The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peaceful times

4 posters

Go down

Peaceful times Empty Peaceful times

Post by Rich1066 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

I have just read the awards topic and its made me want to post more. Used to read from the old 606 days when CJ was the winner of biggest WUM, I always mean to post more but have one from a office job to a very different role and that only leaves me time to view from my mobile, either way must try harder!

The title of these topic may be confusing. The other day I read the thread on which was the best fight Frazier Ali 1 or 3. I decided to watch a few old fights and watched foreman Frazier in Jamaica. Frazier knocked down 6 times! It got me thinking would the fight had it taken place today been allowed to go on as long as it did. I know the sport has got safer but do u think refs jump in to quick? What great fights in history would have been stopped a lot early had they been fought in the modern era. Even in the last few years with the same ref u can see a difference. Take pacman Marquez 1. Marquez down three times in round 1. How many refs would have stopped it after the third knock down? That ref Cortez let it go on yet recently Kirkland vs the Japanese boxer (forgive me I forgot his name) Cortez stopped after the third knock down yet kirland seed no worse than Marquez. Have we got to soft? Or do we have it right, we do need to protect some boxers from themselves.

So which fight do u think would have been stopped if the fight took place now and which ones therefore would have had the result the other way? Also which fighter could have been prevented a bad injury if the fight had been stopped early? Thoughts gentleman

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Peaceful times Empty Re: Peaceful times

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:47 pm

Always thought Watson should have been stopped when he came back out after taking that uppercut, he was literally wobbling all over the place, ref should have waved it off then. It has been ever since then mind, that referees have been stopping fights far too early in this country for my liking.

Cuts too actually, if the Khan/Molina fight had happened in England I could have seen that fight being stopped far quicker from the cut than it actually was.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

The obvious one would be Benn v McClellan. But everyone involved that night seemed to get something wrong.

I think it can depend on who the ref is and where the fight is as well as who is fighting. You still rarely get fights with Mexicans stopped early. But I don't know anywhere else I the world where khan v mcclosky would have been stopped with a cut that minor. I guess the ref and doctor were just as bored as the punters!

Berto v guerreo is an example of some refs still giving people a chance to fight though

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:52 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Always thought Watson should have been stopped when he came back out after taking that uppercut, he was literally wobbling all over the place, ref should have waved it off then. It has been ever since then mind, that referees have been stopping fights far too early in this country for my liking.

Cuts too actually, if the Khan/Molina fight had happened in England I could have seen that fight being stopped far quicker from the cut than it actually was.

I was screaming at the tv for them to stop the fight when Watson staggered from his corner. Actually, I thought the corner should have pulled him out.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down