The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bright spots

+3
Effervescing Elephant
Bathman_in_London
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
7 posters

Go down

Bright spots Empty Bright spots

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Here are Robert Kitson's from the Grauniad:

Robert Kitson's rugby union brightspots of the year 2012

To mark the final weekly blog of the year here are a dozen of the more uplifting rugby union stories, people and places I've encountered since last January …

At this time of year rugby union's unsung, injured, departed and downtrodden should be particularly in our thoughts as we reflect on another hectic 12 months.

Most impressive player interviewed

Katy McLean, the England women's captain, juggles a frantically busy life in teaching with her duties as skipper of the all-conquering national team. A shining example to players of both sexes.

Most impressive coaches interviewed

Stuart Lancaster and Exeter's Rob Baxter are both from farming stock, and each of them appreciates that you reap what you sow. If they ever worked together they would discover a massive amount in common.

Best health bulletin of the year

Michael Lynagh's recovery from a potential life-threatening stroke. The concern expressed around the world reflected the high regard in which the former Wallabies captain is held.

Best player you've only just heard of

Carlin Isles is the 36th quickest sprinter in the United States – which means he's seriously swift – and has recently started playing for the national sevens team. The YouTube footage is well worth watching: could he be the man who promotes rugby to a mass Stateside audience?

Best non-Test stadium visited in 2012

Sandy Park, Exeter. Always a life-enhancing experience.

Best quote

"I am proud to tell you it was here in London in 1871 that a group of burly, moustachioed, mildly inebriated Victorians met at a pub and decided they'd had enough of the namby-pamby pussyfooting around of the spheroid fetishists of Association Football." The mayor of London, Boris Johnson, educates the world regarding the origins of rugby union, aka "the peerless game of the elyptical ball".

Best news

James Robson, the Lions doctor, now reckons the elite game's injury rate is easing, having expressed significant fears in 2009. It is still a brutal trade – six Wasps players were forced to retire prematurely inside 14 months – but, fingers crossed, fitness levels, treatment and rehab are all improving the situation.

Most uplifting pre-match speech

George Hickinson, a former soldier who is suffering from cancer, presented the match jerseys to England's players before their game against New Zealand. Stuart Lancaster is a long-time friend of Hickinson, who used to work as a masseur at Leeds.

Best attendance

The Rugby World Cup qualifier between Madagascar and Namibia was watched by 40,000 people. Rugby's global reach is increasing.

Best initiative

The International Board is looking to boost worldwide participation in rugby union to more than six million players (the current figure is around 5.5m). The Get Into Rugby programme is also looking to develop more coaches and players in such untapped markets as China, Brazil and Mexico. Among other places, rugby is to be introduced into schools in Nanjing and Guangzhou.

Most remarkable rugby participant

The quadruple amputee Lindsay Hilton, who plays scrum-half for the Halifax Tars women's team in Canada.

Most fascinating appointment

Matt Parker, formerly the head of "marginal gains" for the world-beating British cycling team, starts work at the Rugby Football Union in the new year.

And now, for debating purposes over the holiday period, some predictions for 2013
Lions starting XV for first Test v Australia:

(fitness permitting)

R Kearney; T Bowe, B O'Driscoll (capt), J Roberts, G North; J Sexton, M Phillips; A Corbisiero, R Best, D Cole, P O'Connell, J Launchbury, D Lydiate, S Warburton, J Heaslip.

Should tour

L Halfpenny, A Cuthbert, J Davies, M Tuilagi, T Visser; O Farrell, C Murray; C Healy, D Hartley, A Jones, AW Jones, R Gray, S Ferris, S O'Brien, T Wood.

Fighting over the last half-dozen places

B Foden, L Williams, A Goode, A Trimble, C Ashton, C Gilroy, K Earls, B Barritt, J Wilkinson, G Laidlaw, T Flood, F Burns, B Youngs, A Sheridan, G Jenkins, M Rees, T Youngs, R Strauss, M Ross, G Parling, D Ryan, I Evans, C Lawes, L Charteris, R Jones, I Henderson, S Armitage, K Brown, T Croft, J Tipuric, C Robshaw, J Haskell, C Henry, S Jennings, D Denton, B Morgan.

Rising stars this year

Iain Henderson, Joe Launchbury, Sam Cane, Paddy Jackson, Matthew Morgan, Johan Goosen, Freddie Burns, Gael Fickou, Eli Walker, Billy Twelvetrees, George Ford, Matt Kvesic.

Championship predictions

RaboDirect Pro 12: Ulster

Aviva Premiership: Harlequins

Top 14: Toulon

Heineken Cup: Clermont Auvergne.

Finally, thank you for all your posts, tweets and helpful advice in 2012. A Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all

Add your rugby-related "bright spots" to the list

And to echo RK, a very Bright spots 3845856932 Yule and Bright spots 3602195817 New Year to all on the rugby board Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Bright spots Empty Re: Bright spots

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:21 pm

There are some things on there I had forgotten about!

It was good to hear Michael Lynagh back in commentry the other day, very pleased he seems to be on the road to recovery.

Personally a day out with my family to see England beat NZ was a real highlight, it was the sort of game which I can look back on and say 'I was there' and I'm pleased it was with people who I grew up watching/playing rugby with, rather than on a corporate thing or with people I don't know that well.

Also Madagascar's attendance for their game against Namibia is great news for the sport, my rugby wsh for 2013 is to have a better intergrated global system so the smaller guys get a chance to mix with the big boys and dare I say it one day have the chance to play in tournaments outside the world cup.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm

i have an issue with 5.5 million rugby players stat. We all know that England alone has over a billion registered players!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 am

ASBO,
compliments of season to you old chap.

No Sean Maitland in this list ? Typical one eyed english rugby journalist. Run
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:20 am

Eben Etzebeth.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 am

Biltong wrote:Eben Etzebeth.

To play for the Lions or Australia??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 pm

yappysnap wrote:
Biltong wrote:Eben Etzebeth.

To play for the Lions or Australia??
Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 pm

My personal highlight of the year. Being amongst a crowd of English blokes at Twickenham in February watching Wales beat England. Unsurpassed fun and banter, to say nothing of the drinking that followed .... It reminded me of why I love the game.

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm

I was actually watching the second test between SA and England in June, for me it was a game that rivalled the England vs All Blacks game.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down