The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Scarlets Friday 4/1/2013 match thread

+32
AlastairW
PenfroPete
glamorganalun
Steffan
sheephead
maestegmafia
LordDowlais
valjester
Golden
Cari
JayMaster3000
LeinsterFan4life
rodders
The Great Aukster
pioden gorllewin
Don Alfonso
WillyGilly
JmD
profitius
pete (buachaill on eirne)
ScarletSpiderman
VinceWLB
Kingshu
Pot Hale
toml
Standulstermen
Glas a du
clivemcl
Notch
Morgannwg
Jenifer McLadyboy
neilthom7
36 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ulster v Scarlets Friday 4/1/2013 match thread Empty Ulster v Scarlets Friday 4/1/2013 match thread

Post by neilthom7 Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:54 pm

So this Friday 4/1/2013 Ulster take on Scarlets at Ravenhill. Kick off is at 7:05pm.
Ulster are coming off their first league loss of the season away to Munster albeit with a significantly weakened team. I think here we can expect to see a very different looking Ulster team especially with on this game to go before the crucial Heineken Cup final round matches.
The Scarlets are coming off a heavy boxing day away defeat to Ospreys as well and will be looking to close the gap and build momentum into their own Heineken cup ties.
Should be a cracking match with a rivalry that has really developed in the past few seasons I can't wait.
BBC 2 NI are covering th match any other broadcasters I come across will be added as will teams as the week goes on.

Ulster XV
(15-9): A D’Arcy, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Herring, A Macklin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry c, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, J Afoa, N McComb, R Wilson, M Heaney, P Wallace, R Andrew.

Scarlets : Dan Newton, George North, Gareth Maule, Jonathan Davies (capt), Kristian Phillips, Aled Thomas, Tavis Knoyle, Phil John, Emyr Phillips, Jacobie Adriaanse, Sione Timani, Richard Kelly, Josh Turnbull, Johnathan Edwards, Rob McCusker.

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Rhodri Jones, Deacon Manu, Tomas Vallejos, Craig Price, Gareth Davies, Scott Williams, Adam Warren.

Referee: Leighton Hodges (WRU)

Assistant Referees: Sean Gallagher, Brian MacNeice (both IRFU)

Citing Commissioner: Gordon Black (IRFU)

TMO: Marshall Kilgore (IRFU

Last edited by neilthom7 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Scarlets Friday 4/1/2013 match thread Empty Re: Ulster v Scarlets Friday 4/1/2013 match thread

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:59 pm

2 heavy defeats comming for scarlets away to Irish provinces........... hopefully.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Scarlets Friday 4/1/2013 match thread Empty Re: Ulster v Scarlets Friday 4/1/2013 match thread

Post by Morgannwg Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Definitely.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:21 pm

That's the plan Jen but the way this fixture has been going recently and the rivalry we have you never know.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Hopefully we'll see the mighty front row of Tom Court, Rory Best and John Afoa back together. Question is; do we keep Iain Henderson in the second row keeping Neil McComb on the bench or do we keep McComb and Stevenson together and bump Diack to the bench with Hendo at 6? For me, 7 and 8 are easy. Firstly, Chris Henry. Secondly, if we have a pack going forward at Ravenhill the explosiveness of Nick Williams is going to hurt teams. Roger Wilson is the man for Castres.

Halfbacks are easy- the cool head of Ruan Pienaar is necessary at 9 and that means Paddy Jackson will slot in at 10. He probably needs a game to show his poor showing at Leinster was an aberration.

Centres are easy- at this point, the form of Luke Marshall merits more chances. We know Paddy Wallace can come in and perform but Marshall has earned the right to hold onto the shirt and will be partnered by Darren Cave.

Back three of Trimble, Payne and Gilroy with Allen to come in as a precaution if Gilroy isn't just right.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm

I would agree Notch I hope they give McComb a chance because I think he has done well this season. Stevinson will need to come off as he gets back to full fitness so Maybe move Henderson in there later on although Diack has done well they could rest Henderson on bench ahead of the Heineken, and off course would love to see the hulk at 8.
I think I would be tempted to start with
Court, Best, Afoa
Stevinson, McComb
Henderson, Williams, Henry
Pienaar, Jackson
Marshall, Cave
Gilroy (Allen if he is out), Payne, Trimble

Subs- Black, Lutton, Annett (would love to see him get a chance), Diack, Wilson (although he has played a lot since he came back maybe Birch), Marshall, Wallace, D'Arcy

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Is Paddy destined to be our number one bench option for the next few seasons before retirement? Covering 10/12 and full-back (or did i make that up) alongside Allen covering 13 and wingspots.

I also though Heaney was very encouraging and I suspect pienaar won't be replaced when his contract ends. He could potentially be capable of a starting place for a few of the teams in the league.

I think for the sake of the lineout, we should have McComb and Stevenson in second row.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:52 pm

I think he can still force his way back into the team. Luke Marshall is a young fella, he'll go through peaks and troughs. He can be no more complacent about holding onto the shirt than Wallace. If Luke Marshall plays to his potential over a sustained period of time he will start, but how often does that actually happen with players- especially young players

We've got a bit of a problem with anointing players in this country. He's the future so he starts no matter what, or the opposite, he's not in form but he has that big-match experience. If Luke Marshall plays well in the next three games he should be considered for Ireland and if he plays badly it's back to the Ulster bench. Long may it remain so!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Anything less than a bonus point win against the Scarlets will be a failure.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Glas a du wrote:Anything less than a bonus point win against the Scarlets will be a failure.

Let us all stand for the traditional anthem of Welsh Rugby; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvfzrffto2I
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Notch wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Anything less than a bonus point win against the Scarlets will be a failure.

Let us all stand for the traditional anthem of Welsh Rugby; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvfzrffto2I

Laugh OK

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:00 pm

I will be happy enough with the win. Had we given up the BP in munster i would have looked for a BP (as i think munster will get it against cardiff) but as long as we maintain the 9 point gap we had after the leinster game i would be happy enough.

A BP win would be much MUCH more welcome against glasgow a week later!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 am

Don't completely shoot me down here, but our form centres are Paddy and Luke - I think they could combine well, both smart players and solid tacklers - not particularly slow either.

Also think McComb should stay in the team - he's better at lock than Hendy and Stevo at the moment imo. I'd keep Robbie at 6 and Hendy on the bench.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:33 am

Hopefully Scarlets win to make the end of season run-in a little more posterior squeaky.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:47 am

Why? Ulster are clearly superior and it's surely a matter of time?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 am

Paddy and Luke are both 12's. Only room for one of them in the centres for the big games. Were it zebre at ravenhill I would be happy with both. Not against the scarlets.

Henderson has to play lock for me with Diack at 6. Our line out looks so much better with Diack as an option. McComb is great back up but no more and we have two locks fit who are better now

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:37 am

Always look forward to this fixture, Scarlets are a good team, and there is a bit of history.

Hope that both put out strong teams, I suspect Ulster will be putting out strongest available team, for me I may be inclinded to Start D'arcy and have Panye on the bench, this way panye gets a bit more rest. D'arcy gets more gametime (which is needed to get back up to speed after being out for so long, lets face it if Panye get injuried we would be relaying on him at full back. Means Payne can come off bench to either Fullback or center depending on how game goes.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 am

I would go the opposite way. Try and win the game early. Scarlets aren't in good shape after their hammering from the O's and we will need our first choice out there to deal with that and hopefully put the manners on them before we rest guys.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 pm

I think both will put strong teams out, should be a good game, much better than the game played in Llanelli.

I think the key to this game is how the Scarlets front row will cope with Ulster's.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Why couldn't this have been last week? That would have been fitting the WRU shaft us in PYS, and the IRFU shaft you in Ravenhill.

Nevermind, this will be the match that will see the Scarlets back on track and Ulster's grip at the top of hte Rabo start to faulter.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Why, are our forwards about to have an epiphany SS?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Glas a du wrote:Why, are our forwards about to have an epiphany SS?

It will be an amalgomation of Ulster being overconfident, the Scarlets being shamed, international places being on the line, and good old fashion one-eye sydrome.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Laugh

OK, I await that with interest!

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm

IF I was a neutral, I'd be wanting a Scarlets win, to bring Ulster back down to a catchable position in the League. I think even Munster and Leinster fans may be wanting a Scarlets win, so they have more chance of a home Q-final.
Such things are now to be expected, and from an Ulster fan point of view its a good thing, as it means we're doing well.

looking at
http://www.eurorugby.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Rugger&file=latest

Lat updated Monday 17th December 2012
Ulster 3rd Scarlets are 18th, since then Ulster beat Leinster but Lost to Munster, so will prob stay around the same, Scarlets beat Blues lost to Ospreys so will prob be about the same as well.

Surprises me that the team 2nd in Pro 12 are 18th in Europe on current form, Scarlets must really have gone though a bad patch, one win in last 5 games, (against Blues ranked 32nd, will has really seen them slip).

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm

I hope Marshall and Henderson (lock) both start. That is all I wish from this game other than they both play well

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Kingshu wrote:IF I was a neutral, I'd be wanting a Scarlets win, to bring Ulster back down to a catchable position in the League. I think even Munster and Leinster fans may be wanting a Scarlets win, so they have more chance of a home Q-final.
Such things are now to be expected, and from an Ulster fan point of view its a good thing, as it means we're doing well.

As a Munster fan I'll be going for an Ulster win Kingshu. Ulster are going to finish on top anyway so I hope they can take as many points off our rivals as possible. Same with the bottom teams against playoff contenders. Very Happy
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Kingshu wrote:I think even Munster and Leinster fans may be wanting a Scarlets win, so they have more chance of a home Q-final.
No. We want you to win so we have a better chance of a home QF.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:42 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Why couldn't this have been last week? That would have been fitting the WRU shaft us in PYS, and the IRFU shaft you in Ravenhill.

Nevermind, this will be the match that will see the Scarlets back on track and Ulster's grip at the top of hte Rabo start to faulter.

Not impossible by any means. If I'm being honest, no part of me expects to lose this game- at all. I have confidence and faith in my team but I'm not disrespectful enough to crow about it or go predicting a rout. BP or no BP what I hope to see is an Ulster team who demonstrate that they have the will and precision to perform to a standard equal to any in Europe- it's all about entering these two absolutely crucial Heineken Cup games with our tails up, it's all about a big performance at home for our fans. Because next week against Glasgow there are no second takes.

If we do that, we'll win this game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Notch - to be honest looking at the Scarlets last few games I would be willing to predict an Ulster 5pt win, and the Scarlets to be down in 5th-6th after this match.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Ulster squad; http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11057.php

Forwards (15)
Rob Herring, Rory Best, Niall Annett, Callum Black, Tom Court, John Afoa, Adam Macklin, Lewis Stevenson, Neil McComb, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Robbie Diack, Chris Henry, Nick Williams, Roger Wilson.

Backs (11)
Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Ruan Pienaar, Paddy Jackson, Luke Marshall, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble, Jared Payne, Adam D’Arcy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 pm

On the one hand it's disappointing Birch isn't there after he impressed off the bench last week, but then looking at it, there isn't really anyone that I would replace him with. Diack has hit a great run of form this season, he's playing with a hard edge that had been missing from his game for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Marshall was the scrum half to drop out after his performance against Munster. Good to see Gilroy's injury wasn't serious and Tuohy back earlier than expected.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:43 pm

I think everyone has been putting in such sterling performances this season its now leaving people out who could just as easily be in the squad/23. It's really encouraging to see Ali will have plenty of gametime in the future I feel.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:05 pm

All in the garden is rosy then eh?

raspberry

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 pm

No my garden is soaking thats why we built the raven on a hill OK

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

What, so it catches the wind? chin
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Glas a du wrote:What, so it catches the wind? chin

outrageous accusations lol I have always wondered why it is always raining at Ravenhill even when it is suuuu, suuuuu, sunn, sunn, sunny sorry I forgot that word because we haven't seen it in such a while.

Last edited by neilthom7 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:48 am

Teams being announced today I assume?
What are the Scarlets going to look like does anyone know?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:54 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Teams being announced today I assume?

They will be in red and deflated looking from about 60mins

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Teams being announced today I assume?

They will be in red and deflated looking from about 60mins

Erm
Ouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:20 am

Very funny Ladyboy, best mates with the Nordies now are we? I'll remind you that the Scarlets always, without fail, pull off a shock in their Heineken Cup group matches, now the question you have to ask yourself is am I feeling lucky. Well? Do you, D4ite? Do you feel lucky?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:23 am

I guess the team will be named at lunch. Seeing as the citing commision stuff has been done and dusted (McGog is cleared to play, Owen banned til 16th Jan).

I assume it will most likely be the same side that faced the Ospreys, maybe with Tavis at scrum half and McGog at 8.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:44 am

newton
north
maule
davies (c)
phillips
thomas
knoyle

john
e phillips
adriaanse
timani
kelly
turnbull
edwards
mccusker

bench -: rees, r jones, manu, vallejos, price, g davies, s williams, warren
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 pm

(15-9): A D’Arcy, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Herring, A Macklin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry c, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, J Afoa, N McComb, R Wilson, M Heaney, P Wallace, R Andrew.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Ulster still not full strenth, but stronger than last week. Good to see Tuohy back, and D'arcy getting another game.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm

No Payne?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 pm

He's played a LOT this season. Maybe just getting an extended rest?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 pm

WillyGilly wrote:No Payne?

There will be if McCusker continues with the same attitude as he did against the Ospreys.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
WillyGilly wrote:No Payne?

There will be if McCusker continues with the same attitude as he did against the Ospreys.

picard Tumbleweed

Sorry

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Could be worse Scarlets, Macklin is playing you will probably get the best of us in the scrum.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next