The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Rugby Highs and Lows of 2012

+12
Breadvan
Taylorman
bsando
neilthom7
thebluesmancometh
Steffan
ChequeredJersey
rodders
doctor_grey
Gibson
Biltong
Cari
16 posters

Go down

Your Rugby Highs and Lows of 2012 Empty Your Rugby Highs and Lows of 2012

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 6:42 pm

As we make our way through the final hours of 2012, now is a good time to reflect on the year of the rugby supporter. So, share with your fellow supporters your highs and lows from the last 12 months in rugby. They can be anything rugby related from the last 12 months, it's always interesting to look back at what seems like yonks ago sometimes! Here's some of mine that I can think of at the moment to get the thread going. I'll probably add some more before long:

HIGHS thumbsup

The Welsh Grand Slam - even though in my heart I know it's usually followed by a crap international season, the GS of this year was a deserved achievement for the boys following on from the RWC of 2011. Just a shame it went downhill from there...

Tommy Bowe's Six Nations. After six tries in five games, he reached the dizzy heights of becoming Ireland's third top try scorer of all time - just behind BOD and Denis Hickey which isn't to be sniffed at. I loved every one of those tries too!

The Ospreys winning the Pro-12. I honestly didn't think they'd do it, but to pip Leinster to the trophy in their backyard yet again was class.

The return of Tommy Bowe - even if it was in the wrong kit Wink Following a serious operation (see the lows) it was great to see Tommy score two cracking tries for his native Ulster against the Blues at the start to the Pro-12 season in September - right in front of me as well.

The Heineken Cup - really enjoyed watching much of it despite the Ospreys bombing out at the pool stage. Rolling Eyes Some great results - Edinburgh beating Toulouse was one stand-out one.

The return of rugby to the Arms Park. Although I'm not a Blues supporter, I've been to the Arms Park a couple of times now for matches, and it's much better. As a Diff resident, it's good to see rugby back in the City Centre as well.

LOWS thumbsdown

Injuries. Firstly, all the injuries depleting the Welsh squad...and the race to get those players back to fitness...or not as is the case with some and see below...

Tommy Bowe's premature departure from the Ospreys camp due to a haematoma operation which kept him off the pitch until this new season. Following his bevvy of tries in the Six Nations I had been looking forward to his return to the Ospreys. Still, at least the clot was spotted sooner rather than later and he made it back to good health....only to suffer a terrible injury earlier this month with Ulster. It's a shame he won't make it into the Six Nations. Possibly the arse-end of the Heineken Cup fixtures if we're lucky.

The Welsh Summer and Autumn Internationals. Just.... furious Also makes me anxious about the Six Nations...GULP!

The Welsh player exodus and general pesimissim about the Welsh regions...blah blah blah...Can you just get on with the rugby so we can watch it? I have a feeling it's going to drag on and on though...

The death of Nevin Spence - just absolutely shocking, however, it was heart warming to see how the rugby community pulled together and his team mates overcome tragedy.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Your Rugby Highs and Lows of 2012 Empty Re: Your Rugby Highs and Lows of 2012

Post by Biltong Mon 31 Dec 2012, 6:57 pm

Highs.

South African teams in the Super XV, bar the Lions' performance.

First two tests vs England in June.
Australia in SA.

Lows

All the other tests.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 31 Dec 2012, 7:13 pm

Highs: Leinster v Clermont HC SF in France. Followed by the All-Irish Final at Twickers. It was a great gig for so many reasons.

Lows: NZ 60 - Irl 0.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue 01 Jan 2013, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 31 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm

My top 5 Rugby Highs and lows are easy.
1. Playing Rugby with my 15 year old son. And seeing him play confident and well.
2. Lacing 'em up one more time for my club's top XV side and lasting a full 80. If someone sees one of my lungs by the side of the road, please post it to me. It probably looks brown, shriveled, bloody, and a little like a turd.
3. Breaking my nose whilst playing. Why? Because the picture of me nose at 90 degrees is real funny.

Also,
4. Watching the England side beat the All Blacks (though not the huge rush for me I would have expected. Not sure why.).
5. And, the courageous playoff run by the Sharks in the Super XV. Travelling all those miles is unprecedented in sports history.
To make it as far as they did was inspiring.

Lows:
I never really have lows, but the continuing off and on play by Saints is disappointing, but not really a 'low'.
The continuing posturing and lack of any substantive progress between all sides in the Heineken Cup negotiations

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 31 Dec 2012, 11:12 pm

Highs:

So many but a few stand out..

Ulster Hammering Leicester at Ravenhill

Ulster beating Munster at Thomond park, meeting Stag and Notch and visiting Limerick for the first time. Fantastic weekend.

The Heino final at Twickenham... an amazing experience that I'll never forget. Disappointing result but meeting so many great people and seeing Ulster give their all against a phenomenal Leinster side on the biggest stage, the pluses far outweighed the negatives.

New Zealand v Ireland 2nd test. One of the best performances I've seen from an Irish side. Heartbreaking result.

Tommy Bowe returning to Ulster.

Lows.

England v Ireland... NZ V Ireland 3rd test... grim viewing...

Nevin Spence tragic passing. RIP. Gone but not forgotten rose .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 01 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

Highs-
playing rugby, whenever
Quins winning the AP, in fact the whole domestic season, including being at the AP final
Quins turning over Toulouse in France
England vs Ireland, New Zealand

Lows- losing rugby varsity for the first time
Spence's demise
England vs Australia, Wales and SA on tour
Quins losing to Connacht
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 01 Jan 2013, 5:09 pm

Highs:

My nephews local team winning the Salisbury Under 10s tournament beating teams like Bath on the way

Wales winning the Grand Slam

Lows:

Welsh Superclub rugby remaining a joke

Domestic Welsh rugby not being utilised enough

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 01 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

From a personal perspective.

My son making his debut for his school, taking like a duck to water in the scrummaging, I have a video clip of him taking on the opposition front row after his lock and flanker have already broken off.

He is a little monster in the scrum.

Also him standing up to an opposition bully himself.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 01 Jan 2013, 5:42 pm

Highs

The Grand Slam
Being involved with a number of south wales academy teams

Lows

The club games demise in Wales
The fact that Roger Lewis still has a job
Any piece of news that has come out since the GS
Taking the season off coaching or any other involvement (promised the missus I wouldn't over commit for a 3rd season in a row) but replace it with this forum and live rugby anyway Shocked

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 01 Jan 2013, 5:53 pm

Biltong wrote:From a personal perspective.

My son making his debut for his school, taking like a duck to water in the scrummaging, I have a video clip of him taking on the opposition front row after his lock and flanker have already broken off.

Does he happen to have an Irish granny and fancy playing tighthead for Ulster?

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 01 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

The highs for me there are so many on a personal rugby and watching the pros rugby.
Lows
just one the tragic passing of Nevin Spence, his brother and his father. You will never be forgotten rose

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 01 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm

neilthom7 wrote:
Biltong wrote:From a personal perspective.

Does he happen to have an Irish granny and fancy playing tighthead for Ulster?
Laugh Rodders have inquired to his ancestory for the benefit of Ulster and Ireland in another 10 or so years already mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 01 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

haha great minds think alike you know us Ulster men always trying to get South African talent and call them our own lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:53 pm

btw the moment I seen Cari as the author I had a fair idea who would feature prominently in the list lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 01 Jan 2013, 10:35 pm

Highs: Edinburgh beating Tolouse, godman drop goal ( god that was funny), mad comeback win vs metro. Beating aus in their own backyard, Tim visser playing for Scotland, Richie Gray try vs Ireland, ansbro strockers head clash celebration, Hines three man hold down.

Lows: wooden spoon, nevin spence, ansbro neck, dan parks scotland retirement

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:57 am

Mostly highs for NZ rugby in 2012- RC, sxv, Bledisloe, Irish series and all but one test won.
Other than results the maturing of Hansen as the head coach, the introduction of at least 12 new caps, all successful to varying degrees, and being able to maintain the wins while doing it. Illustrates that our rugby continues to thrive and stay on path.
Only down it could be said was the England result but given our highs, not overly concerned, strangely an opinion shared by many kiwis. Losing is good sometimes.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:46 pm

Highs..Ospreys resurgence when Tandy took over then winning the league. England's continued improvement.

Lows..England's purple away kit vomit Ospreys 3 game losing run at the start of the season.

Btw Cari, you forgot to mention Tommy Bowe..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:30 pm

Highs - my son's team winning their league, meeting lots of 606ers' at the HEC final, the progress of Ulster.
Lows - the decline of London Irish, not being able to go to this seasons HEC in Dublin, the flakiness of the Irish team, the HEC negotiation process and what may come out of it.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

Falcons being relegated - Major Low
Their rebuilding and performances this season - Encouraging High

Englands performance v SA in the summer (INEPT) - Major Low
Englands performance v NZ in the AI's - Encouraging HIgh

So no major highs for me...more like encouraging signs from both club and country.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

neilthom7 wrote:btw the moment I seen Cari as the author I had a fair idea who would feature prominently in the list lol

Neilly boy, you know me too well already...and TB did give me some major highs and lows...ah but that's heart isn't it? Didn't Ronan Keating sing a song about it being like a rollercoaster or something...? Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:16 pm

Cari wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:btw the moment I seen Cari as the author I had a fair idea who would feature prominently in the list lol

Neilly boy, you know me too well already...and TB did give me some major highs and lows...ah but that's heart isn't it? Didn't Ronan Keating sing a song about it being like a rollercoaster or something...? Very Happy

Laugh he did but you know what the restraining order says cari no rollercoasters lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

Restraining order?! No I got the opposite of one of those...at least I think that's what the letter says Wink

Here, I'm in Ireland from next Thursday. Going to the Weegies match at Ravenhill too. If you're around give us a wave. I'll be sat on Tommy's good knee... laughing

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:33 pm

Haha i don't find myself looking at Tommy's knees much but I will keep an eye out for you. Yeah i will be at the match all being well.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

Highs

Being at the Millennium Stadium for the GS game v France.
Watching Cross Keys win their first ever silverware with the Swalec Cup.
Seeing Suspicious Lurker annoy Gordon D'Arcy at Twickenham after the HC Final.
My first drink after serving in Afghanistan coinciding with the Triple Crown game at Twickenham.

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

bradley davies. the 6N tip/dump tackle and AI blindsided.

on the up side. GS. woot.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:44 pm

High was probably the Chiefs' season, as well as the All Blacks playing in a manner befitting their mantle of world champions. Before the last game they had every trophy available to them so they'll be well up for grabbing it back in November.

Lows-well the number of injuries was unfortunate. SA and Aussie had so many marquee players out it was a shame. I'm strangely more peeved about the Aussie draw than the England loss as I was gunning for that record. Has been the third time in the last seven years or so we've had a shot and I was at the Ireland game in 2010 and Italy in 2012 so would have seen the record fall on two occasions. The England loss was sour but it was the one game I missed due to being on a plane to the US and they played one of their best ever games so that's a high for rugby. Richie McCaw not getting the Player of the Year. Sorry DC. SBW going to league again. He still wasn't the finished article but man he was well on the way.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down