The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Middlesex

+3
MuchHappierSurreyFan
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
7 posters

Go down

Surrey vs Middlesex Empty Surrey vs Middlesex

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 26 Apr 2011, 8:56 pm

Squad is:

The Hyphen (captain)
Michael Brown
Gary Wilson
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Tom Maynard
Chris Schofield
Gareth Batty
Chris Jordan
Yasir Arafat
Stuart Meaker
Jade Dernbach
Tim Linley

I assume that one from Jordan, Arafat and the Viscount will be selected. I would like to see Jordan given a chance, or if he's not ready, then the Viscount.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Middlesex Empty Re: Surrey vs Middlesex

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Apr 2011, 9:45 pm

Corporal - I assume that Meaker is fully fit (he was off the pitch for much of Glammy's 2nd innings). On that basis, I agree your one of Arafat, the Viscount and Katie Price is most likely. Whilst I don't believe Arafat deserves his place tomorrow, I can't see Adams dropping him. Therefore probably the same team as last time.

A quirky - and admittedly remote - alternative would be to drop one of Wilson and Brown (they've been adequate but no more), promote Davies up the order to open and play not one but two of the three you've identified to bolster the bowling. I wouldn't advocate this for tomorrow but it might be considered before long if things remain unchanged; ie the openers failing to go on to make decent scores, Schofield and Batty continuing to bat excellently and the current bowlers struggling to wrap up the opponent's tail. Whilst I still remain unconvinced by the spinning skills of Schofield and Batty, their batting has been tremendous and that alone justifies their inclusion for now.

Unfortunately, as you note elsewhere, I won't be able to judge Berg tomorrow. It does seem that the Ice Man's England chances have melted away for now .... Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Wed 27 Apr 2011, 7:59 am

I will just be happy if we can get Chris Rodgers out as we never seem able to do this. We need to bowl a team out soon or might just cry. Two draws and a win is a solid start, two draws and a defeat is a poor start.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 27 Apr 2011, 12:48 pm

Arafat trying to prove us wrong so far, unfortunately there appears to be a partnership building now. 77-3.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 27 Apr 2011, 4:46 pm

Not even the end of the first day yet and already it looks like the best we'll get is a draw. Sad

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Apr 2011, 7:37 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Further comment to follow once I've calmed down, had a drink and braced myself to read Lover's inevitable posting about the Mighty Middle! For now - censored

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 27 Apr 2011, 8:11 pm

BBC report says we bowled badly, which I believe. 3 times in a row we've had the opposition on the ropes and then let them back into it, although at least this time it was 2 batsmen and not their numbers 9 & 10....

It is clutching at straws a bit though, isn't it?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Wed 27 Apr 2011, 8:23 pm

Thank god for Yasar,is all I'd be saying if I was Surrey supporter because the rest were truly awful.
Put us in and then bowl dross,unbelivable and the field placings were very strange.
Attack by all means ,but when Middlesex are scoring at 4 an over plus,why keep three or four in catching positions.
Having said that Dex and Simmo were most impressive.
I expect to see better from the South London Trundlers tomorrow GB,but we'll be looking for a maximum points haul from this one. 🤦

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 27 Apr 2011, 9:50 pm

furious furious Sad A deeply depressing day. Compounded by the news that Surrey won the toss. This looks like a throwback to the season before last when our bowling attack was minor counties standard at best.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Apr 2011, 10:49 pm

Evening all (yes, even you Lover),

A highly frustrating day. Bowling started so well with both Arafat and Dernbach (unlucky in his opening spell not to get a wicket) on fire but petered out dreadfully and permanently after lunch. I was really puzzled by the decision to field. Seemed strange and inspired by lunchtime and just plain wrong after that. Even when wickets were falling in the morning, batting conditions still looked good (sunny with only a little cloud). From early afternoon onwards, they seemed ideal (blue sky with no cloud at all). I felt for Michael Brown who was at times practising shots on the boundary edge whilst seeming to cast envious glances towards the wicket. Maybe his day will come tomorrow but I thought his first opportunity should have been today.

To be fair to Middlesex and Lover, Dexter and Simpson were impressive displaying sensible early caution and after that stylish aggression. However, we didn't do nearly enough to make life difficult for them.

One plus point (hardly any after lunch) is that Jordan seems back to full fitness. He was often racing around the boundary edge and pulled off several fine stops. Also good to see many of the team happily signing autographs for children. To his credit, one of the signatories was twelfth man Schofield; he had more reason than anyone else to chuck his toys out of the pram having been dropped after his 99 last time out but outwardly seemed unruffled.

As Depressed said, 'Two draws and a win is a solid start, two draws and a defeat is a poor start.' Very hard to see us getting a win from here. At best, I think it'll be three draws in a row which is hardly inspiring.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 28 Apr 2011, 6:56 am

If we end up getting a big score as well then I'll be a little less harsh on the bowlers but I have a feeling from what I have seen/read that there is a bit in this pitch and that Middlesex's bowlers will exploit it. I'm worried about this one.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 28 Apr 2011, 6:13 pm

I think we may all need 'depressed' in front of our usernames now. Part of me is a bit bitter that we don't have our England bowler but they have theirs. Either way a pathetic performance in this match (Maynard and Batty aside you have to say).

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Apr 2011, 6:59 pm

Absolutely dreadful (Tommy Boy aside). mad

Corporal - apologies but I'm going AWOL this evening and so won't be around to help you restraining Lover's celebrations! I suspect you may have to draft in extra troops ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 28 Apr 2011, 7:04 pm

This is the first time in 3 matches that we've batted badly, and it has to be expected from time to time. The trouble is that we've been pretty toothless in all of our bowling performances which means one bad batting display and we're screwed. If we can't get 20 wickets we'll never win a game.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Thu 28 Apr 2011, 9:14 pm

Not here to rub it in chaps,we've been there enough times to know the feeling.
Sure you'll put up a better show tomorrow,but I'm still looking for a day off on Saturday, Very Happy

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 28 Apr 2011, 10:45 pm

Lover - very restrained in the circumstances. We've been well outplayed so far Sad Crying or Very sad

Carrot - agree about the names. "Depressed Carrot" has a certain ring to it. Tho it does sound a bit like the kind of mis shapen vegetable that used to appear on That's Life...

Guildford - off to drown the sorrows.... ?

I wonder whether Harinath is in line for a possible recall as an opener?

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:29 pm

I would hope so...

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 29 Apr 2011, 9:02 am

Pre-season quote from Depressed responding to Corporal's suggestion that he would be disappointed if Surrey were not pressing for promotion:

"forget being disappointed I will be livid if we are not at least pushing for promotion. We have had long enough now to sort out our problems."

We seem to be pressing for the wooden spoon. furious mad If we subside with little or no fight today we'll need to watch out for Depressed! :flag:

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:04 pm

73 - 4 - Looks like a very early finish mad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:12 pm

Davies and Wilson currently putting up a fight but surely too late.

I've just seen on the Club website that Ramps is playing for the seconds in a one day game tomorrow with the hope that he may be ready to play against Leics in next week's CC match. Given he wasn't expected to be back until the end of May, a tremendous recovery or pure desperation!

Lover - a very gracious response, thank you. Most of here have been around the block enough to know that defeat is an inevitable experience at times. It is the manner of our play in this match together with Adams' spin that rankles so much ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

Took too long to type my last post!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:28 pm

Davies to be stranded on 98 not out?

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:32 pm

Looks like good bowling conditions for Roland Jones - we need the sun to come out. Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:36 pm

Corporal - more like the rain to chuck down!

jbd - welcome aboard.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:39 pm

Maynard gives his wicket away .... The white flags are being unfurled :flag:

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm

I've turned my eye to watching if little James Taylor can get his first class average up to 50. (currently 49.47!)

This game is a write off for us...

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:45 pm

Also, if you want to divert your attention away from the Surrey match, but still want to keep an eye on the cricket, I am seeing if Woakes can bat Warks out of a big hole against Durham, as well as Danny Briggs' efforts against Somerset.

Anything but the Surrey match basically!

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:49 pm

Good to have jbd and Tibor on board to share the pain around. I am on beer drinking duties in a few minutes at our street party!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

In keeping with your community spirit to volunteer for that, Corporal! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri 29 Apr 2011, 2:07 pm

He's done it!

Taylor now averages 50 in f/c and list A, great prospect he is.

Oh, is the Surrey match still going on....

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 29 Apr 2011, 3:01 pm

Cheer Guildford - hic!

Jordan bats well then throws it away. Jbd - Davies heading for his 98 no

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri 29 Apr 2011, 3:23 pm

Well at least he wasn't left stranded, Davies out for 94...

Crawling towards an innings defeat.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Apr 2011, 5:02 pm

Well, Tibor, we have crawled there now! Dreadful team performance. Congratulations already conveyed to Lover on the Middlesex part of this site.

There is a members' cricket forum at the Oval next Thursday. Suggest Adams wears a hard helmet ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 29 Apr 2011, 11:09 pm

Well today was as bad as I expected it to be, in fact this is exactly what I thought would happen at the end of day one. Very poor that we didn't even put up a fight but we definitely let the opposition get 100-150 too many and from there it was always an uphill struggle.

The main positives from the 3 games are Batty and Meaker's bowling figures (even though they haven't been 'match winning') and Maynard and De bruyn's batting. Unfortunately all of the good performances are sporadic and individual as shown by Maynard in the first innings and Davies in the second, along with Batty's bowling in Middlesex's innings.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:58 am

Middlesex are in tremendous form,and with everything going for them ,Surrey were unfortunate to come up against them at such a time.
If I were you guys I'd not be too despondent,there are worst teams than Surrey in the division,and I'm pretty sure you'll be there or therabouts come Septermber,not so sure that Grizzly will be though!
Best of luck for the rest of the season.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down