The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The lockout has ended!

2 posters

Go down

The lockout has ended! Empty The lockout has ended!

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jan 2013, 7:08 pm

The NHL and NHLPA have announced that a deal to end the current lockout has been reached:

FROM NHL.COM:

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association reached agreement on the framework of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement early Sunday morning.

After a marathon 16-plus hour negotiating session at the Sofitel Hotel that began Saturday afternoon, the sides announced an agreement in principle shortly after 6 a.m. Sunday.

The League did not announce the start date of the season or the number of games each team will play. Those details will be announced soon.

The deal, agreed to at approximately 4:40 a.m., was announced jointly by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr in the same hotel conference room where the negotiations were conducted with the assistance of Scot Beckenbaugh, Deputy Director for Mediation Services for the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service.

"Don Fehr and I are here to tell you that we have reached an agreement on the framework of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the details of which need to be put to paper," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "We have to dot a lot of I's and cross a lot of T's. There is still a lot of work to be done, but the basic framework has been agreed upon. We have to go through a ratification process and the Board of Governors has to approve it from the League side and, obviously, the players have to approve it as well. We are not in a position to give you information right now about schedule, when we are starting. It's early in the morning and we have been at this all day and all night, obviously. But, we will be back to you very shortly, hopefully, later today with more information in that regard."

Fehr, meanwhile expressed an eagerness for his constituency to get back to playing hockey after a negotiation that stretched across 113 days.

"Any process like this in the system we have is difficult; it can be long," Fehr said. "I've said repeatedly throughout this process, somebody would say, 'What do you see ahead?' And, the answer was, 'You get up tomorrow and you try to find a way to do it and you keep doing that until you find a way to succeed.

"As Gary just indicated, we have the framework of a deal. We have to do the legal work and we have to do the constituent-communication work. At least, from my [standpoint], and I'm sure Gary's too, we need to let them know the details before we tell all of you. Having said that, hopefully, we're at a place where all those things will proceed fairly rapidly and with some dispatch and we'll get back to what we used to call business as usual as fast as we can."

Beckenbaugh, who took part in these negotiations at three different junctures of the overall process, worked with both sides from this past Wednesday until the deal was finalized Sunday morning. Commissioner Bettman praised the work of Beckenbaugh and thanked the mediator for the role he played in the potential settlement.

"I want to recognize the extraordinary contribution that my colleague, Scot Beckenbaugh, Deputy Director for Mediation Services, made in providing herculean assistance of the highest caliber to the parties throughout the most critical periods in the negotiations," FMCS Director George Cohen said as part of a statement.

The new CBA, which still must be drafted and formerly approved by both parties, would replace the agreement that expired Sept. 15.

More to come.
Will be exciting to see when the season starts, and what shape all the rosters are in. Who do you follow / what are your expectations for the coming half-season?

Back to top Go down

The lockout has ended! Empty Re: The lockout has ended!

Post by Guest Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm

Apparently they're just finalising the details now but season is scheduled to start 19th according to report on BleacherReport

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

Fantastic news - I bet the players can't wait to get going, its going to be an intense season!

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:13 am

I've only ever followed hockey very loosely, although I'd like to get into it more. Problem I have is that it is on Premier Sports or something and I have Sky/ESPN only, so all I see are highlights on NHL.com

I always used to like the Colorado Avalanche, but that was back in the 1999 season when they had Peter Forsberg and Patrick Roy...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:29 am

Exactly when I used to hate the Avs! Being a Vancouver Canucks fan, they used to destroy us in those days. The tables have turned now, we're the dominant team in the NW Division, and the Avs are struggling badly...we have an Avs fan at work and he literally runs the other way when he sees me coming Laugh

That Avs team was fantastic though, one of the best I've seen in my 20 years of following the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:39 am

I used to play as them on NHL 99 and I guess that was because they were the best team at that point, either way if I ever got back into the game I would probably stick with my first instinct even if they stink. I tend to support teams that stink from western America.

We have a Canadian bar not too far from where I work that I think shows hockey games when they're on. Next time there is one I will keep an eye out and try and watch it.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:40 am

Well there should be plenty of hockey action very soon, provided this 'tentative' agreement is firmed up The lockout has ended! 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Jan 2013, 3:16 pm

So the season begins on 19 January - this Saturday - with my team the Vancouver Canucks hosting the Anaheim Ducks as part of a back-to-back weekend. Edmonton visit on the Sunday.

The Canucks signed Cam Barker on a pro-rated 1 year, $700k deal yesterday. I really think he can step up, get his game back, and start producing again. Put him on the second PP unit, he'll get shots through.

Am hoping that the Nucks trade Schneider instead of Luongo though. I love Bobby Lou.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

Hawks leading 3-0!

back in business! lets do what the Bears could not

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

We play San Jose tomorrow night. Can't wait.

Sodhat. I cancelled ESPN and am going to get Premier Sports but until now I just watched them online. You can get some really good links, although to adhere to site rules I won't post here. If you want them just hit us with a PM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:33 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:Hawks leading 3-0!

back in business! lets do what the Bears could not

Against the Kings as well. Stanley cup champions my backside

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

4-0 now

indeed we are maybe we can actually repeat 2010 !
the team has played very well

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 10:33 pm

Haven't been watching but I know the kings have a goal back

I've got the penguins fliers game on, some really good hockey on show. Pena up 2-1 with two minutes gone in the 3rd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 19 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm

we have a goal back to lol its 5-2

LETS GO HAWKS!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2013, 8:02 pm

Canucks got hammered Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Mar 2013, 6:47 pm

Can't believe Iggy has gone. Sad day for calgary

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:40 pm

Sad day for the Nucks as well, we really respect Iggy, I just hope we beat the Pens in the finals Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm

Haha I'll keep an eye on the penguins now Iggy is there

Calgary just seem to be falling apart at the minute, bouwmeister traded to St. Louis, kipper could be off as well to Toronto

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:45 pm

Worse, Kipper is staying and retiring in the summer! Comeau traded today as well. Not many Flames left!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down