The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Iron Duke"

4 posters

Go down

"The Iron Duke" Empty "The Iron Duke"

Post by Ospreydragon Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm

I'm reading this book, about the life and career of Bobby Windsor, and have almost finished it. It is outstanding, and one of the finest rugby books I've read. I highly recommend it -- it's at times hilarious and very sad and upsetting, but it gives a real insight into 70s Welsh club and international rugby (of which I have fond memories) and reveals just how much Windsor gave to Welsh rugby. An outstanding book about an outstanding, truly great player. It also describes the infamous incident in the match between Wales and NZ in 78.

There's a review here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/8264666/Steve-James-Bobby-Windsors-enthralling-biography-shows-the-Wales-legend-still-packs-a-powerful-punch.html

Last edited by Ospreydragon on Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

"The Iron Duke" Empty Re: "The Iron Duke"

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:52 pm

Osprey,

Had it for xmas 11 and its a great read and he was a great player
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:52 pm

I read Lynn Howells book covering his Ponty days, the demise of the Celtic Warriors and his Wales days with Henry very interesting. Howells does contradict himself saying he wanted to get away from the WRU but he provides consultancy for them on potential coaches. Worth a read as he has comments about Howley, Humphries, P Thomas, Hanson and architect of regional rugby.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:24 am

Did you know that the ‘original’ Iron Duke (Duke of Wellington) got the soubriquet not because of his performance in his long and distinguished military career but as a derogative name received in his political career after he put up iron shutters to stop the rabble smashing the windows of his residence at Apsley House.

(queue Michael Caine accent) Not a lot of people know that.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down