The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spinks vs Holyfield at 190 - who wins ????

+2
Seanusarrilius
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Spinks vs Holyfield at 190 - who wins ???? Empty Spinks vs Holyfield at 190 - who wins ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

Hagler didn't want to know Spinks.....Spinks we know wanted the fight...Consensus agrees that he was all wrong for Marvin!!!

However Holyfield is an interesting proposition...at 190...

They both measure up pretty good and both were small heavyweights!!!!

Holy would be busier and would trouble Spinks with his relentless workrate and triple jab, Holy had more heart...However Spinks was smarter and was top class at spotting openings!!..Was also unpredictable and had a strange style which bemused the opposition.. A truly wonderful 175er...

The jinx probably would have been as effective at 190 as well.......Holy though had a quality chin.....

Tough call.....but I pick Holy to break his heart...Spinks stays in his corner after the 11th!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Spinks vs Holyfield at 190 - who wins ???? Empty Re: Spinks vs Holyfield at 190 - who wins ????

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm

Holy for me, too. Holy would get inside and really go to work. Rough house him and wear him down.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Spinks vs Holyfield at 190 - who wins ???? Empty Re: Spinks vs Holyfield at 190 - who wins ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:12 pm

Has to be said Holy looked awful against Ocasio........A similarly awkward fighter..

However Tillman, Deleon, Parkey were all given a slap....

Spinks did however beat Qawi easier than Holy.......2nd Holy-Qawi fight Dwight wasn't interested as he wasn't against George..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:37 pm

Holy - proved himself the best ever at cruiser, if that isn't damning him with faint praise, and then arguably one of the most courageous heavyweights of all time.

I never was that convinced by Spinks above light-heavy, to be honest. Very lucky to land a 2-0 scoreline over a Holmes who, by then, was going life and death with fighters like Spoon and The Truth and looking awful against Bonecrusher and Bey. Apart from that, he KOs Cooney's shadow and the only Viking against whom you might have backed Ethelred the Unready. Can't imagine Holyfield ever quailing before Tyson as Spinks did, even the Iron Mike of 1988.

No, for me it's Vander all the way. Too rugged for Spinks, who could forget about KOing Holyfield with the overhand right. You suggest that Evander breaks Mike's heart, and I reckon that's accurate. KO 8, I'd guess.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

Ethelred sounds like someone with sunburn....... Wink

I agree Spinks was pigeon chested and never looked like a heavy...However though 190 might be achievable for him.......

Right about Holmes 2...dreadful decision...but Larry should have got him out of there!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

Great, great match up Truss, one that I've never even thought about before. Nice work.

It's a nightmare one to call. Both good jabbers, and both with great stamina - it was a late rally from both men which saw them pull clear of Qawi (excluding the second Qawi-Holyfield fight, of course).

That said, I still think that 190 lb suits Evander a little more than it does Michael. When Qawi, himself a career Light-Heavy much like Spinks, managed to get inside, Spinks was being pushed back to the ropes and corners quite often (he got bundled to the ground quite a few times in that bout in the middle stages, I recall) - and that was at 175 lb. Holyfield was a solid Cruiser through and through when at his peak, and if Qawi can get to Spinks' body as easily as he did in the early to middle stages of their fight, then I dread to think what kind of damage Holyfield might do if he catches up with the 'Jinx.'

Ten rounds fought on a frantically equal footing, with plenty of back and forth, before Evander's strength and tenacity overwhelms Spinks to the point of being stopped anywhere after that point.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

I'd suggest a Manny-type catchweight but unfortunately Holy struggled to make weight so 185 is out of the question.......

We all seem to be envisaging the same fight!!!

Thanks for the opinions....interesting...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

Evander for me also. Spinks had nothing that Evander could not handle, where as the pressure, tenacity of Holyfield will cause a clean stoppage any time after the 6th round.

Another fight to consider would be how David Haye would match up against Spinks as I think we all pretty much agree Evander was untouchable at 190lbs.

I lean towards Haye on a close decision as I think his natural advantages would be neutralised by Michael's awkwardness and underrated power. David would hit hard enough to keep Michael honest and a tad cautious throughout and would play out similar to Spinks Holmes II

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

"Nothing that Evander couldn't handle........"

Whilst I agree with the pick...I disagree with your assessment!!! Spinks was very awkward and many top quality fighters struggled with him...

Holy struggled with lesser fighters like Ocasio, Stewart and Dokes...

you're selling Spinks short..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

Not selling Spinks short Truss but Evander was an exceptional cruiser weight but also went on to show his full qualities at heavy.

The timing of this fight would I presume would have been after Holyfield's win over Qwai which for me would have put him in good stead to deal with Spinks from a magnitude of the fight point of view. Also by that time I doubt if Michael would have been able to handle the rampaging Evander.

Did not mean for it to sound like it would be an easy night for Holyfield as it wouldn't be; just think by the time they would have met he would have had too much.

I agree about him struggling with certain fighters but Ocasio makes everyone look bad and Evander was the smaller man against to streaking heavyweights and should be commended for the wins.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:49 pm

Your opinion is a good one and most welcome..

Misinterpretation on my part..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

I'm fairly sure when this debate has cropped up in the past, I've gone with holy, so ill stick with that -giving him a clean sweep at the moment. Their paths were only a year or two out from a viable meeting, so its shame that these 2 didn't meet. If we're talking prime for prime, then you have to think that Holy's physicality would win the day.

The qawi fights are an interesting yard stick. I rate him highly and spinks handled him a little more comfortably than the cards suggested, whereas the first holy fight was a real war. Now, styles make fights etc but a great pressure fighter like dwight struggled to get to spinks. The bigger, holy would be harder to keep at bay, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Late stoppage or hard fought points for Evan

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down