The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quins team to play Connacht

+12
George Carlin
neilthom7
Rory_Gallagher
Artful_Dodger
AlastairW
Brendan
bluestonevedder
Kingshu
LeinsterFan4life
Geordie
ChequeredJersey
yappysnap
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Quins team to play Connacht Empty Quins team to play Connacht

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

Teams up:

Ugo Monye, who was one of nine Harlequins players named in the England Elite Squads earlier this week, returns on the left wing and will make his 200th appearance for the club.

Monye is one of seven changes to the team that defeated London Welsh last weekend. Mike Brown starts at full-back with Matt Hopper and Tom Casson returning to partner in the centres.

Olly Kohn is named in the second row, while Maurie Fa'asavalu joins Nick Easter and captain, Chris Robshaw in the back row.

Following their involvement against London Welsh, Charlie Matthews, Tom Guest and George Lowe are named among the replacements.

Harlequins Team

15. Mike Brown
14. Tom Williams
13. Matt Hopper
12. Tom Casson
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Danny Care

1. Joe Marler
2. Joe Gray
3. James Johnston
4. Olly Kohn
5. George Robson
6. Maurie Fa'asavalu
7. Chris Robshaw (C)
8. Nick Easter

16. Rob Buchanan
17. Mark Lambert
18. Will Collier
19. Charlie Matthews
20. Tom Guest
21. Karl Dickson
22. Ben Botica
23. George Lowe

Interesting to see the continued rotation policy in the centre's. JTH doesn't even make the bench but Casson/Hopper is probably the perfect combo to help us get the try bp and secure the pool, Hopper in particular will be out with a point to prove as he's not in the Saxons any more.

Only reservation is big Mo starting, he's looked pretty off form for most of the season and i'd have really preffered this game to see Robshaw at 6 and Wallace at 7, or even Robshaw rested on the bench and Guest/Wallace play on the flanks.

By the way this week we'll have 12/15 EQ players starting and another 7 on the bench, not bad at all especially as that's probably the largest foreign contingent that we can field.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Quins team to play Connacht Empty Re: Quins team to play Connacht

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

Great to see Casson getting to play regular rugby
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

Whats he like as a player...small and creative...or has he got a bit of size to him?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

Naopu, Poolman and Parks all out for Connacht. Its going to be tough for Connacht without them. Can't see them winning.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

Connacht (v Harlequins): R Henshaw; T O’Halloran, E Griffin, D McSharry, F Vainikolo; M Jarvis, K Marmion; D Buckley, J Harris-Wright, N White (capt); M Swift, M McCarthy; A Browne, J O’Connor, E McKeon.

Replacements : E Reynecke, B Wilkinson, R Loughney, M Kearney, E Grace, P O’Donohoe, M Nikora, J Loxton

Connacht have made three changes for their penultimate Heineken Cup pool game against Harlequins at The Stoop tomorrow afternoon (1.35pm), two of them in the backrow.

Johnny O’Connor returns to the pack after injury and will operate on the openside, with Eoin McKeon replacing the George Naoupu at number eight. Andrew Browne is the only survivor from the win over Dragons last weekend.

Matthew Jarvis will start his third Heineken Cup game, having been named in place of injured outhalf Dan Parks, while outside him Tiernan O’Halloran is on the right wing, with Fetu’u Vainikolo named at number 11.

“This weekend is a massive opportunity for us,” said coach Eric Elwood today. “We’re going to play a hugely strong team who are English champions and top of the league at the moment. They’ve blitzed everybody in our pool so far.

But the good news for us is that we’re going there with confidence after the win against Dragons last week.

“We had a great game against Quins here in October where we both tried to play ball and we’re going to have the same mind-set this week. Its Heineken Cup rugby and we want to show people what we can do. It’s going to be difficult but we know the challenge facing us and we want to play our game.”

Miah Nikora, who returned to training last week following injury, is named on the bench along with replacement winger James Loxton, who could earn his first Heineken Cup appearance on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2013/0111/1224328700153.html

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:49 pm

I thought Wallace might start this game to be honest. How was his appearance from the bench last week?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Whats he like as a player...small and creative...or has he got a bit of size to him?

Good all rounder i'd say but in particular more like a second fly half, his top skills are distribution and kicking but he's a bit more physical then having a 10 at 12.

Saying that he is 6ft and over 14 stone so not exactly a light weight.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:59 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:I thought Wallace might start this game to be honest. How was his appearance from the bench last week?

I didn't see last weeks game but before that he's been one of Quins best players especially in the A league and LV. Hopefully he'll get a good run over the 6N's at least.

Tbh i'm just always amazed at how quick he is and his handling skills.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:08 pm

Glad to see Quinns putting out a strong side as it says alot about how they are taking connacht.

Don't think Connacht will be close lose by 10pts but think Quinns will only pick up four points. Connacht will not expect to win but need a lbp and hope that quinns then go and beat Biarritiz in the last round.

Henshaw to score the first try but thats about it.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:21 pm

Casson's a 12 who could play 10 rather than vice versa. Excellent handling and passing skills, useful boot, nice attacking instincts. He's not small but not huge, just a very different option to JTH or Botica, gives us a lot of variety in the centres
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:28 pm

yappysnap wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:I thought Wallace might start this game to be honest. How was his appearance from the bench last week?

I didn't see last weeks game but before that he's been one of Quins best players especially in the A league and LV. Hopefully he'll get a good run over the 6N's at least.

Tbh i'm just always amazed at how quick he is and his handling skills.

Nice one, cheers Yappy.

He's a heck of a player, with great hands as you say. He's played on the Sevens circuit I think? Hence his good speed for a flank! Pretty useful at the breakdown too.

Hopefully as you say, he'll get some game time over the Six Nations.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:36 pm

Brendan wrote:Glad to see Quinns putting out a strong side as it says alot about how they are taking connacht.

Don't think Connacht will be close lose by 10pts but think Quinns will only pick up four points. Connacht will not expect to win but need a lbp and hope that quinns then go and beat Biarritiz in the last round.

Connacht are not being taken as push over Brenden. They tonked us last season, and pushed us hard in the initial fixture, and they'll be coming to the Stoop to play hard. Can't wait to take my seat for this one i have to say!

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:52 pm

AlastairW wrote:
Brendan wrote:Glad to see Quinns putting out a strong side as it says alot about how they are taking connacht.

Connacht are not being taken as push over Brenden. They tonked us last season, and pushed us hard in the initial fixture, and they'll be coming to the Stoop to play hard. Can't wait to take my seat for this one i have to say!
Quins v Connacht games are very entertaining. Plenty of attacking rugby on display from both teams

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 11 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

AlastairW wrote:

It wasn't meant as a slight. It shows how they are both progressing. Connacht do play more of the open attacking game and their back line is nice as was shown in this fixture last year.

I think it could be a good running game but low enough scoring. Unlike Os v Tigers that could be a mud fight and nothing else.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:09 pm

Brendan wrote:
AlastairW wrote:

It wasn't meant as a slight. It shows how they are both progressing. Connacht do play more of the open attacking game and their back line is nice as was shown in this fixture last year.

I think it could be a good running game but low enough scoring. Unlike Os v Tigers that could be a mud fight and nothing else.

A slight? I need to sort my typing out, it was meant to be a compliment to Connacht Smile

The Stoop pitch has pretty good drainage, and doesn't easily turn into a swamp, so conditions permitting, a game of solid running rugby is on the cards.

Isn't O's pitch a pretty good synthetic/real grass blend? That should stop I becoming too much of an old school mud fight. Like their previous fixture though, I suspect it will be very crunchy affair with the odd back break away run here & there.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:29 pm

It does show Connachts progression over last few years,

A few years ago, Connacht would have intrested Quinns as much as Zebre would, but now it seams that Quins fans are actually looking forward to a good game.

Connacht team is good enough, E Griffin and D McSharry may be the best center pairing in Ireland at present.

Vainikolo is dangerous, just ask Scotland.

Swift, M McCarthy are a good lock pairing, and M McCarthy is the one going to Leinster next year and would be a star player for Connacht

Marmion seams to be a fine scrum half, young and could be an Ireland contendor in a few years.

Henshaw; T O’Halloran are young and rated highly, in the back 3.

In the league Connacht have had a very good defensive, scoring has let them down even with some very good backs.

I recon Connacht will be able to keep it close (wish Parks was there to keep scoreborad going) and will end up with LBP

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:58 pm

if connacht don't get a lbp they are out of the race for second and a possible amlin quarter which i think they coulod fancy their chance in.

For all the slating of Parks he does what needs doing and as you said if its in their opponents half he will usual get them 3pts per visit.

Nothing aginst NOC but if Parks was there last year they would have got at least one win v Glaws instead of two near misses

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

should be a good game, Quins just need to focus and play for the full 80 for once and not the 40-50min's that we've been playing this season.

Hopefully the get out of jail card we gave LW last weekend will have woken the boys up a bit.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat 12 Jan 2013, 10:06 am

Well, looking out the window this morning seems to be weeing it down. Can't see it clearing up in the next few hours either.

Going to be greasy out there. Excepting fumbles from both sides. Could turn it into a turgid affair, or it could just make it more interesting.

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:53 am

Yea weather isn't looking too good at the moment, but to be honest that could be perfect. Connacht should be the ones chasing the game, we just need to do our basics well and get the four points any which way.

On a side note I saw Clegg played his first game for Leeds on the weekend, helped steer them to a good win away as well OK

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

Good start from Connacht. Looking dangerous with ball in hand. Henshaw and Marmion impressing again

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

Very impressive start by Connacht could have had a try there.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:49 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Good start from Connacht. Looking dangerous with ball in hand. Henshaw and Marmion impressing again

Griffin too. They are so dangerous in the backs.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Great break by O'Halloran.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:03 pm

Connacht certainly are not afraid it is great to see. Great young backline. Quins defence has been shaky a lot for others to take from this.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

Quins are playing their high tempo offloading game and they're very good at it. But Connacht are containing it well by committing few men to the rucks and keeping a well organized defensive line.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:05 pm

Should also point out Connacht backs are very very dangerous. I think Pat Lam has plenty to work with at Connacht.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

O'Halloran is having a fantastic game, he looks extremely dangerous.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

Why can't they play like this in the Rabo? Also they look a lot more dangerous with Jarvis at 10.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

Connacht don't have one player contesting the rucks at times cause they know Harlequins are going to move it and keep their fluid passing and offloading game going. Its an effective way of dealing with Quins offloading game. Harlequins should box a bit more clever and attack the fringes of the ruck.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:14 pm

Well thats unfortunate for Connacht, having dealt with Harlequins offloading game they get done in the set piece....

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:17 pm

Connacht can play like that in the Rabo but they are free of pressure today so maybe that helps. Most Rabo teams know how to play Connacht better too as in you use your forwards to batter them then when you get the chance kik the door down

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:22 pm

Connacht backs looks livewire. Quins wisely keeping it tight and choking the life out of the game - dull, but effective.

Jarvis playing very well indeed.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:37 pm

Great stuff from Mike Brown for that try.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:38 pm

Class from Brown....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

Connacht down to 13 men.. oh dear.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:53 pm

Ref pretty hard on pro fouls in the red zone

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:56 pm

Silly idea to push Monye 5 meters in front of the touch judge.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

Slight exaggeration..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Ref pretty hard on pro fouls in the red zone

think he's being pretty hard everywhere. think he's had a pretty good game though.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:59 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Slight exaggeration..

who me?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:00 pm

And that is 12

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

that was nowhere near a straight throw in?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

ah maybe it was.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

well done connacht

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:06 pm

Good for Monye

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

Bonus point try, I think in the context of next round rankings they needed that.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:09 pm

Mike Brown has such an appetite for the game, I'd like to see how many carries he gets through.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 12 Jan 2013, 3:26 pm

Mike Brown deserved MOM - great performance. Well done to Connaught for not giving up.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 13 Jan 2013, 1:07 pm

Well done Connacht on a very good performance.

So pleased for Monye getting a try on his 200th game and what a quality score it was, quarantee if that'd been Wade the commentators would have gone berserk.

Brown seems to be hitting an even richer vein of form prior to the 6N's, hopefully we shall see him at 15 for England as the other options are playing pretty poorly now.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next