The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italy

+16
Morgannwg
HammerofThunor
Shifty
thebluesmancometh
johnpartle
Cyril
George Carlin
EnglandRose
formerly known as Sam
aqualung
TJ1
Scrumpy
dallym
LeinsterFan4life
Brendan
bsando
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Italy - Page 2 Empty Italy

Post by bsando Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought i'd do a semi brief analysis of the Italian team. They have become a bogey team for Scotland, thrashing them at Murrayfield in 2007 and I can't remember the last time we beat them away in Italy. Australia have had several close encounters with Italy as have Wales, England and Ireland (6-3 half time, Italian try with hardly any time to go, O'Gara saves the day at 77mins). We all know Italy beat France in 2011 so they are by no means an easy team to overcome. So I think its safe to say every team in the 6 Nations has had some nervy encounters with Italy.

By simply looking at their squad of players you can see many points of interest. Firstly their Forwards average age is 28 years old and their backs is 26.5 years old. There is experience in their ranks. The forwards are perhaps the most impressive aspect of their squad. I think any country would be happy to have legendary prop Castrogiovani or Sergio Parisse in their team. They may be a little older now but they are still incredibly good.

The thing about Italy and there forwards is they're bloody tough to break down. Therefore they use this to their advantage allowing there FH, SH and backs time for well placed kicks into touch, or forcing penalties as the opposition get frustrated. For example…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0j8nTQ9EpE&t=49m50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2QL8j2Rw1g&t=9m0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2QL8j2Rw1g&t=6m53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17yl36vUxDs&t=18m37s

However, Italy can be broken down. When teams manage this it can spell disaster for Italy. Faced with a mountain to climb they have to try and score tries which subsequently results in less emphasis on the forwards and more on the backs. Italy also love to keep the opposition off the scoreboard and thus it is a common sight to have a score line of 3-3 or less at HT. Therefore it is imperative to get points on the board early to prevent them building confidence, as England did so very well in 2011...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPuZEdgmKz8&t=1m38s

So who should we look out for? Well my eye is on Edoardo Gori, (SH). He is a quick fella and had great game vs Aus and was good in last years 6 nations and in autumn internationals.

Andrea Masi is another fantastic Italian player who is a big boy and capable of playing in several positions. I'm sure Wasps fans will know more about him than I do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-HxaoYjBA&t=23m30s

Other players of note include Francesco Minto, had a cracking game vs Aus last year and is a decent lock IMO. At 25 he is young and close to his prime, definitely a threat this 6 Nations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-HxaoYjBA&t=19m40s.

There is also experience. Such as Zanni in the backrow and Canale (another interchange player) who plays his rugby at Clermont. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2QL8j2Rw1g&t=3m36s

Finally, I think Italy should be feared this 6 Nations. They're not a push over team at all and could easily surprise a few people this 6 nations. I am expecting a fierce and gritty contest at Murrayfiel. I doubt very much that France will feel comfortable returning to Rome this year and I doubt very much that Welsh and Irish fans are looking forward to their teams games in Rome either. Therefore, I think Italy may well be the Dark horse of the tournament this year and will slay a giant or two!

Hee Talia!! cake (Tiramisu)

bsando

Back to top Go down

Italy - Page 2 Empty Re: Italy

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

Still, I don't think Italy are that far behind NZ at all, I mean the kiwi's were stuffed by England, another performancelike that v Italy would definately see Italy beat them!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Hammer, I think your the wrong way round, are we better yes. Capable of beating them right now probably not!

I think we have very VERY different views on what 'better' means in terms of rugby teams

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:08 pm

Well done Italy!!!!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:36 am

TJ wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:To be honest, I'm not really sure that Italy have kicked on. They can be a stubborn side to beat at home and will get one-off wins occasionally against sides like Scotland and Wales (and an off-colour France) but I'm not sure they're any better than when they joined the 6Ns. They're generally dreadful away from home.

I can't see them finishing any higher than 5th and that probably relies on either Scotland or Wales being poorer than them.

Well when they first joined the 6N this was true - but no longer. while England and France are above the rest there is very little to chose between the other 4 sides. They have got better and better and gone from regular thrashings and occasional wins to regular wins and occasional thrashings.

One off wins? Look at the record.

Nice one Italy - a well deserved win. Odds on them to finish in the top half now?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 04 Feb 2013, 8:51 am

This is a great platform to start their 2013 6N. Parisse said they needed to start kicking on in the terms of win/lose and they all put the mileage in.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

Italy now go to Scotland with a very good chance, and home against Wales could see Italy being 3 wins from 3.

If that happens they will travel to England in a very confident mood.

England could lose to Ireland and France in the mean time...

Before there were questions about if Italy should be in the 6 nations or not, if they can follow this up with another win, then there should be no questions,

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:25 am

I think Italy could win in Edinburgh and will probably win against Wales in Rome.

I do think that Ireland should beat them, but at Twickenham, England could very easily cjalk up a cricket score.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:37 am

I picked up England/Italy tickets simply because they were on Ticketmaster, and i thought why not, my Mrs has never been to a 6N game and it's always a fun day out.

After seeing yesterdays display of pure guts i'm very excited for this fixture. A lot of Rugby to go between now & then though, so first things first, worry about next Sunday .....

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 04 Feb 2013, 1:22 pm

I'm happy to see Italy consistently improving, even if it does mean Scotland are pushed to the bottom. Hopefully this'll be the SRU's wakeup call to completely restructure.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2