The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Perez - Heavyweight

+4
Lance
eddyfightfan
AlexHuckerby
neilodonnell
8 posters

Go down

Mike Perez - Heavyweight Empty Mike Perez - Heavyweight

Post by neilodonnell Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Has anyone any idea why in his 19th pro fight (@ Liverpool Echo Arena on 23/02/13), he is only fighting in a 4 round contest?!

I was under the impression this guy was showing some promising signs, yet things have gone quiet since Prizefighter.

Thanks

Neil

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Mike Perez - Heavyweight Empty Re: Mike Perez - Heavyweight

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm

To be totally honest I have no idea, I was looking at this earlier and was scratching my head, have to be fair he has hardly fought recently, so maybe he is looking to just ease his way back into it now and hopefulyl start fighting regularly. Not sure whether it's promoter troubles or what really. He looked like a genuinely decent HW, good skills pretty quick on his feet and decent power but seems to have completely gone under the radar after impressing quite a few people.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 pm

this guy really baffles me. i was really interested in this guys career, and saw him at prizefighter and thought he was a genuine talent, but he went quiet for 6 months, apparently visa problems held him back. he resurfaced and beat 2 decent journey men within a month and half, then vanished for over a year. he was rumored to be fighting fury at the end of 2012, perez's camp said they wanted the fight but were never contacted. he was then scheduled (amazingly) to fight ruslan chagaev, although that fight now also appears to have fallen through. he has great power and a tyson like come forward style, im truely amazed his promoter and trainer have let him sit so long in the sidelines, after winning one of the best quality prizefighters ever. maybe the 4 rounds indicate he wants to fight often, with another hw prizefighter in march, he may even be looking to become a 2 time winner?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 pm

he had a great night at prize fighter, and his name has been mooted on here ever since. but he looked pretty average in the 2 fights hes had since and not fought for over a year. i wouldnt expect him to ever fight for a world title

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 pm

neilodonnell wrote:Has anyone any idea why in his 19th pro fight (@ Liverpool Echo Arena on 23/02/13), he is only fighting in a 4 round contest?!l

Because he is not dedicated and unfit. Simple.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 pm

so it would seem, but a huge shame, hopefully theres some underlying reason. lance, hes dropped that far of the radar i havent been able to find his 2 fights since prizefighter- record shows he lost hardly lost a round, but not seen them.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Think the fact he's actually not that good would be a big part of it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think the fact he's actually not that good would be a big part of it.

Impossible he's Cuban! But in all seriousness the fact he may be unfit, not dedicated & not actually that good would seem a valid reason. Since when has a fit, dedicated & good heavyweight had problems with getting fights especially in this day & age?

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:59 am

Visa and personal problems have dogged him, think he will be more active in future. Looks very good and if dedicated to the sport could be a major player in coming years and could get in the reckoning very quickly by KOing one of the stiffs above him in the rankings like Fury this year.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

I do think the Prize fighter competition can be very misleading. Yes he looked awesome in winning it but it must be said against very basic competition. Added to that, if you look at the list of previous winners of this tournament for heavyweights you will see they have all struggled and exposed when matched against decent opposition over 10-12 rounds.

The look and style of similarity to Tyson got too many excited because the division is so weak at the moment but even if he got motivated and fit (even during Prizefighter he was far from fully fit) he would still struggle against Fury, Price let alone against Wlad. Where as he destroyed Tye Fields, in these guys he would be fighting big men who actually think they will win and not used up chinless wonders.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down