The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10

+25
Roller_Coaster
NickisBHAFC
milkyboy
laverfan
88Chris05
Adam D
kwinigolfer
Shelsey93
Il Gialloblu
Mind the windows Tino.
Mike Selig
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
Fists of Fury
mystiroakey
superflyweight
Diggers
dummy_half
Duty281
Hoggy_Bear
super_realist
guildfordbat
VTR
Stella
MtotheC
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Please vote for the competitor you believe has achieved the most in sport and should progress into the next round.

v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap32%v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 20 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap35%v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 22 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 18 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 62

Poll closed

v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Empty v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10

Post by MtotheC Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:50 am

First topic message reminder :

Yesterday’s group was dominated from start to finish by Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps who bagged 37 from 80 votes totalling 46% of the vote, joining him in round two as group 9 runner up was American baseball legend Babe Ruth who went through with a 3 vote advantage over boxing’s Mike Tyson, also leaving the tournament at the first stage is the iconic All Back Jonah Lomu.

Today’s group sees Tennis, baseball, Motor Sport and Cricket compete for your votes.

We have just the one participant championed today with an article written by forum members, so please feel free to submit your own argument below for the one not championed.

Please vote for the competitor you believe has achieved the most in sport and should progress into the next round.
Please leave a comment as to why you voted

Valentino Rossi- Motor Sport- Championed by CJB

Arguably the most talented driver in all of motorsport, Valentino Rossi fell in love with minimoto and karting very young. Rossi would finally begin to concentrate on the two wheeled racing when the increasing costs of karting was too much for Graziano Rossi, a talented racer in his own right.

After impressing on the national and European level, Rossi was given a chance to impress in the 125cc category on an Aprilla. At only 17, Rossi would impress with a race win and a third leading to a ninth place finish despite five crashes. He would go on to dominate the 125cc class just a year later with 11 wins in 15 races. This would earn him a move up a class to the 250cc class where in two seasons he would win 14 races with seven other top three finishes. In his first season he would come a close second behind more experienced teammate Loris Capirossi while his second season would earn him the title and a move to 500cc bikes, the premier class.

His first season although blighted by three retirements would see two victories and a second place finish. However it would be his second season where Rossi would really come into his own. He would dominate winning his first world championship in the premier class. This would be the first of three World Championships on the Honda bike often considered the best. Each of the titles were dominant with an average winning gap of almost 110 points, with 31 wins of the 48 possible.

Rossi would continue in similar vein at Yamaha winning two more World Championships to take his toll to five consecutive and seven overall titles. However the next two years would be a struggle for Rossi with a 2nd and a 3rd in the championships and only nine wins, losing to Hayden and Stoner. Rossi would successfully return to the top of the pyramid with another 15 wins and two more world titles to reach seven premier class title and nine world championships in any class.

Whilst it is futile to not include Rossi in the discussion of the greatest motorcyclist of all time a case could be made to describe him as the most flexible and talented of all motorsports. When Rossi tested the Ferrari F1 car in 2006 he would finish just over half a second behind the most successful F1 driver ever, Michael Schumacer, after only 3 days, an impressive feat. He has also shown a talent for Rallying finishing 11th of 39 in a World Rally Championship race in 2006. Rossi is often called the GOAT (Greatest of all time) by those in the know of the sport and has inspired some of the current crop of great riders such as Stoner, Lorenzo and the late Simoncelli.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10 - Page 3 Empty Re: v2 G.O.A.T Round 1 Group 10

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:44 am

This is a rubbish group.

I suggest that we cancel it.

You also have my permission to annul the first group, the one with the unkown American who runs around in tights, the drug-peddling peddlar and the anonymous man.

ghost

rotapicname

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:55 am

In fact I think all the remaining groups should be sent to me, emancipator, universal international intergalactic gatekeeper, so that I can sort out the rubbish.

I'll get rid of the following:

- fat blokes (no fatty can be the GOAT)
- women (unless cooking and cleaning are to be considered as sports)
- If it doesn't fit the shoe test it's out (thank you Tina)
- Anything that doesn't require athleticism (darts, snooker and anything else of that ilk)
- One nation sports (so that means all the uncle Sam sports except Michael Jordan)
- Any 'sports' that I haven't heard of
- Any 'sportsman' that I haven't heard of

That will do for now.

The minions may add further suggestions if they so wish.

ghost

rotapicname

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:02 am

Emancipator,
I'll add to the shoe test, the trouser test, i'e slacks like golfers and cricketers wear, knitted jumpers also.
Any sport in which you stop for lunch.
Requirement of a car, or motorised vehicle in which you clearly gain an advantage if you are in a better one, Ditto horses.
Sports which competitors are awarded scores by a panel of judges (except boxing)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:08 am

Yes, yes, Super, excellent suggestions.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 19 Jan 2013, 5:45 pm

emancipator wrote: - women (unless cooking and cleaning are to be considered as sports)

The only sport I would then consider worthwhile, would be honey-making. Laugh

emancipator wrote:- Anything that doesn't require athleticism (darts, snooker and anything else of that ilk)

Federer raising his arm to hit a Tennis ball is very different from someone raising an arm to throw a dart? Shocked

emancipator wrote: - One nation sports (so that means all the uncle Sam sports except Michael Jordan)

You do not consider Japan, Korea, LatAm nations as separate nations, but imperial colonies of the USofA? Whistle

emancipator wrote: - Any 'sports' that I haven't heard of

Curling? Pooh Sticks?

emancipator wrote: - Any 'sportsman' that I haven't heard of

Perhaps the minions can point to WiKi pages, if necessary.

emancipator wrote: That will do for now.

The minions may add further suggestions if they so wish.

ghost

rotapicname

Just kidding, Emanci. Ok!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:36 am

If its not a contact sport then it aint a sport.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:55 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
If its not a contact sport then it aint a sport.

egg
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3