The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikey Garcia

+3
BoxingFan88
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
7 posters

Go down

Mikey Garcia Empty Mikey Garcia

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

So what is everyone's opinion on this guy then?

I think we have to remember that it seemed that most were picking Salido and for the fight to be very difficult either way, what transpired was Garcia dominating, even more that I imagined he would. I felt that he would either flop against Salido or it would bring out the best in him, it really did bring out the best in him. He was terrific in nearly every aspect. The one main area I thought that he would damage Salido was the jab, he jabbed brilliantly and forced Salido to come in faster and faster causing him to bend his knees every time he was coming in giving a straight tell for Garcia and catching him with the jab or left hook every time.

I wasn't overly sure of Garcia's power, but I think it's very real, it seemed as though he caught Salido square on a couple of times, but having great timing gives you a better edge I the power department and that's something that Garcia seems to have in abundance.

Salido looked as tough he had lost a slight step and I was wondering it coming in, lots of wars, lots of punishment taken by JuanMa and Gamboa recently, was knocked down twice by Haya, however had always roared back to win those fights and he looked as though after a terrible first half of the fight was coming back into proceedings. However, I'm not entirely sure, I find it difficult to judge whether it was sheer desperation and going for a last chance saloon type rally or whether he was genuinely getting a foothold in the fight.

Overall I thought that Mikey Garcia gave a terrific account of himself and showed that he was the real deal, and did a fantastic job, kept his smooth style, he just impresses me through and through with his mentality and maturity beyond his years. Can't wait to see how his career ends up going because he seems like a guy who genuinely isn't afraid of testing himself and wants to push himself against the best.

Thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Mikey Garcia Empty Re: Mikey Garcia

Post by hampo17 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

Think you've summed it up perfectly Alex. The lad certainly has scary power.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

Just read that Salido believes Garcia's corner quit and that he was making a comeback.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

I think that Salido head butted him on purpose to force it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

His nose was pointing in a different direction to be fair to the lad.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:54 pm

I can't believe the amount of stick Garcia is getting from some sites, if it was a punch, then fair enough he has to continue, but it was a blatant headbutt. Its a boxing match not a tough man contest, he had every right to ask for the scorecards he was winning by such a landslide, that Salido pratically needed to have another fight and win a 12 round shutout to catch up!

Garcia looked great, even though Salido looked to have lost a bit. Great win for him!

We commend boxers when they carry on in difficult circumstances, (Marquez, Abraham) but should not be berating them for stopping for the sake of health. Salido was no way in a month of Sundays going to get anywhere near winning the fight and Garcia had been fouled and could have had some serious (injust) damage done.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:32 pm

Mikey Garcia has a great career ahead of him. Under his brother, Mikey is gonna become a beast.(And yes I was backing Salido prior the fight)

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:55 pm

Yes, I got this one as wrong as it's possible to be. Like the idea of Donaire-Garcia in about 18 months from now!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:36 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Yes, I got this one as wrong as it's possible to be. Like the idea of Donaire-Garcia in about 18 months from now!

Never going to happen, they have the same trainer.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:37 pm

Just cause I feel like bragging, I called this one right Very Happy

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:43 pm

There once was a time, boxingfan.... Can stable-mates never fight each other any more? The refusal of the Klitschkos to batter each other I can understand, but sharing the same trainer seems a slight reason not to fight a (potential) divisional rival.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:There once was a time, boxingfan.... Can stable-mates never fight each other any more? The refusal of the Klitschkos to batter each other I can understand, but sharing the same trainer seems a slight reason not to fight a (potential) divisional rival.

Depends who gets the short end if the straw or they both choose neutral trainers who don't really know them as are there not really to give advice

Beside that they spar each other and are really close friends so I doubt it or it could be a non spectacle if they isn't go for the KO in fear of hurting one another

Garcia said he'll rematch Salido due to the circumstance of the win and said that he'll like to fight Gamboa at 130 if Gamboa is up for it

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:02 pm

Arce was a very close friend of Donaires, didn't stop him knocking him out quite brutally.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down