The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shingler is heading back home to wales

+5
BigTrevsbigmac
Morgannwg
pioden gorllewin
Cyril
maestegmafia
9 posters

Go down

Shingler is heading back home to wales Empty Shingler is heading back home to wales

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:12 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21044107

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Shingler is heading back home to wales Empty Re: Shingler is heading back home to wales

Post by Cyril Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

Is he moving to Llanelli because he wants to be closer to Scotland?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Shingler is heading back home to wales Empty Re: Shingler is heading back home to wales

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

Good move for both parties I guess (given that Shingler possibly wants to play for Wales again). I was kind of hoping he'd end up at Rodney Parade.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:27 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Good move for both parties I guess (given that Shingler possibly wants to play for Wales again). I was kind of hoping he'd end up at Rodney Parade.

If he wants to play flyhalf he could probably walk strait in to the Scarlets, must be better than playing 2nd division rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:46 pm

Straight in when Priestland isn't there yeah probably.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Straight in when Priestland isn't there yeah probably.

Aled Thomas has been crippling Scarlets over the last few months... They need someone else urgently and they are absolutely bare in the cupboard with injuries

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 21 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

with a 80% percent kicking average he is needed even if rhys wasn't injured. think rhys's kicking average is something like 52% at the moment which is unacceptable. Not having a consistent kicker this season has cost us on a few occasions.

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 21 Jan 2013, 5:01 pm

Scarlets need a player like him, so a good move to bring him home. With his pro rugby experience I'd say he should keep guys like Aled Thomas and Dan Newton out of the team. No offence to those guys, they're doing their best. But with Shingler coming backs and more back progressing up through the ranks their days could be numbered.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

What happened to Jordan Williams, wasnt that kid showing some promise earlier this season?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm

Injured

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Good move for both parties I guess (given that Shingler possibly wants to play for Wales again). I was kind of hoping he'd end up at Rodney Parade.

If he wants to play flyhalf he could probably walk strait in to the Scarlets, must be better than playing 2nd division rugby.

Bit harsh on the Dragons Wink

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:55 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Bit harsh on the Dragons Wink
I was referring to London Irish who are in a serious relegation battle

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:41 am

Rev,

It would have been nice but the way Edwards is running things at the moment and constantly chopping and changing the tram every weekend he would have most probably been shunted all over the park.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 22 Jan 2013, 5:50 am

A good signing, but I wonder if he will end up being move of a utility back, being suffled around between fly half, centre and fullback, in order to get him intot he side for his goal kicking, as opposed to being given a run in one shirt. Also this could be a bit of bad news for other 'utility' backs as they are less likely to get into the match day 23 if steve is being selected to kick goals.

As a side note, I think Jordan Williams should be fit for the U20s 6Ns (at some point), and Gareth Owen should be back from his ban this weekend.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:28 am

spiderman:

possibly a back three of :

15: Shingler
14: Liam Williams
11: North

Allows Rhys to stick at 10 to get our backs moving, and still have Shingler as a kicking option. Not sure how much gas shingler has for 15 though. I am slightly worried how many utility backs we have at the moment in Shingler, Owen, Newton (who I rate) Jordan Williams etc.....
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:33 am

Pioden - Yeah I was thinking something like that as a first choice, but then maybe moving him to the centre (if there are injuries) and having Fenby on the wing, and Sanjay at fullback.

I think Owen is really in a bit of a cack position really, he needs to come back from this ban and put a marker down in a position whilst the internationals are away (be it in the centre, fullback or fly half) as otherwise I think he could find it very hard next season as he doesn't have youth on his side (well not as much as Jordan and Dan).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:44 am

who are the boys out of contract this summer?

think a few of the 9's are, Dan Newton, Maule, Reynolds, Fenby, scott willaims, warren.....and in the forwards manu, all the hookers, timani, edwards, pugh, turnbull, mccusker etc...

so can see some movement this summer. With the new PRGB board have heard we are waiting the outcome on a few decisions before deciding who to release. Mainly the hooker and 9 situation, as WRU want to move a few players around the region.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:31 am

Pioden - I can't believe the WRU will be wanting to move people around the regions, to where they want them, that is so unlike the WRU.

Is Aled Thomas out of contract this summer?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:32 am

Shingler will be first choice outside half.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:40 am

i thought aled signed a two year deal last year....but spoke to someone who is convinced it's up at the end of the 2012/13 season.

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:43 am

I know he signed the start of the 2011/2012 season because he was not playing particularly well during the RWC, but not sure whether or not he renewed last season
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:08 am

Don't know if I like the idea of WRU moving people around, I'd prefer the regions organised swapies, or helped each other more.

Can you loan a player to a team in the same league as you? I know in football it's ok, they just can't play against there parent team. What about Rugby do loans have to be down a division (ie, champioship or Welsh Prem?) or to a different league.

If loan moves were organised better we could see a number of squad players move to Dragons each year. Ok Dragons would rather build a team of players rather than have players added and removed each year, making it hard to build team spirit, but a couple of loans each year would help with player development and squad depth at the Dragons.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

looks like shingler wont be the only new recruit coming in this summer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21145056

Head coach Simon Easterby has said he is keen to bring in more players to strengthen his Llanelli Scarlets squad.
The Welsh side have re-signed fly-half Steven Shingler and Easterby says he wants to add more players in the summer.
"There's a couple of areas we'd like to recruit in," Easterby said.
"It's definitely something we have to look at. Like anything it will come down to the resources available to us."
The former Ireland international added: "I know the board and the business is working hard to try to provide as much resources as possible for us to do that.

Steve [Shingler] coming in will give us options across the back line because he can probably play in three or four different positions

"Hopefully that will come and we will be able to strengthen the squad, which I think we've already done with the signing of Steve Shingler.
"We need to be able to try to do that in other areas as well."
Easterby concedes players will leave the Scarlets at the end of the season, but did not comment on hooker Matthew Rees' future.
The former Wales captain's current contract expires once the season ends and the 32-year-old has been linked with a move away from Parc y Scarlets.
"Inevitably there will be players who are out of contract that will be leaving and there will hopefully be players that we will be able to bring in," Easterby added.
"Very rarely do you not lose players at the end of each season and rarely do you not bring players in.
"Until things are confirmed and signed off we won't be able to release any comings or goings, other than the ones we've already done.
"We'll have more clarity on that in the next couple of weeks in terms of those that could come in and those that might be leaving."
Easterby is delighted the versatile Shingler has rejoined the Scarlets from London Irish on a three-year contract.
Shingler's signing was announced on the same day his brother Aaron agreed a new three-year deal.
"It shows the supporters that we are trying to be pro-active and move forward," Easterby said.
"Steve coming in will give us options across the back line because he can probably play in three or four different positions and he will also add huge value to the goal-kicking as well.
"Steve has been here before so he knows what this place is all about and that was a big thing in him coming back.
"Deep down he's a Scarlet at heart and he wants to play for the region and he wants to play with his brother [Aaron] which is great.
"Aaron's come forward and stepped up in the last couple of years and moved away from the second-row position to focus more on the back-row."
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:37 pm

Sorry, the more I hear the more I think this man is a Clown

"It shows the supporters that we are trying to be pro-active and move forward,"
-v-
"Steve has been here before so he knows what this place is all about and that was a big thing in him coming back"
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Jan 2013, 5:50 pm

Kingshu wrote:Don't know if I like the idea of WRU moving people around, I'd prefer the regions organised swapies, or helped each other more.

Can you loan a player to a team in the same league as you? I know in football it's ok, they just can't play against there parent team. What about Rugby do loans have to be down a division (ie, champioship or Welsh Prem?) or to a different league.

If loan moves were organised better we could see a number of squad players move to Dragons each year. Ok Dragons would rather build a team of players rather than have players added and removed each year, making it hard to build team spirit, but a couple of loans each year would help with player development and squad depth at the Dragons.

Yes, loans happen at the regions. Aled Brew, for example, came to the Dragons on loan form the Ospreys. They recalled him when he was doing well and they were short, but he ended up coming back and signing permanently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down