The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray - Fed Semi Final preview

+31
Mad for Chelsea
HM Murdock
LuvSports!
sportslover
Born Slippy
MurrayHype
socal1976
hawkeye
prostaff85
Chydremion
TRuffin
carrieg4
FedsFan
laverfan
super_realist
barrystar
gboycottnut
lags72
banbrotam
CaledonianCraig
Danny_1982
The Special Juan
newballs
break_in_the_fifth
Tropicalfruiter
JuliusHMarx
Silver
Josiah Maiestas
Henman Bill
User 774433
invisiblecoolers
35 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Murray - Fed Semi Final preview - Page 2 Empty Murray - Fed Semi Final preview

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Murray Perspective :-

As the draw opened up nicely Murray didn't have to unleash any of his weapons in the first week of the tournament, while everybody expected his QF to be an easy st.sets not even the hardest of Murray fan would have imagined it would have been this easy, Murray unleashed his fury over a pity full Chardy for demonstrating his new improved forehand by series of winners from both wings, Murray was not even happy to let Chardy earn a point even on his own serve. Looked like he wanted a point to prove to French man who had his numbers last time around.

Strengths -
1]Improved Forehand, looked devastating against Chardy
2]Consistent First serve
3]Wheels, Murray hardly sweat inspite of running for every point, the intensity of running round the court could only be matched by Ferrer at the moment.
4]Belief , with the monkey of the back after USO win, Murray looks deadly to me.
5]Returns , right now arguably the best in the tour.

Weakness -
1]Second Serve, Chardy was just too bad to punish him on all occasions but even he did on many occasions, stand and deliver return
2]Focus drop, for some reason Murray drops focus in the mid match, leading 4-0 he drops focus to let his opponent comeback, serving for the match he get broken when Chardy himself has given up Murray comes with a double fault to gift the break to the opponent.
3]Nervousness, Murray need to overcome his nervousness against his boogeyman in slams.

Opportunities -
1]Double Back Hand - Arguably one of the best in the modern game, but for some reason its not at its best shape in this tournament, even several commentators pointed it out, down the line shots would work wonders.
2]Multiple GS champ - A title which he would really like to have and could inspire him to do better.
3]Ambition of being NO.1 - Murray clearly believes he could become no.1 in the future, what better time than now, a win here would boost his chances big time.

Threats -
1]Lack of tests - means Murray's actual weapons are untested in this tournament so far, its really hard to say how good it would be against Fed/Nole.
2]Fed still looks hungry
3]Not much practice at the night session.

Federer Perspective

Strength -
1]Hunger to compete - Fed no longer worried about results or records and playing pressure free tennis and loving his fights over young cubs.
2]Knows the opponent game - Fed exactly know what he needs to do to win a game let alone Match against Murray.
3]Serve - Arguably the best after Sampras, and undoubtedly the best for any player above 30 to played the game.

Weakness
1]Movement - Age is catching up and the movement is not as fluid as it used to be, while Tomic and Raonic exposed a bit Tsonga exposed it big time with flurry of winners both wings.
2]To the Backhand strategy - Murray has learned this trick early and has used to his strengths
3]Focus drop - Like Murray Fed's focus do drop in between matches, he is suddenly worried what his twin daughters doing outside watching his game.

Opportunities -
1]Absence of chief tormentor - Nadal's absence means Fed knows the title is in his racket and his to lose.
2]Aggressive pace - New aggressive pace of play gives opponent no time to breath let alone think a strategy when thinks do go planned, should use it wisely against Murray.
3]Nothing to prove mindset - pressure free Fed is ultra dangerous on court.

Threats
1]Stamina - Bit cooked after Tsonga match
2]Tough draw taking his toll.

Over all Murray in view starts Favorite by 70-30 margin, I like both players and hence this view coming from neutral perspective. Both have their strength but I guess the draw at some point should take its toll on the soon to be 32 year old. However given Fed's capability and the will to win he won't make it any easier for Murray, if for some reason Murray comes nervous and Fed brings his A-game he will cook him for the breakfast in st. sets.
To me its Murray's match to lose, confident young man at his prime against an old guard, prediction would love Fed to win but Murray to win easy.

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Murray - Fed Semi Final preview - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray - Fed Semi Final preview

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 24 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

it was me that made the cancer charity connection. Check out the Glenn McGrath Cancer charity which he set up after he lost his wife to cancer. It has a trait of incorporating pink into wickets at cricket matches etc.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Murray - Fed Semi Final preview - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray - Fed Semi Final preview

Post by gboycottnut Thu 24 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Murray Perspective :-

As the draw opened up nicely Murray didn't have to unleash any of his weapons in the first week of the tournament, while everybody expected his QF to be an easy st.sets not even the hardest of Murray fan would have imagined it would have been this easy, Murray unleashed his fury over a pity full Chardy for demonstrating his new improved forehand by series of winners from both wings, Murray was not even happy to let Chardy earn a point even on his own serve. Looked like he wanted a point to prove to French man who had his numbers last time around.

Strengths -
1]Improved Forehand, looked devastating against Chardy
2]Consistent First serve
3]Wheels, Murray hardly sweat inspite of running for every point, the intensity of running round the court could only be matched by Ferrer at the moment.
4]Belief , with the monkey of the back after USO win, Murray looks deadly to me.
5]Returns , right now arguably the best in the tour.

Weakness -
1]Second Serve, Chardy was just too bad to punish him on all occasions but even he did on many occasions, stand and deliver return
2]Focus drop, for some reason Murray drops focus in the mid match, leading 4-0 he drops focus to let his opponent comeback, serving for the match he get broken when Chardy himself has given up Murray comes with a double fault to gift the break to the opponent.
3]Nervousness, Murray need to overcome his nervousness against his boogeyman in slams.

Opportunities -
1]Double Back Hand - Arguably one of the best in the modern game, but for some reason its not at its best shape in this tournament, even several commentators pointed it out, down the line shots would work wonders.
2]Multiple GS champ - A title which he would really like to have and could inspire him to do better.
3]Ambition of being NO.1 - Murray clearly believes he could become no.1 in the future, what better time than now, a win here would boost his chances big time.

Threats -
1]Lack of tests - means Murray's actual weapons are untested in this tournament so far, its really hard to say how good it would be against Fed/Nole.
2]Fed still looks hungry
3]Not much practice at the night session.

Federer Perspective

Strength -
1]Hunger to compete - Fed no longer worried about results or records and playing pressure free tennis and loving his fights over young cubs.
2]Knows the opponent game - Fed exactly know what he needs to do to win a game let alone Match against Murray.
3]Serve - Arguably the best after Sampras, and undoubtedly the best for any player above 30 to played the game.

Weakness
1]Movement - Age is catching up and the movement is not as fluid as it used to be, while Tomic and Raonic exposed a bit Tsonga exposed it big time with flurry of winners both wings.
2]To the Backhand strategy - Murray has learned this trick early and has used to his strengths
3]Focus drop - Like Murray Fed's focus do drop in between matches, he is suddenly worried what his twin daughters doing outside watching his game.

Opportunities -
1]Absence of chief tormentor - Nadal's absence means Fed knows the title is in his racket and his to lose.
2]Aggressive pace - New aggressive pace of play gives opponent no time to breath let alone think a strategy when thinks do go planned, should use it wisely against Murray.
3]Nothing to prove mindset - pressure free Fed is ultra dangerous on court.

Threats
1]Stamina - Bit cooked after Tsonga match
2]Tough draw taking his toll.

Over all Murray in view starts Favorite by 70-30 margin, I like both players and hence this view coming from neutral perspective. Both have their strength but I guess the draw at some point should take its toll on the soon to be 32 year old. However given Fed's capability and the will to win he won't make it any easier for Murray, if for some reason Murray comes nervous and Fed brings his A-game he will cook him for the breakfast in st. sets.
To me its Murray's match to lose, confident young man at his prime against an old guard, prediction would love Fed to win but Murray to win easy.

Well the fact that Murray is the younger man at his prime whilst Federer is slightly past his prime and is the older of the 2 players could be the key crucial difference/factor in the semi-final clash. Hence I am going for Murray in 4 sets.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 24 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

Oh like Tsonga was in his prime and Fed past it but Fed won? Let us also remember this is Fed's first tournament of the season unlike the rest of the players so I won't buy the fitness thing until I see Fed cramping up on court which I am yet to see.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:11 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Oh like Tsonga was in his prime and Fed past it but Fed won? Let us also remember this is Fed's first tournament of the season unlike the rest of the players so I won't buy the fitness thing until I see Fed cramping up on court which I am yet to see.

W 2012 against Malisse, IIRC? If back issues are considered akin to cramping, that is. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:12 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Murray lost 2 finals to Fed in slams when he wasn't mentally ready for it, and was inexperienced. His last won was much closer, and the roof may have been decisive.

The Olympics was on a par with a slam to many players, and at a similar venue, and Murray won that.

Was the roof really decisive? It was 1 set all and 2-2 when the rain came and roof was closed. There wasn't a huge shift in momentum at that time. It shifted in that marathon game in the second set where Murray could not win 2 points in a row. Federer came out the more nervous of the two. He was so tight and made some shocking misses just as he did vs Tsonga last night. I think Murray's level dropped a bit after that first set as I think as he was in a situation he was never in before. He had won his first set in gs final, at Wimbledon and maybe he was thinking too far ahead. I think had he won the third set the match was his.

Tomorrow is another story. This match is Fed's to lose. I couldn't imagine he was the same player in the earlier rounds. He wasn't serving great at the beginning. No aces so no free points. Tsonga was playing brilliantly and I think those exhibition matches possibly helped him. I still say if Fed comes out the way he did playing Tomic/Raonic he can win but its a long shot as Murray has the fitness on his side now.

The Olympic final was won by Murray on the Friday afternoon when Fed vs JMDP went for 4 and a half hours. There was no way he could have come back from that and I believe he was able to carry on at Wimbledon after the Benneteau match because he had 2 full days off. If it was mid week he wouldn't have been able to compete at his best.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:17 pm

I don't think either set of fans can really have excuses for the outcome of this match. Murray's said the scheduling isn't an issue, Fed's insisted that he'll recover just fine for the match, and who are we to doubt them? The winner will have earned it on merit - I certainly won't be moaning if Murray wins, and will in fact applaud the man for reaching yet another slam final. I'm sure that Murray fans will afford the same courtesy if Fed wins too Smile

I have the morning off tomorrow, cannot wait!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

spot on Silver. No excuses for either party and may the best man win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:44 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Oh like Tsonga was in his prime and Fed past it but Fed won? Let us also remember this is Fed's first tournament of the season unlike the rest of the players so I won't buy the fitness thing until I see Fed cramping up on court which I am yet to see.

But Tsonga, Tomic are no Murray CC, no idea why you downplaying your star's chances? may be some kinda tricky strategy I guess CC Very Happy

So its slated for the mid-evening, if the matches before it get over then there are chances the main event will start much earlier than expected, so is it a Evening match or Night match? Whistle

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:44 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:spot on Silver. No excuses for either party and may the best man win.

thumbsup

I will be watching from my customary position

Murray - Fed Semi Final preview - Page 2 Hiding

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:47 pm

Silver wrote:I don't think either set of fans can really have excuses for the outcome of this match. Murray's said the scheduling isn't an issue, Fed's insisted that he'll recover just fine for the match, and who are we to doubt them? The winner will have earned it on merit - I certainly won't be moaning if Murray wins, and will in fact applaud the man for reaching yet another slam final. I'm sure that Murray fans will afford the same courtesy if Fed wins too Smile

I have the morning off tomorrow, cannot wait!

No excuses any ways, both players earned their right for semi's and its unfortunate only one of them can make the next round and hence they have to battle it out and earn the right to be in the finals, this match will have bigger viewer ship than finals for sure, btw who ever makes the finals they gonna be ramped by Nole express. Crying or Very sad

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:48 pm

Can someone cover my desk tomorrow morning? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:48 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:spot on Silver. No excuses for either party and may the best man win.

thumbsup

I will be watching from my customary position

Murray - Fed Semi Final preview - Page 2 Hiding

laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

There is possibly more pressure on Federer than on Murray, as if Federer loses it could well be the end of the road for him as far as being a serious contender for winning a major title what with Nadal coming back and with guys like Murray and Djokovic being younger than Federer and in their tennis playing prime years.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:50 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Can someone cover my desk tomorrow morning? Very Happy

For me its the mid night match, what excuse should I give to my GF? any experience anybody in this aspect Whistle

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

gboycottnut wrote:There is possibly more pressure on Federer than on Murray, as if Federer loses it could well be the end of the road for him as far as being a serious contender for winning a major title what with Nadal coming back and with guys like Murray and Djokovic being younger than Federer and in their tennis playing prime years.

But I am not sure he is much worried about it GB, but yes if Fed plays pressure free it would be an awesome site to watch, something I wish happen today.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

gboycottnut wrote:There is possibly more pressure on Federer than on Murray, as if Federer loses it could well be the end of the road for him as far as being a serious contender for winning a major title what with Nadal coming back and with guys like Murray and Djokovic being younger than Federer and in their tennis playing prime years.

sorry, but losing in a semifinal of a major is never an indication that someone is at the end of the road as far a being a serious contender..I don't care who the competition is. At some point, a draw will open, Fed will hit a hot streak, or he'll meet up with them at a fav surface like Grass. Anyone who can make it to a semifinal of a Major and who has had fantastic form for over a year is a threat going forward

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:33 pm

They have said this every time he met a big four player in the last three years. In tennis there is always a next time. I've learned by now to never write Federer off.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:34 pm

TRuffin wrote:Anyone who can make it to a semifinal of a Major and who has had fantastic form for over a year is a threat going forward
Except Ferrer Laugh
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

Federer summing up why I love the Federer / Murray match up.

“He's playing more offensive - the rallies aren't as long and gruelling as they used to be,” Federer said. “But I always enjoyed the match-ups with him because it gets to be very tactical and not a straightforward match. He would make you doubt and play very differently to the rest of the guys.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/my-100-per-cent-record-against-andy-murray-has-no-bearing-on-our-semifinal-match-says-roger-federer-8464382.html

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 24 Jan 2013, 5:22 pm

carrieg4. Here is the full quote

Q. You had a lot of rivalries with a lot of players. What makes the matchup with Murray stand out for you?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I've always enjoyed playing against him. I had some tougher runs against him in a short period of time. I played him in a few weeks or maybe a month or two I played him three, four times, was on some sort of losing streak, so that was sort of hard.
But I always enjoyed the matchups with him because it gets to be very tactical. Wasn't a straightforward match. He would make you doubt and play very different to the rest of the guys. I kind of always enjoyed that, you know, when it's just not every point's the same. We used to mix it up against each other.
Now it's changed a bit because he's playing more offensive. The rallies aren't as long and grueling as they used to be. We both can do that.
There were times when we also played against each other in semifinals when Rafa and myself were 1 and 2. Same as Novak. We played a lot in the semis.
My rivalry goes more into the semifinals always with Andy than more in the finals, even tough now at Wimbledon and the Olympics we played in the finals. I think it was nice for us for a change to play in finals against each other.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-23/201301231358951306038.html

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

hawkeye wrote:carrieg4. Here is the full quote

Q. You had a lot of rivalries with a lot of players. What makes the matchup with Murray stand out for you?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I've always enjoyed playing against him. I had some tougher runs against him in a short period of time. I played him in a few weeks or maybe a month or two I played him three, four times, was on some sort of losing streak, so that was sort of hard.
But I always enjoyed the matchups with him because it gets to be very tactical. Wasn't a straightforward match. He would make you doubt and play very different to the rest of the guys. I kind of always enjoyed that, you know, when it's just not every point's the same. We used to mix it up against each other.
Now it's changed a bit because he's playing more offensive. The rallies aren't as long and grueling as they used to be. We both can do that.
There were times when we also played against each other in semifinals when Rafa and myself were 1 and 2. Same as Novak. We played a lot in the semis.
My rivalry goes more into the semifinals always with Andy than more in the finals, even tough now at Wimbledon and the Olympics we played in the finals. I think it was nice for us for a change to play in finals against each other.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-23/201301231358951306038.html

Thanks for that Hawkeye OK

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 5:35 pm

Fed gives the verification of what we have all been seeing with murray in that he is playing more offensive and taking charge a bit earlier in points with he forehand. It has certainly been noticeable. I think as a Novak fan I am rooting for another Fed v. Djoko final my favorite matchup of all the big 4 rivalries, you can feel the intensity of this rivalry. But I picked murray to win as I think the surface will help him.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 24 Jan 2013, 5:36 pm

Chydremion wrote:

They have said this every time he met a big four player in the last three years. In tennis there is always a next time. I've learned by now to never write Federer off.

But surely his time at the top of the game as a serious main contender has to end sooner rather than later. No-one can defy the ravages of time, not even the great Lord Federer himself.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 24 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

socal1976 wrote:Fed gives the verification of what we have all been seeing with murray in that he is playing more offensive and taking charge a bit earlier in points with he forehand. It has certainly been noticeable. I think as a Novak fan I am rooting for another Fed v. Djoko final my favorite matchup of all the big 4 rivalries, you can feel the intensity of this rivalry. But I picked murray to win as I think the surface will help him.

Well from the point of view of a Djokovic supporter, their man probably has more chance of beating Roger Federer than of Andy Murray at this point in a Grand Slam Final.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 5:44 pm

I think on Grass as a djoko fan I would still prefer to play Andy, on clay as a djoko fan or on a fast indoor I would prefer to play Andy. But on a slow outdoor hardcourt or medium paced outdoor hardcourt I think Roger is the easier matchup for Djokovic. But Novak is number 1, if he couldn't win against anybody on any surface he wouldn't hold that position. But at the AO I agree with you Andy is the more fear inspiring matchup.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 24 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

FedsFan wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:Murray lost 2 finals to Fed in slams when he wasn't mentally ready for it, and was inexperienced. His last won was much closer, and the roof may have been decisive.

The Olympics was on a par with a slam to many players, and at a similar venue, and Murray won that.

Was the roof really decisive? It was 1 set all and 2-2 when the rain came and roof was closed. There wasn't a huge shift in momentum at that time. It shifted in that marathon game in the second set where Murray could not win 2 points in a row. Federer came out the more nervous of the two. He was so tight and made some shocking misses just as he did vs Tsonga last night. I think Murray's level dropped a bit after that first set as I think as he was in a situation he was never in before. He had won his first set in gs final, at Wimbledon and maybe he was thinking too far ahead. I think had he won the third set the match was his.

Tomorrow is another story. This match is Fed's to lose. I couldn't imagine he was the same player in the earlier rounds. He wasn't serving great at the beginning. No aces so no free points. Tsonga was playing brilliantly and I think those exhibition matches possibly helped him. I still say if Fed comes out the way he did playing Tomic/Raonic he can win but its a long shot as Murray has the fitness on his side now.

The Olympic final was won by Murray on the Friday afternoon when Fed vs JMDP went for 4 and a half hours. There was no way he could have come back from that and I believe he was able to carry on at Wimbledon after the Benneteau match because he had 2 full days off. If it was mid week he wouldn't have been able to compete at his best.

Your thoughts on their previous matches does both players a diservice. Whislt the momentum might have been going with Fed at Wimbledon - it turned 100% to him when the roof went on, simply because he's the best indoor player ever

As for The Olympics, it's disingenous to use a tiredness excuse - simply because isn't that part of what makes a Champion? Pacing themselves? I note with interest that Murray fans were trampled all over and quite rightly too, when we used this as the excuse for Roger's 2008 US Open win

Murray played one of his best matches ever at that final. Those who think he's just some kind of grinder only have to watch that match and just marvel at the equisite timing he had. It was in the same league as Mac's demolition of Connors in 84' and not far behind Roger's defeat of Roddick in 05'

However, he arguably needs to play like that again

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:01 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
Chydremion wrote:

But surely his time at the top of the game as a serious main contender has to end sooner rather than later. No-one can defy the ravages of time, not even the great Lord Federer himself.

I do think fans go seriously OTT about Roger these days. I remember after Wimbledon he was going to dominate the world for the next 3 years yet again and he just had to turn up for The Olympics and US Open

Yes, the Tsonga victory was superb, but please this is the inconsistent and increasingly frustrating (why have a big grin on your face, when you've just given up in the 5th set Rolling Eyes ) Tsonga. I don't care how much his new coach has helped. Nole and Murray would have made shorter work of him

Don't get me wrong, as Fed victory will be no surprise just as any of the top 3 beating each other isn't

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayHype Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:02 pm

Didn't want to sign up given the total fanboys you seem to be catering to on this forum, but some of the comments here are too frustrating to ignore. I will go into some of the debunking when I get back, but let's start by saying the way some of you write Federer off is a joke. Do you really believe one lucky Slam win from Murray overpowers all the experience of even an aging Federer? Do you really believe that Federer has gone from Slam beater, just 2 slams ago, to "30-70 chance" in this slam?

The comments here are embarrassing.

I would put the chances at 60-40 in Fed's favour. That's based on experience, 3-0 h2h in slams, his draw being far harder than Murray's and having prepared him better, playing at night where Federer has had more experience, and Murray being little better to how he was at Wimbledon and Federer being no worse. Fire me down, fanboys, but you know I am right Wink

I suggest the Murray hypers around here prepare for bad news.

I don't care how much his new coach has helped. Nole and Murray would have made shorter work of him

Thanks, you're the first one, and I only just arrived. Firstly, your statement is presented as fact without a shred of evidence. To my knowledge, Murray and Djok have not come up against Tsonga in that form. I do remember nadal coming up against a Tsonga in similar form at the same slam.. and err...

Last edited by MurrayHype on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

MurrayHype

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:08 pm

Fanboys? Hold your horses as it is a skew whiff opinion split here. A lot of Federer fans are saying Murray is favourite and Murray fans such as myself have tipped Federer to win.

Welcome to the forum btw.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:13 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Can someone cover my desk tomorrow morning? Very Happy

For me its the mid night match, what excuse should I give to my GF? any experience anybody in this aspect Whistle

Not LK, but my suggestions are 1. 6pm light conversation. 2. 8pm Romantic Dinner. 3. 11pm hang-out. 4. 12pm. G'night. 5. Watch tennis history being made.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

It's fantastic to see MurrayHype join this forum and we look forward to as many constructive comments / articles as Hawkeye

In the last 2 to 3 years or so, Murray or Nole have rarely got taken to 5 sets by Tsonga, let alone lose to him in a Slam

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayHype Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

banbrotam wrote:It's fantastic to see MurrayHype join this forum and we look forward to as many constructive comments / articles as Hawkeye

In the last 2 to 3 years or so, Murray or Nole have rarely got taken to 5 sets by Tsonga, let alone lose to him in a Slam

And that proves that Tsonga (and Djok/Murray) was playing on the same day in the same way as the match we are discussing in the here and now?

Amazing logic. The Tsonga I saw playing Federer was much better than I've seen him for a long time and he was very close to kicking out Federer. Very close. Also, I have no idea who this Hawkeye is, but if he disagrees with statements like yours above, I am sure we will get on just fine. Very Happy

MurrayHype

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

MurrayHype wrote:To my knowledge, Murray and Djok have not come up against Tsonga in that form

Then your knowledge is rather sketchy considering that he lost to one of them last year, when he was just as over-hyped.

Apparently, not having a coach was the key to the then newly motivated 'Cassius Clay' of Tennis Rolling Eyes

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

banbrotam wrote:
I don't care how much [Tsonga's] new coach has helped. Nole and Murray would have made shorter work of him

I seem to vaguely recall Djokovic - on his way to holding all 4 Slams simultaneously - being on the brink of defeat against Tsonga. On clay!!
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

MurrayHype wrote:
banbrotam wrote:It's fantastic to see MurrayHype join this forum and we look forward to as many constructive comments / articles as Hawkeye

And that proves that Tsonga (and Djok/Murray) was playing on the same day in the same way as the match we are discussing in the here and now?

Amazing logic. The Tsonga I saw playing Federer was much better than I've seen him for a long time and he was very close to kicking out Federer. Very close. Also, I have no idea who this Hawkeye is, but if he disagrees with statements like yours above, I am sure we will get on just fine. Very Happy

Could it be that Tsonga fancies it more than a player that he has a 7:1 losing record to Whistle

Sorry, you might be impressed with the latest version of Tsonga. The rest of us have had far too many false dawns

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

Murrayhype - the poster giving Federer 30% chance is a Federer fan as far as i am aware. No doubt playing down Federer's chances. I tend to agree with you. Its about 60-40 Federer.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 24 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

prostaff85 wrote:
TRuffin wrote:Anyone who can make it to a semifinal of a Major and who has had fantastic form for over a year is a threat going forward
Except Ferrer Laugh

you got me there--

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:05 pm

Murrayhype, welcome to the forum.

You're clearly new here, and perhaps a bit confused OK

On this forum the ones who want Murray to win are predicting a Federer victory, while the ones who support Federer are predicting a Murray win.
It's pretty simple actually. OK

If things get really tight tomorrow I might even say 'dead cert Federer will win' or 'I wonder what tactics Federer will play against Djokovic.'

Hope this clears things up.

Amritia

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:23 pm

MurrayHype wrote:Didn't want to sign up given the total fanboys you seem to be catering to on this forum, but some of the comments here are too frustrating to ignore. I will go into some of the debunking when I get back, but let's start by saying the way some of you write Federer off is a joke. Do you really believe one lucky Slam win from Murray overpowers all the experience of even an aging Federer? Do you really believe that Federer has gone from Slam beater, just 2 slams ago, to "30-70 chance" in this slam?

The comments here are embarrassing.

I would put the chances at 60-40 in Fed's favour. That's based on experience, 3-0 h2h in slams, his draw being far harder than Murray's and having prepared him better, playing at night where Federer has had more experience, and Murray being little better to how he was at Wimbledon and Federer being no worse. Fire me down, fanboys, but you know I am right Wink

I suggest the Murray hypers around here prepare for bad news.

I don't care how much his new coach has helped. Nole and Murray would have made shorter work of him

Thanks, you're the first one, and I only just arrived. Firstly, your statement is presented as fact without a shred of evidence. To my knowledge, Murray and Djok have not come up against Tsonga in that form. I do remember nadal coming up against a Tsonga in similar form at the same slam.. and err...

All I can say is that your debunk was total flunk!

Can't wait for the next one Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

Think you should take him under your wing LK - judging by his comments he doesn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, and also agrees with HE (which confirms it) lol

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

Well if all you have is "oh they never played an in form Tsonga" than I'm afraid your tank is firing blanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayHype Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:26 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Well if all you have is "oh they never played an in form Tsonga" than I'm afraid your tank is firing blanks.

I didn't say "an in form Tsonga". Nice try, tho Wink I said Tsonga in that match at that level. Nadal did. Nadal lost. And he lost badly. Clearly when Tsonga is playing near his best he can beat the best (and he has done against Federer, even on grass). A statement suggesting that Murray and Djok would definitely have put Tsonga away faster the other day isn't just demeaning Federer's achievement, it demonstrates an embarrassing lack of knowledge about sport.

Last edited by MurrayHype on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

MurrayHype

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:28 pm

Nice start MurrayHype - I've removed your post for attacking the poster, not the argument. Might I suggest you read the Site Rules.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:28 pm

To my knowledge, Murray and Djok have not come up against Tsonga in that form

picard

So is that Tsonga in form?

Tsonga in alien form?

Tsonga form filling?

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayHype Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:30 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Nice start MurrayHype - I've removed your post for attacking the poster, not the argument. Might I suggest you read the Site Rules.

Ah yes, you're the moderator who moderates based on friendships Wink Are you going to remove the other attacking posts that were aimed at me?

MurrayHype

Back to top Go down

Post by MurrayHype Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Murrayhype, welcome to the forum.

On this forum the ones who want Murray to win are predicting a Federer victory, while the ones who support Federer are predicting a Murray win.

If things get really tight tomorrow I might even say 'dead cert Federer will win' or 'I wonder what tactics Federer will play against Djokovic.'

Amritia

Why isn't this one removed?

MurrayHype

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

I see we have a very shy and retiring new member picard

Anyway, back to the tennis.

Not long to go now - the match is 50/50 in my mind. Should be a belter either way.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

MurrayHype wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Nice start MurrayHype - I've removed your post for attacking the poster, not the argument. Might I suggest you read the Site Rules.

Ah yes, you're the moderator who moderates based on friendships Wink Are you going to remove the other attacking posts that were aimed at me?

I think you're mistaking me for some whole other body.

If you report the posts, I'll take a look at them.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:34 pm

MurrayHype wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Well if all you have is "oh they never played an in form Tsonga" than I'm afraid your tank is firing blanks.

I didn't say "an in form Tsonga". Nice try, tho Wink I said Tsonga in that match at that level. Nadal did. Nadal lost. And he lost badly. Clearly when Tsonga is playing near his best he can beat the best (and he has done against Federer, even on grass). A statement suggesting that Murray and Djok would definitely have put Tsonga away faster the other day isn't just demeaning Federer's achievement, it demonstrates an embarrassing lack of knowledge about sport.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Let me get my violin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:38 pm

MurrayHype wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Murrayhype, welcome to the forum.

Amritia

Why isn't this one removed?

Because it was a light-hearted attempt to explain the weird state of the forum (re: semi-final predictions) to a newcomer.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next