The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WSB: An Adventure In To The Unknown.

4 posters

Go down

WSB: An Adventure In To The Unknown. Empty WSB: An Adventure In To The Unknown.

Post by hampo17 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 2:35 pm

A really good write of the recent match between the British Lionhearts and the USA Knockouts by 6oldenbhoy.

http://v2journal.com/3/post/2013/01/wsb-an-adventure-into-the-unknown.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

WSB: An Adventure In To The Unknown. Empty Re: WSB: An Adventure In To The Unknown.

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 25 Jan 2013, 5:01 pm

Can 6oldenboy please explain the selection process. More specifically, how can the USA pick Frogs and the Brits choose Estonians.

The stakes would be higher if national pride was at stake. I think WSB is missing a trick by diluting the national element.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

WSB: An Adventure In To The Unknown. Empty Re: WSB: An Adventure In To The Unknown.

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 25 Jan 2013, 5:07 pm

Good article BTW look forward to more..
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:16 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Can 6oldenboy please explain the selection process. More specifically, how can the USA pick Frogs and the Brits choose Estonians.

The stakes would be higher if national pride was at stake. I think WSB is missing a trick by diluting the national element.

Agreed!

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

I believe those two fighters where late calls up due to usual members of the team being unavailable but don't quote me on that. As far as I can see the WSB has a selection of back up boxers who can be called upon by any franchise.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 27 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Can 6oldenboy please explain the selection process. More specifically, how can the USA pick Frogs and the Brits choose Estonians.

The draft is a way to for boxers from countries without a team to participate. Ireland have about 9 boxers participating, but no team. Similarly, it helps nationals who are weak in a certain division to beef up their roster. GB don't have a World Class Light-Heavy, so draft in a few foreigners to make them more competitive.

I agree that it dilutes the nationalistic element to a degree, but having been in attendance, I can say that the fans did get behind the boxers from different nations. Obviously, the home fighters got a better reception, but then some fans only came to see a specific bout. The Lionhearts are playing it smart when it comes to home fixtures. They go with their highest profile team, Selby, Nevin, Evans, Ward and Joyce most weeks. Everyone else generally fights in the away fixtures. With the Irish Seniors next month it will be interesting to see who lines out for the Lionhearts against Kazakhstan and what the attendance is like.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down