The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mental Breakdown

+7
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
SharkSoul
ShahenshahG
hampo17
davidemore
11 posters

Go down

The Mental Breakdown Empty The Mental Breakdown

Post by davidemore Fri 25 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

Of Kell Brook.

It is what has needed to improve the most in order for him to become IBF Champion. In my opinion, Kell has always had the skills. A great, great jab, speed, adequate power, fast hands and good combo's. He does most things very well and some superbly. I'd like to see him a bit more ballet like as he can be a little flat footed, but still, he has enough to beat Devon Alexander. IMO.

What worried me in the past was his self-belief. I wasn't convinced he was confident in his own abilities. This showed when he blew up between fights, it showed that he might not have the confidence and hunger to become Champ. However, i think he does now. He has been big time in the UK for a while now, so wont be afraid in America. Plus, Alexander has no fan base, just a bunch of "U.S.A... U.S.A" drunk frat boys from Detroit no doubt.

The way Eddie Hearn has transformed Brook has been amazing. Warren was doing what Warren does with his fighters, ignoring them when they needed him most. His guidance. Too stubborn that man, IMO. However, Hearn got in there and got his man fighting regularly. Also, he was honest about Kell's training and took him to the states for a taster before this big fight. PLUS, he has given him some decent pay days, taking that edge off slightly.

Kell Brook looks like a beast now, and IMO, will beast Devon. The whole darn county, and then the American Devon.

Thoughts?

emore heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

The Mental Breakdown Empty Re: The Mental Breakdown

Post by hampo17 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

You don't think his stamina was a major issue David? The only time it was tested he was found wanting.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

Good point Hampo, however, he has gone 12 rounds before. I think that fight was a blip, i honestly believe he didn't train well for it and that's why he suffered. He has stamina, but needs to ensure he trains properly. We'll see against Devon though, that man loves to run.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

Good point Hampo, however, he has gone 12 rounds before. I think that fight was a blip, i honestly believe he didn't train well for it and that's why he suffered. He has stamina, but needs to ensure he trains properly. We'll see against Devon though, that man loves to run.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:10 pm

I'm not sure, I feel the Carson Jones fight was the first time he was taken out of his comfort zone and he was was found wanting. Didn't he start to gas after 6 rounds?

I believe that fight was a wake up call, he admitted he's had to change his training and has brought in a full time nutritionist to help. Obviously I want him to bring the belt back to Britain, but if you where Alexander you'd watch the Jones fight and build your tactics around that.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:13 pm

But he won that fight and showed immense will and heart. Plus, he seems honest and says his training wasn't adequate. I respected him more after that fight, not less.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

Honest or making excuses?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

Honest, I would have said the latter if i thought the latter, honestly i would.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Honest or making excuses?

I got the 'making excuses' impressions to Shah to be honest. They needed to come up with something to explain that performance and 'conditioning' was the perfect excuse. I just think he maybe under estimated Jones and was really the first time he was stretched. It left you wondering whether or not K is as 'Special' as he and Hearn originally thought.

I can see a UD for Devon but would love Kell to bring another belt back to the UK.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:54 pm

This is a pick 'em fight. Kell will do it!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

Brook will lose for the simple reason being, he simply isn't good enough. Plus I can't tolerate the thick git. OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

Alexander is probably the worst type of fighter to test someone's stamina

No power (or never wants to throw with power as he's always on he run), never works the body, fights at a low workrate and won't come forward or push the pace

Alexander's style is unorthodox but I think that Kell is smart enough and good enough to figure him out and if the going gets tough, Alexander clings on to not take any punishment instead of trying to claw a fight back

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

I also believe Kell will win the fight, to be honest Devon just doesn't do exciting fights, so I can't really see this one being a barn burner.

I have a feeling that Devon won't test the part that Kell has yet to answer, his stamina, Kell will most probably take the centre of the ring being the bigger of the two men and given Devon's jab and run away style.

Alexander has never really been all too equipped with dealing with guys who come forward in a trickier type of way, such as the Matthysse fight and the Bradley one, in the end I see Kell winning a close but comfortable decision in a bit of a scrappy fight that doesn't ever really get going.

Hoping that Kell will be the one to push the pace and end really well, I don't really rate Devon very highly at all to be honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

Devon has fast hands and can be slick.Sadly though, he runs, it's mental with him. The Lucas fight annoyed me. He blatantly lost that and since then i've wanted to see him lose.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

A lot of kels troubles with stamina in the Jones fight would be down to the broken nose he suffered too. So I'm not sure how badly he would suffer with stamina problems usually.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

He was tireing before the nose was broken though although I agree that it definately contribute to the weakness in the final 3rd if the fight

I likes the way he toughed it out though. He was knackered after 6 rounds so ending up staying on his feet after 12 is impressive as he was fighting purely on instinct

Never seen him in with a southpaw which will be interesting whereas Alexander has been beat by e orthodox fighters imo (Bradley, Matthysse and Kotelnik) and even his last fight with Bailey he was getting caught with the straight right too often for a 'slick' fighter

Won't make for a great fight but it could e a good showcase of skills if Alexander doesnt spoil like he usually does

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 25 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm

davidemore wrote:Good point Hampo, however, he has gone 12 rounds before. I think that fight was a blip, i honestly believe he didn't train well for it and that's why he suffered. He has stamina, but needs to ensure he trains properly. We'll see against Devon though, that man loves to run.

if he didnt train properly for the biggest fight of his life he's an idiot.
of course he trained for it.

he was cruising then got tagged and went into survival mode for the rest of his fight, looking almost out on his feet.

hope he beats devon though.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 25 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

He didn't say that it was that he wasn't training, he said it was the diet/weight making etc and didnt have a nutritionist or any sort. Being big at a weight (like Beook is) its imperative that you have your energy levels as good you had when preparing come fight night

He was very good for 6 rounds (and the 10th and 11th) so he was obviously training hard to do what he good but don't have enough gas in the tank. Sparring isn't like a real fight and no sparring partner would lay it on like Jones did with no headgears and protective gloves

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat 26 Jan 2013, 2:12 pm

hampo171 wrote:I'm not sure, I feel the Carson Jones fight was the first time he was taken out of his comfort zone and he was was found wanting

This flashed a big red flag for me in terms of how I view Brook. It could just have been a blip/poor training, but how a fighter handles 'deep waters' is one of those intangibles that you often don't find out about until they face more talented fighters. Kell has all the talent but he may be found wanting in the old stamina/learning how to relax/conserving energy/not adrenaline dumping stakes. Like others I believe he'll beat Alexander - although its a close match - but as has been said, Alexander will not pressure, pressure, pressure, which will allow Brook the comfort to box, and I think he's the more powerful, more skilled boxer by a nose. We'll have to see Brook in there with a relentless pressure fighter before we can get a notion of how much of a blip the Jones fight was. Someone like Maidana or Matthyse would test that theory out.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 26 Jan 2013, 2:38 pm

Think that both Maidana and Matthyse would be too small to really trouble Brook, Jones isn't world class by any stretch of the imagination but he is a big huge strong Welterweight. Being pressured by someone stronger than you is far different than someone you can physically dominate as Brook would over the 140lbers.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 26 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm

Does brook even utilise that strength ghosty? He might let himself get bullied instead of imposing himself on the opponent.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 26 Jan 2013, 2:44 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think that both Maidana and Matthyse would be too small to really trouble Brook, Jones isn't world class by any stretch of the imagination but he is a big huge strong Welterweight. Being pressured by someone stronger than you is far different than someone you can physically dominate as Brook would over the 140lbers.

Got to agree with this although I think that the 2 argentine's carry more power than Jones does. Maidana has the stamina and power to do that but lacks a real granite chin as jones had to take alot to get inside. Matthysse has the power, the chin and the ability to get inside but not sure he can apply the constant pressure like Jones did

Selcuk Ayin would be a very good fighter should he beat Alexander as Aydin is real tough, strong welter who can bang a bit but as Guerrero showed he can be outboxed

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 26 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

He doesn't need to use that strength by and large Shah but Carson was outmuscling him on the inside which I don't think Maidana or Matthyse could. As for power Maidana doesn't seem to have carried it up and i'm not too sure Matthyse will either.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 26 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

True. I always feel that fighters should surrender those 7 pounds and fight at their better weight. The few extra pounds have an effect on the snap of their punches and causes them to be rendered ineffective. Better I think against languid styles like Brooks. I can understand if you are fighting someone like hopkins or Ward but someone who doesnt seek to impose themselves ought to be easier to remove the weight factor as well as maintaining your intensity.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down