The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Positive Approach to Anger Management for Dylan Hartley

+6
munkian
AlastairW
George Carlin
Cyril
Artful_Dodger
maestegmafia
10 posters

Go down

A Positive Approach to Anger Management for Dylan Hartley Empty A Positive Approach to Anger Management for Dylan Hartley

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Jan 2013, 6:56 pm

An article about admirably facing up to and dealing with his problems. No sooner had he returned from a two week ban for punching Rory Best was he immediately Yellow carded. This, following previous lengthy bans for gouging and biting, he now takes a very sensible approach to dealing with his Anger management issues at the request of the England set up.

From The Telegraph

Six Nations 2013: Dylan Hartley cools his fire in the hope of an England recall against Scotland
England hooker Dylan Hartley has admitted that Stuart Lancaster has raised his poor disciplinary record with him and that the patience of the head coach could run out if there are further breaches.

By Mick Cleary, 27th of Jan 2013

There is no tighter selection decision to be made ahead of Saturday’s opening RBS Six Nations Championship match against Scotland than that between Hartley and Tom Youngs.

Injury caused ­Hartley to lose the No 2 shirt to the Leicester man during the autumn series, after which the Northampton player picked up his second suspension of the year, two weeks for striking Ulster hooker Rory Best.

Hartley disclosed that he was now using a coloured anger-management pie-chart wheel, which helps him keep control as it takes him through escalating emotional stages. “The coaches have had a word in my ear and it’s been addressed,” said Hartley, who was cited and banned for eight weeks for biting the finger of Ireland's Stephen Ferris in last season’s championship. “The management has shown trust in me but there comes a point when they can’t stand by me. I understand that. They can only go so far.

“I feel that I am in control. It’s clear in my head how I need to react. The wheel does not control my whole life but it’s there as a mechanism to help you prepare. "That game against Ulster, well, I did my usual throwing drills in the week but didn’t do my mental preparation correctly. I wasn’t playing well, the team wasn’t playing well, and I reacted. “I don’t like talking about it too much as it paints a picture of me, hangs over me and prolongs the process. "I do understand, though, that a two-week ban goes on longer than a fortnight in that everyone still talks about it. I do know where that fine line is.”

Hartley was something of a liability in his early days but he has matured enormously. He does not believe that he will be targeted by Scotland. In fact, he would relish the opportunity to be tested because it would mean that he had won the battle for the starting shirt. Hartley said that the sight of Youngs in the England No 2 shirt had made him even more driven in pursuit of his next cap. “It’s made me want it even more,” he said. “As soon as you’re not playing in that shirt, it makes you appreciate being in it even more. I want it but I’m going to have to make my point to Stuart and the coaches. “I like to think that I have got credit in the bank but it’s only right that rugby culture dictates that you have to earn that shirt every time. Nothing is given or taken for granted. “Who knows how it will go? When the team is announced it might be a setback for me or I might be thrown a bone.”

Well as Youngs has played, England set great store on Hartley’s contribution. Lancaster made him captain for the third Test in South Africa in June when Chris Robshaw was injured. “Dylan has been a vital cog for us,” Graham Rowntree, the England forwards coach, said. “His leadership and performances over the last 12 months have been impressive. There’s a maturity there but Tom [Youngs] has come in and grabbed his chance with both hands.”

Hartley played with Youngs for England Under-19s when Youngs was at centre and Hartley at prop. “Tom can do some pretty special things while I guess I’m taller and heavier,” Hartley said when asked to assess the differences between them. “Everyone went after him about his line-out throwing yet his stats were impeccable. He’s risen to the challenge all right, but it’s a question of what he does from now on, and how he deals with me. It’s good for England, that’s for sure.”

Hartley is at the core of this England team, one of the small group of leaders on whom Lancaster depends.
The hooker realises that his most important contribution over the next few days will be to be himself.
“There’s no need to do anything flash,” Hartley said. “I have just got to be me. It is clear these days how the coaches operate round here. “If they don’t trust you, you are not here very long. I am going to train hard and force them to make a difficult decision. May the best man win.”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

A Positive Approach to Anger Management for Dylan Hartley Empty Re: A Positive Approach to Anger Management for Dylan Hartley

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:05 pm

I'm unconvinced -he's talked about changing in the past then re-offends everytime. Fair to say he doesn't like Irish players as well....

6 months for gouging O'Connor(as well as Haskell)
8 weeks for biting Ferris
2 weeks for striking Best

Thats 8 and a half months of bans for offences committed against Irish players - I hope he starts against Ireland, I really do.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

A Positive Approach to Anger Management for Dylan Hartley Empty Re: A Positive Approach to Anger Management for Dylan Hartley

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

He seems to be employing some psychology to the issue. I don't imagine that he will be a tranquil being at one with all around and playing in a higher spiritual plane. But it is good to read that a player has admitted his issues, and confronted them publicly.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:21 pm

If he can get some form going he'll challenge Best for the Lions spot. Gatland knows how to get the best out of Hartley after his mind games went wrong a couple of years ago.

We don't want him to calm down too much though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:26 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:I'm unconvinced -he's talked about changing in the past then re-offends everytime. Fair to say he doesn't like Irish players as well....

6 months for gouging O'Connor(as well as Haskell)
8 weeks for biting Ferris
2 weeks for striking Best

Thats 8 and a half months of bans for offences committed against Irish players - I hope he starts against Ireland, I really do.

The times offered this

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/rugby_union/article137816.ece

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:28 pm

Hartley's temperament is the single biggest reason why he can't be anywhere near a Lions shirt. It's not his ability.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:If he can get some form going he'll challenge Best for the Lions spot. Gatland knows how to get the best out of Hartley after his mind games went wrong a couple of years ago.

I think Best is stronger in every department, and proved it against Saints at FG in the group stages of this seasons HC. Hartley...out played by his opposite number once against had to resort to violence. Best for me is a much better scrummager - Hartley still constantly pops up. Is better in defence as evidenced by his massive tackle and turnover rate in the HC (more turnovers than any openside in the tournament) Is just as good at carrying and has a much better temperament than Hartley as a player and captain (not that it would be hard). I'd give Best the edge when it comes to the darts as well. Better in every area for me.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:33 pm

George Carlin wrote:Hartley's temperament is the single biggest reason why he can't be anywhere near a Lions shirt. It's not his ability.

If he can prove to concentrate on his rugby and not use rugby as an exercise in sledging the opposition and getting in as many cheap shots as possible he could be a huge asset to any team.

Lets see if he can reclaim his shirt off Tom Youngs and then whether he has the temperament.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:43 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:If he can get some form going he'll challenge Best for the Lions spot. Gatland knows how to get the best out of Hartley after his mind games went wrong a couple of years ago.

I think Best is stronger in every department, and proved it against Saints at FG in the group stages of this seasons HC. Hartley...out played by his opposite number once against had to resort to violence. Best for me is a much better scrummager - Hartley still constantly pops up. Is better in defence as evidenced by his massive tackle and turnover rate in the HC (more turnovers than any openside in the tournament) Is just as good at carrying and has a much better temperament than Hartley as a player and captain (not that it would be hard). I'd give Best the edge when it comes to the darts as well. Better in every area for me.
Yes, on current form I think that our front row has to be 1. Healy 2. Best 3. Cole.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Hartley's temperament is the single biggest reason why he can't be anywhere near a Lions shirt. It's not his ability.

If he can prove to concentrate on his rugby and not use rugby as an exercise in sledging the opposition and getting in as many cheap shots as possible he could be a huge asset to any team.

Lets see if he can reclaim his shirt off Tom Youngs and then whether he has the temperament.

Indeed. It's Youngs shirt to lose at the moment. After Hartley's ban Youngs stepped up and quietly got on with his job, took on board all the critcism thrown his way (i.e. can't throw a line out ball for toffee at test level) and has improved a huge amount. With that he doesn't go around using cheap shots.

I'm not a Dylan Hartley hater (he seems to be his own worst enemy at times), but over the course of the season Youngs has at least earnt a rotation place at 2 when needed for his country.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

AlastairW wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Indeed. It's Youngs shirt to lose at the moment. After Hartley's ban Youngs stepped up and quietly got on with his job, took on board all the critcism thrown his way (i.e. can't throw a line out ball for toffee at test level) and has improved a huge amount. With that he doesn't go around using cheap shots.

I'm not a Dylan Hartley hater (he seems to be his own worst enemy at times), but over the course of the season Youngs has at least earnt a rotation place at 2 when needed for his country.

May well hold Hartley out.

Its been a very long while since England had the depth for competition of front five players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
AlastairW wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

May well hold Hartley out.

Its been a very long while since England had the depth for competition of front five players.

Not sure i'd go as far as to say there's depth of competition in the full front 5, Corbs/Cole is head and shoulders above others in the propping stakes. There is potential depth at 2/4/5 though. I guess 3/5 isn't bad! Smile

We'll see; the 6N is going to very interesting this year! All home nations players looking to not just go over & above for their nation, but for the rights to take an Aussy holiday as well.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 28 Jan 2013, 8:35 pm

Its def between Cole and Adam Jones, Cole does give away a fair few pens in the loose mind.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

munkian

Thats mainly because Jones can't get to where Cole goes!!!

IMHO Cole is standout TH for the Lions right now, Jones close behind but definately behind!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm

munkian wrote:Its def between Cole and Adam Jones, Cole does give away a fair few pens in the loose mind.

As blue says, it because Jones can't get to the breakdown as quick as Cole. Coles turnover work is pretty impressive.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:15 am

Cole also makes more turnovers (probably). Cole is one of the few players I don't going of the Lions tour as it forces us to look at others for the tight head position.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

Realistically would Wilson come straight in or would a much younger prop get fast tracked?

I would like to see Hartley on the bench for the first game, ignoring all the questions around Hartley Youngs has done nothing to be dropped in my eyes and Lancaster must reward good performances.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:07 am

yappysnap wrote:Realistically would Wilson come straight in or would a much younger prop get fast tracked?

I would like to see Hartley on the bench for the first game, ignoring all the questions around Hartley Youngs has done nothing to be dropped in my eyes and Lancaster must reward good performances.

+1

I'm expecting/hoping he starts with the same team where possible.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down