The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improving footwork in the ring

+6
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
manos de piedra
ShahenshahG
OasisBFC
10 posters

Go down

Improving footwork in the ring Empty Improving footwork in the ring

Post by OasisBFC Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

Hi boys and girls.
I've been boxing for around 4 months and getting better and love it.

Sparring is by far my favourite part but I find I'm being hit too often as my feet feel heavy. I can see the shots coming but by the time i've moved i've already been tagged.

Do any of you boxers have advice for being lighter on my feet and able to get out the way of attacks? I'm not gonna be bouncing around the ring too much, im 6ft 2 and over 16 stone. I can definitely feel my Christmas diet have an impact so losing a bit of weight is a good start…
Fitness is also key too.

I know other areas of defence would help, but this is specifically aimed at improving my footwork and being lighter/quicker around the ring.

Gracias amigos.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Improving footwork in the ring Empty Re: Improving footwork in the ring

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:18 pm

put on a weight vest and skip + run. Watch how light you feel then. 5 kg to start off

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:18 pm

Rope jumping and shadow boxing I would recommend. When running also try running in heavier boots as opposed to light runners.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

I know you say that you don't think you can see yourself bouncing around the ring too much, but I honestly think that using the skipping rope as a massive part of your training does help, as long as it's done properly (ie, feet not leaving the ground by more than an inch or so and plenty of revolutions - no playground stuff!).

Not sure if this is part of your training or not but I tend to find that a lot of people seem a bit reluctant to jump the rospe thise days as they either a) look pretty ungainly and uncoordinated at it when they first try, or b) think it's a bit too out-dated and old-fashioned. But I found that it helps balance and quickness in the feet loads.

Also, if you can really crank the pace up on it, it's a great way of toning arms and provides a good cardio work out, which will assist in the weight loss!

It's not going to turn you from being heavy-legged to a ballet dancer, but if you can learn to glide and softly bounce rather than shuffle and stride forwards and backwards it helps a hell of a lot and, as you'll know, it's musch easier to digest a punch if you've got your feet on the ground or only just off it - walk in toa shot in the middle of a big, cumbersome stride, and chances are you'll be visiting the deck.

There are drill exercises you can do as well if you'd prefer to work solely in the ring, similar to the ones the Cuban amateur team always use. They usually involve setting out markers in one quarter of the ring and you work the pads nipping in and out the designated spaces as quickly as possible, eventually honing it enough so that you're not over-extending or reaching in to punches, crossing the feet etc. They are a bit more advanced and tricky, mind you! I think it might have been Ian Oliver who did a couple of really good supplements on training drills which are probably available online for a couple of quid, might be worth checking them out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

To be honest Mate...you've either got quick feet or you haven't...Like reflexes.....not much you can do about it..

I had the same problem you just have to tighten up in other areas..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

Loads of great stuff on this website

http://www.expertboxing.com/

My recommendation is to include more footwork into your pad drills or bag work. I see so many people hitting pads or bags and they stay completely still. They stand in front of their partner, completely in range and batter away. Then when it comes to sparring they're so easy to pick off as they haven't trained properly.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 29 Jan 2013, 3:08 pm

cheers for the replies. i do skipping and enjoy it. Another issue is im currently suffering with shin splints due to running so im waiting for that to get better. its had an obvious impact on my footwork as i cant jump around on my toes as much but its not the cause of my heavy footedness.

i'll lose a bit of weight and improve my fitness but also look at skipping more.

my reflexes are fine, ive got a decent snappy jab, its probably my favourite punch, it just seems my lower body doesn't follow as fast as i want it to. fatigue obviously has an impact in being sluggish so fitness again will play a key. cheers

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:46 pm

Watch Jose Napoles

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm

Drills, Drills, Drills.

A good boxing gym should have drill lines on the floor. Basically lots of Triangles, Tramlines and Circles of various shapes and sizes with small perpendicular lines intersecting the main lines at 2-4 inch intervals.

A good coach should show you how to use them.

When the coach is not around, It's essential you have a sound understanding of the fundamentals of movement, a mirror, and a critical eye to self assess.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Drills, Drills, Drills.

A good boxing gym should have drill lines on the floor. Basically lots of Triangles, Tramlines and Circles of various shapes and sizes with small perpendicular lines intersecting the main lines at 2-4 inch intervals.

Outdated.

All you need is cardio cardio cardio. Triangles, circles, tramlines not needed. Get a steady running programe going and work on stop and starts then simpley work your legs and footwork INSIDE the ring.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm

I know Drills sounds outdated, but sadly gaffer tape on the floor is cutting edge technology when it comes footwork!.

You would not believe how many gyms don't have drill lines... or just as bad coaches without an ounce of imagination to make them effective.

Skipping in Gym halls is the worst thing in the world if you have shin splints, I've suffered them all my life. It sucks.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm

As well as tape their are various drills with cones. However, if you are in a busy club they are not always the best idea. Rope ladders are also decent, but again these can be replicated with tape(i.e. Tramlines with perpendicular lines).

Another thing you can do is partner work. You hold his shoulders while he holds yours. You assume boxing stance. One attacks and one defends, the aims; as you move around, the attacker try's to touch the defenders front foot with their own front foot, keep tabs and swap roles, the whole time maintain perfect base.

Other partner drills include two boxers on tram lines facing each other, one fighter has the lead and dictates movement, while the other must react quickly and maintain a predetermined foot distance between. Once this is mastered introduce lateral movement.

The acts of cutting the ring off, maintaining centre, and utilising the ring peripheries all involve very different techniques. Try assuming one of these roles with a partner in the ring (no punches).

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm

One of the most fleet footed fighters in the world utilising rope ladders (tramlines) to good effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71VvAsKHwvQ
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:27 pm

Everything here is taught using drills and mirrors, then shadow boxing and mirrors, then sparring and then fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgXxyToirI
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:41 am

I'm with Truss and Mackem here - its nigh on impossible to train that side of your skillset without more than just "cardio" - Mackems tips on the drills will get your legs stronger and more steady, but Truss is right, some people aren't Muhammad Ali.

The reason you're probably getting hit is you're not telegraphing the punches, if you're reacting to the leather coming towards you then you're too slow and will get hit. You can train your footwork all you like, but all you're doing there is just getting fitter and more used to the movement rather than what you need to do in the ring. If you get faced with someone who knows how to cut off the ring and keeps coming forward then you'll find that being fast on your feet doesn't mean anything.

I say that being very fast on my feet myself. I'm naturally quick so that helps, but I can also see whats coming. The minute their shoulder drops, its defense and thinking where to come from the counter, silly things like circling off the jab and coming back across the straight just after its thrown - you'll tie your opponent in knots. Basically, do some non-contact sparring and stand further away than you would if it were for real, watch the movements they'll make. No two boxers are the same, but you'll get the jist of it, in close you'll get to feel what punch they're about to throw.

I ramble - and my advice isn't often taken, but hope you work it out soon dude Smile

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:31 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Outdated.

All you need is cardio cardio cardio. Triangles, circles, tramlines not needed. Get a steady running programme going and work on stop and starts then simpley work your legs and footwork INSIDE the ring.

I think this is a poor joke, or maybe ignorance? Either way, don't listen.

Running (stopping and starting) is going to improve your boxing footwork as much as it will improve your tennis, squash, fencing and river dance footwork. If you are rubbish at footwork it will only help you use your rubbish footwork for longer.

I'm involved in coaching boxing (not so much since having the baby) and have traveled up and down the country meeting many and various coaches, drills are brilliant.

How much footwork you do will ultimately depend on how much time you dedicate to boxing (for instance we dedicated at least 1 to 2 hr of each 5 to 7 hr training day)

Footwork is the single most important component of boxing, even more important than throwing punches. Throwing punches is the easy bit.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:39 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Outdated.

All you need is cardio cardio cardio. Triangles, circles, tramlines not needed. Get a steady running programme going and work on stop and starts then simpley work your legs and footwork INSIDE the ring.

I think this is a poor joke, or maybe ignorance? Either way, don't listen.

Running (stopping and starting) is going to improve your boxing footwork as much as it will improve your tennis, squash, fencing and river dance footwork. If you are rubbish at footwork it will only help you use your rubbish footwork for longer.

I'm involved in coaching boxing (not so much since having the baby) and have traveled up and down the country meeting many and various coaches, drills are brilliant.

How much footwork you do will ultimately depend on how much time you dedicate to boxing (for instance we dedicated at least 1 to 2 hr of each 5 to 7 hr training day)

Footwork is the single most important component of boxing, even more important than throwing punches. Throwing punches is the easy bit.

Shame. Impressive you kept it up while pregnant though.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:44 am

Laugh Laugh
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

As always the boxing community proves itself to be the most accommodating in sport.
Ive played other sports and been around teams who play other sports and there always seem to be an arrogance. I used to play basketball but couldn’t stand basketball players. But every lad in our boxing gym is cool…a bit rough around the edges yes…but all sound guys.

Cheers everyone.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:One of the most fleet footed fighters in the world utilising rope ladders (tramlines) to good effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71VvAsKHwvQ

@Mackem

The first time I've seen this type of training & can see this would help with improving footwork, was a bit surprised that onetwo dissed & then replied with cardio cardio cardio. I don't see an hour on the stepper, crosstrainer or rower etc would help much with footwork or running alone for that matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Everything here is taught using drills and mirrors, then shadow boxing and mirrors, then sparring and then fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgXxyToirI

Another good video with regards to good footwork & those at the top that have it. First time I've seen anything of rigo, bad i know, & was very impressed. As I said on another thread i can see why you rate him so highly & fancy him over Donaire, although I can't really have much of an opinion on the latter until I've watched some of his fights first. Lucky he's only had a short career so far, I'll start with some tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down