The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss the following...

+31
Shifty
splenetic
monwy
red_stag
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
fa0019
nobbled
Rinsure
Jimpy
RuggerRadge2611
rodders
emack2
dragonbreath
lostinwales
AlastairW
The Great Aukster
GloriousEmpire
captain carrantuohil
thebluesmancometh
Feckless Rogue
Glas a du
Luckless Pedestrian
Poorfour
Permian1988
Alex_Germany
Biltong
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
GunsGerms
Jenifer McLadyboy
Bathman_in_London
Notch
35 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Discuss the following... - Page 3 Empty Discuss the following...

Post by Notch Tue 29 Jan 2013, 5:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

The Six Nations is an anachronistic competition featuring under-prepared, poorly coached test sides playing average rugby in front of large crowds of fans who only follow the sport for two months a year.

Thats my broadside, my abstract if you will. What do you make of that? As a dyed in the wool rugby fan I'm finding it increasingly hard to get excited by this the way I get excited about the World Cup, or Lions Tours, or the Summer tours or Autumn Internationals- or even the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup or Pro12.

For me, the magic is gone. I feel like in an era when only three of the competing nations are in the Top 8 of the IRB World Rankings and teams get such a limited amount of time together to bond and prepare the appeal is slowly ebbing away. I find myself increasingly pondering what should replace the tournament in the calendar. Sentiment can't sustain it for me if it isn't backed up by quality rugby.

I'm interested to hear what other people think.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Discuss the following... - Page 3 Empty Re: Discuss the following...

Post by splenetic Fri 01 Feb 2013, 1:12 am

monwy wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
emack2 wrote:Rinsure one things for sure you would`nt have wanted the Rumania of the SOVBLOC DAYS .In the 6Ns they would have won it most years ,Grand slams too.When France were considered THE best side in Europe they regularly lost to Rumania they were a GREAT side.

The actual facts suggest a touch of exageration there. The best winning streak against 5 nations opposition theyve ever had is 2 games.
They did beat France 4 games out of 9 in the mid seventies to early 80s, but lost the previous 5 and next 5. That doesnt sound like the form of a side that wouldve won the 6N "most years" (indeed England nowactually do beat France most years but still pretty much never win the ruddy thing!)

Regarding France regularly losing to Romania, they did indeed lose to them 8 times between 1960 & 1990, but all but 1 of those games (the last, a warm up match to their Australian tour that took place in Auch with more than a few squad players starting over those that would tour) were in Romania. By comparison, France won 22 games against Romania in the same time frame, 9 of which were in Romania.

Memory can certainly be an unreliable beast. Many recall things to be greater than they were, particularly the further in the past they become.

splenetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 02 Feb 2013, 4:32 pm

It's a cracking tournament so far.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 Feb 2013, 4:33 pm

That it is. It most certainly is.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 02 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

Well done Sir Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 02 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

Notch wrote:The Six Nations is an anachronistic competition featuring under-prepared, poorly coached test sides playing average rugby in front of large crowds of fans who only follow the sport for two months a year.

your missing the real point notch.

Tens of thousands of Welsh and Irish fans will be painting Cardiff green and red tonight. Friendships will be made tha may go on for years and most will have a good time.
That's more of what 6 nations is about.

Yes on occasion for some reason the rugby is poor, with the pressure and often the shocking weather, but that's life. Just enjoy the rugby and look forward to hopefully getting the bragging rights over your neighbours for 12 months. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 02 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

I don't think bonus points could have improved that match.

But I stick to my guns on 6 Nations in the summer.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 02 Feb 2013, 4:39 pm

Today is the summer Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 02 Feb 2013, 6:11 pm

two good games today

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 02 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

Case closed

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 02 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm

And England v Scotland is normally among the worst matches of the tournament in terms of entertainment. So it's looking good.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:12 pm

This has been the weekend this tournament needed- three brilliant games. Can't remember the last time the Six Nations was this good!

If it continues, this tournament might just be crawling Lazarus like out of the grave! And long may it continue Ale
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owP1J5cfRHE&feature=youtu.be
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 03 Feb 2013, 11:17 pm

Notch - just caught up with this topic, and your feelings about it.

Following your Province in European competition (as I do mine), albeit in the 'Province of Wycombe Wink ) the 6N has forged friendships across nationalities.

Folks prepared to house people from another country once that friendship is formed.

You can't knock that.

The best national tournament in the world. And for reasons more than the actual rugby.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:00 am

Is this the best start to a 6 (or 5) Nations ever?

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:58 am

DaveM wrote:Is this the best start to a 6 (or 5) Nations ever?

Yup. Unless you were on the losing side I guess.

But there are positives to take from all supporters imo.

Ireland - a very good all round team. If there is a worry, it was giving Wales so much space to attack, having gone so far ahead. No worries; England in Dublin next, and Ireland will give it 'full bore' knowing they have a week off afterwards.

Wales - supposedly running rugby is in their blood. Try running at space (as they used to) rather than trying to bash through opposing defenders. More to come from Wales I feel, if they can build on that second half.

Scotland - have try scoring potential in the back three. And didn't treat the ball like a hot potato for a change. Kelly Brown was phenomenal in a losing cause. Rally round that man, Scotland.

England - the fast paced, offloading game is starting to bear fruit. Though there were many errors of judgement about offloading when taking the ball into contact when recycling the ball was a better option. They are playing at a very fast pace.

France - for many the French were likely champions, but they played like headless chickens. There appeared to be no leadership and no game plan. Off the cuff rugby can be a joy to watch, but the French didn't even do that. But France will still have a big say in this tournament.

Italy - It is easy to patronise Italy, but the spine tingling rendition of their national anthem made me feel that they were ready to topple France again. They did, through guts, determination and great execution when they had their chances. The best 80 minutes I have seen from them at this level.

What's not to like.

Smile. Discuss the following... - Page 3 3933776953

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Mon 04 Feb 2013, 1:24 am

emack2 wrote:Rinsure one things for sure you would`nt have wanted the Rumania of the SOVBLOC DAYS .In the 6Ns they would have won it most years ,Grand slams too.When France were considered THE best side in Europe they regularly lost to Rumania they were a GREAT side.
Thats a fact.I worked with the Red Cross during the 1980 s in refugee camps in Europe and many of the great Romanian players of that era died during the fighting against/for the securatate and the Ceausescu regime in 1989 revolution. Seventy thousand died in one week of vicious fighting alone.The Romanian side never quite recovered since that time and are now a shadow of those great sides.
Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3