The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Paint

+8
Dr Gregory House MD
Kaiser
theundisputedY2D2
talkingpoint
Mr H
Hero
Mr Video Man
Kid Vicious
12 posters

Go down

Face Paint Empty Face Paint

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

Is it time for this medium to return to the fold?
Could it be a way for that future new Company Face to be even more over?

I'm not talking Jeff Hardy's remedial-child attempt at painting his face, but more a homage to the late80's/early90's face-painting heyday. What would Warrior, LOD and Sting have been without the face paint? Was the face paint merely the icing on the cake of their characters that were so far over anyways they could've wrestled in a pink tutu and still got a pop, or was it the foundation of their characters that were only over because the kids wanted to play as them?

What if Ryback had redebuted with a flash of paint? It would've distanced him from Skip Sheffield and possibly the Goldberg comparisons, but would he have got more over for it? Or should face painting in wrestling be left as a distant memory?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Face Paint Empty Re: Face Paint

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:52 am

I never really understood facepaint. Half way through the matech and after sweating, it comes off anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

it works for certain guys but it doesn't work for everyone for example if john cena had a painted face people would think what the hell is he doing?......whereas if its someone like amazing red it would work
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:06 pm

I think we're all forgeting the most important question...

Why did Sting try to paint Hogan's face????

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

It certainly wouldn't work on John Cena, no. He's far too well established. I'd go as far as to say that even someone near the bottom of the roster like Tyson Kidd is too well established. And anyway, his in-ring technique doesn't lend itself to face paint ideals.

UW, LOD and Sting all debuted (ie their WCW/WWF debut) with it. Could it be given to a future main-event when they get the call up? It'd have to be used sparingly.. Tatanka had a flash, but he never really got over with it and the Mad Max vibe was stale by the early 90's. But surely someone could run with it at main event level again?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:13 pm

I think it could be certainly used with a high flyer, personally I'd go with it on a pairing. A new tag team, both decent in the air and both with similar outfits and face paint.

Imagine PAC (Adrian Neville) and El Generico (WWE name to be determined) starting off together as a branded tag team, they'd be hugely over.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

PAC and Generico together would be amazing. They'd get over no matter what if WWE let them off the leash. What about someone like Jessie Godderz?

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:36 pm

Justin Gabriel could pull it off. Be a shame to hide his beautiful face though.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:46 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:PAC and Generico together would be amazing. They'd get over no matter what if WWE let them off the leash. What about someone like Jessie Godderz?

He needs something certainly as at present he's just a bit bland looking although when I saw him live he's pretty decent at generating heat from the crowd.

I thought Generico & PAC as a team with proper branding, designed matching outfits, face paint etc would just be a poster dream as a fresh tag team, the 'Universe' would go ape for them.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm

Godderz has got the look, but to me he's just a cheap Buff Bagwell. That's not a path he wants to be on. It's too easy and too generic. But Warrior and Sting were saved from a cheap gimmick, and can be too.

PAC and Generico together as a branded team could go places. Would either want to be in a team though? It's not their choice, but the people would pick up on poor chemistry. A lot of the teams of the past had an outside-the-ring friendship. Still, they'd be awesome together.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

I think there would be fairly decent chemistry, they've wrestled against each pther quite a lot of times and have tagged upon occasion.

Just checking on onlineworldofwrestling for stats in fact and I don't know how accurate they are for every match but they've certainly gone up against one another a few times according to there:

September 23, 2006–IPW UK: PAC defeated El Generico & Kevin Steen in a 3 Way Match..
October 15, 2006–IPW UK: El Generico defeated PAC..
April 7, 2007–Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: El Generico defeated PAC (UK) to retain the PWG World Heavyweight title..
April 28, 2007–IPW UK: PAC defeated El Generico in a best of 3 falls match..
May 4, 2007–Westside Xtreme Wrestling: El Generico defeated PAC in Essen, Germany…
June 30, 2007–1PW: PAC beat El Generico & Doug Williams & Jonny Storm in a 4-WAY to retain the 1PW Openweight Title..
July 29, 2007–Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: El Generico & Kevin Steen beat PAC & Roderick Strong to win the PWG Tag Team titles..
August 23, 2007–Ballpark Brawl: Sterling J. Keenan beat El Generico & Trent Acid & PAC & John McChesney & Xtremo (6-WAY)..

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

So they've known and worked with each other for 7 years. Good enough for me.
Vince, make this happen!

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 31 Jan 2013, 2:44 pm

what's wrong with Hardy's facepaint? I like it! Cry LOL

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

What happened to Leslie Case?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

talkingpoint wrote:what's wrong with Hardy's facepaint? I like it! Cry LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFydYZjs5T4

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

Hero wrote:I think it could be certainly used with a high flyer, personally I'd go with it on a pairing. A new tag team, both decent in the air and both with similar outfits and face paint.

Imagine PAC (Adrian Neville) and El Generico (WWE name to be determined) starting off together as a branded tag team, they'd be hugely over.

You can't give a guy named Adrian Neville facepaint! Laugh

Guys who wore facepaint in the good old days always had a mystique about them, can you imagine the commentators shouting "OHMEHGERD! WHO IS THIS MYSTERIOUS NEWCOMER?!" and then PAC gets on the mic all "Alreet pet? Me name's Adrian Neville. Ah come froom Parts Unknowen!"

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

What else can they give him?

Have him dressed up as Gazza with a fishing rod, half a chicken and a few tinnies?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:
Hero wrote:I think it could be certainly used with a high flyer, personally I'd go with it on a pairing. A new tag team, both decent in the air and both with similar outfits and face paint.

You can't give a guy named Adrian Neville facepaint! Laugh

Guys who wore facepaint in the good old days always had a mystique about them, can you imagine the commentators shouting "OHMEHGERD! WHO IS THIS MYSTERIOUS NEWCOMER?!" and then PAC gets on the mic all "Alreet pet? Me name's Adrian Neville. Ah come froom Parts Unknowen!"

now you owe me a coffee!
Laugh

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

Hero wrote:What else can they give him?

Have him dressed up as Gazza with a fishing rod, half a chicken and a few tinnies?

That sh|t will draw!

Although the American commentators would probably call him Gaah-zaah.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:35 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:now you owe me a coffee!
Laugh

Laugh We'll call it even then!

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:47 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:
Kid Vicious wrote:now you owe me a coffee!
Laugh

Laugh We'll call it even then!

i had visions of a geordie Ultimate Warrior
"loo-da speeceship with da rockit fuel. loo-dit with da worriers"

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

WWE creative have nothing on us.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:12 pm

So do we think that bo dallas could come out with face paint next week and get away with it we've only seen him twice but two good showings so would the paint already be a mistake or could it give him something a little extra?

Kaiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:18 pm

Ah can smell it like...it is in tha air...tha cosmic powers of Mars pet...tha cloouds of Jupiter...tha rings of saturn...tha boiling heeat of Mercury. Something's gonna happen, Warriors. Ah canna feel it. Warriors, Ah need not Earthquake insurance. Ah need not health insurance. Ah will nivvor need leif insurance. Fre tha Warriors aal knaa , the leif tha flows in thor body IS NOT Tha O da NORMALS. Tha marrow in these bones is of a different composition. Tha blood in these veins like is of a different consistency. The brain waves in me mind are of an unknown frequency pet. Tha muscles tha the Warriors attact themselves te is of a different structure. Not even yee Dolph Ziggla... not even yee Big Show...not even a natural disaster, can stop me, as Ah tyek the Warriors an fullfill the Ultimate Destiny

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:19 pm

Kaiser wrote:So do we think that bo dallas could come out with face paint next week and get away with it we've only seen him twice but two good showings so would the paint already be a mistake or could it give him something a little extra?

Bo Dallas needs to find a gym before he gets fine-tuned with face-paint.
Professional athlete my a*se.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:20 pm

Hero wrote:Ah can smell it like...it is in tha air...tha cosmic powers of Mars pet...tha cloouds of Jupiter...tha rings of saturn...tha boiling heeat of Mercury. Something's gonna happen, Warriors. Ah canna feel it. Warriors, Ah need not Earthquake insurance. Ah need not health insurance. Ah will nivvor need leif insurance. Fre tha Warriors aal knaa , the leif tha flows in thor body IS NOT Tha O da NORMALS. Tha marrow in these bones is of a different composition. Tha blood in these veins like is of a different consistency. The brain waves in me mind are of an unknown frequency pet. Tha muscles tha the Warriors attact themselves te is of a different structure. Not even yee Dolph Ziggla... not even yee Big Show...not even a natural disaster, can stop me, as Ah tyek the Warriors an fullfill the Ultimate Destiny

amazing!
Laugh

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:
Kaiser wrote:So do we think that bo dallas could come out with face paint next week and get away with it we've only seen him twice but two good showings so would the paint already be a mistake or could it give him something a little extra?

I wonder if Bo Dallas has been rushed through and given a decent push to give his brother Bray Wyatt more of an impact when he moves onto the roster.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

Hero wrote:
Kid Vicious wrote:

I wonder if Bo Dallas has been rushed through and given a decent push to give his brother Bray Wyatt more of an impact when he moves onto the roster.

I'm guessing it's more to do with who their dad is. Neither are particularly special compared to what else is coming through.
"BAH GAWD, HUSKY IS LIKE WATCHING DUSTY RHODES"
Screw you Jim Ross.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:43 pm

Not a fan of the Bray Wyatt gimmick KV? I think it's the best happening on NXT, really hoping they keep the stable together when they move up to RAW.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:51 pm

Maybe I'm being unfairly harsh on Husky/Bray. It's good to see a talented big man coming through rather than another pretty boy from the cover of Mens Health. But they should let him cut his own path rather than needlessly comparing him to the past greats. Compare him to Mike Rotunda, sure. Give his name a little air time, but the Dusty comparison a couple of weeks before he got sent back was a bit of a joke. The kid aint got a chance!

Can you imagine Ryan Nemeth getting the call up proper,
BAH GAWD, IT'S LIKE WATCHING BRET HART AND SHAWN MICHAELS ROLLED INTO ONE. like, let em get going before you do that to them JR.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:10 pm

To be fair to Jim Ross he probably compared Bray Wyatt to Duthty Rhodeth cos they're both tubby and mayhaps the kids have heard of the American Dream.

He couldn't very well start shouting "BAH GAWD KING IT'S LIKE WATCHING A FAT WAYLON MERCY! WAYLON! WAYLON! WAYLON! STONE COLD! STONE COLD! STONE COLD! WHADDAYA MEAN THE KING AIN'T HERE?! BAH GAWD THAT AIN'T RIGHT! THIS HAS BEEN THE GREATEST NXT OF ALL TIMES! BARBECUE! SLOBBERKNOCKER! BRAY WYATT'S GOT SOME SLOBBERKNOCKERS! BAH GAWD HE'S JIGGLING! TATSU! TATSU! BAH GAWD TATSU!"

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

Bray Wyatt is fantastic it has to be said, probably The best character in Nxt

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 01 Feb 2013, 3:35 pm

Hero wrote:I think we're all forgeting the most important question...

Why did Sting try to paint Hogan's face????

I thought he was trying to cover up the Hulkster's bald patch but got a bit carried away. Wink

Getting serious for a moment, I think for facepaint to work, the wrestler has to have a strong character / unique identity. It won't work with your usual big, buffed, good-looking types IMO...they need to be a it different/unusual.

Guys like Ultimate Warrior and Sting were obviously immediately recognisable through their personalities and dress, as well as the makeup. I've always been a little surprised The Undertaker didn't have some facial artwork.

On to current wrestlers, I think someone like Samoa Joe could use facepaint. Given his heritage, a nice Maori-style (yes I know thats New Zealand) warrior "tattoo" would give his usual psychotic stare added fear factor.

Contradicting myself somewhat I could see Garrett Bischoff and Wes Briscoe as comic-book style heroes. Okay both are well-built and good looking, but they're relatively new and not well-established personalities yet.

Beyond that I really can't think of anyone off the top of my head that it would work for.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Bray Wyatt is fantastic it has to be said, probably The best character in Nxt

The whole deranged 'Family' reminds me a little of 'The brood' with Bray being Gangrel Smile

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:54 pm

Its worked well for Tensai

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:04 pm

for the suggestion of samoa joe having tribal facepaint, didnt he already do that around the time he went all biker gimmick?

If you are going to do facepaint, you have to go sting like of it isnt worth it (as in surfer sting not joker sting)

and for the record, I like Jeffs facepaint and weird robotic eyes thing. Its the most interesting thing about him!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:58 pm

Not his inner monologue?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down