The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prospects for Del Potro in 2013

+16
CAS
invisiblecoolers
sirfredperry
laverfan
ryan86
lags72
banbrotam
Henman Bill
time please
LuvSports!
summerblues
Danny_1982
User 774433
bogbrush
socal1976
MrInvisible
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Prospects for Del Potro in 2013 - Page 2 Empty Prospects for Del Potro in 2013

Post by MrInvisible Sun 03 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

What sort of a year do people think Del Potro will have in 2013? Ironically in 2012 his most notable performances came on his weakest surface, grass, in the Olympics tournament, where he managed to follow-up his epic loss to Federer with a win over Djokovic to claim Bronze medal.

Australian Open he had an early loss to the talented but inconsistent Chardy. For me, a player like Chardy is a good barometer of where a player is. Chardy hit some great shots in that match - lovely tennis, but I got the feeling that if Federer, Djokovic or Murray had played him in that form, they would have found a way to win, even if outplayed.

Del Potro also tends to struggle against Ferrer, a player who he'll typically have to face in quarter-finals of big tournaments before one of the top 4 players in semi-final. For me, I still don't think Del Potro has quite regained the level he had before his injury problems - not quite as sharp in tie-breaks and seems to have lost a little bit of intensity.

However, I think there are opportunities for him over the coming months. He has a chance to do well in the 2 Spring Masters Series events at Indian Wells and Miami, what with Nadal 'still nursing his knees', Federer on lighter schedule than previously, and Djokovic unlikely to repeat his 2011 exploits. A good hardcourt Spring could really see Del Potro building his confidence up again.

Regarding Roland Garros, whilst Federer would probably be 3rd favourite ahead of Del Potro, both Nadal and Djokovic will have lots of pressure on them, Del Potro has pushed Federer before at Roland Garros and he could find himself with a good opportunity.

Wimbledon, despite DelPo's exploits on grass last year at Olympics, I really don't see him being a factor, but US Open, if he's played himself into form for then we could see him back towards his best.

In conclusion, whilst he is not quite up there with the top 4 at moment I do feel we shouldn't write him off, whilst we concentrate on Djokovic v Murray rivalry, Nadal's form after his mysterious absence and marvelling at Federer still being at top of the game.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Prospects for Del Potro in 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Prospects for Del Potro in 2013

Post by banbrotam Mon 25 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

There's "superb" and then there is form that constantly troubles the Top 4

I agree, this was DP at his best - yet he still lost is way, yet again against Murray in the Rogers Cup final

I don't care how close the match was, Murray upped his game in the 3rd set and DP was nowhere

Statistically, DP was only not "comfortably" below the Top 4, because Murray bust his wrist at the US Open and wasn't fully fit until the O2, if then

He continues to get talked up, simply because people on these boards are desperate for a new and regular challenger to the usual suspects

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Prospects for Del Potro in 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Prospects for Del Potro in 2013

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 5:50 pm

Banbro, I still think that while you are right he is a cut below the top 4 guys and that is clear, I do think he has the best chance of upping his level and finding his way through a grandslam field. It is between him and Berdych at this stage maybe Tsonga. I don't think it is likely at present but I do feel that del Po is growing as a player were I don't feel that about Berdy or Tsonga. So I think he isn't there yet but is the guy with the best chance of the next group of making a push.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

DelPo came back from the brink against Baggy @Dubai. Not sure why he has such an up-and-down season.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

He's cruising today vs Somdev.
Rosol put to the sword by Seppi.
Fed on at 3pm.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm

Well, I'm watching Indian Wells final Del Potro vs Nadal, with the Argentinian winning a set and a break. Even if he loses this match, a tournament with back-to-back wins over Murray and Djokovic will have done wonders for his confidence. He's been serving back to his best and has been playing well defensively too, grinding out rallies when required, in addition to his bread-and-butter power tennis.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm

1 set shoot out to come... But regardless of that, what a week for Delpo. This could be the week that Delpo becomes a genuine slam challenger again.

I would put one question mark against it though... The players have been saying this is the highest bouncing court they've ever played on. That negates one of Delpo's biggest weaknesses... Dealing with slices and low balls.

That's always been how Murray has beaten him. Must be a dream for Delpo to play on a court where everything is in his hitting zone. Will he be this effective on courts with a normal bounce? We'll see.

I hope it's the start of something. I'd love to watch slams with 5 genuine contenders to win them.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:35 am

Rafa showed everyone what Rafa is about last night.. the will not to lose is one of his biggest strengths. I disagree Danny Delpos biggest weakness is his backhand. However saying that he played some superb tennis and I felt really sorry for him at the end of that match.. He did enough in a set and half to believe he was going to win that match.. but as Roger once said you never know you have won a match against Rafa until that last point is played.

Well for all the Nadal doubters I think we can safely say the King is back.
Long live the King king and with the Clay season around the corner I hope we will see a lot more of that type of performance . Well played to both clap

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2