The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Ospreys

+36
Ospreydragon
sheephead
tatterd
glamorganalun
Breadvan
Morgannwg
GLove39
pioden gorllewin
IanBru
doctornickolas
thebluesmancometh
wales606
Cari
Artful_Dodger
Gibson
toml
The Great Aukster
LeinsterFan4life
WillyGilly
Hookisms and Hyperbole
UlstermaninGlasgow
Thomond
VinceWLB
Sin é
Don Alfonso
ScarletSpiderman
rapidsnowman
MrsP
clivemcl
Standulstermen
neilthom7
Jenifer McLadyboy
red_stag
Kingshu
rodders
Notch
40 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Ospreys - Page 9 Empty Ulster vs Ospreys

Post by Notch Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Game on Friday, another sell-out crowd, but like everyone else we're scrabbling around with the Six Nations and injuries, trying to make ends meet. Declan Fitzpatrick, Rory Best, Chris Henry, Iain Henderson, Paddy Jackson and Craig Gilroy are all with the national side. John Afoa and Jared Payne are on leave to ensure they stay fresh on the home straight of the season. And Adam Macklin, Paddy McAllister, Stephen Ferris, Nick Williams, Roger Wilson, Tommy Bowe, Chris Farrell, Peter Nelson and Adam D'Arcy are all still injured.

Selection is further complicated by the news that Darren Cave and Andrew Trimble have been called into the Ireland squad as cover for Earls and D'Arcy- they are included here but aren't likely to be released from tacklebag duty until Thursday.

Forwards (14)

Nigel Brady, Rob Herring, Niall Annett, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Andrew Warwick, Tom Court, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Neil McComb, Johann Muller, Mike McComish Robbie Diack, Ali Birch.

Backs (11)

Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Niall O’Connor, Stuart Olding, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Michael Allen, Andrew Trimble, Chris Cochrane, Ricky Andrew.

There is some good news- Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy and Luke Marshall are back and available for selection. But it's a squad with no recognised tighthead, only 3 recognised backrows and only one recognised fullback. Of the props, it is to be hoped Tom Court stays at loosehead- the joke of trying him at 3 is testament to how we will fail to get the best out of him in that position and would further damage his international chances. Of the 4 looseheads in the squad the burden will probably fall on Richard Lutton to wear the 3 shirt with 21 year-old Prop/Hooker Andrew Warwick covering for him on the bench.

I would move the hard-grafting Neil McComb to the blindside flanker as a lineout option and a ball carrier, given how light we are in the backrow. With Jackson missing at 10, it's a good opportunity to look at Stuart Olding outside Ruan Pienaar and Luke Marshall to come off the bench.

Notchs XV;

1. Tom Court
2. Nigel Brady
3. Richard Lutton
4. Johann Muller (c)
5. Dan Tuohy
6. Neil McComb
7. Mike McComish
8. Robbie Diack
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Stuart Olding
11. Andrew Trimble
12. Paddy Wallace
13. Darren Cave
14. Michael Allen
15. Ricky Andrew

16. Rob Herring 17. Andrew Warwick 18. Callum Black 19. Lewis Stevenson 20. Ali Birch 21. Paul Marshall 22. Luke Marshall 23. Chris Cochrane.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Ospreys - Page 9 Empty Re: Ulster vs Ospreys

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 pm

MrsP wrote:The loss of the game os one thing but if we have lost Pienaar...

Now MrsP lets not talk like that , I'm sure he will be fine Fingers Crossed

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm

furious censored furious mad
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Yes it was indeed a spear tackle for the english red and correct decision by ref pretty bad tackle to be honest

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Notch wrote: furious censored furious mad

I feel like you may be annoyed Notch but it was very subtle lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 pm

neilthom7 wrote:

Pal,
If ye lost Pienaar for any length of time now, Ulsters season would be all but over. That's how key he is. I pray he is ok.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm

Fair play to the O's ulster where not at the races tonight and in truth if we had sneaked it it would not have been deserved. Still onwards and upwards. Hope Paddy, Muller and Pienaar are all okay. Herring had a bit of a mare tonight. Olding also although he's only young we'll cut him some slack. Scrums where at a minimum so thank goodness Court wasn't found out to often (HE'S NOT A TIGHTHEAD!!!!). Allen and Andrew both had solid games. Similarly Birch and Diack. Trimble was fairly anonymous. I hope being screwed over by kidney doesn't affect the rest of his season.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm

Didn't look like a stinger to me.

Crying or Very sad

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 pm

neilthom7 wrote:

Thats after I've had time to calm down. I can't believe how poor our forwards were.

We lost AGAIN at Ravenhill. Twice in the season mad furious censored furious

Unacceptable.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:35 pm

MrsP wrote:Didn't look like a stinger to me.

Crying or Very sad

Was it a Jerry Stinger perchance?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:35 pm

It was a fairly poor performance by us, our defence linespeed wasn't there tonight and support running was poor fromt he backs etc which is unusual, but we now have to put this behind us and move on. Allen, Birch, Andrew looked good, Diack too did reasonable. Herring had a poor game and could be out next time. Hope Pienaar is ok though.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Notch wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:

Thats after I've had time to calm down. I can't believe how poor our forwards were.

Unacceptable.

Woops. Here it comes. Our Notch is not best pleased.

It wont be nice. But it will be real.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Notch is about some serious truth bombs similar to the ones Herring was throwing in the lineouts tonight...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 pm

No, I couldn't be bothered.

If you have to say one thing about that performance it's that it still took a breakaway try to beat us even though every aspect of our forward play malfunctioned. No Scrum, no lineout, no breakdown and no ball carriers.

We really need to get our injured players back- especially Ferris, Wilson and Williams.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 pm

WillyGilly wrote:Notch is about some serious truth bombs similar to the ones Herring was throwing in the lineouts tonight...

I have another name for what Herring threw in the lineouts today mate, but this is a family forum

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:00 pm

How did Olding get on? The u20s really missed him tonight although Scannell did an ok job.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Notch wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:

Unacceptable.

Come on mate, you've only had two losses all season. At least your team won't lose at home this sunday.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Notch wrote:No, I couldn't be bothered.

If you have to say one thing about that performance it's that it still took a breakaway try to beat us even though every aspect of our forward play malfunctioned. No Scrum, no lineout, no breakdown and no ball carriers.

We really need to get our injured players back- especially Ferris, Wilson and Williams.

So, no room for improvement then bud?

Last edited by Gibson on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:How did Olding get on? The u20s really missed him tonight although Scannell did an ok job.

Didn't get a lot of chance to see much of him, spent a long time defending, Pienaar kicked and took a lot of the duties of him, passed well though.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Well done both sides great defences and having a go. Too much kicking by the Ospreys flyhalf and some stupid kicks for simple marks to relieve pressure. Enjoyable game could be repeated in the final of the playoff. The better team by some distance deserved to win tonight.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 pm

What a brilliant game of rugby and a great advert for the pro12. Ospreys thoroughly deserved the win despite the pathetic Italian ref trying his best to lose it for them. Their forwards mushed Ulsters. Worst decision for a yellow card I have ever seen. Don't let that ref near a game again. Brilliant spectacle though - well done both teams. PS Bearman, King, Bevington immense

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Bit disappointed with this comment notch. So Ospreys only won because Ulster played badly? What happened to Ulster having the superior back line. I think the Ospreys would have won by more if there was a stronger ref. He gave bad decisions against both teams but I think the Ospreys had the majority against them.
What did everyone think of the silence for the kicker?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 pm

The ref was pretty poor for both sides, but giving a YC to a player rather than the penalty he has won was just awful - that's what put Ulster in front, they didn't deserve to win from it.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 pm

sheephead wrote:

Bit disappointed with this comment notch. So Ospreys only won because Ulster played badly? What happened to Ulster having the superior back line. I think the Ospreys would have won by more if there was a stronger ref. He gave bad decisions against both teams but I think the Ospreys had the majority against them.

Thats not what he said at all mate he said that it took a breakaway try to beat us even though we played bad he was commenting on our reiliancy and that is rubish about the referee, he actually did not play nearly as bad as some of you Welsh fans let on, the yellow card was harsh but other than that he was ok, he let Ospreys away with just as much as Ulster. You should become a ref too and see if you can do any better, without refs there would be no games. As for our backline they never really go into it, they looked somewhat threatening when they did though, we looked very rusty hopefully we will be better nex time out. I didn't hear much wrong with the kicking silence, what is it you are trying to say there?

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Neilthom: on the kicker, irish fans often act whiter than white when it comes to kicker silence. Watch again and there geered/booed the conversion, it seems they do it when they feel fit.
On the ref, as fat as I can see I'm the first to comment and Ulster got away with slowing down the ball a lot. I know every team does it but it was blatant.

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:17 pm

A great win by Ospreys. A good game to watch -- lifts the spirits a bit to see such defence.

I said it when the Wales squad was announced -- Bearman should be in the Wales squad, instead of the lieks of Pretorious. I don't care about the fact that he's old and won't make it for the next WC. Intl rugby is about winning now and the players in form should be in the squad. This is the best season Bearm an has had for a couple of years -- before he had major injury (which prevented his callup to the Wales squad). There need to be more honest grafters who will give their all in the Wales squad.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Sure the fans were just trying to make the lad feel at home.

I suspect the noise was because of the forward pass that lead to the try that was being converted. Shouldn't happen but it is a bit rich having a Welsh fan complain about it.

Os deserved their win as our forwards were just nowhere near the level we have come to expect.

What I think Notch is saying is that even though parts of our game were a shambles it was still close. Our defence held firm against a lot of pressure.

As I said, well done the Os.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Sheephead I honestly never heard the jeering of the conversion, I shall watch again though to make sure, we at Ravenhill have a very proud tradition of silence during kicks it is enthasised over the tannoy at the start and people who do talk etc are ssshed by a majority of the crowd, off cours eit doesn't stop the odd idiot. Also there have been a number of postings on the ref, however I do have to say in general these boards seem to be getting worse for criticising refs and I have to say thats me included but I am trying to cut it out from myself anyways. Either way well done Ospreys a deserved win but if you come back in the final don't expect the same result Very Happy

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 pm

That's a bit rich Mrs P. Im just asking why the irish fans aren't condemning it like they do even when its not an irish team involved. Nice and blinkered that. For the record I couldn't give a Smeg about the noise.
There was no forward pass in the build up to the try either

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

There was a little bit of jeering just as he kicked it, nothing too noisy. The ref was terrible though and none of his decisions affected Ulster before you claim he was 50/50. I hope he gets better from this, we need more refs.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Sheephead I honestly never heard the jeering of the conversion, I shall watch again though to make sure, we at Ravenhill have a very proud tradition of silence during kicks it is enthasised over the tannoy at the start and people who do talk etc are ssshed by a majority of the crowd, off cours eit doesn't stop the odd idiot. Also there have been a number of postings on the ref, however I do have to say in general these boards seem to be getting worse for criticising refs and I have to say thats me included but I am trying to cut it out from myself anyways. Either way well done Ospreys a deserved win but if you come back in the final don't expect the same result Very Happy
Sorry if it came across like I was having a pop. Im the same as you I think. Especially when you 'think' that certain aspects of the game are being interpreted differently for either team, or breakdown to breakdown.
=D

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 pm

wales606 wrote:The ref was pretty poor for both sides, but giving a YC to a player rather than the penalty he has won was just awful - that's what put Ulster in front, they didn't deserve to win from it.

Yup terrible descison, clear Ospreys penalty...well done Ospreys, better side tonight, awesome defence in the second half.

Thought there wasn't much in it and a bit more composure and we could have nicked it. Hey ho you win some and lose some... guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 pm

Fair enough mate, things are certainly refereed differently sometimes I guess we just have to live with it. Ironically I am actually going to try and get qualified as a ref if nothing else it will help me understand how ahrd it is for them. Besides if they were all perfect what would we all talk about lol if Ireland beat England this Sunday I predict the ref will get it in the neck on here no matter how well he played

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 pm

sheephead wrote:

The silence for the kicker was well respected?

I think you've missed my point. Ospreys were the better team. But Ulster played to less than 20% of their potential and still only lost by four points. I thought we got a rough ride from the ref at the breakdown, he didn't know what was going on there. Let the defending side away with murder. You could tell he was guessing a lot of the time. Ospreys played him well, slowed down a lot of ball, but our backrow was terrible.

I don't think the ref affected the game, other than denying both teams quick ball by not having a grip on the contact area.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Down the Moore route hey. I wouldn't fancy it myself. My 5 pence when you hear the old folk say how the game was free flowing im the old days is that there want the same footage or scrutiny. We just see more than you could before. The product is people commenting on it (me/us). How come Court isn't in the Ireland set up? Is it that kidwny didn't want to upset Notch ?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 pm

sheephead wrote:Down the Moore route hey. I wouldn't fancy it myself. My 5 pence when you hear the old folk say how the game was free flowing im the old days is that there want the same footage or scrutiny. We just see more than you could before. The product is people commenting on it (me/us). How come Court isn't in the Ireland set up? Is it that kidwny didn't want to upset Notch ?

I don't even understand 90% of this comment. What the hell are you talking about?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Only joking Notch. Did any of your boys who were called up stay in the match day squad? What you think of King?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 pm

I think he was talking to me Notch about refereeing, and no he isn't in the Ireland squad because Deccie see Kilcoyne as more mobile even though Tom has been destroying people at Loosehead all season.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Court should probably be in ahead of Kilcoyne. Serious lack of TH's in Ireland though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 pm

King was fine. Hardly outstanding, but everything he did he did quite well.

The sideshow on Sunday has unfortunately taken six of our players. We then have about a half dozen injured and its those guys we need to get back asap.

We were especially affected by not having any tightheads available. Felt sorry for Tom Court out of position at tighthead. First few scrums he got beasted; not his fault when he is a loosehead by trade. But more than that, the lack of ball carriers killed us this week.

Williams or Ferris would have been the difference between winning and losing.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 pm

sheephead wrote:Down the Moore route hey. I wouldn't fancy it myself. For 2 pence when you hear the old folk say how the game was free flowing im their days is was the lack of footage and therefore scrutiny of breakdowns etc. We just see more than they could before. The product is people commenting/ complaining about incidents/ aspects of play (me/us). How come Court isn't in the Ireland set up? Is it that kidwny didn't want to upset Notch ?
. Translated from drunk welsh. Sorry Notch, been a long week and treated myself to a whisky during the game =D

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Yeah the backrow where all quite similar players and it hurt us a bit, We have a serious need for an Irish qualified tighthead, Andress has been here a few times so I don't know if he will come back, maybe one of the Leinster reservists since they seem to have about 5 there.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:03 am

neilthom7 wrote:Yeah the backrow where all quite similar players and it hurt us a bit, We have a serious need for an Irish qualified tighthead, Andress has been here a few times so I don't know if he will come back, maybe one of the Leinster reservists since they seem to have about 5 there.
Hands off Moore and Furlong!!!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:11 am

You say that Leinster but as we speak agent Boss is persuading them Belfast is a lovely city and they will like it better there Whistle

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:17 am

Love Belfast. Nice buzz about the place. Must be the people.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:26 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:Yeah the backrow where all quite similar players and it hurt us a bit, We have a serious need for an Irish qualified tighthead, Andress has been here a few times so I don't know if he will come back, maybe one of the Leinster reservists since they seem to have about 5 there.
Hands off Moore and Furlong!!!

You have 5 IQ tightheads... just saying. Some will need to leave. Use 'em or lose 'em.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Notch. All I can say is. If Ulster lose to the Ospreys at the weekend.... So what?

They can afford to lose the game. If Leinster lose to Cardiff I won't care about the 5 Leinster players that are holding the bags either, and we can not afford to lose like Ulster can.

If however Ireland lose to England. I will be seriously pi$$ed off.

If those 5 players can make a 0.000000000001% difference to Ireland's performance, then it's well worth the sacrifice.

One minute you are moaning that Ulster players can't get in the Ireland team, the next you are begrudging a few.

You're playing senior hurling now. You have to get used to the sacrifice.
Agreed...Ireland takes precedence over all the provinces and that includes Ulster.
Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:02 am

The game was awful and the ref was just as bad - not because he was biased in any way but simply because he ignored the offside law. Ulster aren't effective unless they can play flat, so having to concede 10 metres on most phases meant everything was lateral with no chance of going forwards.

The smash into Pienaar when he didn't have the ball should have been penalised as the intention was clear to everyone except the referee - hope it's not too serious but looked like a fracture of some description. How the AR missed the obvious forward pass for their breakaway was incredible as he was right on the spot?

The Ospreys played the officials better and deserved to win because they made fewer mistakes when in possession - they should really have stopped Ulster getting a bonus point. Ulster also got the rub with the YC that looked like a penalty to the Os for holding on.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:06 am

The Ospreys were superior in all departments and Ulster never looked like scoring a try. The refs performance was absolutely woeful and respect must be given to the O's players and management who stuck in there and got exactly what they deserved. The performance reminded me of Wales 2008 when we were happy for the opposition to have the ball knowing they were not going to get through the defence. Ulster just kept going backwards in the tackle. Well done to the O's young guns. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:07 am

The Great Aukster wrote:The game was awful and the ref was just as bad - not because he was biased in any way but simply because he ignored the offside law. Ulster aren't effective unless they can play flat, so having to concede 10 metres on most phases meant everything was lateral with no chance of going forwards.

The smash into Pienaar when he didn't have the ball should have been penalised as the intention was clear to everyone except the referee - hope it's not too serious but looked like a fracture of some description. How the AR missed the obvious forward pass for their breakaway was incredible as he was right on the spot?

The Ospreys played the officials better and deserved to win because they made fewer mistakes when in possession - they should really have stopped Ulster getting a bonus point. Ulster also got the rub with the YC that looked like a penalty to the Os for holding on.

Oh jesus Laugh!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 am

Gibson wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:

Pal,
If ye lost Pienaar for any length of time now, Ulsters season would be all but over. That's how key he is. I pray he is ok.

Gibbo, I can't tell if you are just stirring the pot or if you are for real. Pienaar is world class, don't get me wrong, but I think its a little OTT to right off an entire season over he absence of one player. You do Ulster a disservice by suggesting we are a one man team. Paul Marshall took us from our own 22 to the opposition 22 in five seconds, with more of our regulars playing, we would have likely capitalised on that instance.

I'm sure Payne, Bowe, Ferris, Williams, Muller, Best, Afoa would like to think they at least share some of the praise when we do well! thumbsup

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next