The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juan Smith set to announce retirement?

+7
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
doctor_grey
emack2
Biltong
kiakahaaotearoa
Taylorman
Morgannwg
11 posters

Go down

Juan Smith set to announce retirement? Empty Juan Smith set to announce retirement?

Post by Morgannwg Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:09 pm

According to the latest reports.

South Africa flanker Juan Smith has been forced to retire from the game due to an Achilles injury, according to reports.

The 31-year-old, who has been capped 69 times by South Africa, has been plagued by the injury since February 2011. He made a recent comeback appearance for the Cheetahs against the Stormers in a pre-season match, but subsequent scans on the injury have led him to quit the game. Smith is expected to make an official announcement on Tuesday.

The South Africa flanker reportedly told Die Volksblad: "Were it not for the fans and my family, then I probably would have made the decision to retire much earlier. It was the fans who gave me the courage to - after several disappointing operations - attempt to make a comeback to the rugby field this year.

"I appreciate all the support I received through the years from my family, Bok- and especially Free State supporters. There are possibilities but I haven't taken any decisions. I need to assess the physical and mental impact of my injury over the past few years. I'm first going to go for a week's vacation."

Bad luck Juan, I was looking forward to seeing you in a Bokke jersey once again.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Juan Smith set to announce retirement? Empty Re: Juan Smith set to announce retirement?

Post by Taylorman Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

Not good, was reading about the SA sxv sides on a SA blog only last night and it listed Smith on the bench for the Cheetahs warmup this weekend...

The injury, the age just looks too much for SA to take on Smith like thi even if he were to recover. Reminds of us trying to squeeze everything out of Michael Jones in his twihlight who also carried on into 1996 because fans wanted him there, warts and all.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Juan Smith set to announce retirement? Empty Re: Juan Smith set to announce retirement?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm

The greatest player never to have played in so many tests. Such a shame. What a talent. Got to feel for the guy. You want to see the best come up against your team and he was one of the best: make no mistake. He tried so hard yet luck never seemed to be on his side. He makes Richard Kahui look like the luckiest guy on earth in comparison.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:31 pm

In the middle of last year PJholybloke asked me who was my favourite Springbok player of all time.

His plan was to do a painting for me of whomever I chose.

My choice was Juan Smith for the following reasons. He played his entire career for the Cheetahs, his loyalty (something I prize above many other characteristics) has been an inspiration and role model not only for me, but for thousands of young kids.

He is one of the kindest, most humble yet very determined individuals you'll ever meet. As a professional he is the epitome of hard work, commitment and irrepresseble dedication to the sport.

For me our best player at the RWC 2007, his bulldozing runs will be seen no more, his commitment in defence and the influence he has had over team mates and his inspiration will be missed by those who ever shared a spot on the roster with him.

A great guy, and I am very sad to know I will never see him play top class rugby ever again.

I can't think of anyone who ever bested him and he was always the type of Springbok that showed you how to be tough, but never dirty.

If I had tocompare him to any player, he was the Michael Jones of South Africa, good line out jumper, defender, ball carrier and highly skilled wirh ball in hand.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 11 Feb 2013, 9:46 pm

+1000000

Real gems are so hard to find these days...hopefully he carries his knowledge, experience and gifts into the environment where SA's youth can model themselves on.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:04 pm

Smith, Burger, Russouw. Definitely my all time favourite Springbok back-row!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm

Achilles injuries are always difficult hard luck Juan sorry to hear it one of the BEST flankers of recent times .With George Smith one of the few that are truly in the McCaw Class I can think of no greater compliment.
One of the Greatest Bok players it has been my privilege to watch.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 12 Feb 2013, 2:22 am

Biltong wrote:In the middle of last year PJholybloke asked me who was my favourite Springbok player of all time.

His plan was to do a painting for me of whomever I chose.

My choice was Juan Smith for the following reasons. He played his entire career for the Cheetahs, his loyalty (something I prize above many other characteristics) has been an inspiration and role model not only for me, but for thousands of young kids.

He is one of the kindest, most humble yet very determined individuals you'll ever meet. As a professional he is the epitome of hard work, commitment and irrepresseble dedication to the sport.

For me our best player at the RWC 2007, his bulldozing runs will be seen no more, his commitment in defence and the influence he has had over team mates and his inspiration will be missed by those who ever shared a spot on the roster with him.

A great guy, and I am very sad to know I will never see him play top class rugby ever again.

I can't think of anyone who ever bested him and he was always the type of Springbok that showed you how to be tough, but never dirty.

If I had tocompare him to any player, he was the Michael Jones of South Africa, good line out jumper, defender, ball carrier and highly skilled wirh ball in hand.

Did PJ give you your painting? Wink

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 3:23 am

Shame.
Damn fine and committed player. Gave everything he had. Hard and physical, but also very skillful. The way he played was a credit to the sport.

To me, his attempts to recover and put himself in position to continue playing was inspirational. This is where true courage and character is displayed. Not on the pitch, but rather in the quiet of the training rooms.

Hoping for the best for him in whatever he decides to do.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:19 am

Yes taylorman, it is haning proudly in my office
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:42 am

Very sad - marvellous player, and even then it feels like we never quite got to see the best of him OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:32 am

Shame I agree billtong, the loyalty he showed to the Cheetahs was fantastic as I'm sure he could have gone to any club he wished. Achilles injuries are horrible, I had one myself and even though I'm far from a professional athlete they can linger on and on and you have to adapt your training to it. It must be really frustrating for him as this was his living and career. Wish the guy all the best! thumbsup
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:49 am

Such a shame. A Springbok great, and a fantastic player. Like Morgannwg said, he was an incumbent in oneof the best SA backrows ever. A brilliant player.

Good luck to him for the future. I can imagine him making an excellent forwards coach one day.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Feb 2013, 2:26 pm

Just saw this today - what an absolute rock he was.

Not many players still playing today get into the famous* 606v2 'Greatest' shortlist for their position:
https://www.606v2.com/t39143-greatest-round-2-choose-your-6

A bona fide ligind.

* in my head.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:13 pm

Absolute top draw player, the only blind-side that I feel has come anywhere close to my favorite England player of all time Richard Hill in the professional era. Sad news.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down