The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

+7
Hero
dyrewolfe
Crimey
theundisputedY2D2
talkingpoint
Dr Gregory House MD
Hulking_up
11 posters

Go down

Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games Empty Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

Post by Hulking_up Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:16 pm

Wrestling has been dropped from the 2020 Games by the International Olympic Committee to make way for a new sport.

The IOC's programme commission assessed each sport's performance at the London Games before making its decision.

Wrestling will now have to vie with seven sports hoping to be added back to the Olympic programme.

A decision on which sport will be added in 2020 will be made when the IOC meet in Buenos Aires in September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

Hope we get a Kurt Angle "someone hacked my twitter" rant.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games Empty Re: Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:29 pm

Dissapointing, I don't really follow Am Wrestling, but it's a staple of Physical competition, like running and jumping, would be sad to see it replaced with roller-skating.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games Empty Re: Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

Post by talkingpoint Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:41 pm

greco-roman wrestling goes back to the ancient games and is a part of the Olympic heritage. It's a shame to see it dropped, wonder what effect this will have on MMA? Alot of collegiate wrestlers transition to MMA, but if funding is impacted by this decision and the overall exposure of the sport decreases then we may see less wrestlers in the future?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

What's Kurt Angle gonna claim he's training for now?

Agree with the Doc, not much of an amateur wrestling follower but it seems a shame that it's gonna be kicked to the kerb for something like beachvolleybasketskatingball.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Especially as one of the others considered to be dropped was the pentathalon which is a totally ridiculous event.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:18 pm

Have to disagree there Crimey. I like the pentathlon, for much the same reason as the other multi-discipline events. I believe a certain Baron de Coubertin would be left spinning in his grave if it were dropped.

We could however definitely do without beach volleyball, basketball, dressage, water polo and plenty of other events.

Back on topic I'm annoyed they've decided to drop one of the original Olympic sports...but honestly not that surprised in this era of introducing all sorts of weird new events.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

Disagree about the dressage dyrewolfe, what's not to love about horses bustin' a move?

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:What's Kurt Angle gonna claim he's training for now?

Agree with the Doc, not much of an amateur wrestling follower but it seems a shame that it's gonna be kicked to the kerb for something like beachvolleybasketskatingball.

Angle is ranting about it...

"We're going to fight this. They can't just drop it. They're keeping badminton and that sport where you jump on a trampoline, and they're dropping wrestling. It's just crazy. I don't know what this world is coming to. Things are changing."

Yeah try that sport where you jump on a trampoline with a broken freaking neck!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:06 pm

the iron shiek has chimed in with and i quote..........."After 1000 years they take away the best sport in the world? This is the first time the dumb motherf**kers have no balls for they make the walking an Olympic sport."

"If I see anybody on the street that work from the IOC I swear to the Jesus I suplex them put them in camel clutch break their back make them humble."
"The #TEAMSHEIKIE respect the Olympic now they can all go f**k themselves and make the Curling Olympic sport because they all the biggest piece of no good s**t and I never watch the Olympic again. Also buy my t shirt [on my website] or go f**k yourself.”

"I wake up i get phone call from my agents @pagemagen he tell me no more wrestling in the Olympics it break my heart forever"

"F*CK THE IOC #teamsheikie"

"IOC I f*ck you up you disrespect the legend and my only sport Wrestling. They have no d*ck they make new sport of go f*ck yourself"
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:10 pm

TBF though you can just take the IOC and Olympics out of the Iron Shieks rants and replace them with Tesco and Findus or North Korea and Nuclear program and its his usual rant of the day.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:45 pm

impact wrestling have also stated and i quote.

"On Tuesday the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced “25 Core Sports” for the 2020 Olympic Games dropping one of the original Olympic sports: wrestling. Wrestling will now have to fight to remain a part of the 2020 games. TNA IMPACT WRESTLING is home to 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle and is dedicated to change this decision.

The IOC stated reasoning for the decision, according to the report, was an analysis of "more than three dozen criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity.” The IOC has decided to keep recreational sports such as badminton, handball and table tennis in the “25 Core Sports” category and to delete one of the oldest Olympic sport that premiered in the first modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

Kurt Angle is considered the best wrestler of all time to be in both amateur and professional wrestling and is gearing up to fight this decision and organize a battalion of like minds to save this Olympic sport.

“Wrestling is one of the most competitive sports in the world today,” stated TNA Superstar and 1996 Gold Medalist Kurt Angle. “Winning the gold for my country in one of the original Olympic sports was one of the greatest moments in my life.

“The wrestling community is in a state of shock with this decision– we can not sit back and allow this to happen. I will do whatever it takes and work with my company TNA WRESTLING and the competitive wrestling community to determine what we need to do to reverse this decision.”

“The news from the IOC is very disheartening to all of us at TNA as well as the tens of millions around the world who either participate in amateur wrestling or enjoy watching it in its entertainment form,” stated TNA President Dixie Carter. “We need to join together right now. We encourage our own IMPACT WRESTLING community, WWE and wrestling organizations worldwide as well as competitive amateur coaches and athletes to have a unified voice to make sure wrestling will be an Olympic sport in 2020.”

TNA encourages fans to take to social media to let your voices be heard. Speak out using #SaveOlympicWrestling and @Olympics.
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:09 pm

Never watch it, not fussed tbh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:14 pm

sjh5678 wrote:impact wrestling have also stated and i quote.

"On Tuesday the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced “25 Core Sports” for the 2020 Olympic Games dropping one of the original Olympic sports: wrestling. Wrestling will now have to fight to remain a part of the 2020 games. TNA IMPACT WRESTLING is home to 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle and is dedicated to change this decision.

The IOC stated reasoning for the decision, according to the report, was an analysis of "more than three dozen criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity.” The IOC has decided to keep recreational sports such as badminton, handball and table tennis in the “25 Core Sports” category and to delete one of the oldest Olympic sport that premiered in the first modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

Kurt Angle is considered the best wrestler of all time to be in both amateur and professional wrestling and is gearing up to fight this decision and organize a battalion of like minds to save this Olympic sport.

“Wrestling is one of the most competitive sports in the world today,” stated TNA Superstar and 1996 Gold Medalist Kurt Angle. “Winning the gold for my country in one of the original Olympic sports was one of the greatest moments in my life.

“The wrestling community is in a state of shock with this decision– we can not sit back and allow this to happen. I will do whatever it takes and work with my company TNA WRESTLING and the competitive wrestling community to determine what we need to do to reverse this decision.”

“The news from the IOC is very disheartening to all of us at TNA as well as the tens of millions around the world who either participate in amateur wrestling or enjoy watching it in its entertainment form,” stated TNA President Dixie Carter. “We need to join together right now. We encourage our own IMPACT WRESTLING community, WWE and wrestling organizations worldwide as well as competitive amateur coaches and athletes to have a unified voice to make sure wrestling will be an Olympic sport in 2020.”

TNA encourages fans to take to social media to let your voices be heard. Speak out using #SaveOlympicWrestling and @Olympics.

good on TNA, OK I'm expecting the UFC to release a similar statement.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:31 pm

Sounds like it still has a chance, but is competing with HUGE sports like wakeboarding and softball for a spot

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 14 Feb 2013, 5:58 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:Sounds like it still has a chance, but is competing with HUGE sports like wakeboarding and softball for a spot

Thats what worries me. The IOC has jumped on the bandwagon of trying to appeal more to youngsters, by bringing in more recreational and "urban" type sports. Their new motto should be, "Nevermind tradition - we're after ticket sales and TV ratings!" Rolling Eyes

Respect to TNA and Angle for their stance on this. OK
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:07 pm

wwe superstars have also spoken out with and i quote

Cody Rhodes "I'm very disappointed with the fact that they’re even considering it. This is freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling. This has a rich tradition in the Olympics. I don’t even want to disparage some of the sports that they’re keeping, you just don’t do away with wrestling."

Dolph Ziggler: “It’s hitting close to home more than usual. I know it’s not 100 percent yet but there are so many Olympic events, it’s unfortunate they’ve chosen a legitimate sport and one of the original sports ever. It’s mind-blowing that it’s even on the chopping block."

Jack Swagger:
"Wrestling teaches you so much about life and that’s what makes it the best sport. It teaches you discipline and dedication and how to work hard and how to sacrifice for your goals. Those are things you can apply to any area of your life, whether it’s your education or your career. Honestly, it turned me into a man."
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 15 Feb 2013, 8:50 am

Why would anyone want to get rid of beach volleyball!? Mens maybe, but womens needs to be kept at all cost!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down