The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are the heels?

+3
Crimey
talkingpoint
Hero
7 posters

Go down

Where are the heels? Empty Where are the heels?

Post by Hero Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm

In the past couple of months in WWE we’ve witnessed Albertooooooooooo Delllllllll Riiiiiiiioooooo, the Miz and Tensai undergo face turns, Daniel Bryan & Kane weren’t too long before either and now rumours are that Ziggler is due imminently and possibly Punk shortly after Mania (or possibly earlier depending on if they go with Lesnar v Punk at Mania).

Firstly that leaves a big gap for heels currently, presumably Orton is about to go to the dark side but it still leaves a dearth of quality at the top end of the bad guys with it revolving around Big Show, Mark Henry & a part-time Lesnar, all three of whom fit a similar mold of the hard as nails monster heel so it limits angles.
There’s a number of guys bubbling just under this group of Cesaro, Swagger, Rhodes, Sandow & Barrett but all would need some decent momentum to get them into the top bracket at the moment (especially Rhodes who can’t buy a win at present).
It then leaves the Shield, they’ve received an immense push upon their step up to the main roster but have been used in limited amounts in the ring with just two actual matches so far, both of which are three on three affairs and this would obviously have to move onto singles pushes to showcase their individual strengths.

Would it mean that there would another switcheroo instead? Of the current faces who’s become stale and has the ability to portray a believable heel? Could spot monkey Kofi be fed up of a few years of never having the button pushed on him by backstage be able to get the fans vilifying him for turning his back on them? I can’t see it myself.
Would they finally bow to the IWC and turn Cena despite the income he generates as the company figurehead, do they the confidence in Punk to take that slot? Again I don’t think they do.
Ryback’s lost a number of PPVs and the momentum behind him seems to have faltered slightly, certainly there seems to be a growing backlash amongst fans, but a heel turn basically just adds him to the monster heel set, the same going if Sheamus reverted back again.
Daniel Bryan may be the one to turn upon his partner Kane but then that turns him into the new Big Show or Bubba Dudley, blink and you forget which side he’s fighting for.

And does in this modern age with smarky fans booing the face and cheering the heel it actually require for there to be a clear good and evil divide in character with the removal of shades of gray?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Where are the heels? Empty Re: Where are the heels?

Post by talkingpoint Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:07 pm

the problem I have with WWE heels is that they either fall into two categories - monster heels or cowards. They need a Aries & Roode type of heel, egotistic but with enough talent to back it up but being thoroughly obnoxious enough to make you cheer for the face. Cody Rhodes played the heel excellently when he was IC champ and had his phantom of the opera gimmick. You're right the Shield need to be broken up on occassion and allowed to showcase individual talent. And I'd turn Daniel Bryan serious again and have him play the Austin Aries role.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:07 pm

I think the main event is progressing quite nicely at the moment and isn't in need of anybody else being shunted back into the picture as a heel. I think after Wrestlemania will be very interested as a lot of feuds are coming to an end, Bryan and Kane will go their separate ways in all likelihood and The Rock will probably disappear for a long time.

I think Randy Orton will turn soon and take his place as a main event heel, I don't think there is any reason to turn Punk any time soon and I would be very surprised if he did. Then I think you've got Barrett and Cesaro as the next two in line, and they can do a fine job of feuds and I think they could hold their own with the likes of Sheamus, Ryback, Orton.

I wouldn't be too hasty in turning people heel, while I agree there a lot of similar heel characters in Big Show, Henry and Lesnar at the moment, the mid card is filled with really good heel characters just waiting for after 'Mania season when the part-timers leave to jump up a level.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:11 pm

I think and hope Swagger is someone who the WWE are going to push as a decent mid card at least heel.

His few matches he has had since being back has made him appear very dominant and no nonsense, he has a decent look as well which suits a heel, the longish hair and beard.

The promo Monday on Raw as well was pretty near the knuckle, with a decent mouthpiece behind him I think he could have a decent run as one of the companies top heels.

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:15 pm

I really don't like Swagger's new look, I think his hair is awful and makes him look like a 90s school child and the beard thing is ridiculous, they tried it with Morrison a couple of years ago and Miz a few months ago. WWE need to realise that there's more to making a character a little more rough around the edges than just giving them a beard.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

Are the considering turning Punk again? While it's not perfect I can actually see why they could do this and justify it, Punk's always been a Heyman guy since he went to the WWE so it makes sense that Punk has a weakness towards Heyman and his attitudes, so it reasonable to think that Heyman got to Punk and maybe not brainwashed him but definitely influenced his decisions, that could also explain why Punk had no clue about The Shield or Brad Maddox, to Punk it may have all been a coincidence while Heyman is the puppet master, if and when Punk finds out it gives us a huge Punk/Lesnar match at WrestleMania

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:34 pm

Seeing as Brock's sticking around for another 2 years I'd rather see Heyman turn on him and side with Punk.

To be fair, Heyman alongside either of them works, and subsequently Lesnar and Punk can both strike out on their own and manage fine, I just feel that Punk / Heyman has more of an upside than Lesnar / Heyman at this moment in time.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:55 pm

I've got it turn Taker heel! Imagine - he's defending the Streak in a 'last time ever' match at WM30 against another face (or popular tweener); his opponent is getting the better of him and he's struggling to impose his will or dominate the match. Then just before his opponent is about to hit his finisher, Taker low blows him or gets out some brass knuckles and KO's him while the ref is distracted/down. Taker gets the pin and wins dirty. His opponent comes round and is shocked and angry complaining to the ref, Taker is leaning against the ropes with relief on his face that he's saved his streak and a wry smile. The following night on Raw his opponent comes out and declares that he would have taken the streak and won the most significant match of his career, doing something no-one else has ever done had it not been for Taker cheating. He says he's always respected Taker and never expected it from him. He's shocked and disappointed. Taker comes out and explains that the most important thing for him now is keeping the streak any way possible. He doesn't care if he had to cheat because at the end of the day his record still stands 21-0 and that's the way it will stay. This leads to a rematch at WM31 where the opponent finally manages to take the Streak!!!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 13 Feb 2013, 6:18 pm

The bonus of Heyman aligned with Lesnar is that Heyman moves on the story for Lesnar when WWE dont want to waste Brock's appearances. I dont think either need to be turned for that feud to work. Both get cheers anyway, Lesnar can definitely feud without the same heel heat because he can just be the monster who wants to fight.

I'm with Y2D2 though, I think Lesnar is the one to have face if it happens. Heyman/Punk have more back n forth, Punk would be weakened by turning back n forth so quick, Punk is needed as a top level heel for the full time roster and I also think Lesnar can be the face without being a face, and he can go back to being the heel without a worry cos his attitude will be pretty much the same.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down