The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors

+34
thebluesmancometh
Imperialbigdave
123skelm
LeinsterFan4life
Taffineastbourne
Cardiff Dave
bsando
TJ1
Metal Tiger
LondonTiger
Steffan
Manky-Flanker
Casartelli
MacKnocked-on
wales606
GLove39
pioden gorllewin
glamorganalun
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
reallybored
Luckless Pedestrian
George Carlin
alive555
EWT Spoons
funnyExiledScot
EST
youngguns6
Dorothy_Mantooth
IanBru
Pat_Mustard
UlstermaninGlasgow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors Empty N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:22 pm

GlasgowWarriors:

Murchie McGuigan Bennett Dunbar van der Merwe Weir Pyrgos; Reid MacArthur Welsh Swinson Ryder Eddie Barclay Wilson (c)

Subs: Price Fainga'anuku Low Gray Strauss Matawalu Wight Thomson

And the Messiah gets a start at last!

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors Empty Re: N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

Surprised to see Richie back... Unless that's Junior?

I think all the rumours about Weir going to Edinburgh have been wrong... Only man from Glasgow I see ending up there is Wight!

And DTH is back!!! Glasgow really really really need to get him signed up for next year....
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:36 pm

Dunbar at 12 instead of 13 looks good to me

10 Weir
12 Dunbar
13 Bennett

is a combination I've been wanting to see for a while now

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:38 pm

Ah yes, Bennett returns to save the faithful, just in time for Easter.

Now where's that palm leaf emoticon when you need it?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:40 pm

That's Ash Wed for you, Bru!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Surprised to see Richie back... Unless that's Junior?

I think all the rumours about Weir going to Edinburgh have been wrong... Only man from Glasgow I see ending up there is Wight!

And DTH is back!!! Glasgow really really really need to get him signed up for next year....

Hope you're right, UiG, and I suspect you are - Wight to Embra in return for Hunter, that gives Jackson & Weir, with Hunter and Russell

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:13 pm

Bennett was been outstanding for the Under 20s (certainly against Italy) and deserves his chance.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

Price on the bench then.. It will be interesting to see how he goes after many people have called for us to sign him.

How confident are you Glasgow?
From a dragons view it's a must win. We've built abit of confidence with three wins although we haven't been completely convincing. I fancy us to edge it but I can see it being very tight.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

The Glasgow pack is close to full strength, most of the guys have been regulars this season. Back a bit lighter but DTH is a proven finisher and sure we have the Messiah, who just happens to be in a good bit of form!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:23 pm

It'll be a tricky fixture, I suspect, and close either way. League places are often not well-reflected in the outcome of Warriors vs Dragons battles! Hopefully Glasgow's strength in depth this year is much improved on previous

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:23 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:Dunbar at 12 instead of 13 looks good to me

10 Weir
12 Dunbar
13 Bennett

is a combination I've been wanting to see for a while now

Same here Pat. I am very glad to see Dunbar back at 12, he had much more of an impact there last season than he has showed at 13 this year. Hopefully Weir won't be to rusty and Bennett will get a chance to display the same sort of form that he showed against the Italians.

Up front the pack looks strong. It is interesting to see that Gray jnr is favoured over Nick campbell on the bench. Given the game time I think Campbell could offer a lot, indeed I thought he played quite well last weekend.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

Very exciting news re: Mark Bennett. Will need to check whether this is on Alba.

Slightly surprised that Matawalu isn't being given another start, but Pyrgos probably needs a game having sat on the Scotland bench for a couple of weeks. Need to keep him match sharp, plus Matawalu will be an utter nightmare for the Dragons coming off the bench.

Also delighted to see DTH back. He'll be key for Glasgow in the push for the play-offs.

Edinburgh take note - that's 14 out of 15 players qualified to play for Scotland starting this game, with several promising young Scots in the squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

Apparently it's on Alba

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 4:45 pm

Why is Strauss on da bench ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm

I suspect it's just a case of rotation, plus Strauss and Matawalu coming off the bench gives you some handy impact should you need to step things up a notch.

Oh to have those options.

Edinburgh had Hamish Watson as impact sub last weekend.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Feb 2013, 5:42 pm

alive555 wrote:Why is Strauss on da bench ?
The bench needs a good chibbing and someone to show it who is boss - Strauss is yer man OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:48 am

I wouldn't want to deny FES exposure to this piece on the Messiah by Smithers Ferrie in the Herald today:

Bennett primed for centre stage with Glasgow Warriors
Thursday 14 February 2013

Long before Stuart Hogg emerged as a player with the skills and pace to transform the attacking capability of Glasgow Warriors and Scotland, the name of another youngster was being bandied about with some excitement.

So much so that by the time Glasgow got around to making Mark Bennett an offer two years ago after giving him a taste of what was then Magners League rugby, one of the biggest clubs in Europe had already made him one that he could not refuse.

Things may not have gone perfectly for the young Ayrshireman at Clermont Auvergne, ruptured knee ligaments soon after he joined them leading to a six-month lay off. He returned to action to help their under-23 side win their league, scoring a try in the final, but returned to Glasgow on loan earlier this season and has had to be patient again.

What feels like an overdue return to Glasgow colours will end tomorrow evening, however, after he was named in their starting line-up for the potentially crucial visit to Newport-Gwent Dragons on the back of a man-of-the-match performance for Scotland's under-20 side in last Friday's win over Italy.

"He's worth the wait," Gregor Townsend, Warriors' head coach, claimed yesterday. "Physically, he is back to the level, or past the level, that he was before his injury because he did take a while to recover – an ACL is the worst injury you can have and it has taken him a while to get back to top pace. I've seen him at training and with Stirling in the British & Irish Cup, when I saw his game against Bedford and he was probably the best player on the field. He has carried that on to the 20s and has earned his opportunity."

Harking back to his own experience of spending five years in France, Townsend believes that a more rounded player and individual will be on view than represented Glasgow two years ago.

"He has impressed me with the way he set about working to improve from when I was first involved with him a couple of years ago. He had undoubted abilities, acceleration, an eye for a gap, strong in the contact. What I think he has added to his game over the last season with Clermont is a linking ability and his catching and passing.

"His experience at 18 years old to go out there . . . as a life experience he would have had to grow up quite quickly as well as learning a new language, adapting to new people and coaching systems. He will be a much more mature person."

Whether or not that would have happened anyway, given Bennett's precocious talent, is certainly worthy of debate. After all, without ever leaving the Warriors, former Scotland under-20s team-mate Hogg, who was relatively unknown when Bennett faced Leinster for Glasgow in May 2011, has, meantime, made such progress that he is now considered Scotland's strongest contender for a place on this season's British & Irish Lions tour.

Admittedly, Bennett, who turned 20 last week, benefited from training with some of Europe's finest players, but while he was away Hogg was playing against others, pitched into the Pro12 as he was at the start of last season, then the national side midway through it.

Either way, the prospect of both performing for many years to come in a Scotland back line that has at last begun to look as if it carries real menace, is mouthwatering.

While Bennett shares the view that he has gained in some ways from his time in France, he is now effectively a free agent who acknowledges that he has still to prove that it benefited his rugby. "It was the first time that I had been away from home, so it has definitely helped me as a person and if it has helped my rugby then that will be an added bonus," he said.

"It was a different style playing on the hard pitch all the time, a bit more free-flowing. It brought on the skills and I did a lot of skill work and with the guys who were round about it was hard not to learn from them."

Having returned to Scotland to get additional game time, it has not been ideal that, having been back in Scotland for three months, he is only making his return to Pro12 action now. He is philosophical.

"It has been frustrating but at the same time the team has been playing well so it has not really been as frustrating as it would have been if we were not going so well. I have been playing most weeks with Stirling and then the last couple of weeks I have been playing with the under-20s so I have been getting some game time."

His inclusion in Glasgow's starting XV is one of six changes made to the side that registered a bonus point win over Zebre in Italy last weekend with Henry Pyrgos, Dunc Weir and Pat McArthur all returning from international duty, while James Eddie and Canadian international winger DTH van der Merwe are also recalled.

Townsend noted that Bennett will be the 50th player to represent Glasgow this season, a demonstration of how the club's resources have been transformed, bringing a depth of squad that, in turn, means they must be expected to sustain their challenge to host a Pro12 play-off match for the first time.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:53 am

Good article, and nice to finally see someone legitimately questioning whether the move to Clermont was the right thing to do, in particular drawing comparison to how Stuart Hogg has developed.

Where have I heard that before? Headscratch

I'm not sure there's anything particularly philosophical about that last quote though.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:51 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Good article, and nice to finally see someone legitimately questioning whether the move to Clermont was the right thing to do, in particular drawing comparison to how Stuart Hogg has developed.

Where have I heard that before? Headscratch
FES + FERRIE + Hug = heart kiss
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:24 am

It is VD after all, GC!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

Any chance you could edit the title of the thread, Asbo? I'm all for welcoming visitors, but we don't stand much of a chance if we only field one player! Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:32 am

Oh crikey, Lucky, hadn't noticed that! Good spot and I'll invert the names while I'm at it, as it is at Rodney Parade OK

PS hope you're keeping well

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:36 am

I fancy Glasgow to win this, despite our mini revival. There's a reason why they're second despite them missing players at various times of the season. That said, it could be a good game given our recent confidence and I would expect us to be very competitive.

I'll pass proper judgement when Darren names his team later.

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:37 am

Girlfriend will be attending her colleagues birthday alone on Friday, no way I'm missing the chance to see this midfield in action. Whenever I've seen clips of Bennett (Ayr, U18s, Clermont U23s, U20s) I've been impressed and hope he does enough to justify his place for the rest of the season. Plus I much prefer Dunbar at 12, 8/10 times he'll get over the gainline and help generate momentum.

He may not have made the impact that Hogg has but long-term I think his decision to go to Clermont will serve Bennett well.

Is Welsh considered a TH now? Much prefer he was left at LH and provided Grant with genuine competition for the club and country jersey.

Looking forward to seeing Gray Jnr getting some game-time, looks like he'll be a cracking player.

What's the deal with Horne? Still injured?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:44 am

I'm good thanks, As - I hope I'll still feel that way after tomorrow's match!

I imagine we'll be playing Jon Evans and Steffan Jones, so it'll be two exciting young half-back pairings facing each other tomorrow, although a lot of it will come down to which pair gets front-foot ball. How depleted are the Warriors up front?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm

Dragons team to face Glasgow Warriors
Dan Evans, Will Harries, Pat Leach, Jack Dixon, Tom Prydie, Steffan Jones, Jonathan Evans, Ieuan Jones, Nic Cudd, Lewis Evans (c), Adam Jones, Ian Nimmo, Nathan Buck, Hugh Gustafson, Owen Evans.

Replacements;
Sam Parry, Aaron Coundley, Nathan Williams, Josh Tyler, Jevon Groves, Wayne Evans, Adam Hughes, Hallam Amos

Great to have Adam Hughes available from the bench.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:24 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:It is VD after all, GC!
Hopefully after this game FES and Bennett can have their long overdue Make-Up Sex.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm

Decent team really. Obviously our front row can be a mixed bag. It's not a bad bit of backs cover either, but I don't get why we are currently going with two looseheads on the bench.

Glad this one is on tv, as I'm unable to make RP again this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:29 pm

How about the double-header, Rev, are you around for that?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:38 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm good thanks, As - I hope I'll still feel that way after tomorrow's match!

I imagine we'll be playing Jon Evans and Steffan Jones, so it'll be two exciting young half-back pairings facing each other tomorrow, although a lot of it will come down to which pair gets front-foot ball. How depleted are the Warriors up front?
Lucky - you've been quiet here recently - hope all is well.

In answer to your question, the Glasgow pack isn't much depleted at all.

Front row - Glasgow's best young loosehead prospect, although needs to improve his scrum technique (Reid), the best hooker in Scotland IMHO (MacArthur) and Glasgow's second best loosehead appearing on the tight side (Welsh). Glasgow's first choice tighthead (Moray Low) is on the bench if Welsh starts to struggle, which he might just coming back from injury.

Second row - Swinson and Ryder are arguably the form choices in their positions (notwithstanding Big Al)

Back row - something of a journeyman in Eddie at blind but he put in a very good showing in the Scotland A side that beat the Saxons last week, Barclay at 7 is one of the best in the NH but is only recently returned from injury, Wilson won Man of the Match and captained Scotland A in their Saxons win.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:40 pm

I've heard great things about MacArthur.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm

He's exceptionally accomplished for such a young player - strong as an ox and a very accurate line-out thrower.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the big beardie beastie Josh Strauss (our first choice 8, who can also play 6) lurks on the bench with Jonny "yes, yes, my brother is Ritchie" Gray there at lock cover. Gray was captain of the Scotland U20s who just narrowly lost out to their English counterparts last week.

Am very interested in Jon Evans and Steffan Jones - what can you tell us about them?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:06 pm

Jon Evans is lively. Looks to snipe and is fairly zippy. Steff is fairly good. There's sometimes a worry with all our flyhalves that they can be charged down. Steff does have question marks over his defence, but seems to have for better at this in recent weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:13 pm

I thought Scotland U20s beat England the other week? Or am I thinking of the A side?

Steffan's been in and out of the side this season (more out than in until recently). His goalkicking is usually excellent - it won the game for us against the Ospreys in the Low Value cup not long ago - but he was all over the shop against Treviso last Friday. But he scored our first try in that game and he's scored a few others (one against the Blues, I think). As you can see, he's quite hit and miss, but he's a talent and he needs a run of games I think.

Jon Evans has been in superb form this season and if he played for any of the other regions he'd be in the Wales Six Nations squad. He always seems to take the right option and he does everything well. He's signed up for another few seaons, which is great.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:26 pm

A side, Lucky OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

Yeah Jonny Evans and Steffan Jones are worth me getting off my backside n getting over Dave.
Jonny should be in the Welsh squad like Luckless said. Steffan has a lot of talent but he's behind a poor front five. Both have a lot of potential and I Jones at 8 is a great prospect.

Sadly we always have you g players coming through but no quality around them.

Looking forward to the game!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:39 pm

[quote="funnyExiledScot"]Very exciting news re: Mark Bennett. Will need to check whether this is on Alba.

Fes the game is on BBC2 Wales up about ch 961 or so. You wont hear "Glaschu furra linee !" but you do get to hear the Welsh commentators crying in despair.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:46 pm

In fairness GC, Ryan Wilson is our first choice 8 now, especially as he's in such good form!

It's the back line that has me excited for this game. Pyrgos is playing well, Duncan has to show her can control an attacking line. Dunbar and the Messiah is very exciting and DTH will score if you give him any room... And then we have McGuigan..... Doh
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 14 Feb 2013, 5:21 pm

McGuigan took his chances last week UiG !

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:McGuigan took his chances last week UiG !
Agreed. I make fun of Barry and his permatan as much as the next exile but he certainly grabbed a brace last week.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

On the back of a fair few feic-ups as well tho, lads - knock-on from kick-off, etc. Think he's more of an Embra type player - we should ship him over and have ... Farndale ... in return perhaps?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:45 pm

Lets swap him with Tonks who looks a good player Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Lets swap him with Tonks who looks a good player Whistle
C21st, grand idea, that sounds like a fair trade OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

You can have Francis. Done.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:33 pm

We are also willing to swap Peter Murchie for a giant white chocolate Toblerone.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

I'm quite a fan of white chocolate.

I'd swap Mike Penn for a stale box of Black Magic.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

Change to the squad, Low is out and Kalman is on the bench. Kalman's wife is expecting a baby anytime soon, so an EDP prop has traveled down in case Ed gets the call and has to leave. I assume they mean gets the call before the game, as opposed to leaving 5 minutes into it!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

That's bad news about Low - hope nothing too serious. We'll need him next Sunday with Euan Murray busy in church.

Big opportunity for Welsh here - the fact he covers both sides (in theory, although I prefer him on the loosehead side) gives him a great chance of making the Scotland bench next Sunday.

Euan Murray out and Murray Low injured gives us problems.

Cross and Grant to start, with Welsh and Dickinson on the bench? Doesn't fill me with much confidence.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 15 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

Low has a bug, possibly the same thing Seymour had recently. Don't see it keeping him out of the Ireland game.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm

Starting to enjoy Dragons games again, not because we won a few but we actually have some players worth watching.. For the first half of the season it was the faletau show.

Looking forward to a tough game.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next