The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's a worry isn't it?

+13
superflyweight
Boxtthis
jimdig
Imperial Ghosty
Rowley
TopHat24/7
Strongback
sweet_pea
Seanusarrilius
bhb001
seanmichaels
TRUSSMAN66
mobilemaster8
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

It's a worry isn't it? - Page 2 Empty It's a worry isn't it?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just been reading about Oscar Pistorius and saw this headline on the BBC.

"Horsemeat scandal: Bute found in eight horse carcasses"

"These Canadian's are a perverted bunch aren't they", I shuddered, then I read the rest of the article...Lucien's reputation isn't in danger.

Anyway, carry on.........

Back to top Go down

It's a worry isn't it? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's a worry isn't it?

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Lol and there's me trying to back you........

My point is not that the UK isn't struggling, it is, but you can't let nationalistic pride gloss over the fact that Ireland's economy is in poor health too.

You say 'at least you don't live in England', well if you job were that good you'd be just as well off here (PPP wages/living standards are equal).

I also have a good job, pay a marginal tax rate of 42% and my London flat is worth 15% more than what I paid for it (as is the other flat I own) and last year I holidayed in Iceland and Costa Rica. So I'm also fortunate relative to the average but wouldn't say I'd be better/worse off in Ireland.

If you live in London your money doesn't go far. That's no revelation. PPP???

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 am

Again, using this 'anyone with a good job' ridiculous caveat. My mate in the City got an £800k bonus a year ago and is expecting half that this year. He has no intention of 'fleeing' this country. And? What's the relevance?

The articles I posted show young people with bachelors or 'advanced' degrees are those leaving Ireland in abundance - this is brain drain as these are the people needed to drive the economy forward once it's stabilised.

I'm middle class, we whinge alot but it's fine. In London/South-east at least. I'm sure if you chose to Ireland would exhibit regional differences also.

Yes the 'outlook' has been upgraded to 'stable' but this is only the 'outlook' not the rating itself which is still much worse. And you can blame Europe all you want for your problems, you were as much a cause as a symptom.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 am

Strongback wrote:

My point is not that the UK isn't struggling, it is, but you can't let nationalistic pride gloss over the fact that Ireland's economy is in poor health too.

You say 'at least you don't live in England', well if you job were that good you'd be just as well off here (PPP wages/living standards are equal).

I also have a good job, pay a marginal tax rate of 42% and my London flat is worth 15% more than what I paid for it (as is the other flat I own) and last year I holidayed in Iceland and Costa Rica. So I'm also fortunate relative to the average but wouldn't say I'd be better/worse off in Ireland.

PPP = Purchasing Power Parity.

Day to day living costs in Dublin are actually vastly in excess of London, however higher rent and travel costs balance them out. Hence PPP equality.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:25 am

superflyweight wrote:To quote Alan Partridge:

"I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives – in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying “yes, there’s more to Ireland than this”. A good slogan for the tourist board – “Dere’s more to Oireland dan dis.”

This is the same Steve Coogan Steve who attacked Top Gear for its 'offensive stereotyping' of Mexicans. Total pratt.

He also went out with Courtney Love. They were well met although I never wanted to stab Coogan through the heart.

Anyway most Irish people wouldn't find that comment you posted funny.

Are you from Scotland?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Again, using this 'anyone with a good job' ridiculous caveat. My mate in the City got an £800k bonus a year ago and is expecting half that this year. He has no intention of 'fleeing' this country. And? What's the relevance?

The articles I posted show young people with bachelors or 'advanced' degrees are those leaving Ireland in abundance - this is brain drain as these are the people needed to drive the economy forward once it's stabilised.

I'm middle class, we whinge alot but it's fine. In London/South-east at least. I'm sure if you chose to Ireland would exhibit regional differences also.

Yes the 'outlook' has been upgraded to 'stable' but this is only the 'outlook' not the rating itself which is still much worse. And you can blame Europe all you want for your problems, you were as much a cause as a symptom.

Yeah Ireland caused the world recession. We are a small floating economy. British banks lent €40 billion into Ireland, they couldn't get enough. You seem to miss the point that British banks have been on a sticky wicket for 5 years.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

The English are arrogant (thanks Jim Telfer), apart from those of us born north of the Watford Gap who are salt of the earth. The Irish have a good line in lucky heather and enjoy a bit of craic (or was it crack). Europeans are mainly miserable apart from the Germans who are planning to invade the rest of us again with their economic panzer tanks. But don't worry, Truss and his merry bunch of soldiers will save us all from speaking German. Again.

Now that is sorted, can we end the discussion as it is getting rather dull?

Dave made a legitimate article about bestiality and no-one is taking it seriously.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am

Strongback wrote:

This is the same Steve Coogan Steve who attacked Top Gear for its 'offensive stereotyping' of Mexicans. Total pratt.

He said this as Alan Partridge he was in character. Would be reasonably confident these no more mirror his own views of the Irish any more than Russell Crowe is a neo nazi just because he played on in Romper Stomper.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Day to day living costs in Dublin are actually vastly in excess of London, however higher rent and travel costs balance them out. Hence PPP equality.

Maybe out in Hounslow or some god forsaken place but living costs in Central London are much more expensive than in Dublin. .I know because I am in London 6 or 7 times a year.

How much does it cost to go on that big wheel? Wink

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Again, using this 'anyone with a good job' ridiculous caveat. My mate in the City got an £800k bonus a year ago and is expecting half that this year. He has no intention of 'fleeing' this country. And? What's the relevance?

Yeah Ireland caused the world recession. We are a small floating economy. British banks lent €40 billion into Ireland, they couldn't get enough. You seem to miss the point that British banks have been on a sticky wicket for 5 years.

No, you seem to be the one in denial, not me.

EDIT: I was referring to Ireland's problems, not the world's, obviously. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am

Strongback wrote:
I know because I am in London 6 or 7 times a year.

We know. Some of us remember that terrifically entertaining thread you started about rude ticket officers at Kings X. That was a zinger.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am

Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Maybe out in Hounslow or some god forsaken place but living costs in Central London are much more expensive than in Dublin. .I know because I am in London 6 or 7 times a year.

Same can be said of Dublin. When I visited family there, downtown pubs/bars charge E5-6 a pint. Compared to £4-4.50 in London. Therefore Dublin more expensive. I can dig out the website I was on last night if you really can't overcome your delusion.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am

Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

He said this as Alan Partridge he was in character. Would be reasonably confident these no more mirror his own views of the Irish any more than Russell Crowe is a neo nazi just because he played on in Romper Stomper.

As comedy it's fairly base. Jingoistic jokes played in character are ok?

He probably made a handicap joke directly afterwards.

Coogan strikes me as a thoroughly unpleasant individual.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Strongback wrote:
I know because I am in London 6 or 7 times a year.

We know. Some of us remember that terrifically entertaining thread you started about rude ticket officers at Kings X. That was a zinger.

It was just my first direct experience of the zero tolerance attitude that I had read is so prevalent in England.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 am

Suspect he is satarising little Englander, Daily Mail reader views of the world. Obviously if one removes context or the ability to work these things out his words can be interpreted as offensive but the same is true of nearly 99% of anything said by anyone who has ever attempted to stand on a stage and amuse people.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 am

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Ireland&city1=London&city2=Dublin

Consumer prices 3.09% higher in Dublin, restaurants 11.76% higher, groceries 16.26% higher. If it weren't for the cost of renting in London (a sign of the strength of our real estate market over yours where it's basically free it's so shot) then it'd be a lot more costly to live in Dublin than London.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 am

Have to admit this is a thoroughly pointless debate to be having. Sorry mods et al for taking up a thread with such drivel.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:48 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Same can be said of Dublin. When I visited family there, downtown pubs/bars charge E5-6 a pint. Compared to £4-4.50 in London. Therefore Dublin more expensive. I can dig out the website I was on last night if you really can't overcome your delusion.

The only person who pays €6 for a pint in city centre Dublin is a tourist. Compare restaurant prices or cinema ticket prices, entertainment etc. Throw in transport, accommodation and that wages in my profession are at least 20% less in London than in Dublin and I know where my money goes further.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Ireland&city1=London&city2=Dublin

Consumer prices 3.09% higher in Dublin, restaurants 11.76% higher, groceries 16.26% higher. If it weren't for the cost of renting in London (a sign of the strength of our real estate market over yours where it's basically free it's so shot) then it'd be a lot more costly to live in Dublin than London.

That's why when they published the most expensive cities in the world London came 18th and Dublin came 72nd.

http://www.citymayors.com/features/cost_survey.html

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:59 am

Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

And you strike me as being increasingly humourless and obtuse. The whole point of Alan Partridge is that you don't laugh with him, you laugh at him.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Rowley wrote:Suspect he is satarising little Englander, Daily Mail reader views of the world. Obviously if one removes context or the ability to work these things out his words can be interpreted as offensive but the same is true of nearly 99% of anything said by anyone who has ever attempted to stand on a stage and amuse people.

Who are Partridge's fan-base?

Alf Garnett was apparently only a character but people laughed at the racism.

How many of the viewers make the distinction. Partridge appeals to Daily Mail readers too.

I'm not trying moralise but I didn't see how the Partridge comment benefited this discussion.

Ireland had a 15 year boom that some were envious of this and those same people were happy to see Ireland struggle. When they put the boot in they seem to think Ireland is now some 2nd world country. My point is that the standard of living in Ireland is no worse than Britain. I hope I have made that point.

This started because I spoke negatively about Price's opponents. A couple of individuals saw my view being driven by the fact I am Irish and I must surely automatically back Fury. I felt it was necessary to fight my corner.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

And you strike me as being increasingly humourless and obtuse. The whole point of Alan Partridge is that you don't laugh with him, you laugh at him.

I was going to ignore this but obtuse. Get over yourself. You knew what you were doing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Strongback wrote:

Get over yourself.

Irony 1 - 0 Strongback

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Strongback wrote:

How many of the viewers make the distinction. Partridge appeals to Daily Mail readers too.

Well in that case lets not bother creating any comedy characters on the off chance certain people are too thick to work out what was intended or who is being satarised. Bloody bad news for Al Murray.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 pm

You knew what you were doing..

... and it worked.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Wish I never mentioned Lucien Bute and his possible preference for deceased equine romance and simply done an article about Coronation Street's Keving Webster.

Surely that couldn't deteriorate into STRONGBACK having another of his hissy fits could it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Don't worry Dave I'm sure Haye will give an interview or buy a new car soon enough to send him off on a whole new tangent of spleen busting rage.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:18 pm

My hope is that Fury calls out Haye and STRONGY goes into a near literal meltdown

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Just like the good old days this is

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Just like the good old days this is

It's not like the good ol' days until you make a joke about a woman with enormous knockers, sean.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Ere love...can you tell me the quickest way to Oldham?

Buy me a drink!

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Well in that case lets not bother creating any comedy characters on the off chance certain people are too thick to work out what was intended or who is being satarised. Bloody bad news for Al Murray.

Irish people do not take kindly to English people making jokes about them, if there were more Irish posters on here they would be more of a kicking back at jingoistic Irish jokes. The British tend to stereotype countries in general. It has nothing to do with intelligence. Enoch Powell was a major influence on one of the most powerful British leaders of the 20th century. Nobody said Enoch lacked intelligence.

With England Coogan had plenty of source material to satarise about without bringing Ireland into it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:38 pm

superflyweight wrote:
You knew what you were doing..

... and it worked.

Fair play. It only worked because I naively had too much respect for your intelligence and integrity. Wink

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Rowley wrote:Don't worry Dave I'm sure Haye will give an interview or buy a new car soon enough to send him off on a whole new tangent of spleen busting rage.

Tell the truth Jeff, you love a good Haye rant.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Irish people do not take kindly to English people making jokes about them, if there were more Irish posters on here they would be more of a kicking back at jingoistic Irish jokes. The British tend to stereotype countries in general. It has nothing to do with intelligence. Enoch Powell was a major influence on one of the most powerful British leaders of the 20th century. Nobody said Enoch lacked intelligence.

With England Coogan had plenty of source material to satarise about without bringing Ireland into it.

Do we? All of us?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:Don't worry Dave I'm sure Haye will give an interview or buy a new car soon enough to send him off on a whole new tangent of spleen busting rage.

Too right, however you make my views on him appear positively moderate.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:47 pm

I was only joking about living in England. I'm quiet fond of old Blighty for many reasons. So was only having a stir. Europe is in the toilet, no point strongy pretending things are different in Ireland, if you pull a couple of billion every year out of the economy, without growth, then every year it is getting worse for the majority. Fact. I'm in a recession proof job, that gets pay increases every year, but housing tax, health insurance hikes and underfunded public services, makes it worse for me this year than last, and this year than next.
England, maybe it's better, but if I was going to leave it'd be for the weather.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm

jimdig wrote:I was only joking about living in England. I'm quiet fond of old Blighty for many reasons. So was only having a stir. Europe is in the toilet, no point strongy pretending things are different in Ireland, if you pull a couple of billion every year out of the economy, without growth, then every year it is getting worse for the majority. Fact. I'm in a recession proof job, that gets pay increases every year, but housing tax, health insurance hikes and underfunded public services, makes it worse for me this year than last, and this year than next.
England, maybe it's better, but if I was going to leave it'd be for the weather.

Here here! That’s why Oz is such an attractive option, to Brits and Irishmen alike! My friend went to Perth 12 months ago, in work connected to the oil&minerals sector which drives the Oz economy, and pretty much doubled her wages overnight as well as now having beautiful hot sunny weather most of the year round, a lovely beach to run or relax on and a warm sea to swim in. Strongy wants to talk about standard of living, THAT’S a high quality of life!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

The internet is anonymous. No point in playing it safe.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Not always a great tactic when surfing for porn.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm

jimdig wrote:I was only joking about living in England. I'm quiet fond of old Blighty for many reasons. So was only having a stir. Europe is in the toilet, no point strongy pretending things are different in Ireland, if you pull a couple of billion every year out of the economy, without growth, then every year it is getting worse for the majority. Fact. I'm in a recession proof job, that gets pay increases every year, but housing tax, health insurance hikes and underfunded public services, makes it worse for me this year than last, and this year than next.

I didn't say it was different in Ireland. I said the standard of living in Ireland is as good as in Britain if not better. That's a bit different than me pretending Ireland is not in the grip of a Europe wide economic downturn.

A lot of the people out of work are from the construction sector.

In terms of us paying addition service charges, lets face it these are charges that every major country in Europe has always paid including Britain. We had it too good for too long. It was a gravy train that couldn't go on.

Nobody is starving in Ireland. A family with 3 kids getting dole of €500-600 a week ensures that. There are kids starving in Greece and Spain is really in poverty.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:09 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Do you take precautions then?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Strongback wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Do you take precautions then?
I usually just lock the door.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Maybe we could all down and try to get on with eachother!! Cool

Or maybe do some smith machine squats or start a new Haye thread??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe we could all down and try to get on with eachother!! Cool

What's your opinion on the 2nd Amendment?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Here here! That’s why Oz is such an attractive option, to Brits and Irishmen alike! My friend went to Perth 12 months ago, in work connected to the oil&minerals sector which drives the Oz economy, and pretty much doubled her wages overnight as well as now having beautiful hot sunny weather most of the year round, a lovely beach to run or relax on and a warm sea to swim in. Strongy wants to talk about standard of living, THAT’S a high quality of life!!

Yeah but Australia is full of Australians, apart from that, I'd be there.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Where's Shenglong when you need him. He'd have loved this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe we could all down and try to get on with eachother!! Cool

What's your opinion on the 2nd Amendment?

Hey Strongy, If you want to quarter soldiers in your home during peacetime, that's up to you and don't let any constitution tell you otherwise.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Rowley wrote:Where's Shenglong when you need him. He'd have loved this.

Never heard tell of tell of him again. He did mention Union Cane would be the first shot if the proper IRA went back into active service.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:16 pm

9/11 changed American perception of the IRA forever!!.......A lot of us had a romantic Braveheart type view of them growing up....

Took some experience to realise that a terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:17 pm

superflyweight wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Just like the good old days this is

It's not like the good ol' days until you make a joke about a woman with enormous knockers, sean.

Which brings me back to the lovely BBC weather girl Carol. She does need a bit more 'lift' though. Are Scot's too tight to buy well fitted bra's?

nb - apologies to strongy for the lazy stereotyping there.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next