The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs

+12
Cumbrian
nathan
HammerofThunor
Dubbelyew L Overate
B91212
yappysnap
21st Century Schizoid Man
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
DHLS07
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs Empty Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:12 pm

First ever game on artificial surface in the prem at Sarries new home at Allianz Park. Here's hoping that this lot can spoil the party :

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE SARACENS

15 Luke Arscott
14 Jack Nowell
13 Ian Whitten
12 Jason Shoemark
11 Matt Jess
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Will Chudley
1 Ben Moon
2 Neil Clark
3 Hoani Tui
4 Dean Mumm
5 Damian Welch
6 Richard Baxter (capt)
7 James Scaysbrook
8 Kai Horstmann

16 Jack Yeandle
17 Carl Rimmer
18 Alex Brown
19 Tom Hayes
20 Aly Muldowney
21 Haydn Thomas
22 Ignacio Mieres
23 Phil Dollman

First ever starts for Damien Welch and Kai Horstmann, Whitts and Jessy return to the backline

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs Empty Re: Saracens vs Exeter Chiefs

Post by beshocked Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:23 pm

Saracens line-up vs Exeter Chiefs
15 Chris Wyles
14 James Short
13 Joel Tomkins
12 Adam Powell
11 David Strettle
10 Charlie Hodgson
9 Neil de Kock
1 Mako Vunipola
2 John Smit
3 Matt Stevens
4 Steve Borthwick ©
5 Mouritz Botha
6 Jackson Wray
7 Will Fraser
8 Ernst Joubert
16 Jamie George
17 Nick Auterac
18 Petrus du Plessis
19 Alistair Hagreaves
20 Justin Melck
21 Richard Wigglesworth
22 Nils Mordt
23 Joe Maddock

Strongest possible Saracens side. No stupid selections this week.

Should be good enough to win at home. Saracens are unbeaten at home this season in all competitions.

I like the look of this side a lot. Not the best bench but understandable in the circumstances. Crucial players that I hope stay fit are Vunipola,Hodgson and Powell.

1st start for Powell at 12 for a long time. It gives the Saracens backline a bit more balance than we have been used to.

Vunipola back at loosehead significantly strengthens the scrum.

A proper backrow combo gives us more bite in that area. The reunion of Borthwick and Botha gives us a potent combo there.

The boys will be hurting last week from their inept performance at LI. I expect a big performance and if things click it could be a long afternoon for Exeter.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by DHLS07 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:39 pm

beshocked wrote:Saracens line-up vs Exeter Chiefs
15 Chris Wyles
14 James Short
13 Joel Tomkins
12 Adam Powell
11 David Strettle
10 Charlie Hodgson
9 Neil de Kock
1 Mako Vunipola
2 John Smit
3 Matt Stevens
4 Steve Borthwick ©
5 Mouritz Botha
6 Jackson Wray
7 Will Fraser
8 Ernst Joubert
16 Jamie George
17 Nick Auterac
18 Petrus du Plessis
19 Alistair Hagreaves
20 Justin Melck
21 Richard Wigglesworth
22 Nils Mordt
23 Joe Maddock

Strongest possible Saracens side. No stupid selections this week.

Should be good enough to win at home. Saracens are unbeaten at home this season in all competitions.

I like the look of this side a lot. Not the best bench but understandable in the circumstances. Crucial players that I hope stay fit are Vunipola,Hodgson and Powell.

1st start for Powell at 12 for a long time. It gives the Saracens backline a bit more balance than we have been used to.

Vunipola back at loosehead significantly strengthens the scrum.

A proper backrow combo gives us more bite in that area. The reunion of Borthwick and Botha gives us a potent combo there.

The boys will be hurting last week from their inept performance at LI. I expect a big performance and if things click it could be a long afternoon for Exeter.

Who have you considered to be stupid selections previously? I can see Exeter Chiefs pinching this.

DHLS07

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

You can see Exeter Chief pinching this based on what exactly?Can't see it personally but please do explain.

Picking a very inexperienced loosehead who gave away a hatful of penalties. The biggest selection mistake of the lot.

Leaving out Short

Leaving out Powell

Picking a lock in the backrow

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by DHLS07 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

beshocked wrote:You can see Exeter Chief pinching this based on what exactly?Can't see it personally but please do explain.

Defensive? Much
Condescending? Definitely

I shall explain. All of the pressure is on Saracens in this grand opening of their new ground. Exeter are due a win and will be fired up. Saracens have a centre pairing that I am not certain have played together before and if they have it's not very much. I see defensive frailties there for them. Man for man across the pack Saracens are a bit better than their opponents, but I can see them misfiring with a backline that has rarely played together as a unit beofre.

Last edited by DHLS07 on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

DHLS07

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

When you consider that this is the international window, that really is a strong Sarries side. Very few weaknesses in there.

Home win. No question.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:19 pm

Purely on last week's performances, you have to say Exeter have a damned good chance. Sarries seem to miss Barritt and Kelly Brown rather a lot.

However Sarries should be looking to secure a decent sized win. There were some odd selections last week that have been corrected, and as a club Sarries would not have taken last week's defeat well.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:30 pm

DHLS07 wrote:
beshocked wrote:You can see Exeter Chief pinching this based on what exactly?Can't see it personally but please do explain.

Defensive? Much
Condescending? Definitely

I shall explain. All of the pressure is on Saracens in this grand opening of their new ground. Exeter are due a win and will be fired up. Saracens have a centre pairing that I am not certain have played together before and if they have it's not very much. I see defensive frailties there for them. Man for man across the pack Saracens are a bit better than their opponents, but I can see them misfiring with a backline that has rarely played together as a unit beofre.

Fair points. I apologise for being defensive. I just think that Saracens are pretty much the heavy favourites.

They have home advantage - they are unbeaten in all competitions at "home". They will be hurting from losing to London Irish.

Plus there's the pitch advantage - they have been training there so will be more used to it.

On the other hand this Saracens side relishes pressure. There will be no complacency. I think the coaches took London Irish a bit lightly. Exeter lost to Sale from a decent position. I believe they are missing some players in the centre themselves. Missing their big men in the centre who could punch holes is a big blow.

Powell and Tomkins have not played together, no but this is not an inexperienced Saracens side. None are new players. Contrast that to Exeter who according to aslongasbut100ofus have two new starters.

On paper you would say man for man Saracens have the stronger side - they established combos back in place. Big factor is Mako Vunipola coming back in. It's a more settled side - the Borthwick-Botha 2nd row is back. A proper backrow is there.

LondonTiger I agree.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by DHLS07 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

beshocked I don't disagree that you have the better side on paper, and you undoubtedly will start as heavy favourites with the bookies. Whitten is a lump in the centre for them though and can most definitely punch holes if required. I may (most likely) be proved wrong, but I just have a feeling for Exeter this week. Both teams will be hurting following defeats, and a factor in this game could be who is hurting the most.

DHLS07

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:49 pm

DHLS07 if it's your feeling fair enough.

I am just relieved the likes of Naqelevuki and Votu are missing. Plus of course Tom Johnson.

This Saracens side doesn't normally put two poor performances in a row.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by DHLS07 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 2:54 pm

Has Naqalevuki actually been playing that well this season? I can't recall him having the same impact on any games this term as he did last.

DHLS07

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 15 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

Would nice to get a Chiefs point of view. Are you guys happy with your side?

What are your thoughts?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 15 Feb 2013, 4:24 pm

Naqer is a mystery wrapped in a conundrum. He is a proven gain-line breaker and a player that other sides fear, but he doesn't always seem to fit with the Chiefs game plan of high tempo attack, and his defence can appear ... lets call it haphazard at times. Rob Baxter (and to their credit, the players themselves) were fuming with the performance against Sale - a convincing lead at half-time with several missed chances even then, and falling asleep in the second period - unforgiveable and rightly punished by a pumped Sale fighting for their livelihoods. This mid-third of AP games has not gone as Exe would have wanted it - there's just a couple of pieces not quite falling into place at the moment and I think the boys will be gasping to turn that round and have a good run in to the prem finish. They've loved their first taster of Heino rugby and are certainly very keen on more. We're missing a couple of front row options, but I don't see us hugely weakened there (after all, Exe's strength is that the squad are much of a muchness ability wise), we'll miss TJ's energy in the backrow for sure, and there sufficient guile and pace in the backline to score tries. I'm nervous about Sarries reponse to last week's drubbing, but with the pressure of performing in their inaugural home fixture, they'll need their old heads to keep everyone focused in the right direction. And then, lets see how Exe respond to their disappointments of the last few weeks. Should be a good 'un two teams neither lacking in motivation

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 15 Feb 2013, 4:52 pm

ASBO,

how is Ally Muldowney doing this season? Always thought he was a big honest lock whilst at the Warriors.

BTW c'mon the Chief s

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:38 pm

He's been terrific this season, mostly making a huge impact from the bench (carrying and a real oppo lineout menace), and has had some decent starts too. Sadly he's off to Connacht at the season end - we could only offer him 2 years whereas they could go to 3, so for the sake of the longer deal he's off to the far west. He'll be missed

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

Could never understand why he left Glasgow tbh - maybe saw Gray, Kellock and Ryder ahead of him but we know what happened then with RG. We then had to go get Tim Swinson - go figure !

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

Is the Chief game being televised tomorrow ?

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Could never understand why he left Glasgow tbh - maybe saw Gray, Kellock and Ryder ahead of him but we know what happened then with RG. We then had to go get Tim Swinson - go figure !
Don't think it was a playing issue at all, C21st - I believe that his family just didn't settle at all

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 15 Feb 2013, 6:04 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Is the Chief game being televised tomorrow ?
Pretty sure that it is, being first game at Allianz in the AP OK

Prediction from the rugby blog.co.uk:

"These two lost to the teams propping up the table last week, and are bound to be fuming about it ... Sarries backline seems to lack creativity (wait for beshocked to go bananas at that one!), but with a tight five the likes of the one they've picked, it's unlikely to make a difference. Expect another stifling Saracens win. Saracens by 6"

Hope he's wide of the mark on the result, although the intuition may be sound Wink

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Feb 2013, 6:27 pm

Will be interesting to see the effect that the new pitch has on the game.

Looking at the teams Saracens have to be favourites, they'll be looking to put on a big display for their fans and hoping to make a special day of it for everyone. Exeter will be looking for the win any which way, that'll probably make Saracens lives difficult but won't be enough.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 15 Feb 2013, 6:33 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Could never understand why he left Glasgow tbh - maybe saw Gray, Kellock and Ryder ahead of him but we know what happened then with RG. We then had to go get Tim Swinson - go figure !
Don't think it was a playing issue at all, C21st - I believe that his family just didn't settle at all

WTF - in Glasgow !!!!! There is just no accounting for taste Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 6:49 pm

Saracens win for me made by the forwards, but not by that much. Much better team selected, always thought Powell had potential, tbh forgot he was there with Barritt, Farrell & Tomkins hogging the center spots in recent seasons. Not seen the Chiefs since the Saints game ages ago but hope they continue to the play the same style fast tempo style they did that day. Interested to see how the pitch plays of course as well.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:32 pm

Fascinating game - Chiefs have created numerous scoring opportunities in their last few games, but haven't finished them off. The trick with Sarries is to prise those opportunities from them - they're rare and hard won in general. The same kind of profligacy will see a defeat - a bit more precision and there's a chance.
Chiefs secret weapon could well be Jack Nowell - he's only had a few first team opportunities so far so Sarries won't have seen much of him, but he's a very assured and talented young man.
Yet another big game for Ben Moon in the scrum, and the lineout will be well and truly tested. The old warhorse Richie Baxter reverts to his youthful position of 6 (when he turned out alongside Webb-Ellis) so a new back-row combination will need to settle quickly.

You can get Exe at 5/1 - worth a punt, but possibly not a big one unless you're as blindly optimistic as I am.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:00 pm

Really good to see the game sold out. If Sarries get regular 10000 attendances it will be great for them

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:13 pm

Another case of varying definitions of forward pass. "Passed one side of the and caught the other" I thought it was supposed to be the direction of the hands nonsense?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:21 pm

Kicking is not good at all!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:24 pm

First look at the stadium, very impressed. If they can get near capacity attendance they could create a good atmosphere.

Impressed with the height of the main stand too, it seems to loom over the proceedings. Could be intimidating under the right circumstances.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:24 pm

Good handling by the Sarries, although some of the passes by their half backs are poor.

Short having a bad start though

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Cumbrian wrote:First look at the stadium, very impressed. If they can get near capacity attendance they could create a good atmosphere.

Impressed with the height of the main stand too, it seems to loom over the proceedings. Could be intimidating under the right circumstances.

does look impressive, looking forward to seeing it finished.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Another case of varying definitions of forward pass. "Passed one side of the and caught the other" I thought it was supposed to be the direction of the hands nonsense?

Unable to watch match - but this video put on Youtube is good at trying to explain forward passes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

Christ, the only thing more annoying than the moronic 'Bid bad wolf' over the tannoy is the Chiefs aweful Native American chanting.

Still, the stadium looks grand. Some good players on show and I like the look of Nowell.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:31 pm

Hood83 wrote:Christ, the only thing more annoying than the moronic 'Bid bad wolf' over the tannoy is the Chiefs aweful Native American chanting.

Still, the stadium looks grand. Some good players on show and I like the look of Nowell.

Which is still not as bad as my awful spelling obviously.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

One thing i'll say about this new pitch is that we won't see any scores with the player sliding over the line. Charlie pretty much rolled then.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 16 Feb 2013, 3:46 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Another case of varying definitions of forward pass. "Passed one side of the and caught the other" I thought it was supposed to be the direction of the hands nonsense?

Unable to watch match - but this video put on Youtube is good at trying to explain forward passes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

No it really isn't. That's one interpretation that is not always applied. What annoys me is that there isn't one interpretation applied by all.

Edit: just noticed the bit about not watching the game. In this case the pass was ruled forward because it was passed and caught either side of a line. It was hair forward under that definition, but if following the Total rugby video there is no way it was even close to forward as Hodgaon for moving forward as he passed.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:00 pm

agh, that sarries song is awful!!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:13 pm

Exeter just can't match the physicality at the moment, Sarries can happily work through the phases without too much pressure.

Jackson Wray and the Sarries 15 both look very good.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

yappysnap wrote:Exeter just can't match the physicality at the moment, Sarries can happily work through the phases without too much pressure.

Jackson Wray and the Sarries 15 both look very good.

yeah sarries 15 looks electric.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Hood83 wrote:Christ, the only thing more annoying than the moronic 'Bid bad wolf' over the tannoy is the Chiefs aweful Native American chanting.

Which is still not as bad as my awful spelling obviously.

hardly native american chanting, it's the tune to coldplay.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

lol, the just said "shut it 9".

Do think this ref is being a little unfair to Exeter, looked like a sarries player held him back there. instead it's a sarries scrum.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:23 pm

Nice to see Powell back in action...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:32 pm

How any times is the ref going to allow the sarries to dive into rucks off their feet?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:33 pm

Vunipola's played really well. good game.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:35 pm

Theres been a number of impressive performances...

Tomkins
Vunipola
Fraser - He's a genuine challenger to Kvesic as the upcoming 7 for England regocnition

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:35 pm

another awful decision, this time against the sarries.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

Sade's Smooth Operator played for both Vunipola's tries, is it his theme or something?

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:40 pm

markb wrote:Sade's Smooth Operator played for both Vunipola's tries, is it his theme or something?

dunno, sarries seem to be very "commercial" these days.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

nathan wrote:
markb wrote:Sade's Smooth Operator played for both Vunipola's tries, is it his theme or something?

So Vunipola actually requested the dubstep remix?

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

markb wrote:
nathan wrote:

So Vunipola actually requested the dubstep remix?

oh yeah, you can request it via text message. didn't you hear about it? Smile

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:47 pm

Crackin Welsh accent on Vunipola...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:54 pm

Everyone on the pitch after the game. It's going to be really interesting to see how this fake pitch plays out. Can we see it becoming standard in the future? Early days

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next