The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English clubs look for HC decision in May.

+25
overlordofthewest
MrsP
formerly known as Sam
beshocked
TrailApe
AlastairW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
nth
doctornickolas
Bathman_in_London
yappysnap
markb
profitius
Brendan
broadlandboy
Poorfour
geoff998rugby
maestegmafia
Artful_Dodger
TJ1
nathan
Kingshu
DaveM
HammerofThunor
doctor_grey
29 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

English clubs look for HC decision in May. - Page 4 Empty English clubs look for HC decision in May.

Post by Guest Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:06 am

First topic message reminder :

A little bit of an update amongst the usual blurb on the various options. It really does look like a case of who is going to blink first and the English and French having to cook up a viable alternative in order to generate compromise.
The Anglo welsh league is one I haven't previously heard muted. May looks like being decision time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9875127/English-clubs-linked-with-southern-hemisphere-Super-Rugby-teams-as-Heineken-Cup-stalemate-deepens.html

Back to top Go down

English clubs look for HC decision in May. - Page 4 Empty Re: English clubs look for HC decision in May.

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:How nations decide their qualifiers is up to them.

If the English give the LV winners their choice no one makes them do it.

With a new TV deal the LV cup should be kicked into the long grqass and reduce the rugby played

It is now. It might not be in the future.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

English clubs look for HC decision in May. - Page 4 Empty Re: English clubs look for HC decision in May.

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:18 pm

Kingshu wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
Kingshu wrote:Every here is saying its the top 6 in the Aviva that qualify for the H-cup, its not. It's top 5 + LV cup winners (if English).

6th place in Prem league only qualify if LV cup winners are Welsh or are already qualified.

Will the RFU be allowed to decide how it's teams qualify for Europe? while dictating how others qualify?

Or will it change to top 6 only in Aviva, and what would this do to the LV=cup?
Without a European place at stake will sponsorship dwindle and lower sides dismiss it, and a poor cup comp die?

Well that depends on the negotiations doesn't it? Most people don't really care about it, the A league is being shortened so I can so an English A cup replacing it if needed.

English 'A' cup sounds fine, but remember we've already got you'r Championship clubs in our 'A' cup. Very Happy

Well that doesn't have to last. A return to an English cup (something similar to FA cup) would be welcomed by most English rugby supporters I think.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:22 pm

The Championship teams will stick with thier Celtic cousins, they know who helped them when the evil Prem turned thier back on them.

Joking, but I don't know how long the agreement for the BandI cup is, adding Aviva 'A' teams would improve it.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:33 pm

Kingshu wrote:The Championship teams will stick with thier Celtic cousins, they know who helped them when the evil Prem turned thier back on them.

Joking, but I don't know how long the agreement for the BandI cup is, adding Aviva 'A' teams would improve it.

The only thing that would improve the BandI Cup would be to abolish it (and the Championship clubs are very well aware of which teams have f**ked them about during the short history of the competition).

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 22 Feb 2013, 2:38 pm

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:
Kingshu wrote:The Championship teams will stick with thier Celtic cousins, they know who helped them when the evil Prem turned thier back on them.

The only thing that would improve the BandI Cup would be to abolish it (and the Championship clubs are very well aware of which teams have f**ked them about during the short history of the competition).

I take it you'r refering to the Celtic nations, well go on, tell me how you work that out???

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 22 Feb 2013, 4:56 pm

Thunor, most unlike your good self to bend statistics so shamefully! Wink

I think that the FFR would certainly deem this a matter of "national interest" and the RRW have only one seat on a board, not a majority vote. So while they will have a say, the final vote is unlikely to belong to the clubs (except perhaps in England)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 22 Feb 2013, 5:16 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Thunor, most unlike your good self to bend statistics so shamefully! Wink

I think that the FFR would certainly deem this a matter of "national interest" and the RRW have only one seat on a board, not a majority vote. So while they will have a say, the final vote is unlikely to belong to the clubs (except perhaps in England)

What statistics? If you mean votes, I never said the French, Welsh or English votes are fully controlled by the clubs. I said they have given some decision making rights to the organisations that actually take part. The idea that it is fully run by the unions is not true anymore (as I said the SRU and IRFU have control of the teams so it's difficult to include them). If I didn't say that I apologise.

EDIT: Just had a quick look and I said "So most parties have accepted that the teams that compete should have a say in the competition.." Not sure what's being bent there

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 22 Feb 2013, 6:41 pm

Was just pulling yer plonker, big man! Wink. It was all in the inference

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:05 pm

Kingshu wrote:
Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:

I take it you'r refering to the Celtic nations, well go on, tell me how you work that out???

That'll be some of the teams that end in 'A' - late notification of game dates, kick-off time and venue, late changes to dates, kick-off times and venues (not weather induced), inconvenient kick-off times.

You're right about the evil Prem, though.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:08 pm

Gala?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:09 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Gala?

You mean GalA

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

Sam, your missing out a key demand in your list, the main point of contention - namely the PRL & to a lesser extent the LNR saying that they want to reduce the size of the competition, and to do so by reducing the number of participants from each of the Celtic and Italian unions - its no wonder there's a sticking block!

As that would be the revamp of the Amlin. That competition is currently hard to sell because next to no Rabo teams take part. Bring some Rabo teams into the competition and you'll start to see the same inter country rivalry that sells the HEC and the 6N. Given the increased interest that would generate in the Amlin there should be the opportunity to get better revenue deals for the Amlin.

The English BT deal is supposed to far bigger than what is on the table from Sky so if that was allowed Rabo nations wouldn't lose out and the English and French clubs would get a new cash injection.

Absolutely rubbish - the only thing they have refused to discuss is to counternance the English insistance all three leagues should be treated the same and no recognition be made that the Pro12 represents 4 unions and the other 2 leagues only one each.

George, the English and French announced they wanted to leave because the Rabo nations flatly refused to discuss the layout of the HEC. There could have been some placating and allowing the BT deal (which is what the AP clubs really want) and the change of dates (which is what the French really want) but the Rabo lot weren't interested. Now it's all on the table with the Rabo lot looking to protect their own interests whilst the anglo-french alliance is looking to reveloutionise European competition. The third tier being a very good idea.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4