The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raonic beats a 60-year old record!

+13
JuliusHMarx
Born Slippy
summerblues
hawkeye
The Special Juan
lydian
Henman Bill
HM Murdock
ryan86
socal1976
Chydremion
carrieg4
laverfan
17 posters

Go down

Is Raonic the latest GOAT?

Raonic beats a 60-year old record! Vote_lcap50%Raonic beats a 60-year old record! Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]
Raonic beats a 60-year old record! Vote_lcap50%Raonic beats a 60-year old record! Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 12

Poll closed

Raonic beats a 60-year old record! Empty Raonic beats a 60-year old record!

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

The Canadian became the first player in the Open Era to win three Bay Area titles in a row and first since Tony Trabert achieved the feat from 1953-55. He did not drop serve during his triumph this week, holding in all 39 games.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/02/7/San-Jose-Sunday-Raonic-Beats-Haas-For-Third-Straight-Event-Title.aspx

Is he the latest GOAT? Laugh Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Raonic beats a 60-year old record! Empty Re: Raonic beats a 60-year old record!

Post by carrieg4 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:00 pm

He''s the new Sampras! But now we have the debate again whether Sampy was the goat.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:02 pm

Raonic is the most likely next new slam winner. His backhand and return look much better than they were last year. If those two shots improve for Raonic the sky is the limit. He is a very brigist kid as well, which really in a game like tennis is instrumental to being a lasting star in the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:06 pm

socal1976 wrote:Raonic is the most likely next new slam winner. His backhand and return look much better than they were last year. If those two shots improve for Raonic the sky is the limit. He is a very brigist kid as well, which really in a game like tennis is instrumental to being a lasting star in the game.

Still, the memories of Federer and Murray totally dismanteling his game at the slams is fresh in my mind.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:43 pm

Raonic did this is Chennai last year as well. Raonic is probably top of my list of players that haven't got a slam that I think will one at the moment.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:43 pm

carrieg4 wrote: Laugh

Happy to make you Laugh. Fedal discussion(s) just kill(s) anything else on the horizon. Sad.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Match-Facts-Pop-Up.aspx?t=424&y=2013&r=7&p=R975

Haas had no chance against 19 aces in a 117 point match where Raonic won 66 points to 51 the Haas did. Wink

@Chydremion ... You are giving credit to two players, who are held in utter extremes on this board. You are a brave person. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:48 pm

ryan86 wrote:Raonic did this is Chennai last year as well.

The Tipsy, three-set TB match was a reminder to me of this one as well - http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Match-Facts-Pop-Up.aspx?t=403&y=2006&r=7&p=F324

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 8:00 pm

laverfan wrote:
carrieg4 wrote: Laugh

Happy to make you Laugh. Fedal discussion(s) just kill(s) anything else on the horizon. Sad.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Match-Facts-Pop-Up.aspx?t=424&y=2013&r=7&p=R975

Haas had no chance against 19 aces in a 117 point match where Raonic won 66 points to 51 the Haas did. Wink

@Chydremion ... You are giving credit to two players, who are held in utter extremes on this board. You are a brave person. rose

I know what you mean LF, I have a nervous twitch at the very mention of the word GOAT Shocked .

As far as Raonic is concerned it is an impressive win but I would be interested to see how many top players entered San Jose three years in a row. He is looking the best of the next generation at the moment but not sure he has enough to make the big breakthrough - time will tell I guess. I will enjoy watching anyway Bubbly

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 18 Feb 2013, 8:00 pm

I'm pleased he is doing well but I must confess that winning a 250 three times in a row, whilst impressive, does not really get my pulse racing.

I'm looking for bigger things from the "next big thing"!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:24 pm

Raonic the latest GOAT? Bit late to the bandwagon aren't you mate, try 2 years ago. Sheesh.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:28 pm

He's technically nothing like Sampras.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:35 pm

Sampras was much more athletic than Raonic in terms of movement and moving into the court to finish at net. That being said I really do view his intelligence, his serve, and forehand highly. I think he will be future grandslam winner. Maybe not a Sampras but an Ivanisvic or Krajicek?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Raonic the latest GOAT? Bit late to the bandwagon aren't you mate, try 2 years ago. Sheesh.

The underlying theme of such an article was to distract the posters from all forms of GOAT debates. He seems to be much better now than 2 years ago, sans his injuries. Wink

His BH was a lot better last night than when he first showed up on the scene.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:46 pm

When I first saw the topic of the post I thought it read "Raonic beats a 60-year old relic!" and was thinking "That's no way to talk about Tommy Haas." picard
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:50 pm

60 year record, or 34-year old relic, take your pick, TSJ.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:54 pm

Sampras was simply much more talented in every department, his movement was infinitely better for a start. Raonic has a big serve but not the variety, and the 2nd serve isn't on same level. Whereas Sampras got his power from timing, Raonic needs Luxilon, modern racquets and low string tension. Sampras got over 5200rpm on serve, Raonic is much much flatter making it much easier to return by the top guys.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

laverfan wrote:

The underlying theme of such an article was to distract the posters from all forms of GOAT debates.

Oh I get it. A bit like look over there "A squirrel" or look over there "Raonic has just done something obscure" and then no one will notice that Fedal have stolen all the big trophies?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:13 pm

He has won four titles on tour thus far, three of them in SJ (without dropping a set there in three years I believe). He is 22+ years old. He had better start winning bigger things quick.

Not a huge fan of his - too much of a serve only player for my taste, even though I admit he is at least passable otherwise. As much as I find Tomic annoying personally, I like his game better (when he suppresses his urge to slice everything). And, obviously, I'd much rather see Grigor do well though he is also running out of time.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

hawkeye wrote:
laverfan wrote:

The underlying theme of such an article was to distract the posters from all forms of GOAT debates.

Oh I get it. A bit like look over there "A squirrel" or look over there "Raonic has just done something obscure" and then no one will notice that Fedal have stolen all the big trophies?

They only got two of the six really shiny big trophies last year. It was more of a Djokurray year with a really, really shiny one and a very shiny one each. Can't wait to see Nadal back at RG though, it is his home from home. Fed always tough to bet against at Wimbledon too.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:26 pm

San Jose over the last three years is a prime example of why the notion of speeding up the courts, whilst laudable, cannot happen. A player as limited as Raonic is near impossible to beat there - he has dropped serve twice in three years!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:33 pm

Born Slippy wrote:San Jose over the last three years is a prime example of why the notion of speeding up the courts, whilst laudable, cannot happen. A player as limited as Raonic is near impossible to beat there - he has dropped serve twice in three years!
I agree. As much as I dislike endless rallies I do not think there is an easy solution available. Even with current slow conditions, serves are actually pretty hard to break (I was myself quite surprised how hard - but someone posted some stats late last year I believe that showed that there are fewer breaks of serve now than maybe 10-15 years ago or something like that). If the conditions are sped up, we are more likely to get servefests instead of versatile play. I would love to see more all-court tennis with a lot of S&V, but not clear how to get there.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:35 pm

carrieg4. I think Federer and Nadal did very well last year all things considered as they still hung on to the two important slams. It was just a case of people saying the equivalent "look a squirrel" that meant their achievements were overlooked.

I can't wait to see Nadal back at full fitness and hope this happens prior to RG. Personally I find no fun in watching such a great player struggle with injury in what should be his prime years. Federer has been so much more fortunate but he is 31 and a half. If he wins he wins but it is no big loss at this stage if he doesn't...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:50 pm

Born Slippy wrote:San Jose over the last three years is a prime example of why the notion of speeding up the courts, whilst laudable, cannot happen. A player as limited as Raonic is near impossible to beat there - he has dropped serve twice in three years!

I concur with that, as I have said if you speed up conditions tennis will be worse than it was in the late 90s. The athletes are bigger, stronger, and more advanced physically than even what they were a decade or more ago.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm

BS could you imagine the first Isner v. Raonic match on fast grass courts at wimbeldon. We may have to suspend the USO as the score in the fifth set reaches 698-696. There is a reason they slowed down the conditions and that the slow down was so widespread. Serve and volley tennis has been losing ground really since the graphite racquet, albeit the slowing conditions and luxis certainly accelerated an already existing trend.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm

hawkeye wrote:carrieg4. I think Federer and Nadal did very well last year all things considered as they still hung on to the two important slams. It was just a case of people saying the equivalent "look a squirrel" that meant their achievements were overlooked.

I can't wait to see Nadal back at full fitness and hope this happens prior to RG. Personally I find no fun in watching such a great player struggle with injury in what should be his prime years. Federer has been so much more fortunate but he is 31 and a half. If he wins he wins but it is no big loss at this stage if he doesn't...

Yes they did well to claim two of the four important slams.

Hope Nadal better in time for RG, it may take him time to find his feet but the old Nadal is still in there. RG is like his home turf so may have restorative properties in itself. As for Fed, as you say any slams are a bonus from here on. All he needs are some 80% days followed by a really good day.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 18 Feb 2013, 11:16 pm

Although he's only played 2 top 20 players in 3 years - one ranked 20 and one ranked 9. His opponents were simply more limited than him.
So it's not really an argument against speeding up the courts at a few tournaments where the bigger players are playing.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 11:22 pm

Worth noting that it was the final playing of this particular tournament.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 19 Feb 2013, 12:37 am

ryan86 wrote:Worth noting that it was the final playing of this particular tournament.

Indeed, a sad day....

With a touch of sadness and thousands of memories big and small, Northern California and the tennis world bid a fond farewell to an event that thrilled millions and created its own rich history.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/Deuce-2013/San-Jose.aspx

San Jose being replaced by Rio de Janeiro, but Memphis replaces it in the Tennis calendar next year.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/ATP-replaces-San-Jose-event-with-Rio-de-Janeiro-3504166.php

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:29 am

Chydremion wrote:He''s the new Sampras! But now we have the debate again whether Sampy was the goat.

Quote of the week notworthy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

Chydremion wrote:He''s the new Sampras! But now we have the debate again whether Sampy was the goat.

Yeah sure he is the new Sampras Rolling Eyes ... in his dreams
Sampras would give him a tennis lesson thats about as close as he would get

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 19 Feb 2013, 1:38 pm

This young man is more sane than Tomic, IMVHO.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Feb 2013, 1:49 pm

laverfan wrote:This young man is more sane than Tomic, IMVHO.

Sane he maybe LF.... Sampras he isnt

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

Same as Sampras?

What, a boring gorilla?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Feb 2013, 2:04 pm

Yes except he isn´t such a talented boring gorilla Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 19 Feb 2013, 2:39 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

Yeah sure he is the new Sampras Rolling Eyes ... in his dreams
Sampras would give him a tennis lesson thats about as close as he would get

Don't think he is the new Sampras. For a start he isn't as hairy as old hang dog.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:42 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
laverfan wrote:This young man is more sane than Tomic, IMVHO.
Sane he maybe LF.... Sampras he isnt

Perhaps he is not one right now, but it is difficult to predict the future. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

You could be right... but here is one who wouldn´t put money on it Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:37 pm

Laverfan are you sure it's even allowed to post an article that doesn't mention Federer or Nadal in the title? there seems to be maybe a law against it?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm

Well HB I suggest you have a look at my article NADAL FED RIVALRY AGAIN

Because they are so way off topic its not true.. so you should feel comfortable with it Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 20 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Laverfan are you sure it's even allowed to post an article that doesn't mention Federer or Nadal in the title? there seems to be maybe a law against it?

I am ready for my 20 lashes for such blasphemy. Wink

@H-n... will look as well. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down