The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: WGC Accenture MatchPlay: Notes from the Ballwasher

+31
1GrumpyGolfer
Lairdy
GunsGerms
twoeightnine
JAS
Leff
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Plunky
mystiroakey
pedro
sirbenson
beninho
Hibbz
themightyone
hogie
Skydriver
McLaren
Bob_the_Job
jimbohammers
incontinentia
John Cregan
Roller_Coaster
super_realist
GPB
princedracula
barragan
I'm never wrong
NedB-H
navyblueshorts
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: WGC Accenture MatchPlay: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: WGC Accenture MatchPlay: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).All set for Tim Finchem's annual international get-together in the desert as we travel east from one of the most revered courses on the PGA Tour to one rated by PGA Tour pros as amongst the very worst on Tour. But the action should be compelling, Tiger plays with Chuckie, Rory plays with Shane, truly "Jeux Sans Frontieres".

2).But before we say, "Hello, Dove Mountain," we should offer a very fond au revoir to Riviera which looked at its absolute Major-worthy very best last week for the "Northern Trust Open", won eventually by John Merrick - and who'd've thunk it? Such a fantastic leaderboard and the two to come out on top were the two least heralded of the lot.
Until now, Merrick seemed to be the archetypal Tour journeyman, making the FedEx play-offs in each of the past six years, with an annual trip to the top of a leaderboard (two runner-ups), but never a winner. Now he's off to Augusta (where he finished 6th on his first visit), has a ticket to the stroke-play WGC's and may even reach the US Open (where he's also finished 6th).

We pointed out the inherent advantage that California boys had for the three coastal California events and John Merrick, from nearby Long Beach, joins Tiger as winners this year. Sure Snedeker won at Pebble Beach, but two lesser-known Californians, Hahn and Stadler crowded on to the podium.

3).And then there's Charlie Beljan. Most Tour pros play further right than Theo Walcott but Beljan is something else:
"Praying that Paul Ryan and Romney can beat the biggest D Bag this country has ever seen," he elegantly tweeted last August.
He then likened President Obama to the bad person issues at Penn State University and his uncomplimentary observations following last November's election preceded the deletion of his Twitter account.
Ironically, he was then carted away from the Disney tournament by health care workers and stuffed in to an ambulance destined for hospital where he overnighted - presumably partly Government services that his ideal world would abolish.
He was at it again in the press room on Sunday with his description of the highly regarded 10th hole:
"I really don't have anything good to say about the 10th hole." "It's a tough hole to have a play-off on. We might as well go and put a windmill out there," before going on to say they should blow it up.
Pity he's not in the Match Play, "Adolf plays with Beljan . . . ."

4).In fairness, the green on Riviera's 10th might be getting a little severe but there were still eagles to be had and birdies a-plenty. Azinger mentioned that, when he played the 10th as his first hole, before he felt properly warmed up, he'd lay up; when he played it as his 10th hole, he'd go for the green.
Great tournament regardless, a loss that Bill Haas will have nightmares about, and an opportunity for all the Europeans except Freddie Jac to flatter only to disappointingly deceive. Ironic that the Swedish Seve should miss a 4-footer for a play-off berth.

5).Let's keep an eye on Ross Fisher this season. He secured his "playing privileges" via an excellent Q-School result and has four tournaments under his belt: 56th, 21st, cut, and now 38th at Riviera.
He led the Northern Trust in greens in regulation so 38th was a disappointing result. He gets this week off, will presumably then play Honda, Puerto Rico, Tampa, week off for Bay Hill, and perhaps Houston and San Antonio before The Masters. If the pgatour.com web-site ever returns to normal, we'll know for sure where he stands on the "reshuffle" as the Tour heads east, but he's probably lost about six or eight places, to perhaps 12th. Just guessing.

6).Dustin Johnson dominated the field at Kapalua but since he embarked on his synchronised gymnastics with Paulina Gretzky his sequence of finshes is: withdrawn (you couldn't make it up, could you), 51st, cut, cut. T33 is the worst he can do this week unless he withdraws again or gets dq'd for unsportsmanlike conduct.

7).The weather forecast for Round One of the Match Play is dismal, cold (forties), strong winds and the likelihood of rain. Or perhaps snow. Wind gusts today could reach 40 mph.
Conditions Wednesday are likely to be worst early so Rory and Tiger might benefit from later tee-times (12.05 p.m. & 12.25 p.m. local) as they get to renew friendly rivalries with Lowry and CHIII - Woods and Howell first met in the 1996 US Amateur when Chuckie was a mere yute of 17, but subsequently became near-ish neighbours at Isleworth.

8).No idea of who might fare well this week beyond the obvious - Luuuuke, South Africa - but some of the guys have previous, for better or for worse:
Most wins:
Woods: 33
Toms: 24
Poults: 18
Lukey: 16
Scott: 14
Those with more losses than wins include:
Westwood: 14
Els: 12
Furyk: 12
while Harrington has 11 wins to go with 11 losses.

9).Bernhard Langer continues to add to his Champions Tour fortune although his march to victory in Florida last Sunday wasn't without the occasional self-inflicted mishap. Since turning 50 in 2007, Bernhard has now won 17 times, more than any player reaching the Champo Tour since 1998. He's 14th on the list of all-time wins behind Irwin, Trevino, Gil Morgan, Barber, Charles and January, Rodriguez, Colbert and Crampton, Larry Nelson and Player, Fleisher and Mike Hill. Pretty good company considering the greatly reduced number of events now compared to the heyday of the Tour in the 80's and 90's.

10).Weather permitting, the first round of the "WGC Accenture Match Play" is as exciting/fascinating as any day of the golfing year, at least outside the Majors and Ryder Cup. TV coverage should be comprehensive starting at 5.00 p.m. GMT on Wednesday. Games without frontiers, war without tears.

Last edited by barragan on Tue 26 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Don't know east from west. Tks mighty.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC Accenture MatchPlay: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC Accenture MatchPlay: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by NedB-H Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm

Nothing against Westwood, but come on RCB!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC Accenture MatchPlay: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC Accenture MatchPlay: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:36 pm

Ha ha- Bradley's new pre-shot fidget involves taking his hat off and on a certain number of times, OCD alert!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:45 pm

Paddy! Keep it going.

Westy lost to a birdie, but should not have gone that far.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:04 am

Go Shane! Awesome chipping
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:13 am

Hell of a finish to the Siem-Donald match...

Come on Shane!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:31 am

Wow, upsets galore!

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Feb 2013, 2:54 am

My "bracket" is decimated - I knew I shouldn't have had Tiger reaching Round 3.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 22 Feb 2013, 6:46 am

is anyone really that surprised mcilroy and woods are out??!! having tested titleist 913, i can confirm mcilroy is a moron for not sticking with them...he only has himself to blame... egg

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 6:48 am

Ha ha. Baldy Nine Chins out on his @rse Laugh

I've a sneaking feeling for Hanson for this.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:51 am

Rors and woods are not match players. We all know this and shouldn't be surprised.

They are not no.1 and 2 at this game.. Just pack players

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:53 am

Oakey, Baldy Nince Chins is very much (or certainly has been in the past) a matchplay player, I think he's won this 3 times, it's simply Ryder Cup in which is record is hysterical.
His record in the tinpot and worthless Presidents Cup is also quite good but he bottles it in the real deal.

Not sure why you mentioned Rose, especially as he won yesterday, I would have thought he is proven as a good matchplay player.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:27 am

ipad!!

i mentioned rors!! updated.

the great thing about the ipad is that it capitalises, it also checks me spelling but when I use slang or shorterned words it changes them!! in this case it actually changed rors into another player..

Rose is a quality match player..

On woods.

Woods was an expetional talent in his peak(whatever format).. he was no.1 of everthing but today he isnt the no.2 match player out there..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:28 am

He's the number one at being Baldy and having Nine Chins.

Good win for John Candy yesterday too. Who'd have thought it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:31 am

well I had a feeling!

Rors banging on about not needing to practise and all that..

Sometimes matchplay is about who wants it the most.. Lowy being a NI lad probally had some motivation.. And he probally needs the money.. He loves 10 lobsters on fish night

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

super_realist wrote:He's the number one at being Baldy and having Nine Chins.

I shouldn't but Laugh Laugh Laugh

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:48 am

super_realist wrote:

Good win for John Candy yesterday too. Who'd have thought it.
I did! C'mon super, as a short game guy yourself you must admire his chipping prowess?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:51 am

I didn't see it, but I gather he played well, more power to his elbow and well done to the heart attack in waiting.
I don't think he's got the fitness to last a week of games that length though.

He's making progress though in the game, I'll give him that, probably more than his hysterical physique deserves.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:54 am

Anyone else think Harrington was really behaving like an idiot on the 18th last night by even attempting a chip that wouldn't have mattered anyway and taking so much time over it..........................You could see McDowell & Caddie laughing at him..................................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:00 am

Emergency meeting of Nike marketing execs this morning Laugh

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:01 am

Coatzee is fatter. I didnt see much of 9 chins' match but he did hit a few loose shots and CH3 was pretty solid from what i saw.

I thought Rory was quite disrespectful, he said if he had been playing anyone else in the field he would have lost by more.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:01 am

Brilliant golf from Lowry yesterday.....Do people who finish in the top 10 ie reach round 3 get into the Honda Classic next week if not exempt already.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:05 am

incontinentia wrote:Coatzee is fatter. I didnt see much of 9 chins' match but he did hit a few loose shots and CH3 was pretty solid from what i saw.

I thought Rory was quite disrespectful, he said if he had been playing anyone else in the field he would have lost by more.

Not really disrespectful when Lowry doesn't have any respect for himself and is the lowest ranked player in the field.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:05 am

"I thought Rory was quite disrespectful, he said if he had been playing anyone else in the field he would have lost by more."

naughty rors.. jesus

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:06 am

SR firstly its an out of order thing to say.

Secindly match play is only about winning- wether you shoot a 90 or a 60 its immaterial.. its about the win..

Just because lowery didnt have to play that well to beat him doesnt mean he couldnt have raised his game if needed..

And (i havent checked) i saw some pretty random players out there yesterday - Are you sure lowery is the lowest ranked?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:09 am

Oakey, Lowry is the lowest ranked, that's how the draw works, Number 1 (McIlroy plays the 64th best player in the draw)

I also sincerely doubt John Candy is that good that he can afford to take the foot off the gas or play anything less than his best against someone like McIlroy

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:10 am

mystiroakey wrote:well I had a feeling!

Rors banging on about not needing to practise and all that..

Sometimes matchplay is about who wants it the most.. Lowy being a NI lad probally had some motivation..

Lowry isn't from Northern Ireland

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:12 am

got ya!

But i have seen Lowery play some decent golf before. Didnt see the game and all. But i think its a bit of an idiotic statement from rors tbh..,

Anyway match play should be seeded on match play skillz not WR(not that that would work off course- not enough match play is played- but in a perfect world)

the favs for me in this was and still is rose,poults and looooooke

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:13 am

"
Lowry isn't from Northern Ireland"

isnt he!!

soz- Irish i take it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:14 am

Yeah, Poulter and Donald have got to like there chances of winning now but this tournament is always a bit unpredictable.

Yeah, Lowry is from Offaly.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:15 am

Oakey, yeah Lowry is currently ranked 64 (in the draw 1 plays 64, 2 plays 63, 3 plays 62 etc).

Having said that Lowry is 64 and rising, Chucky at 63 has some good recent form too so it's a bit of a guess as to who the current "worst" player in the tournament is. According to the OWGR it's Lowry but we all know the owgr don't reflect current current form.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:20 am

That Japan tour guy's ranking must be flattering surely.. I just thought that was an unnecessary thing to say, unless i have the context wrong. I know they are good mates
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:23 am

yeah maybe it was taken out of context and all. Or maybe it was just banter from rors and all that..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:25 am

It might have been unessessary but probably true.

John Candy is the lowest ranked player in the field, it's his first appearance and he is in utterly appalling physical shape.

There is nothing wrong with what he said, but more that he said it.

Golf is boring enough though if people insist on being PC and giving sugar coated dreary interviews, good for McIlroy for being outspoken even if it might have upset the fat unsightly gluttenous gutlord..

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:28 am

yep I suppose..

jeas i wish you were a pro tbh. I can imagine your interviews lol!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:30 am

At least I wouldn't pander with Lampard type boring-ness.

I'd probably be a bit like a Gordon Strachan and take the pi$$ out of their awful questions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:35 am

super_realist wrote:It might have been unessessary but probably true.

John Candy is the lowest ranked player in the field, it's his first appearance and he is in utterly appalling physical shape.

There is nothing wrong with what he said, but more that he said it.

Golf is boring enough though if people insist on being PC and giving sugar coated dreary interviews, good for McIlroy for being outspoken even if it might have upset the fat unsightly gluttenous gutlord..
Do you have to keep flogging the obesity dead horse? It's boring now and I think we get it.

Rory can say what he likes but he shouldn't be surprised if someone else hammers back at such a dull remark. He's done this sort of thing too often for my liking.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:39 am

super_realist wrote:At least I wouldn't pander with Lampard type boring-ness.

I'd probably be a bit like a Gordon Strachan and take the pi$$ out of their awful questions.

Laugh

Interviewer "Eh Gordon, can we have a quick word?"

Strachan " Aye....Velocity!!"

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:39 am

Navy, I thought in this case it was relevant to McIlroy's statement which while he probably shouldn't have said it, depending on the context in which it was said, was probably true based on the reasons I gave.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:48 am

I think we could only answer if it was true based on viewing.

We didnt view much of the golf(others did) so its a bit of a stretch to base it on rankings- especially in golf..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 22 Feb 2013, 10:07 am

Let's focus on round 2 instead of lingering with the Rory / Lowry thingy.

My predictions:
Petterson
Noren
Watson
Day
CHIII
Hanson
Kaymer
Hunter
Garrigus
FJ
Colsaerts
Kuchar
Donald
Stricker
Oleson
Poulter

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 22 Feb 2013, 10:08 am

Lowrey and Rory are good mates from way back and were heard doing a bit of trash talk on the putting green so my guess will be that the two of them were Wee weeing themselves in the changing room about his comment. Its certainly the sort of thing I would say after beating a mate whether it was true or not.

Main difference is that no one would be listening!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 10:11 am

Not many septics left.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 22 Feb 2013, 10:51 am

JAS wrote:Emergency meeting of Nike marketing execs this morning Laugh

Slightly different slant, but the thought did occur to me yesterday that their big sponsorship deals have caused them real problems in the last few years (Woods, Armstrong, Pistorious...), highlighting the business risk involved.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 22 Feb 2013, 11:04 am

Skydriver wrote:

Slightly different slant, but the thought did occur to me yesterday that their big sponsorship deals have caused them real problems in the last few years (Woods, Armstrong, Pistorious...), highlighting the business risk involved.

Ouch....that's quite a 3ball!!!

Doesn't really seem to have adversely affected them though!

I'm surprised they haven't taken more pelters for their use of child labour in Far East sweat shops. Potentially far more brand damaging these days than a high profile "clothes horse" going off the rails.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 22 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

Skydriver wrote:

You can add in Michael Vick (US Football) who got done for arranging dog fights I think. I know that Nike do like an athlete with a bit of an edge but these are a bit far. Having said that could anyone really have seen those three athletes ending up like this when they were signed up? And I think Nike do tend to tie people in to long contracts which I guess could leave them more open to people changing.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 22 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

JAS wrote:
Skydriver wrote:

Ouch....that's quite a 3ball!!!

Doesn't really seem to have adversely affected them though!

I'm surprised they haven't taken more pelters for their use of child labour in Far East sweat shops. Potentially far more brand damaging these days than a high profile "clothes horse" going off the raig.

Spoiler:

What next for Nike? McIlroy to declare for Britain or something scandalous like that.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:26 pm

Looks like action today begins at 9.20 a.m., local time, with Gonzo and the Red Neck Swede going out at 9.30 to conclude their matches.

No TV coverage currently scheduled until noon local time, 7.00 p.m. GMT, presumably designed to catch NIKE golfers starting their Round 2. Good luck with that, you'll have to show some Europeans and Saffers instead.

Communication of info seems to be completely overlooked during this event - the WGC site still with Round 1 tee-times up.

Beyond frustrating . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:34 pm

Kwini, thanks, I was just trying to get some info from any website at all re the start times today but to no avail.
2nd round will start soon after, I guess?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:48 pm

mighty,
Just re-read my post which was ambiguous!

Round 2 begins 9.20 a.m., but continuation of the Fowler/Pettersson, Frannie/Gonzo games starts at 9.30 a.m.

Looks like the European Ryder Cup Team has 8 wins (Lawrie, McIlroy, Westwood all lost) plus anything Frannie can squeeze from Gonzo.
Think the U.S. Team was five wins, five losses yesterday, and I can't find trace of Woods having won a Match Play match in his last six efforts, defeats by Watney last year, three thumpings and a draw in the Ryder Cup and now Chuckie.

Some great match-ups today, think I'll follow Sergio and Kuchar, presumably the first out, and catch up with Simpson vs Hanson later on.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:54 pm

Kwini, Do you think a European will take this? Seems to be an American mallaise about the whole tournament.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next