The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Counties v France Amateurs - Fri 22nd Feb ko 19:00 at Ealing Trailfinders RFC, Vallis Way, London W13

2 posters

Go down

England Counties v France Amateurs - Fri 22nd Feb ko 19:00 at Ealing Trailfinders RFC, Vallis Way, London W13 Empty England Counties v France Amateurs - Fri 22nd Feb ko 19:00 at Ealing Trailfinders RFC, Vallis Way, London W13

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 19 Feb 2013, 6:32 pm

OK, with the 6N approaching the pivotal halfway mark this weekend, this article may not draw much interest, but I'm posting it anyway.

Smile

The England Counties squad are drawn predominantly from National League 1, the third tier of English club rugby. All the squad bar Mark George and Will Hurrell of Stourbridge (who are flying high at the top of Nat. 2 North) are from Nat. 1 clubs.

Aside from Wasps I follow Ealing and enjoy the rugby at this level. Very few reset scrums and a willingness from most teams to entertain the crowd.

Having come off second best against an Ireland Club selection, the Counties take on France Amateurs on Friday night in what should be an entertaining game, and a very sociable get together for the fans. Tickets are available on the night at £12.

England Counties

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

England Counties v France Amateurs - Fri 22nd Feb ko 19:00 at Ealing Trailfinders RFC, Vallis Way, London W13 Empty Re: England Counties v France Amateurs - Fri 22nd Feb ko 19:00 at Ealing Trailfinders RFC, Vallis Way, London W13

Post by Coleman Tue 19 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

Good luck to both. Must be fantastic to turn out for your country regardless of level.

Must admit that I am a bit jealous, yet another representative team that we don’t have any more along with an A side. Last time I remember hearing of a Welsh Club XV was when they toured Germany years ago.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

England Counties v France Amateurs - Fri 22nd Feb ko 19:00 at Ealing Trailfinders RFC, Vallis Way, London W13 Empty Re: England Counties v France Amateurs - Fri 22nd Feb ko 19:00 at Ealing Trailfinders RFC, Vallis Way, London W13

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:09 pm

Hi Coleman. Some of us Ealing fans went to the pre-season friendly against Cardiff RFC at the CAP. That was a good game, with Cardiff edging it 17-15 I think. Plus I met up with PenfroPete and Cari in the City Arms before the game Smile

For sure, a combined Welsh Premiership side (which is probably the equivalent level), would do well. However, it all comes down to funding from the union, and it's a shame that the WRU can't/won't even fund an A team.

The Counties had a very good tour of East Africa last year promoting the game there.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:19 pm

Wales used to pick our Am XV from Div 1 downwards, we had a couple of lads make it in to the squad from our club one year and that was the last year it took place I think. It'd be nice for the WRU to see it as a development tool for players who missed the boat with regionalism (Liam Williams being such a player). As you've said with England Counties touring East Africa, it could be used to help lower ranked countries (6 Nations B/C) see where they are in regards to Championship/Div 1 teams in Wales and also be a real cherry for players in the mid tier whilst at the same time giving Prem coaches some players to look at.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 19 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

It is good for players to represent their country at that level. The Irish certainly buy into the concept. Counties haven't beaten them in Ireland in three attempts.

It is more of a benefit to the Welsh, Irish and Scots to give players experience of international representation at that level I would think, given there is no second level of pro rugby in those countries.

By contrast, most of the Counties squad have virtually no chance of a pro contract, and have found their 'level'. However, the experience of international representation is invaluable. Plus the chancce to go on tour Wink

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

Just in case anyone is interested, England Counties beat France Federale 27-7. A good game that was not spoiled by a 15 minute blizzard.

Well played by both teams.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down