The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 Teams in 32 days: New York Giants

5 posters

Go down

32 Teams in 32 days: New York Giants Empty 32 Teams in 32 days: New York Giants

Post by GSC Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Record: 9-7
Offensive Rank: 14th (Passing: 12th, Rushing: 14th)
Defensive Rank: 31st (Passing: 28th, Rushing: 25th)

What went right?

Will Beatty had a good year at LT, Victor Cruz followed up 2011 with a strong 2012. Martellus Bennett was an underrated pickup at TE. David Wilson and Reuben Randle had good moments down the stretch.

What went wrong?
Eli and JPP regressed somewhat, while still good, they couldn't carry this team again. Osi and Tuck were non factors for a 2nd regular season in a row. Teams abused Corey Webster at CB. Nicks and Bradshaw continued a theme of their Giants careers, missing time with injuries.

Prospects for 2013?
Winning the SB last year masked some of the problems with the Giants team. They were pretty similar to the 2011 team, but 9-7 wasn't good enough this year. Some of the fat trimming has begun with a few cap casualties, but the Giants need more an overhaul if they are to take a step forward.

Projected 2013 Draft Pick?
Jerry Reese will stick to BPA with this pick, with his defense needing quite a few new pieces, Manti T'eo has baggage but if he interviews well at the combine, teams won't care unduly.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

32 Teams in 32 days: New York Giants Empty Re: 32 Teams in 32 days: New York Giants

Post by CFCNick Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 pm

The "what went right" points are spot on. Bennett was the perfect fit for a receiving TE. Randle abused the Browns secondary in one of the games Nicks missed and Wilson looks like he has great comeback potential after recovering from a not so good start (insert reenactment of Friday Night Lights with TC taping a ball to Wilson's hands). I don't think Cruz was as hot as 2011 but was certainly a high point.

I hope Nicks gets back to his best and stays healthy. Bradshaw will be missed but his work rate over the last couple of years makes the cut easier on everyone. It's time to let new guys have a chance. Quite looking forward to seeing the Wilson-Brown combination next season.

Webster was made to look like he doesn't belong on a football field by Josh Freeman for crying out loud! Eli and JPP were disappointments. Frustrating after what they showed they're capable of in 2011. We rode our O line in 2011 and they weren't anywhere near as solid in protecting Eli or setting up the run.

With Webster's struggles it's nice to see Prince and Tryon playing well under Corey. Safety is very good for us right now with Rolle, Stevie Brown and Will Hill.

The longer the offseason goes the more I warm to the idea of drafting Te'o. Linebacker is position I want to see Reese, Mara and Tisch go after in this offseason. Whether it be in the draft or free agency. It's always the biggest need every year.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

32 Teams in 32 days: New York Giants Empty Re: 32 Teams in 32 days: New York Giants

Post by asdral225 Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Personally I'm not sold on Bennett at times during the season he seemed to disappear, if the Giants draft the Notre Dame TE Eifert, Bennett may have his playing time reduced, I would like to see the Giants reach an agreement with Bradshaw,unlikely,and bring him back as the third RB behind Brown and Wilson he should stay healthy which will help all three RBs throughout the season. Eli to Cruz worked well at times but I think teams were waiting for this connection so the big play was not always there. Nicks must somehow stay healthy this season if he has a copy of last he may well find himself surplus to requirements. The secondary over the past two seasons did not inspire confidence especially against TEs. The LB position will also need addressing the first draft pick maybe a toss up between Eifert and Te'o.
Yes the Giants "got hot" winning SB 46 and I think the team was waiting for this to happen again!
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm

I have read that Martellus Bennent could be going to the Buccaneers to join his brother. If that is true then Tyler Eifert could be a 1st round target.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:47 pm

What went wrong for the Giants is that halfway through the season, I tipped them to win the Superbowl! I'm the worst tipster on the planet. Sorry Giants fans.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down