The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubai draw published .....

+12
prostaff85
Born Slippy
HM Murdock
lydian
Henman Bill
socal1976
Haddie-nuff
The Special Juan
Calder106
hawkeye
laverfan
lags72
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dubai draw published ..... Empty Dubai draw published .....

Post by lags72 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:18 pm

Hard to see any problems at all for either Djokovic or Federer until 3rd round at very earliest.

Djoko would seem to have only Delpo to cause any serious concern as things progress (unless Rosol decides to put on a show, that is .... Erm )

As defending champ Federer will have to face potential issues with the improving Tomic, and of course with Berdych and Tsonga.

I've obviously missed some news wrt Murray not playing after making last year's Final ..... could someone please remind me why he's giving it a miss this year...?

Last edited by lags72 on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Duplicated word)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Dubai draw published ..... Empty Re: Dubai draw published .....

Post by laverfan Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/495/mds.pdf

@Lags Jaziri can be dangerous. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:57 pm

lags72. The last I heard Murray was talking about how his focus was on the FO. Maybe he's headed down to Acapulco with Rafa to get a little practice on clay?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:59 pm

lags72 wrote:Hard to see any problems at all for either Djokovic or Federer until 3rd round at very earliest.

Djoko would seem to have only Delpo to cause any serious concern as things progress (unless Rosol decides to put on a show, that is .... Erm )

As defending champ Federer will have to face potential issues with the improving Tomic, and of course with Berdych and Tsonga.

I've obviously missed some news wrt Murray not playing after making last year's Final ..... could someone please remind me why he's giving it a miss this year...?

Murray said he wasn't going to play Dubai this year aa far back as October. He is hoping to do better at Indain Wells than he has done over the past few years.

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-10-10/10797.php

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 3:06 pm

Thanks Calder OK

Makes sense I guess in terms of reduced long-haul travel.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

Murray won't admit it but he's injured. I think Djokovic will win the tournament without dropping a set. Who keeps giving him cake ?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 23 Feb 2013, 4:31 pm

Is it gluton free Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 5:19 pm

The one thing I want to see out of this tournament is Djoko v. Fed in the final. That match is just special wherever it is played for whatever stakes. The tension and the unpredictability of the contest. If I get a Djoko v. Fed final with Novak winning. I'd also like to see Tomic improve and see Del PO and Tsonga play to their rankings as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 5:30 pm

Really not sure Fed will make the Final.

But Djoko will.

As the song goes .....Ain't no stopping him now

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

Well I hope he does, I think if Novak stays healthy we may be witnessing Novak 3.0 the serve is looking better than it ever has, I am interested to see if he can maintain it. Interestingly he has been broken 7 times at the AO, 5 of them came in a row against Wawrinka. Against pretty much everyone else he was unbreakable. Dubai is a strange tournament and wind can destroy the matches in that part of the world. I think Djoko should get to the final and fed always plays well here so I would still favor him to come out of his half.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 23 Feb 2013, 6:32 pm

For Federer, a good draw in the first 2 rounds with a qualifer and then a Spaniard on a fast court.

Tomic may not even make the third round (ie quarter final) but if he does he is capable of beating Federer, certainly at a smaller tournament. Federer needs to be 90% for that one, not like he was at Rotterdam.

Djokovic R1 draw is not that great for me. Any R1 draw he should expect to win, but Troicki is not the best. However both the "big two" in this tournament have good quarter final draws, with potential opponents Berdych, Tsonga or Del Potro avoided until the semi.

I don't see Djokovc as (clear) favourite here. Last year I remember it being one of the fastest tournaments all year and probably the only tournament all year where I can remember a significant amount of serve volley being employed by some players regularly, rather than as just a change up tactic. (Maybe Madrid was the only other one of the top tournaments.)

Would make Djokovic favourite against Federer on most surfaces including all the slams but not here. Thoughts?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

When it comes to the crunch and finer margins, Federer's overall game will begin to suffer with the passing years, and there will be evidence on even his preferred surfaces and hitherto best tournaments. Disappointing but inevitable.

I agree with lydian's recent post that this will be his last 'full' year on tour.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:19 pm

Pretty good analysis Henman bill, but djoko has won this tournament I believe 3 times in a row up to last year. He actually plays pretty well on a quick hardcourt, on grass he is not quite as comfortable as on other surfaces. I do see a fed djoko final but I suppose Berdy or Tsonga can upset federer it wouldn't be that surprising, but I would be surpised if Djoko loses before the final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

True, Djoko has won 3 of the last 4. Of course, Federer has won here 5 times to Dkokovic's 3. Then again, that doesn't mean a lot, Djokovic is younger.

Alright, I will make Djoko 55/45 favourite if he plays Fed.

Hm. I wonder how quick it was when Rafa beat Rog. Might go and see if the video is on you tube.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3BgTGHBZzk

A case of Rafa winning a few more big points and Fed not quite dominating enough at the net. Some great shots from Roger but also good passes from Rafa. A missed forehand on set point. Roger won the first set 6-2 before losing 6-4 in the 2nd and 3rd, in both cases after being 4-3 up..

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 24 Feb 2013, 8:58 am

Not a bad draw for the big guns, I expect Djokovic to win and Fed to lose in QF vs Tsonga. In many respects, this Fed's home event so he should certainly feel comfortable around the place.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 24 Feb 2013, 9:50 am

Henman Bill wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3BgTGHBZzk

A case of Rafa winning a few more big points and Fed not quite dominating enough at the net. Some great shots from Roger but also good passes from Rafa. A missed forehand on set point. Roger won the first set 6-2 before losing 6-4 in the 2nd and 3rd, in both cases after being 4-3 up..

Ha ha! That's a very dismissive account of Rafa's win.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:30 am

If Novak were to win, that would be a 27-1 match record since USO. A significant streak.

My hunch however, is that he won't. He starts as favourite of course but I just get a feeling about Del Potro at the moment...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:45 am

The same Del Potro who went down meekly to Simon earlier this week? No. Novak will win it easily.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 24 Feb 2013, 11:39 am

The Special Juan wrote:The same Del Potro who went down meekly to Simon earlier this week? No. Novak will win it easily.
Yeah, poor showing against Simon. He's blowing very hot and cold but I just think BO3 on a fast court, he wouldn't have to blow hot for too long to do some damage. He's my dark horse.

But then he's always my dark horse and rarely justifies that assesment, so who knows?!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 24 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

lydian wrote:Not a bad draw for the big guns, I expect Djokovic to win and Fed to lose in QF vs Tsonga. In many respects, this Fed's home event so he should certainly feel comfortable around the place.

Tsonga isn't in Fed's quarter, so that seems unlikely. I would be very surprised if either Fed or Djokovic lose before the SF. Federer may have it tough in the SF against either Berdy or Tsonga. I don't think Djokovic will have any problem with Del Potro. He is a nightmare match-up for JMDP.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3BgTGHBZzk

Ha ha! That's a very dismissive account of Rafa's win.

Really didn't see it that way myself. In fact HB's brief analysis was straightforward, balanced and realistic, rather than in any way "dismissive"

The match was actually a close-fought affair, as evidenced by the fact that of the 149 points contested Federer actually won more (78) than Nadal's 71. BUT - as HB said - Rafa won a few more of the big points, and that's what counts.

Methinks you're sometimes far too emotional about these things hawkeye. It was a tennis match (and only a 500 at that). Roger lost it, Rafa won it. Simples.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 7:04 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
lydian wrote:Not a bad draw for the big guns, I expect Djokovic to win and Fed to lose in QF vs Tsonga. In many respects, this Fed's home event so he should certainly feel comfortable around the place.

Tsonga isn't in Fed's quarter, so that seems unlikely. I would be very surprised if either Fed or Djokovic lose before the SF. Federer may have it tough in the SF against either Berdy or Tsonga. I don't think Djokovic will have any problem with Del Potro. He is a nightmare match-up for JMDP.

Tsonga has been playing well and in particular has been hitting his backhand much better. I think Jo willie can do some things this year, I think he could step up and have a good season and push for the 5 ranking. I wouldn't be stunned if he upset federer. I agree of course for Del po v. Djoko. Juan usually does not have a good day at the office against Novak.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:11 pm

Tipsy dumped out of Dubai by Davydenko in straights, and with a 1st set bagel to boot .........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

Has Tomic had to retire ......?

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

lags72 wrote:Tipsy dumped out of Dubai by Davydenko in straights, and with a 1st set bagel to boot .........

These old weak era guys like Davydenko, Haas, Nalbandian can still cause some upsets when they happen to be injury-free and having one of their better days!
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm

prostaff85 wrote:
lags72 wrote:Tipsy dumped out of Dubai by Davydenko in straights, and with a 1st set bagel to boot .........

These old weak era guys like Davydenko, Haas, Nalbandian can still cause some upsets when they happen to be injury-free and having one of their better days!

Federer had a rigged draw. What with Tipsy gone, Tomic retired, Granollers (agricultural tennis)/Montanes next? Cakewalk, I say. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 26 Feb 2013, 1:20 pm

Del Potro a set down to Baghdatis. Would be a big surprise if he gets taken out.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

Baggy has a 2-1 H2H Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 26 Feb 2013, 1:37 pm

Baggy is a lovely player to watch, very aggressive and a great ball striker.
If he'd just get himself in top10 shape he'd kill a lot of guys and be regular top10 himself...IMO.
Amazingly he doesn't have a racquet or string deal either, he plays with racquets that aren't made anymore actually (Fischer). It wouldn't surprise me if he beat anyone on his day...troubled Murray at Wimb last year before they went "indoors" IIRC.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

Is that because (or maybe not...) he smashed about six racquets in a row, all within the same match recently ..... Shocked

And I agree lydian, he is great to watch when he's on song, albeit a tad moody when not. The game definitely needs more guys like him.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:24 pm

I'd rather watch Davydenko and Bagdhtatis than Del Potro and Tipsarevic any day. Tipsarevic in the top 10 is a sign of a weak era...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:29 pm

No no no ..... repeat after me hawkeye ...... It's "golden" .... Truly golden.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:30 pm

Truly Golden? A breakfast cereal is called Golden too...

Golden isn't what it used to be Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:46 pm

lydian wrote:Truly Golden? A breakfast cereal is called Golden too...

Golden isn't what it used to be Wink

Silence Wink

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:54 pm

.....until socal comes on-line Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

I meant Silence is Golden music

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

lags72 wrote:No no no ..... repeat after me hawkeye ...... It's "golden" .... Truly golden.

It is much more Golden(er) than it used to be. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

If you say so ......!

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

Oh great! A golden era discussion. I reckon it's more like gold plate... What do others think?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

Do you people have anything interesting to talk about except for my now widely accepted theories. Interesting every tennis journalist in the sport has jumped onto the bandwagon but the federophiliacs have on V2 have a hard time accepting reality. Does anyone care if aaron krickstein or the Janko Tipsarvic's of the world are 2 percent better or worse they don't determine the winners of big trophies. It is very interesting they don't look and examine the success the top guys have had.

By the way in the first set today Djokovic looked absolutely brilliant. He was hitting all manner of shots and troicki was lucky to get a game. Slightly scratchy second set from Djoko but pulled through easily from a very tough matchup for the first round of a 500 pointer.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm

This is what gallileo and Newton must have felt like, giants of their time scoffed at by the midgets of their time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:51 pm

LF, JHM, can you get the three-lettered "e" word placed in the swear filter? It might do my mental well being a world of good.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm

Hahaha....keep 'em coming socal...or is socal merely short for Socrates? Laugh
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:55 pm

lydian wrote:Hahaha....keep 'em coming socal...or is socal merely short for Socrates? Laugh

It is hard to elevate the standard of knowledge and debate and to shatter preconceived notions. I am glad you enjoyed my last post, I don't consider you a midget of our time, more like medium heighted individual to my wilt chamberlain-like stature. Nothing will top Tenez's "my worst student ever" blast though.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 26 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

The Special Juan wrote:LF, JHM, can you get the three-lettered "e" word placed in the swear filter? It might do my mental well being a world of good.

We will try our best, TSJ. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 26 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm

Thanks Very Happy

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Llodra's SS win over JWT yet. 6-4 6-2 is very impressive indeed.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 7:38 pm

Yes LLodra is a player that if he dedicated himself more to singles would probably have a couple of more titles for sure. He is that mythical serve and volleyer than everyone talks about. The conditions suit him pretty well. Tsonga is so inconsistent I don't know how he is going to get his big break and ever think about winning a slam when he loses so often and regularly to players lower ranked than he is.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:10 pm

socal1976 wrote:This is what gallileo and Newton must have felt like, giants of their time scoffed at by the midgets of their time.
Who scoffed at Newton? He was the President of the Royal Society and hugely respected.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:26 pm

And rightly so!
He discovered the law of optics, that white light was actually composed of colours, the laws of motion, the universal law of gravitation and calculus!...................... then he turned 26?!?!!?!? notworthy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next