The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monfils would like the time between points reduced to 10 seconds

5 posters

Go down

Monfils would like the time between points reduced to 10 seconds Empty Monfils would like the time between points reduced to 10 seconds

Post by hawkeye Mon 25 Feb 2013, 6:56 pm

This is what he had to say after being given a time violation penalty under the new rules.

“I think I let down my concentration (after the time violation),” Monfils told reporters. “Because I think I was up 1-0, and as I told the umpire 'I’m fit. I’m not (breathing heavy) at all. And if I’m taking time, it’s because I’m just trying to dry my hands. So actually, it’s not a violation.'”

The Frenchman then added: “It’s a bit tough. We’ve been without it in tennis for a long time and then they give you new rules like this. Actually, I like it because I’m the type of player who plays with his physique. So it’s cool if you have a shorter time to recover, I’m happy with that. … If it’s like 10 seconds, I’d be happier, because I don’t know any players that can run and get back in 10 seconds. I think I’d be one of the best to do that. So I think the umpire has to judge if the guy is really taking time because he’s tired or whatever or he’s taking maybe two or three seconds more because of ball kids or whatever.”

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/02/monfils-time-violations-just-let-me-dry-my-hands/46579/#.USuxmfI-qkw

Ha ha! I know he was joking but it's interesting that he believes the new rule was brought in to stop players getting their breath back. I thought it was to prevent players from being deliberately disruptive.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Monfils would like the time between points reduced to 10 seconds Empty Re: Monfils would like the time between points reduced to 10 seconds

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

Rule 29 c http://www.itftennis.com/media/136148/136148.pdf

"No extra time shall be given to allow a player to recover condition."

That rule (29 c) has not changed.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Monfils would like the time between points reduced to 10 seconds Empty Re: Monfils would like the time between points reduced to 10 seconds

Post by hawkeye Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:01 pm

Julius. Was that directed at Gail? I'm not sure he reads 606v2... or if he does he is either very shy or posts under a different username. Maybe you should try and contact him some other way?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm

hawkeye wrote:Julius. Was that directed at Gail? I'm not sure he reads 606v2... or if he does he is either very shy or posts under a different username. Maybe you should try and contact him some other way?

I tried, but ended up speaking to some woman - Gail Monfils

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

I'm loving how this new treatment of the unchanged rule will influence tennis.

Just a pity they didn't do it years ago.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

"new treatment of the unchanged rule"

Ah. Is that an example of 606v2 (1984) doublespeak?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:46 am

hawkeye wrote:"new treatment of the unchanged rule"

Ah. Is that an example of 606v2 (1984) doublespeak?
Quite the reverse actually, it's literal fact. It's yourself who tries repeatedly to misrepresent the new punishment as a new rule.

Thanks for bringing the subject up though, always useful to remind members of the reality.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 26 Feb 2013, 7:01 pm

It would be funny if Rafa just decided tomorrow that he was perfectly happy with the 'new rule' after all and Murray just so happened to complain that it actually ruins his chances and was really unhappy.

The threads we'd see on here would be hilarious.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:20 pm

Ha ha! If Rafa pronounced that white was white there would be an out cry against his outlandish statement (here). If Murray said that white was black many would say that they thought that white had always looked a little on the dark side to them...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:26 pm

djlovesyou wrote:It would be funny if Rafa just decided tomorrow that he was perfectly happy with the 'new rule' after all and Murray just so happened to complain that it actually ruins his chances and was really unhappy.

The threads we'd see on here would be hilarious.

Hawkeye will then make a hero out of the rule laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down