The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Draft is over.

+12
Pr4wn
Colan (niner)
AdZacO
Leedscowboys
twelve283
crazy_dave23
arizona_tom
AquaArab
Lets Go Buffalo
simonhufc
The Mangler US_UK
Derbyblue
16 posters

Go down

The Draft is over. Empty The Draft is over.

Post by Derbyblue Sun May 01, 2011 12:45 am

Well the 2011 Draft is now over, with Mr Irrelevant being; Cheta Ozougwu, DE, Rice, taken by the Texans with pick number 254.

How happy are you with your teams draft? Are there any players in particular available at the time you wish your team would have taken?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

The Draft is over. Empty Re: The Draft is over.

Post by The Mangler US_UK Sun May 01, 2011 9:54 am

I'm happy with the Cards' draft. Football experts seem to think that the first four we took could conceivably start as rookies. I'm nervous that we don't have a decent QB and part of me wonders how good Gabbert or Locker will turn out to be.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by simonhufc Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 am

Not happy with the Chargers draft. Only one player who could start and that's Luiget but he's a bit small to start at 3 4 DE. seem to adress with special teams with about 5 picks, was a stupid draft

simonhufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lets Go Buffalo Sun May 01, 2011 11:56 am

Very happy with the Bills draft. I wish we'd taken a shot on Ryan Mallett but I appreciate that Nix and Gailey didn't like him. With the two QBs they actually liked (Newton and Ponder) gone early it was good to see them focus on building the defence. I honestly believe we may turn out to have one of the steals of round 7 with NT Michael Jasper.

We must however ensure that we sign up a relaible vet as back up QB to Fitz when FA opens up.

Last edited by Lets Go Buffalo on Sun May 01, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lets Go Buffalo
Lets Go Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaArab Sun May 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Pretty happy with the Dolphins draft. Our first the drafts will probably all be starters next season. We addressed all the positions we needed cover for other than QB. Looks like we will be taking care of that in free agency or trading for somebody like Kolb. Hoping we can get DeAngelo Williams in free agency as well as he is keen to join the Fins that would give us a pretty good running core.

AquaArab

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Sun May 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Very happy with the cards draft other than the pick in the 2nd with taking the rb over ayers, but i guess we could do with help at rb. Our 6th round linebacker was meant to be a 3rd round pick so im quite happy with that if they can sort out his offthe field baggage. And peterson will make a big impact on the secondary straight away so overall id give them a B

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm pretty happy with the Packers draft.

Lions obviously boosted their D-line and I think they will pose questions in the division this year. As such, taking Sherrod in round one was probably the better move (as opposed to Ayers or Brooks Reed) because it sure's up the O-line and provides the replacement for Chad Clifton. Was sometimes listed as going at 22 to the Colts, so definitely provided value.

I wouldn't necessarily have taken Randal Cobb in Rd 2, but thats because I would have waited an extra round to pick a receiver, but he was good value. Like his versatility and the fact he is more of a natural slot type receiver, whereas Nelson's physique seems more suited to moving ahead of Driver at the #2 receiver. Also can return kicks... the Packers can't currently do that!

Alex Green in Rd 3... he has production at Hawaii (but everyone does). I like the way he can catch the ball out of the backfield (not Grant or Starks' strong points) making him a replacement for Brandon Jackson who is out of contract. I didn't watch the 3rd round, so without spending ages looking up the picks I can't tell the value at other areas, but I was relatively low on this pick.

I like Davon House in Rd 4. Needed a corner at some point, had seen this guy go higher than the 4th and the write ups say that he suits our system of playing press coverage on the outside.

Beyond that, surprised at taking 2 tight ends. I've now read that DJ Williams is more of a FB/H-Back/TE crossover, which makes a little more sense given our use of full backs. He's won some awards, probably kicks Donald Lee out of town and possibly shows some nerves in Titletown over how expensive it may be to renew Finley's contract after the year or whether Tom Crabtree or Andrew Quarless are long term players.
Picked up another O-lineman, a linebacker, and some depth for the D-line. We will see how they pan out, but we seem to have covered our needs and got some good value.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun May 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Thoughts on the NEP draft:

#17: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
High upside player who is very similar to Sebastian Vollmer, massive 6’8, 320lbs frame with long arms, outstanding athlete for his size and is also a converted tight end. He’s a little bit rawer than Vollmer was but has as much, if not more, upside. He also gives us some leverage and flexibility with current LT Matt Light who is a free agent. Would have preferred to get him a little later in the first because of the development needed and the risk attached to that.

#33: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Physical corner who at 6’1, 205lbs is a little bit bigger than our usual targets at DB but that’s not a bad thing with the WR’s in our division. He has all the traits that we look for in a DB, good tackler and willing to come up and make tackles vs. the run and good enough ball skills that he could project to FS if required. Was touted as a first round selection last year but injuries hurt his stock so this is a good value pick IMO.

#56: Shane Vereen, RB, California
Questionable value at this point in the draft but his skill set fits nicely with what we like to do. He has the ability to be a 3 down back for us and contribute on special teams. He can catch out of the backfield and pick up the blitz so he should be a factor in the pass game as well as the run.

#73: Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
I can understand the need to add depth at the position with Faulk, Morris and Taylor all being free agents this season but I don’t believe for a second that we couldn’t have got him or a similar calibre RB at a later point in the draft. He’s a bigger back who is similar to Morris who can be used in short yardage situations where he can use his strength to run between the tackles.

#74: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
I have no problem with this pick as the value at this point is too good to pass up. Most pro ready passer in the draft without question and he comes from a system at Arkansas that uses a lot of pro style concepts. Not the most mobile of QBs but if he can learn the art of sliding in the pocket from one of the best then we have a good enough OL to keep him clean. Completion percentage improved each year as did his YPA.

#138: Marcus Cannon, OG, TCU
Most confusing pick of the draft as at 6’5, 350lbs he’s far from the usual 6’4, 310-320lbs OGs that we usually covet. IMO it was just a case of the risk and reward curves intersected at this point and he drafted him based on that value, as he was projected as a second round talent. Listening to the post draft press conference I’ not sure if BB knows where or how he’s going to use him yet but RG seems the most obvious projection and there might be a plan to have Cannon shed 20-30lbs. Hopefully everything goes well with his treatment.

#159: Lee Smith, TE, Marshall
Best blocking tight end in the draft according to a number of sources who could be a replacement for Alge Crumpler who is a free agent at the end of this season. Also has some ability to long snap.

#194: Markell Carter, LB, Central Arkansas
Late round developmental prospect who meets the requirements for our OLBs in terms of size and length at 6’4, 252lbs with 34.5” arms. He also ran a 4.7 40 yard dash at his pro day. Will also be able to compete on special teams.

#219: Malcolm Williams, CB, TCU
Don’t really know too much about him as he didn’t play much at TCU but is likely a special teams guy brought in to provide competition.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sun May 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Dont worry about Cannon losing weight too much as he plays his weight well, might only need to lose 10-15lbs very strong OL who played LT for TCU and projects as RT/OG very aggressive.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Sun May 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Cannon is an interesting one. He fell due to the medics finding out he had cancer, Hodgkin's lymphoma i beleive, at the combine. Don't know what stage or type it was, but I'm sure that he is still risky due to that.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun May 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Leedscowboys wrote:Dont worry about Cannon losing weight too much as he plays his weight well, might only need to lose 10-15lbs very strong OL who played LT for TCU and projects as RT/OG very aggressive.

It’ll be interesting to see what the plan is for him and how we use him but I still think it’s likely that the value of getting someone with his talents in the 5th round was too much to overlook, despite him not being our standard type of OG. I had a chance to watch TCU a couple of times but I was primarily looking at Dalton and Cannon wasn’t really on my radar for the pats. He does play his weight well and he’s got good enough feet to play tackle in college so he should have no problem transitioning inside to guard. He’s not particularly quick off the snap though and that’s going to limit his ability to pull and get out to the second level, which is something we ask of our linemen, so dropping some weight could be a necessity plus it will help his flexibility and as well.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun May 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Im happy with the 49ers picks

1 Aldon Smith will develop into quality pass rusher, only a redshirt
2 the qb from nevada, i'm really happy about, some say its a reach , he is going to be great under harbaugh next year
3 Dont know much about culliver , read he is a return man and good db, he looks like a tank for a guy at 199lbs, fangio will use this guy like woodson and at nickel
4 the halfback hunter here is great value, should have been a second rounder, great ability
5 small school tackle who will shift inside
6 ronald johnson has 3rd round value, he has the the abilty to do what mike williams did last year, trust me, rookie of the year , dont hold me to that
7 another tackle to move inside, and from what i can see an instinctive db

Grade-B

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon May 02, 2011 12:19 am

It may shock you, but I'm pretty happy with the Bucs draft. I've totally cooled off over the whole Clayborn thing. Guy has a superb attitude and he's certainly an upgrade over anything we have right now. For captain at Iowa.

Getting Bowers at 51 is the steal of the draft imo. If his kneee can check out we have a future pro-bowler taken in the second round. He also has a very positive attitude and was a captain at Clemson.

Mason Foster looks to be a good LB. Second most tackles in all of college football last season and he can make plays. He has a nose for the ball.

I also like the Luke Stocker pick. He's a very good TE. Good size, strength and hands. He'll play primarily as a blocker in 2 TE sets but I think Raheem has big plans for him.

Ahmad black was a bargain in the 5th. He's a little undersized but he's a hawk and he can also contribute big time on special teams.

Overall, dead chuffed really. With a fit Bowers, Clayborn, Price and McCoy, we have a line to be feared on defense.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am

Pr4wn wrote:It may shock you, but I'm pretty happy with the Bucs draft. I've totally cooled off over the whole Clayborn thing. Guy has a superb attitude and he's certainly an upgrade over anything we have right now. For captain at Iowa.
You have no idea how disappointed I am to be reading that sentence.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 am

Derbyblue wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:It may shock you, but I'm pretty happy with the Bucs draft. I've totally cooled off over the whole Clayborn thing. Guy has a superb attitude and he's certainly an upgrade over anything we have right now. For captain at Iowa.

Yeah I was kinda looking forward to a big ranting article, showing your mental downfall pr4wn.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon May 02, 2011 1:50 am

AdZacO wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Yeah I was kinda looking forward to a big ranting article, showing your mental downfall pr4wn.
That was the reaction I was hoping for from Pr4wn when I decided to start this topic, but instead he's suddenly happy with the Bucs taking Clayborn, such a shame.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 am

Derbyblue wrote:
AdZacO wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

That was the reaction I was hoping for from Pr4wn when I decided to start this topic, but instead he's suddenly happy with the Bucs taking Clayborn, such a shame.

I continue the distinct disappointment at lack of a Buccaneer rant!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon May 02, 2011 10:50 am

Well, deal with it 8)

I think you'll all agree that from a fan's perspective, this draft was a success for the Bucs. A total steal in round 2 and some solid players in the lower rounds.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 am

A total steal, as long as his knee isn't as bad as everyone believes hence he dropped to you in round 2.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 am

Agreed! I was looking forward to an article by Pr4wn "100 players we should have taken instead of Clayborn" In all seriousness if Bowers becomes what he was projected as before the injury, then Clayborn is one hell of a defensive end to have at the other side.

For the 49ers
Love the Aldon Smith pick, especially when I was expecting Gabbert to be the pick. We need a pass rusher and although I love Robert Quinn, I can see why Smith is the better fit for our 3-4. Only other possible pick for me would have been Amukamara, but as he fell to the 19th pick I am guessing there are some red flags. Disappointed that Peterson didn't make it to us or would have wanted him.

Have seen quite a bit of Kaepernick, and think he has all the tools to be special, big arm, good size and can run the ball well. He will need a lot of work and I am happy that we look to have resigned Alex Smith for this year, Harbaugh could be the coach to help him shine.

Don't know anything about the CB we took in the 3rd, but we needed a corner so a fair pick. I like that we took Kendall Hunter, Gore has been injury prone in the past and Glen Coffee retired. Hunter is a good pass catcher so should be a replacement for Westbrook

Only other player I know anything of is Ronald Johnson, he was fairly highly recruited a couple years ago so hopefully some talent there.

Overall I am pretty happy, filled the big 3 needs with the first 3 picks so would grade the draft as B

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Mon May 02, 2011 11:43 am

Pr4wn's dismay on Thursday night was one of my sporting highlights of the year so far. That along with the reactions of everyone to the selections of Locker and Ponder.

I think the Packers did well in the draft this year. Obviously we don't need too many immediate starters but we added good depth in a couple of positions.

I had Derek Sherrod going earlier than the last pick of the first round and of the players left I think he was the best fit. Has the possibility of spending his first year learning from our current OL and playing a few games to get up to speed, after that could be a starter for many years.

Randall Cobb offers something different amongst our current wide receivers and should bring to an end James Jones' time in Green Bay. Although he was capable of some incredible catches I won't be too sad to see him go. He also offers something in the return game which is something the Packers seem to have ignored for far too long.

Alex Green I feel has been brought in to offer some competition to Grant and Starks, given they both have a history of injuries seems sensible to have depth here.

DJ Williams seems like the ideal Packers player having been named the most inspirational player in college football. He's obviously talented and with no guarantee how Finley will play once he returns and with Donald Lee having already gone this is another sensible choice.

I think some of our later players will probably start out on special teams (another area of need) and see how they develop. All in all reasonably happy, you won't find too many Packers fans questioning Ted Thompson's picks.

Final note, thanks to Pr4wn for organising the Chat Box on Thursday, was great fun. Already looking forward to doing it all again next year.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm

bambamwillis wrote:Only other possible pick for me would have been Amukamara, but as he fell to the 19th pick I am guessing there are some red flags. Disappointed that Peterson didn't make it to us or would have wanted him.
Wasn't one of the big red flags around Amumkamara the number of yellow flags people expect to be getting thrown his way?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah i heard something like that, also his lack of interceptions but considering he was hardly targeted thats to be expected. still think he will be a very good corner in the nfl

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm

bambamwillis wrote:Yeah i heard something like that, also his lack of interceptions but considering he was hardly targeted thats to be expected. still think he will be a very good corner in the nfl

I don't know about that, he had alot of passes breakups. Had more of them than Peterson had INTs and Pass breakups combined. Was thrown at 52 times only 18 completed though. He is good, just wont cause many turn overs.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Gmen Mon May 02, 2011 3:40 pm

The Giants had another top draft. I love what Jerry Reese does. He knows he has to re-tool the OL and LB corps but he values depth in the roster over need and adds the greatest possible value when available. Case in point- Prince Amukamara. The Giants don't have a need at secondary as they do with the rest of the roster but to have a projected top-10 guy fall into your lap at 19 is too good to pass up.

My favorite picks and possible big steal? Austin in the second round. Remember, this guys was the number 1 rated DT coming out of high-school and prior to being suspended (actuall kicked off the team) his final year, was also projected to be a top 10 guy in the draft. Unbelievable! This guy is a beast with a nasty streak who will have Tuck and Umenyiora/JPP as his book ends. Scary!

I know nothing of Jerrigans, our third pick, but I have read that he is a speedster with great change of direction ability and is projected to be vying for our punt return position. We definitely need help in that position.

I posted in the '2nd round' post board that I would like 3 choices for LB- I got one of them- Greg Jones out of Michigan State in the 6th round. Man, what a steal for a projected second round LB. Granted, he's small for the type of LB needed to play the Tampa 2 that the Giants play, but he's tackling machine.

High grade in this draft for Jerry Reese.

Gmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil_Caine Tue May 03, 2011 9:52 am

I’m pretty happy with what the Bengals did this year.
The pick of A.J Green was expected and although i did fear we might go Gabbert, i’m very happy we went with Green and got the best receiver in the draft and possibly the best offensive player overall.

I was more of a Mallett fan than Dalton and was a bit disappointed we didn’t go in that direction. I’m obviously a Dalton fan now and it’s good to see we didn’t reach or even have to trade up for him. Would like to bring in a vet for him to learn from as i’m not sure he’s ready to start and there is no one currently on roster who could mentor him.

Dontay Moch ran the fastest 40 for a LB at the combine and is very raw, can see him being used on 3rd downs but he’s a project.

Needed interior o-line help and Clint Boling adds that, could be a starter from day one at LG.

Robert Sands will add some depth at Safety which is a big area of weakness, must of our other safeties are more suited to FS.

Ryan Whalen WR, Korey Lindsey CB, Jay Finley RB Never heard of any of these guys so hopefully one can be a pleasant surprise.

Would have liked to have picked up a RB a bit earlier but on the whole it’s a solid draft.

Virgil_Caine

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun May 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Some news: The Steelers and Redskins had a deal in place for a trade if Mike Pouncey managed to make it past the Dolphins at 15.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Sun May 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Shanahan really was a trading down monster. I liked it as we are really in a rebuild moment. Any details in what they would of given up out of interest

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun May 15, 2011 1:17 pm

I'll get on twitter to try to find out for you. I've asked Albert Breer and Jason La Canfora (they've been talking about it) if they know what the Steelers would have given up for the pick.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Sun May 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Curious as when the falcons took our 21st pick they gave us two high 2nds and a 5th i think. That was 3 drafts ago. But then what would steelers give? their first and second wouldnt match i dont think.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down