The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semis are set and very mouth watering

+10
LuvSports!
hawkeye
invisiblecoolers
The Special Juan
lydian
Henman Bill
Chydremion
Danny_1982
User 774433
socal1976
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Semis are set and very mouth watering Empty Semis are set and very mouth watering

Post by socal1976 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

Lets hope that the matches are a bit more interesting and close in the semis and finals as now the big boys play for all the chips. This is about the best we could hope for with the sole upset of Tsonga early on and no Murray or Nadal. But I think we are in for a treat. I think JMDP and Djoko final will be straight sets for Novak. As well as Juan has been playing Novak has been sensational so far this year and really back to the end of last year. He has now won his last 16 matches. I just think he will be too much for Juan, Novak can get and Del Po's second serve which isn't a poor second delivery when Novak isn't the one returning it. Additionally the superior variety, speed, and angles Novak can get will be too much for the big man. Right now no one can test your ability to cover the whole court like Djokovic and both defend you and make you work just as hard on the defensive end chasing his shots. Hopefully, Del Po makes it a tough 3 setter but I think he loses in two close sets.

Berdych and federer this is really a tough semi as well. I am going with Federer against Tomas. I think Berdy is good enough and will like the speed of the court but Roger is starting to get into the tournament and his shots are starting to flow. I don't see him losing before the final this week as well. His serve and knifing slice play really well on this court. Plus look out for windy conditions, then Roger would be a huge favorite because Berdy is just a very poor wind player. Roger in 3 sets.

Final Prediction: Novak beats Roger in straights in two close sets.

Lets have your picks!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Semis are set and very mouth watering Empty Re: Semis are set and very mouth watering

Post by User 774433 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 7:01 pm

I have to agree, the semis do look quite exciting this week.
Ferrer-Fognini will be an absolute blockbuster in Mexico.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Semis are set and very mouth watering Empty Re: Semis are set and very mouth watering

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:I have to agree, the semis do look quite exciting this week.

Laugh

That is a box office match up IMBL.

As for the other tourney, I think Novak will beat Delpo in 2 tight sets and I'm going to go for Berdy to beat Roger. I don't think Roger is that switched on for non masters or slams, so I think it's a good time for Berdy to meet him.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

Look out for the wind, Dubai is very gusty if it get like that Danny I can't see Berdych and his fragile temperment and high serve toss dealing with it very effectively.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:17 pm

I hope Roger spanks the big gay-lord. If I ever have to see that Berdych celebration again, I'll have to dig a pit and burry my head in it.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm

gaylord? none of that smut, thank you.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

Wow, just looked at the results in Dubai. I'd challenge anyone to find a more one sided set of quarter finals!

6-0 6-3
6-4 6-2
6-3 6-2
6-2 6-2

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:31 pm

Just what I thought HB, quite bizarre.
Berdych is going to be real test for Federer no doubt though...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:37 pm

It's not that bizarre when you look at the winners and their opponents.

Del Potro v Brands - Brands is just (just) inside the top 100.
Berdych v Tursunov - How old is Dimitri these days?
Djokovic v Seppi - No comment necessary.
Federer v Davydenko - Davy's best days are behind him, plus The Fed is on arguably one of his best surfaces.

Novak will win the tournament so unfortunately for me, he'll beat DelPo. My gut actually says Berdych will beat Federer but it's probably split 60-40 in favour of the great man.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:40 pm

Agree with all those well made points TSJ.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:46 pm

BTW, in Acapulco Nadal said after his 60 64 win...

"For the last three days, the feeling [in the knee] is so much better. I'm able to compete with a fairly acceptable condition, something that I didn't feel in Chile or Sao Paulo. It's a big improvement for me, it gives me hope and motivation to keep on going. The first set was very, very good, perhaps the best one in the tour so far. I'm really happy with the way that I competed in that first set. In the second one I got a little bit tired and it was an even match before he made some mistakes for me to win it."
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:57 pm

Slight amendment to my above post. Dmitry's only 30!! He's been around forever.

I'm really looking forward to the probable Nadal v Ferrer final. If Daveed loses that match........
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 28 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm

You have to feel Daveeeeeed would be the favourite on this occasion, Nadal saying he's getting tired by 2nd sets shows just how far short of full match fitness he is yet.

Agree about Tursunov. Always sounds so Russian and yet has a full on American accent. He's so up and down in his results though...one minute he's playing Challengers the next semis of a 500.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 28 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:I have to agree, the semis do look quite exciting this week.

laughing

Might Ferrer express ran through Fognini.

I guess JMDP will bring his A-game like in Olympics and that will be too much for Djoko to handle censored

Berdych to win in 3, so JMDP vs berdy finals and Del boy to win the title. angel

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 10:30 pm

lydian wrote:BTW, in Acapulco Nadal said after his 60 64 win...

"For the last three days, the feeling [in the knee] is so much better. I'm able to compete with a fairly acceptable condition, something that I didn't feel in Chile or Sao Paulo. It's a big improvement for me, it gives me hope and motivation to keep on going. The first set was very, very good, perhaps the best one in the tour so far. I'm really happy with the way that I competed in that first set. In the second one I got a little bit tired and it was an even match before he made some mistakes for me to win it."

On a side note I am pretty impressed with Nadal on his comeback trail. Lost in all this talk about his demise is that he is actually playing pretty well and start to round into shape at a very rapid pace. I think with all the rest and all the clay court work he is going to get before the FO he will be a fearsome top contender for that title again.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 10:33 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Wow, just looked at the results in Dubai. I'd challenge anyone to find a more one sided set of quarter finals!

6-0 6-3
6-4 6-2
6-3 6-2
6-2 6-2

So far another dubai snoozefest lets hope a great semi and final matches save this thing. Along with Cincy one of the dullest affairs in the calendar usually. I don't know if it is the court or the wind or both or that the top players go but aren't that bothered if they win it or lose it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 28 Feb 2013, 10:38 pm

The sem's don't look that exciting but both finals (Dubai and Acapulco) have the potential to look very exciting...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 28 Feb 2013, 11:26 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:

laughing

They haven't played yet, the ferrer express ran through lorenzi.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:22 am

LuvSports! wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

laughing

They haven't played yet, the ferrer express ran through lorenzi.

My bad notworthy , all these Lorenzi /Fognini looks same picard

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:07 am

I see Almugro's lived up to his name. How can the world number (12? 13?) lose to a guy who's been out for over half a year in his third tournament back??

(If anyone says "Weak era", you are no longer my friend Wink )
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

Because KNEEDULL is the GOAT.

Only kidding, but Nadal played really well last night. Moving well.
But Ferrer a huge test, i dont think he can beat ferrer.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:18 am

The Ferrer match up will really tell us where Rafa is. Of course if Rafa could have chosen his first match against a top 6 player he'd probably have chosen Ferrer... But still, if he beats him it'd be a pretty big statement.

Personally I never imagined Rafa would look this good in his first few tournaments.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:32 am

The Special Juan wrote:I see Almugro's lived up to his name. How can the world number (12? 13?) lose to a guy who's been out for over half a year in his third tournament back??

(If anyone says "Weak era", you are no longer my friend Wink )

I think Nico has a mental block when it comes to playing Rafa... they are a good match up and know each other´s game very well. Doubtless Nico really must have believed that this was his chance to make a break through. Though I confess I never saw the match ..dont be too quick to underestimate the King.. he is building his confidence match by match. Yes the match against Ferrer will be the ultimate test for Rafa but I believe he can do it.. what is more Ferrer may pay just that little too much respect.. he himself had a tough match against Foggo and I thought he looked tired in his interview.. so various factors may well come into play.. but my money is on Rafa to win this the hunger is back even if the knee isnt Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:07 pm

Is this the tournament thread for Dubai? Let's see if Tomas can beat the odds. Do not see it happening myself but it would be so much nicer because of it if it did happen.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Of course if Rafa could have chosen his first match against a top 6 player he'd probably have chosen Ferrer...

By going South America he sort of chose it to be Ferrer.

Danny_1982 wrote:Personally I never imagined Rafa would look this good in his first few tournaments.
I, on the other hand, expected him to do even better than he has done so far. One way or another, it looks like he is improving, so let's hope he will be near his best (as I think he will) come Euro clay season and RG.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm

Watching Nico fall apart yesterday despite all his efforts was strange. Mental toughness or lack thereof was clearly visible.

The missed FH DTL at SP in the first set was terrible from Nico. He could have played one extra shot and ensured the set, but all his 12 titles are on clay. chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

Come on Berdy, knock his lights out.

And Berdy brakes the Joker, what a point.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

Berdych breaks! Nole a bit lackluster so far.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

laverfan wrote:Watching Nico fall apart yesterday despite all his efforts was strange.
Did not see the match, but I would think watching Nico fall apart would not be strange. He fell apart admirably the last time I watched him at the AO.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:49 pm

Nole breaks back, but what a silly mistake from Tomas. Great shot to set the volley up and than that, oh dear.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

laughing Berdbrain. Come on Novak! Bagel him at least.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

...and Tomas gives up the set with a double. How appropriate.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:51 pm

Any ideas when the draw for IW is?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:29 pm

Well Berdy certainly tanked mentally he had 2 absolute sitters late in sets that opened the door for Djokovic at the end of each set. And double faulting on set point in the first set as well. In the end Berdych has no belief against Djokovic. For 90 percent of the match he played well enough to win, and then just choked at the end of sets.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:14 am

Amri, staying late or waking up early (I am assuming you are watching)?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:16 am

Two 500 level tourneys being played and this place has been awfully quiet.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:17 am

SJ, will the 606v2 tour continue with Indian Wells?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:21 am

I know summmerblues, I think many in the fed fans are in mourning or something. Not a lot of activity. I have to say that Dubai despite the Novak win always seems to be a dull and neutered tournament for the field that shows up to play.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:21 am

Rafa breaks right away. Double bagel perhaps?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:24 am

socal1976 wrote:I have to say that Dubai despite the Novak win always seems to be a dull and neutered tournament
To me Dubai is quite ok, it normally gets about as much attention as a 500 tourney should, maybe even more. But these boards are dead these days. Maybe you are right, with Fed inching towards retirement the boards will largely shut down. Sad I hope not.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:31 am

3:0 with two breaks. One quarter of the way towards a double bagel.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:34 am

summerblues wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I have to say that Dubai despite the Novak win always seems to be a dull and neutered tournament
To me Dubai is quite ok, it normally gets about as much attention as a 500 tourney should, maybe even more. But these boards are dead these days. Maybe you are right, with Fed inching towards retirement the boards will largely shut down. Sad I hope not.

You can always chat with me about weak era/golden era theory and the splendor of Djokovic summer, I know that will brighten your day and give you hope for the future.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:41 am

socal1976 wrote:You can always chat with me about weak era/golden era theory and the splendor of Djokovic summer, I know that will brighten your day and give you hope for the future.
Hehe, we did chat about the eras last week. I kind of left it unfinished. That is partly because I do not feel like getting too deep into that discussion, given that at the end of the day I don't really disagree with you all that much.

Let's wait to see that splendor, but I have to admit I have been quite impressed with his results since pretty much right after the Olympics.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:41 am

5:0, we are merrily progressing towards the inevitable...

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:46 am

Surely this will be a double bagel unless Rafa starts feeling sorry for little David.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:48 am

Yes he is rounding into shape, Murray is still there although he is taking a bit of a long break after the AO maybe the hamstring that showed up at the end of the match was a bit more serious then we where let on to believe. 13-0 in his last 13 matches against the top ten, in my book that is pretty splendiferous.

I am glad that you see the light on the weak era, funny you always argue with me but pretty much agree with the main points of my thesis. Another adherent to the socal school of thought a dangerous new school of tennis thought that requires large consumption of alcohol as part of the initiation rituals, preferrably scotch.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:50 am

All that moaning about the end of Nadal seems to be pretty misplaced and comical right now. As usual nostrafreakingdamus predicted that as one of th Rolls royces of this era Nadal would return to triumphant domination. I hope he wins everything on clay up till RG where he will face hopefully the best version of Djokovic and have it taken away, that way there will be no excuses.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:52 am

...and we open the second set with another break. Still very much on track...

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:57 am

socal1976 wrote:that way there will be no excuses.
You sure about that?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:01 am

I had no doubt that Nadal would be great and rather quickly, he is a fish on water on the clay summerblues, and frankly whether excuses are made or not isn't a big deal to me. I think Novak is going to take RG, he is starting to look very good out there and at his best he is good enough to beat any player on any surface and that includes Nadal on clay.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next