The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian Wells Day 9 (MOTD: Murray vs Del Potro)

+38
yellowgoatboy
break_in_the_fifth
barrystar
TRuffin
Josiah Maiestas
Chydremion
Jeremy_Kyle
Dave.
sirfredperry
CaledonianCraig
Cogen
Jahu
CAS
bogbrush
Henman Bill
The Special Juan
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
User 774433
invisiblecoolers
Mad for Chelsea
HM Murdock
lags72
prostaff85
YvonneT
carrieg4
summerblues
kingraf
Haddie-nuff
quietplease
hawkeye
Danny_1982
laverfan
LuvSports!
Born Slippy
lydian
ryan86
Silver
42 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Indian Wells Day 9 (MOTD: Murray vs Del Potro) Empty Indian Wells Day 9 (MOTD: Murray vs Del Potro)

Post by Silver Thu 7 Mar - 22:46

It's time for the first MS1000 of the year! Red and I will be updating the opening post each day with previews of matches that catch the eye, as well as completed results and draws once the tournament moves along a little. If anyone wants to contribute, please do shoot one of us a PM!

96 players are in action with 32 seeds getting a bye into the second round, meaning that as Cogen highlighted, this is the first event since Wimbledon 2011 (at least) where all of the top players in the world are in action. A few of the narratives are the possibility that Federer could be overhauled by Murray at #2, Djokovic looking to continue his unbeaten start to the season, Nadal's triumphant return to hard courts, and numerous other players in reasonable nick - can they challenge for the title, or at least create a few upsets?

Prize: A cool $1 million ($5.4 million purse), and the invaluable 1000 ranking points.
Defending champion is Roger Federer, who defeated John Isner in the 2012 final.
Updated draw on the ATP site.

Preview from Red:

Andy Murray vs Juan Martin Del Potro

Andy Murray is on the hunt for his maiden Indian Wells title. He has reached the quarter final here, for the first time since he reached the final in 2009, but has a tough task to complete if he is to get his hands on the trophy. He is up against Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro in the quarters today, and if he gets through that he can potentially face Djokovic and Nadal in the next two rounds. In his Round 4 match Murray was not at his best, and looked irritated at the end of his tight 2 set win against Berlocq. Berlocq complained that Murray was taking too long between points, Murray complained that Berlocq was grunting too loudly, and well... I think Berlocq is not on Andy's Christmas card list anymore. With the world number 2 ranking potentially on the line if he reaches the final, Murray fans will be hoping a dismissal of Del Potro will help lighten his mood.

Juan Martin Del Potro has never won a Masters 100 title before. Will this be the week he breaks his duck? He has been on good form so far this tournament, an improvement to his relatively mediocre start to 2013. However he has not yet been tested, and with all respects to Bjorn Phau, a fixture against Andy Murray will be a real step up. In Dubai Del Potro tested Djokovic in both sets, but mentally let himself down in the key moments. Will the same happen here against the Scot? The Argentinian's record against Murray isn't great, and he will have to raise his game if he wants to have a chance of winning.

Key Tactics: Murray has a convincing 5-1 lead over Del Potro in the H2H, with Juan's only win coming on clay in 2009. Murray won the last two matches these two played (also both in 2009), and he will fancy himself to continue this run of wins and extend it today. For Del Potro to win, he must be extremely aggressive, in longer rallies Murray will coast. The higher bounce of the surface should suit Del Potro, as Murray's tactic of the low slice which has worked so well against him will be negated. Thus the onus is on Del Potro to force the play, and big serving and aggressive hitting will be his only chance of winning.

Predictions: I think Murray has too much variety and nous for Del Potro, I see the 2012 USO champion winning in straight sets: 6-3 6-4.

Last edited by Silver on Fri 15 Mar - 22:38; edited 51 times in total

Silver

Back to top Go down

Indian Wells Day 9 (MOTD: Murray vs Del Potro) Empty Re: Indian Wells Day 9 (MOTD: Murray vs Del Potro)

Post by The Special Juan Thu 7 Mar - 22:51

Thanks OK
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Indian Wells Day 9 (MOTD: Murray vs Del Potro) Empty Re: Indian Wells Day 9 (MOTD: Murray vs Del Potro)

Post by socal1976 Thu 7 Mar - 22:52

I can't wait for the second round although the tomic win the first round is pretty nice I am really looking forward to Tomic v. Gazza in the first round and of course Foggy v. Djoko the battle that should of occurred at RG 2011 taking place. I actually think Foggy has the ability to trouble Novak. I picked murray and I am sticking with it because I feel he will be the most well rested and the hungriest of the top guys to claim this title as he can advance from his #3 ranking to #2, one more step to his ultimate goal of #1.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu 7 Mar - 23:01

Oh no, Granollers has been mentioned. Cue posts about agricultural tennis.

I've put Berdych down for a final loss, though against Murray. With the top 32 missing at the moment, it does feel slightly like the calm before the storm.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 7 Mar - 23:08

Everyone seems enamored with berdych, he must be doing something right usually people just call him birdbrain and dismiss him off hand. I don't think I have seen so many picks for Berdy to go to the final in a masters before. I had him going to the semis as well he is striking the ball very well lately. However I think the wind and slower court at IW makes it a tough tournament for him to make a deep move in. But hey I picked him as semifinalist as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 7 Mar - 23:14

Does Granollers mean farmer in spanish or something?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 7 Mar - 23:18

Did someone mention the human personification of a seed plough?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu 7 Mar - 23:27

Goodbye Granollers! Hello £26.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu 7 Mar - 23:37

socal1976 wrote:Does Granollers mean farmer in spanish or something?

In lydian's mind, definitely! It is hilarious though Laugh

My rationale for Berdych was due to him being in the weakest quarter, and potentially having Federer in the SF who he has a good record against lately. If he runs into Nadal I think he'll be manhandled out of there, though.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 8 Mar - 7:57

Boring as muesli Granola came, grimaced in customary pain for an hour or so and was summarily bailed out by Drive-thru Dave for the loss of 6 games. The Plough's best bits are on Sky tonight - 5 seconds of shaking hands at the end.

Good win for wee Goffin over Troicki after recent woes.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 8 Mar - 9:07

Gulbis came through qualifying and then won his first round vs F.Lopez pretty easily. Now plays Tipsy. Could he be the dark horse of IW2013...the guy is certainly talented enough to go on a tear.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 8 Mar - 9:18

Sounds from Watson's post-match comments as though the court is painfully slow and high bouncing. Sounds good for Rafa!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 8 Mar - 9:20

OP updated. Surprised to see Baggy get turfed out so early, and Belluci will be disappointed after reaching the fourth round last year. I agree lydian, I can see the upset happening there.

BS, definitely good for Nadal and probably Novak as well!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 8 Mar - 9:41

the form novak is in, a hard court is a hard court, no matter if it's fast or slow. He won on a quick dubai and a medium slow aus, he can win regardless.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 8 Mar - 13:40

Good to see spare-parts rollover-generation Hewitt take out Rosol. Laugh

How about that rollover-generation Drive-thru Dave (31 yo) taking out the 26-yo farmer?

Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 8 Mar - 14:19

LuvSports! wrote:the form novak is in, a hard court is a hard court, no matter if it's fast or slow. He won on a quick dubai and a medium slow aus, he can win regardless.

True. I think that Roger and Andy would be happier than Novak if it was slightly quicker though.

His AO record vs his USO record suggests he is far more beatable in slightly quicker conditions.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 8 Mar - 20:40

lydian wrote:Gulbis came through qualifying and then won his first round vs F.Lopez pretty easily. Now plays Tipsy. Could he be the dark horse of IW2013...the guy is certainly talented enough to go on a tear.

If you include qualification from Del Ray and IW that should 11 or 12 straight wins in a row against tour level talent that is going to get the job done. He should be in 40-50 range for clay court masters which could allow him some automatic births instead of having to fight to just make the draw.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 8 Mar - 20:48

laverfan wrote:Good to see spare-parts rollover-generation Hewitt take out Rosol. Laugh

How about that rollover-generation Drive-thru Dave (31 yo) taking out the 26-yo farmer?

Laugh

Wow, are we now celebrating when two time slam winners and a guy who was a consistent top 5 or 10 player beats Granola and Rosol? I recant laverfan Empanada Dave's victory today proves that the early 2000 guys are the best period of talent ever. When is someone going to add his epic win over Granollers to his wiki page, absolutely monumental.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 8 Mar - 22:54

socal1976 wrote:
laverfan wrote:Good to see spare-parts rollover-generation Hewitt take out Rosol. Laugh

Laugh

Wow, are we now celebrating when two time slam winners and a guy who was a consistent top 5 or 10 player beats Granola and Rosol? I recant laverfan Empanada Dave's victory today proves that the early 2000 guys are the best period of talent ever. When is someone going to add his epic win over Granollers to his wiki page, absolutely monumental.

Whose wiki page should the Rosol win over Nadal (a 11-slam champion) go to, Nadal's or Rosol's? Laugh There are very few back-to-back MS winners, Empanada Drive-through Dave being one of them.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 8 Mar - 23:07

You miss the point entirely laverfan and try to change the subject to Rosol's win over Nadal, is a victory over Rosol such a great accomplishment for a guy who as you stated won back to back masters and finished ranked in the top 5 before? Is it indicative of anything other than the fact that Nalbandian is a much more accomplished player than Rosol and probably should beat him even if he was 40 years old and retired. You used a win over Rosol and Granola to talk about two former top, top contenders I just find that comical. Especially since Ferrer is about the same age as Nalby and is still winning big matches and tournaments.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 9 Mar - 3:21

socal1976 wrote:You miss the point entirely laverfan and try to change the subject to Rosol's win over Nadal, is a victory over Rosol such a great accomplishment for a guy who as you stated won back to back masters and finished ranked in the top 5 before? Is it indicative of anything other than the fact that Nalbandian is a much more accomplished player than Rosol and probably should beat him even if he was 40 years old and retired.

Rosol was just and example, as was Granollers. Here is another one, Blake beating Haase? chin

I think the point I have made is that generations and eras are mythical concepts, invented by fans to make their favourite player(s) look better. There is no scientific method of defining eras or generations, and there will never be. Golden is tagged on to make it sound even more regal and majestic.

socal1976 wrote:You used a win over Rosol and Granola to talk about two former top, top contenders I just find that comical. Especially since Ferrer is about the same age as Nalby and is still winning big matches and tournaments.

At least Nalby has been to slam final, which seems to be the yardstick for lesser greatness than someone who has never been to one. Ferrer is one of the most hard-working players that I know, and it is good to see a 30-yo winning 76-15 and 7 titles in 2012.

Nalbandian may never win another title, but he is declining, injuries and lack of application being the primary issues. He can be brilliant and a journeyman in the same set. Crying or Very sad I wish he had done more with what he had at his disposal.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 9 Mar - 7:31

Laverfan it is illogical in my mind to believe that there is no differences in quality between different periods. For example look at the players coming up immediately after the golden generation of Murray, Djoko, and Nadal; look how they have struggled to establish any consistent performance. I mean are you wlling to say that Harrison, Tomic, and Raonic compare in quality to djoko, murray, and Nadal or ever will? Some of the same people who argue with me about how special that group is, and how impossible it is to compare eras downgrade the young stars and have no problem admitting their weakness. The fact is that Nalbandian at his best was a very dangerous player he just failed to apply that level consistently. Others like Roddick who worked hard, had excellent luck with injuries, and consistency, just wasn't that good or talented. When Roddick first won a slam if you took his serve away he the rest of his game was so completely unimpressive. The best Roddick I have ever seen was in 09 and early 2010 under stefanki. And he still couldn't dent the top guys dominance. It is illogical to believe that all periods an groups of contemporaries are equally talented in my mind.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 9 Mar - 9:58

There appears to be a serious shortage of practice courts at IW

http://postimage.org/image/4f9c19qeb/

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 9 Mar - 12:12

hawkeye wrote:There appears to be a serious shortage of practice courts at IW

http://postimage.org/image/4f9c19qeb/

Ah indeed. Great view though.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 13:41

Both Silver and myself are pleased to announce that we are launching a 'match of the day' feature for Indian Wells for the next week or so.
Every day we will choose the most exciting prospect of a match from the next day fixtures, and either Silver or me will be writing a preview and prediction for this match.

If anyone has any suggestion for a possible match we could preview, or wants to join us in writing previews, don't hesitate to contact either Silver or me.

Cheers,
Amritia

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 9 Mar - 13:55

Harrison creams Soeda
(say it fast)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 9 Mar - 13:56

Gulbis-Tipsy for Sat, Mar 9, IMBL/Red/Amritia3ee/Vamos... and Silver.

BTW, Red and Silver could perhaps be mascot for IW.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 9 Mar - 13:57

JuliusHMarx wrote:Harrison creams Soeda
(say it fast)

Ice Cream Soda. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 14:02

Laverfan- today is Gasquet vs Tomic Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 14:03

JuliusHMarx wrote:Harrison creams Soeda
(say it fast)
chin

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 9 Mar - 14:19

laverfan wrote:Gulbis-Tipsy for Sat, Mar 9, IMBL/Red/Amritia3ee/Vamos... and Silver.

BTW, Red and Silver could perhaps be mascot for IW.

Do we get to wear costumes?

I could do a mini-preview for the Gulbis match, LF...I'd already written something for the Tomic match before you posted, but not a problem to do something else.

Edit: OP updated, hopefully the write-up isn't too terrible, heh.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 9 Mar - 14:52

@Red... NP. Gasquet-Tomic is a good pick.

@Silver... Very nice. thumbsup You can pick your evening dress as you like. Wink. We can skip Gulbis-Tipsy, it is all right.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 15:22

Gasquet-Tomic will be an interesting one, good write-up Silver thumbsup

I think if Gasquet plays defensively and Tomic really steps it up, then we can see an upset on the cards. I will be watching, and also keeping a keen eye on Gasquet's positioning. He shouldn't stand too far back.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by quietplease Sat 9 Mar - 16:40

Tomic has a good draw and needs a victory here to propell him forward. Very winnable match for him.
quietplease
quietplease

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 9 Mar - 18:32

Gazza is susceptible on an outdoor hardcourt, this is a win that will tell us a lot about Tomic's development if he can get it. It should be a very watchable match with two unique styles of play. I will be pulling for Richie G one of my favorites on tour. I still think he has the ability to be top 8. When he does force himself up in the court like when he plays wimby he can be very formidable. He has to shorten up the backswing on those big swinging groundies of his. Also one of the best returning one handed backhands on tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 19:36

Niemenen doing well here vs Fiasco

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 9 Mar - 19:49

Fiasco? Laugh

I see Daveed is doing his literal giant beating act again.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by quietplease Sat 9 Mar - 19:56

Doing well is a bit understated
Master class in session!!!
quietplease
quietplease

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 9 Mar - 20:05

Verdasco is a real athletic talent, but another player who lacks the consistent work ethic and gets beaten by the lesser talent ferrer who works his butt off, tennis as metaphor for life I suppose.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 20:12

Ferrer is far more talented than Verdasco imo
Of course mentally miles ahead, but in terms of groundstrokes he is far more solid and strong defensively on both wings. His movement is also better.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 20:14

Quiet Please, I don't exactly get it what was the mistake the umpire made in the Ferrer match?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 9 Mar - 20:15

I've just looked up Verdasco's age and I'm surprised to learn he's 29 (30 in November) which makes me wonder; who are the next up-and-coming Spaniards?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 20:17

The Special Juan wrote:I've just looked up Verdasco's age and I'm surprised to learn he's 29 (30 in November) which makes me wonder; who are the next up-and-coming Spaniards?
Where is the up and coming anybody?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 20:18

There are a few young Spaniards on tour, but really they do ok at clay event, no one stands out.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 9 Mar - 20:19

I mean any 16-19 year olds, like Britain has Golding, Broady et al.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 9 Mar - 20:45

Red wrote:Ferrer is far more talented than Verdasco imo
Of course mentally miles ahead, but in terms of groundstrokes he is far more solid and strong defensively on both wings. His movement is also better.

Seriously??? ferrer more talented than verdasco??? comeee onnn!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 20:57

Absolutely.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 20:59

LS, on which grounds would you say Verdasco is more talented than Ferrer? Apart from the fact that he puts more emphasis on attack.

If you attack, and you can do so with precision, then that's fair enough- that's talent. But the guy has poor timing on hie forehand; he mis-hits so many! Apart from a purple patch in 2009 frankly he has never shown he can hit with any sort of accuracy and precision for a prolonged period of time, I just don't see how one can argue he's that talented.
In terms of mental talent Ferrer is leagues above him.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 9 Mar - 21:03

Daveed on his way out then.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 9 Mar - 21:04

Both look like they may be on the plane to Miami.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next