The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which fighters have slipped off the radar quicker than they appeared on it?

+9
Imperial Ghosty
Strongback
bhb001
Valero's Conscience
seanmichaels
eddyfightfan
School Project
88Chris05
themadworldofjb
13 posters

Go down

Which fighters have slipped off the radar quicker than they appeared on it? Empty Which fighters have slipped off the radar quicker than they appeared on it?

Post by themadworldofjb Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Been thinking about a few fighters that were right up there in World Rankings but have all of a sudden disappeared and not been heard off in the big boxing circles since?

One person for me who sticks out is Nehomar Cermeno. He was 19-0 with two great wins over Mijares when he challenged Anselmo Moreno for the full WBA Bantamweight title. He lost a very tight SD. A rematch was ordered and once again he lost by tight SD. At this point he is now 19-2 and I didnt see him again in major boxing circles.

I just had a quick look at his recored and he is now 20-5. He has lost to good guys as well (Terrazas, Montiel and Bakhtin) and is now campaiging up at Super Bantam. He has however not fought in a year.

Are there any other fighters like this that have been close to breaking through before falling spectacuarly away from the limelight
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Which fighters have slipped off the radar quicker than they appeared on it? Empty Re: Which fighters have slipped off the radar quicker than they appeared on it?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Erislandy Lara looks like he might just disappear from view

Back to top Go down

Which fighters have slipped off the radar quicker than they appeared on it? Empty Re: Which fighters have slipped off the radar quicker than they appeared on it?

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Andre Dirrell is headed that way if he doesn't make a big move soon. Has time on his side for now, but he's in danger of becoming a part of the 'Where are they now?' club.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Dirrell is a great shout. I think he could have won the Super Six had he not had his problems
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Very talented lad TMWofJB, that's for sure. It was really just a lack of experience which cost him the fight against Froch, for me. He demonstrated that he had the perfect style to beat Carl at that point; if he'd have realised how good he was or believed in himself enough to step it up earlier, he had it within him to run away with the decision and the WBC belt.

In fairness it looked as if he'd learned from that mistake against Abraham for the most part, until that ending. Can't quite make my mind up on that one, but he's been cleared to fight after all that business for a long time now but just doesn't seem to be that interested - there's no urgency there. If he applies himself properly he'll win a world belt or two without any hassle, I'd think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:08 pm

Thought Gamboa would have been one, promising future, making all the right noises... disappears and reappears as a shadow of his former self.

Daniel Jacobs was a well promoted prospect with Golden Boy. Won accolades as the ESPN Prospect of the year and was well reviewed on the Ring... until his loss to Pirog. I thought it was a little too quiet then I found he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (a form of bone cancer). He has gone on to fight 4 more times since being given the all clear but I've not seen any coverage of him!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:15 pm

jeff lacy had massive hype behind him, but after the JC fight really went of the rails and has faded into obscurity.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Lacy stuck around for a while. Had some big fights with Taylor and RJJ before he slipped away.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Alexander Frenkel. Not fought since Enzo Macc.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:31 pm

That's a good shout, Michaels. That knockout should have given him a couple of big(ish) outings at Cruiser.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:41 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Alexander Frenkel. Not fought since Enzo Macc.

Now this is suprising. Strange as he should be living off his biggest win on away soil but instead does nothing!

Lara is a good shout, there was talk on here like he was a future P4P contender.

I Gamboa lacks a ambition and drift of in the next few years.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:49 pm

themadworldofjb wrote:Lacy stuck around for a while. Had some big fights with Taylor and RJJ before he slipped away.

And don't forget his fight against Manfredo Jr!! Can't get much bigger than that!! (I hate working on a friday afternoon!!)

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Alexander Frenkel. Not fought since Enzo Macc.

Now this is suprising. Strange as he should be living off his biggest win on away soil but instead does nothing!

I heard a rumour he was chicken oriental.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:32 pm

The young Naz slinked off fairly quickly when he got his eye wiped by a real warrior.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:02 pm

He was only at the top for 7 years so definitely deserves a mention here.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:He was only at the top for 7 years so definitely deserves a mention here.

You're right he slipped off the radar quicker than he came onto it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:13 pm

richard towers and mike perez, both undefeated HWs who should be making themselfs known, and not heard a peep from either.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Samart Payakarun was being hailed as a big star of the future in the late eighties before he boxed Jeff Fenech. He was the betting favourite and undefeated, but then got trounced and it basically finished him as a fighter. He retired pretty soon after before an unsuccessful comeback a few years down the line.

Diosbelys Hurtado, as well. Gave Whitaker absolute hell for eleven rounds as a young, untested pup, got his hands on a world title a few years later and was being tipped for big things, somehow managed to get himself stopped in his very first defence against Vivian Harris and quickly faded in to oblivion afterwards even though he was still pretty young.

Proksa might go the same way, too. This time last year he was being touted as the Middleweight to watch by many before Hope and Golovkin brought him crashing back down to earth.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:25 pm

David Lemieux. Was once a highly rated, up and coming KO artist.
Now......a highly rated can-crusher.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Anyone expecting much else from Juanma???

From the hottest prospect in boxing to being found out.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Very possibly premature but what about that young Mexican-American LWW who went to train with Roach?

I think his name was Jose Benividaz (spelling likely wrong and on phone so can't look up).

There was a lot of hype about him circa 2 years ago and seemed like he was going to be fast tracked to greatness?

I assume he's just taking things slower than anticipated and we'll hear more soon.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I would have to say that Boystov and Dimitrenko have disappeared. two decent big punching Russian Heavys who are now nowhere to be seen
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Very possibly premature but what about that young Mexican-American LWW who went to train with Roach?

I think his name was Jose Benividaz (spelling likely wrong and on phone so can't look up).

There was a lot of hype about him circa 2 years ago and seemed like he was going to be fast tracked to greatness?

I assume he's just taking things slower than anticipated and we'll hear more soon.

Benavidez is currently 17-0 with 13KOs and now fighting at Welterweight. Hasnt fought this year however. In fact he hasnt fought since October
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm

themadworldofjb wrote:I would have to say that Boystov and Dimitrenko have disappeared. two decent big punching Russian Heavys who are now nowhere to be seen

They only disappear when wlad is looking for opponents - they'll resurface in a week or so.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Cheers FJB.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:20 pm

To be fair to Dimitrenko he has at least found his level i.e not good enough for World Titles. Got found out against Eddie Chambers of all people.

But Boytsov has indeed vanished.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:16 am

Thinking about the mention of Jacobs earlier, I think Pirogs a good example. Appeared from nowhere as an opponent for Jacobs and afterwards gained a bit of a following (myself included) but has done F all since then. Pretty frustrating considering he appeared to have everything necessary to become a major force at MW...if he was on top form I'd back him to run GGG very close if not even beat him.

Also JuanMa Lopez, lost a bit of appeal after his losses but beforehand all the talk was of him and Gamboa having their superfight. I still wouldn't rule it out but it wouldn't have the same awesome factor that it could have had a few years back. (remind you of anyone else?)

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down