The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Fighters per division (will be updated)

+6
Diamond in the rough
sweet_pea
Seanusarrilius
John Bloody Wayne
Herman Jaeger
themadworldofjb
10 posters

Go down

Who should be the number 1 LHW now?

Top Fighters per division (will be updated) Vote_lcap67%Top Fighters per division (will be updated) Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 4 ]
Top Fighters per division (will be updated) Vote_lcap33%Top Fighters per division (will be updated) Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Top Fighters per division (will be updated) Empty Top Fighters per division (will be updated)

Post by themadworldofjb Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:05 am

Right, its that time again.

Theres always debate as to who is the best in the division is. My proposal is this. To create a thread where we have a list of fighters that have been agreed upon as best in the division. When results come in, we merely change the fighters name if a change is needed.

The fighter doesnt have to have a belt in order to be Number 1.

Heres my provisional list and it can be updated as debate rages:

Heavy: Wladimir and Vitali Klitchko
Cruiser: Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Light Heavy: Chad Dawson
Super Middle: Andre Ward
Middle: Sergio Martinez
Light Middle: Saul Alvarez
Welter: Floyd Mayweather
Light Welter: Danny Garcia
Light: Adrian Broner
Super Feather: Takashi Uchimaya
Feather: Mikey Garcia
Super Bantam: Nonito Donaire
Bantam: Anselmo Moreno
Super Fly: Omar Navarez
Fly: Brian Viloria
Light Fly: Roman Gonzalez
Straw: Hekkie Budler

Let the debate rage. I know coverage of the very lowest weight classes might be tough but lets see what happens

Last edited by themadworldofjb on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:34 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Changing List)
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Top Fighters per division (will be updated) Empty Re: Top Fighters per division (will be updated)

Post by themadworldofjb Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:06 am

A quick justification:

I find it impossible to seperate the Klitchko Brothers. Both are as good as each other and deserve to be considered on equal footing despite the disparity in belts owned.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Top Fighters per division (will be updated) Empty Re: Top Fighters per division (will be updated)

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:33 am

Pretty accurate list.

Just off the top of my head, I won't call Alvarez number one till he beats Trout. Martinez till he beats Golovkin.

Likewise Matthysse till he beats Rios. Donaire till he beats Mares and Rigondeaux.

Likewise Mikey Garcia till he beats Gary Russell Jr.(Though have still to see the latter in action.)

The Klits, Ward and Mayweather(maybe Broner,) are the only ones nailed on.

The others I can't comment on. haven't seen them..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:43 am

Heavy: Neither are lineal brother is lineal in the sense of beating the reigning number one, but Wladimir became the clear best in the division during Vitali's absence and has fought better opposition since so I think Wlad deserves to be number one

Cruiser: I know nothing about cruisers so I'll take your word.

Light Heavy: Hopkins coming off a loss to Dawson who I see as the number one in a lineal sense. Dawson beat Adamek, Johnson and Tarver to establish himself as number one, lost to Pascal who lost to Hopkins who lost to Dawson. Pascal rematch should settle things but for now Dawson is the man who beat the man.

Super Middle: Andre Ward obviously.
Middle: Sergio Martinez, man who beat the man etc.

Light Middle: Seen as Floyd has returned to welter Alvarez would be the heir apparent, Trout fight will confirm or dispel this.

Welter: Floyd Mayweather, uhuh.

Light Welter: See although I think Mathysse is the best at light welter, he's not beaten the guys to become #1. Khan and Bradley were number one and two. Bradley moved up, Garcia beat Khan so in my eyes Garcia's the top man at 140.

I either totally agree or no F all about the rest.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:45 am

JBW,

I've just edited my post. Realised I was talking nonsense with regard to Hopkins.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 am

Heavy: Wladimir - (for me Vitali has declined hugely. Cannot say he is as good now as Wlad is)
Cruiser: Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Light Heavy: Chad Dawson
Super Middle: Andre Ward
Middle: Sergio Martinez
Light Middle: Saul Alvarez
Welter: Floyd Mayweather
Light Welter: Lucas Matthysse
Light: Adrian Broner
Super Feather: Takashi Uchimaya
Feather: Mikey Garcia
Super Bantam: Nonito Donaire
Bantam: Anselmo Moreno
Super Fly: Omar Navarez

I cannot comment with any confidence below this point. But a fine list.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 am

technically wlad is better than vitali, but should they ever fight, id have vitali knocking him out within the first 10 big punches he lands
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:16 am

There's no way Alvarez I number one in division just yet unless he beats trout! But as mayweather has moved back down it has to go to trout as number one as he atleast beat cotto

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:46 am

I think there's an argument to be made for Chris John at feather , 17 defences including a win over JMM, undefeated in 48 . Must qualify this by admitting not to have seen Mickey Garcia fight though.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:41 am

Right, made a couple of changes. Dawson in for Hopkins and Garcia in for Matthysse.

I am sceptical about John. He is good, however, he hasnt really pushed himself with the exception of Marquez. He fought Juarez to a draw before outpointing him. He seems happy to fight lower opposition and rack up the defences.

Viloria is unified champ down at flyweight and three weight champion. Battered Segura and Tyson Marquez in recent fights and is apprently the first ever unified champion at Flyweight.

Gonzalez is a two weight champion. Undefeated in 34 with 28KOs. Dethroned long time champ Nida down at Minimumweight afew years back before making a run at Light Fly.

Ioka is a bit of phenomenon. Undefeated in 11 and has a light fly belt to his name. Won a title in just his 7th fight.

I think Gonzalez and Ioka may well step up so their names may well be moved soon.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am

Ioka is a registered Light Fly so have removed him (I suspect for the time being)
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am

No way is Garcia the no.1 at LWW, Matthysee is more deserving. Possibly even Khan if it's based on achievement.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:04 am

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:No way is Garcia the no.1 at LWW, Matthysee is more deserving. Possibly even Khan if it's based on achievement.

I initially put Matthysse down but others seemed to disagree
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 am

Always think its hard to make these lists, are we basing it on who deserves to be the best based on performances/records or on who is the most likely to stay unbeaten if they all fight each other

If its the latter, than I would have Matthysse in for Garcia and Gamboa for Uchimaya and possibly Golovkin for Martinez (think the time is right). If its the former than I think you have it spot on with maybe Trout in for Alvarez (Cotto is better than anything Saul has fought)

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:25 pm

There is always problems with stuff like this because of the weight hoppers.

If you're rating Floyd as a Welterweight in here then Bradley should be included in with the Light Welters as he fought there more recently than Floyd did at Welter and I'm sure he can make weight at 140 and beat everyone there.

Also where do you include Juan Manuel Marquez? Fought at Welter and Light Welter last year but I'm sure he can still make Lightweight where he was the man if he chose to do so and the only guy there who gives him any sort of problems is Broner, real tough fight to call that one.

The guys I personally rate as stand out number one in their divisions are Wlad, Ward, the winner of Trout vs Alvarez, Gamboa, Garcia is so close but not quite there and Donaire. I think I could include Viloria as well but I don't know an awful lot about the rest of the division. These are people who I just can't see losing at their current weight. Based on achievement Martinez is easily the number 1 middleweight but right now I'm not convinced he beats Golovkin so I struggle to rate him as the top fighter.

I'm not sure of some of the weights lighter than that as my knowledge there is lacking. Ioka looks like a really special talent though and is a 2 weight world champion after 11 fights which must be a record as he recently won a belt vacated by Roman Gonzalez, not sure what he's doing these days but hope he gets some big fights.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:33 am

Ok, gonna add a poll in. It concerns who sould be the top LHW fighter.

Dawson or Hopkins
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 am

Poll will closing down shortly. Looks like Dawson will remain on the list
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down