The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Long Smith

Go down

So Long Smith Empty So Long Smith

Post by Thomond Sun 10 Mar - 11:09

From Niner

‘We want Carr, We want Carr!’ Going back to that day against the Philadelphia Eagles three years ago, it is incredible to think that Jim Harbaugh turned the much vaunted Alex Smith into a playoff quarterback; only to drop him for young sensation Colin Kaepernick and subsequently send him packing to the lowly Kansas City Chiefs.

From the San Francisco 49ers perspective, it is a dream deal. Getting a near first round pick and a future pick for a quarterback who otherwise would be released for free is another example of the wheeling and dealing made famous by the entity known as ‘Harbaalke.’

Despite having possibly the most talented team in the NFL, people may not realise just how many needs the 49ers have. With safety, cornerback, nose tackle, wide receiver and defensive end all possible areas of improvement, the extra 2013 NFL Draft pick should prove effective in one of the deepest draft classes in years.

As well as offering a lot of opportunities to move around in the draft, the loss of Alex Smith also allows another Harbaugh protégé to show his metal. Scott Tolzien, formerly of the Wisconsin Badgers is known to be a favourite of the coaching staff and his couple of years learning the complex offensive system, combined with his snappy release means that he should be a more than capable backup.

But possibly the biggest advantage of dumping Smith is the money that will be saved. At the end of the day, the NFL is a business and so it was a wise decision not to keep hold of a backup who was due to make over $7m during the 2013 campaign. By avoiding taking that hit on the salary cap, many opportunities present themselves and help shape the direction of the team in the future. With big name free agents like Dashon Goldson, Delanie Walker and Ricky Jean-Francois hitting the market, the extra money can be used to secure these guys as well as to pursue other targets.

But the person I’m most happy for is Alex Smith, he deserves a fresh start and he has shown enough potential to suggest he can be a playoff quarterback. Rewind past the multiple surgeries and coaching turnovers and you have a guy who was drafted ahead of Aaron Rodgers. He may not ever be ‘elite’ but he has the athletic ability and smarts to command an Andy Reid West Coast offense. I didn’t want him to going to the Cardinals or Browns after seeing him linked with them, as I don’t think they are going anywhere. Whereas with the Chiefs, he will have a top running back in Jamaal Charles and a number one wide receiver in Dwayne Bowe. And barring any draft day shocks, the release of tackle Eric Winston means that the Chiefs will use their number one pick on a tackle who can protect Smith’s blindside for years to come. Add to that, that they have a young defense featuring stars like Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers, Eric Berry and Justin Houston and you can see why Smith has a chance to succeed.

And therein lies the problem, Tolzien will be promoted and a proven veteran like Smith will be gone. Tolzien did show flashes in preseason but it will be interesting if he is ever thrust into the starting line-up anytime soon. With Kaepernick, I feel like the 49ers can beat anyone. With Smith, I feel like the 49ers can beat anyone. With Tolzien I have no idea.

But rather than focus on the negatives of losing Smith, it may be worth noting how the deal could make the 49ers even more successful. With guys on the trade block like Percy Harvin and Darrelle Revis, that number 34 pick from the Chiefs could actually be used to obtain an elite player nevermind an unknown quantity via the draft.

If the draft is the way to go, there are a few players I think that pick will make more readily available. With a plethora of picks already, a high second rounder means the previous improbability of a trade up is in the past. Dee Milliner, Ezekial Ansah, Tavon Austin or any other top talent is now within reach even if they don’ t make pick 31.

Or the front office can stay put and hope Jonathan Cyprien, Jonathan Hankins or Datone Jones drops to the back end of the first round.
Ultimately I’m very sad to see Alex go; he was the perfect professional and was the perfect mentor for Kaepernick. How many guys dropped like he was would maintain a dignified silence and not throw their toys out the pram?

There are a few moments of greatness that Smith conjured up that I think any niner fan will struggle to forget. Namely his epic touchdown drive to down the Saints in the 2011 playoffs in which he threw and ran as if his life depended on it. I actually think it was that game against the Saints that forced people to take him seriously as an above average starting quarterback

All done: http://v2journal.com/19/post/2013/03/so-long-smith.html

Thomond

Back to top Go down

So Long Smith Empty Re: So Long Smith

Post by Thomond Sun 10 Mar - 11:25

http://v2journal.com/19/post/2013/03/so-long-smith.html and http://v2journal.com/so-long-smith.html

Thomond

Back to top Go down