The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Englands Argentina Tour - Who would you pick?

+19
formerly known as Sam
stlowe
Cumbrian
yappysnap
Wi11
hawalsh
robbo277
Poorfour
sirtidychris
Chjw131
sickofwendy
lostinwales
markb
Barney McGrew did it
thomh
little_badger
Geordie
funnyExiledScot
propdavid_london
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Englands Argentina Tour - Who would you pick?  - Page 2 Empty Englands Argentina Tour - Who would you pick?

Post by propdavid_london Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

This I am sure has been done somewhere before but - its always fun.
Who'd you select bearing in mind possible Lions candidates will be unavailable.

Guys in with a Lions shout - Robshaw, Cole, Launchbury, Parling, T.Wood, B.Youngs, O.Farrell, Tuilagi, M.Brown

Selecting 2 in each position -

1.Vaunipola, Marler
2. T.Youngs, Hartley
3. Wilson, Henry Thomas
4. Lawes, Ed Slater
5. Robson, Kitchener
6. Haskell, T.Johnston
7. Kvesick, Fraser
8. Billy Vaunipola, Ben Morgan
9. D.Care, Simpson
10. Flood, F.Burns
11. Wade, Ashton
12.Billy Twelvetrees, Barritt
13. J.Joseph, J.Tompkins
14. J.May, Sharples
15. Foden, Goode

Think the tour is only 2 games (tests) with no mid weekers so I dont expect a big squad to travel. Some of the back-ups will be sacrificed for extra front row and back 5 cover.

Last edited by propdavid_london on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Englands Argentina Tour - Who would you pick?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Englands Argentina Tour - Who would you pick?

Post by sickofwendy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

Can't argue with that,there seems to be so much potential around at the moment,hopefully it will bear fruit.Exciting times .

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Englands Argentina Tour - Who would you pick?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Englands Argentina Tour - Who would you pick?

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:02 pm

To be fair Wallace doesn't need to be first choice in his position, he just needs to get regular game time at 7 and compete at a high level. That's what Cole, Farrel , Clark and Vunipola were like when they were first in the EPS, none of them had nailed down their clubs starting shirt (Farrel and Clark still haven't) but all were picked because they showed greater potential when they were given their chances then any others.

So far Wallace has done the same for Quins and I hope he sticks with us for a few more seasons and carries on showing that potential.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:36 pm

I think Croft will tour. He's just too good to leave behind.

I'd go for something like:

1. Vunipola, Mullan
2. Hartley, Webber, Grey
3. Wilson, Thomas
4. Slater (he must get capped), Lawes
5. Kruis, Kitchener
6. Wood, Haskell
7. Fraser, Kvesic
8. Morgan, Vunipola
9. Care, Simpson, Wigglesworth
10. Flood, Burns
11. May, Wade
12. Twelvetrees, Allen
13. Joseph, Trinder
14. Ashton, Biggs
15. Brown, Goode

On the basis that Marler, T Youngs, Cole, Launchbury, Parling, Croft, Robshaw, B Youngs, Barritt and Manu are all away with the Lions.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

I think haskell needs a break,played constantly last 2 years.Top 14,WC,Japan,SR and straight back to wasps.let the man rest up this summer,maybe do a yoga dvd and he will be fit and firing come august.
Good player but looks burnt out.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

Good team Sam, not sure about Croft for the Lions though, I think he'll need Tigers to have a stormer if he is to get a look in.

Otherwise Allen should be no where near an International cap. I'd even prefer JTH to him but to be honest let's just hope nothing happens to 36.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:53 am

On current form I'd take Allen over JTH every day. To be honest I was very tempted to have Eastmond in there but not sure we'll be that adventurous against the Puma's.

Given Ferris is constantly injured as is Lydiate and not many other 6s shining Croft has a good chance. His skill set is also perfect to play against Oz and he has that Lions experience.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 14 Mar 2013, 8:58 am

How far will this squad go in deciding who will be in the EPS next year? Are the guys picked here set in stone for 2013-14 or is the last hurrah for the 2012-13 season?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 14 Mar 2013, 9:00 am

I think SL seems to pick his squad based on the 2015 WC and future development.
That being the case its a good chance for the new squad members and fringe EPS players to put their hands up for full EPS inclusion at the next squad announcements.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 14 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

Wallace has stated that his goal is to force Robshaw back into the 6 shirt for Quins, which would be a pretty strong statement that he's ready. Given the way he's playing at the moment, I think that's very possible.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 14 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

stlowe wrote:Kvesic & Fraser in the AP this season:

17 Matches 16
1 Tries 1
0 Try assist 0
36 Passes 25
112 Carries 63
340 Metres carried 209
3 Clean breaks 6
12 Offloads 1
28 Defenders beaten 7
122 Tackles 129
10 Missed tackles 12

Interesting stats.

Have you got Wallace's stats too?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 14 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

Those are interesting stats but surely turnovers won and penalties conceded are very important stats for a 7. Have we got those?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:20 pm

Telegraph stats for Wallace and Robshaw:

8 Matches 10
0 Tries 1
0 Points 5
0 Try assist 1
0 Kicks From Hand 0
21 Passes 60
0 Yellow cards 0
0 Red cards 0
43 Carries 104
67 Metres carried 124
0 Clean breaks 1
4 Offloads 6
1 Defenders beaten 6
62 Tackles 102
4 Missed tackles 4
7 Penalties conceded 6
7 Turnovers conceded 2
7 Line outs won own throw 13
0 Lineout steals 3

Clearly both the Quins boys are carrying in heavy traffic, but Wallace's tackle and lineout stats are pretty good for a player who's getting limited game time. Needs to work on the penalties and turnovers, though.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 14 Mar 2013, 2:54 pm

Frak hell Robshaws stats are good, no wonder we've been in trouble while he's been away. Do the restof the pack do anything but stand and watch him?!

Shame that theres no stat for turnovers won and nuisance made at ruck time

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

Sam

Interesting that you think Marler will tour to oz....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:22 pm

Mobile loosehead who likes to get under the skin of the opposition and can scrummage. Ticks the boxes for a trip down under. If the Lions were in SA I'd say he'd lose out to James but three props for each side will go see he has a great chance.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Those are interesting stats but surely turnovers won and penalties conceded are very important stats for a 7. Have we got those?

Will Fraser - 16 matches

8 penalties conceded

10 turnovers conceded

Lineouts won on own throw - 0

Lineout Steals - 0

Matt Ksevic - 17 matches

17 penalties conceded
15 turnovers conceded

Lineouts won on own throw - 10

Lineout Steals - 1

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:50 pm

I'd pick a combination of ex army and catholics and no one who lives on an island

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

Does Saturday changes thing dramatically...i dont think so.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:32 pm

God, Kvesic's carrying stats are scary- defenders beaten is ridiculous. Have to admit though, when I have seen him play, he carries ferociously. Last time I saw him play Tigers he was so aggressive in the contact area, and reminded me a little bit of Bismarck with ball in hand. Uses his non-ball carrying hand to fend off a lot of tackles, rather than just boshing. Very impressive.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:02 pm

My touring party, assuming Cole, Parling, Wood, Robshaw, Youngs B, Farrell, Tuilagi go with the lions. (In brackets are my replacements shoudl someone be called up to the Lions I did not expect):

MakoV, Marler (Mullan) Corbs needs the summer off to try and get fit
Webber, Youngs T, (Hartley) I want to see Webber start against Argies, and see if he has what it takes, Youngs to be an impact sub
Wilson, Thomas (Harden)
Launchbury, Lawes, Kitchener, Attwood (Slater)
Croft, Haskell (Kruis)
Kvesic, Fraser (Wallace)
Morgan, BillyV (Crane)
Care, Simpson (Dickson L)
Burns, Flood (Ford)
May, Varndell, (Biggs)
36, Barritt (Tomkins)
Joseph, Daly (Eastmond)
Wade, Sharples, (Miller) I just feel that Ashton needs a break
Brown, Foden (Goode) Harsh on Goode I know

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2