The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sportsmanship

+5
djlovesyou
socal1976
ALPanorak
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
9 posters

Go down

Sportsmanship Empty Sportsmanship

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:26 am

Yesterday Djokovic conceded one of his set points when a first serve from Dimitrov, that Djokovic failed to return, was incorrectly called out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuhLvhO74Zw

He also did something similar in last years RG final:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/djokovic-concedes-point-034900027.html

Great sportsmanship. I know many aren't keen on his racquet smashing and shirt ripping (me included) but, in the moments that really matter, I think he is exemplary.

Well played, Novak.

Last edited by HM Murdoch on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Sportsmanship Empty Re: Sportsmanship

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:36 am

Set point, rather than match point.

Clearly a clever ploy by Djoko to get Dimitrov to subconsciously lose a fraction of that vital 'will to win' required to beat the top players. After all, no-one wants to beat the good guy.
And it worked too - Gregor was clearly so mentally troubled by his conflicting emotions caused by the crafty manoeuvre that he capitulated in the 2nd set.

Seriously though, clap Djokovic.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Set point, rather than match point.
Whoops. I've now amended it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

I too appreciate the way Novak carries himself on court in terms of respecting his opponent, whether that be in applauding a well played point or simply being honest as was the case here.
I feel most of the top players display a high degree of integrity on the court and its admirable to see that. Most of the 'bad habits' we see like the racket smashing, shirt ripping etc, I see as an extension of passion for the game and I wouldn't hold that against them.

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:37 pm

I agree murdoch, Novak is one of the fairest guys on tour with calls, I have seen him give the most marginal and sometimes out calls to his opponents. One time a point he gave up was shown by hawkeye to be actually a fraction out, but since he conceded the hawkeye replay was not an official challenge. The shirt ripping has to stop at this point it doesn't jive with his status in the game, I understand it once after an 11 hour marathon weekend but I hope he doesn't do it after every 5 set war. The guy is emotional though and I don't want him to lose that personality either.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:52 pm

I would imagine he wouldn't have done it had it been set point Dimitrov.

It's easy to be a great sportsman when you're winning. For example, in cricket, someone is far more likely to give themselves out when they've scored 172 than if they're on 2.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

djlovesyou wrote:I would imagine he wouldn't have done it had it been set point Dimitrov.

It's easy to be a great sportsman when you're winning. For example, in cricket, someone is far more likely to give themselves out when they've scored 172 than if they're on 2.
In the example v Rafa he was losing.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:07 pm

Did the same thing with Federer at the RG 2011 semi when he was also losing, Murdoch.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

HM Murdoch wrote: I know many aren't keen on his racquet smashing and shirt ripping (me included) but, in the moments that really matter, I think he is exemplary.

Well played, Novak.

I didn't really like the shirt ripping after the Wawrinka match while Stan was in tears. It was a bit in poor taste considering the state of his opponent, but that apart I don't have a problem with any of his conduct. The vast majority do or have smashed racquets. And after winning the AO against multi slam winning Rafa I have no problem with him going OTT.

I'm surprised a Novak fan doesn't like it to be honest Murdoch. It's a competetive environment after all.

I wish more players were as gladiatorial in their celebrations!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:I'm surprised a Novak fan doesn't like it to be honest Murdoch. It's a competetive environment after all.

Ha! Well, the first one after the Rafa match I didn't mind. That seemed to be a genuine release of emotion, born in the moment.

I wasn't so keen on the one after the Stan match. Partly for the reasons you described, and partly because doing it as a signature move is all a bit 'Hulk Hogan' and silly for my tastes!

Danny, are you a rugby fan? Because if you like the gladiatorial approach and players really being pumped, you'll love the Living With Lions film of the 97 Lions tour. Here's a brief sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3S6iGmUjI

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

Djoko is a great one for applauding good play by his opponents. Watching him live you see much more of his conduct than on TV when the cameras are focusing elsewhere and don't show moments like that. I think his is a very sporting on court presence and I have always liked him for that.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:48 pm

Totally agree that Novak is a great sport, no doubt about it. He is also very gracious in defeat, I really like the way he embraced Murray after he won US Open and the way he embraced Nadal when he won US open in 2010. In both instances he actually walked around to their side of the court, hugged them and congratulated them and you could tell he was very sincere and meant it. After such a bitter disappointment in a grand slam final, that takes a lot of class.

How you handle yourself in defeat is as if not more important than how you handle yourself in victory. A golfer who comes to mind here for me is Greg Norman, he had so many tough defeats in majors but the way he handled himself with the media afterwards and with his playing partner was pure class. When he lost to Faldo in Masters in 96 after collapsing horribly with a 6 shot lead, he embraced Faldo on the final green and took the time to do the press conference and talk about how he had messed up. I know that is golf, not tennis but its an example of great sportsmanship that I always remember growing up.

Great role models for any kids watching. Novak is a class act in this regard.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:52 pm

Yes Slasher and Barry, great comments. I haven't seen too many players at any level as fair as Djoko is with his opponents calls. I have seen him concede points that were actually out. And he is always very positive towards the other players on tour. One of the aspects of his game and personality that has attracted me to him as a fan of his game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. If he could cut out the "he-man, me-man" demonstrations after winning matches I could take to the guy more.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:I'm surprised a Novak fan doesn't like it to be honest Murdoch. It's a competetive environment after all.

Ha! Well, the first one after the Rafa match I didn't mind. That seemed to be a genuine release of emotion, born in the moment.

I wasn't so keen on the one after the Stan match. Partly for the reasons you described, and partly because doing it as a signature move is all a bit 'Hulk Hogan' and silly for my tastes!

Danny, are you a rugby fan? Because if you like the gladiatorial approach and players really being pumped, you'll love the Living With Lions film of the 97 Lions tour. Here's a brief sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3S6iGmUjI

I like a lot of sports Mudoch, but with Rugby I'd usually only watch 6 nations or world cups.

Football and tennis are my main two sports. If you consider watching Aston Villa football that is. Laugh

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:19 pm

lydian wrote:Wouldn't disagree with any of that. If he could cut out the "he-man, me-man" demonstrations after winning matches I could take to the guy more.

Well Lydian I don't think he does it to rub the other guy's face in it frankly, he just is a very animated and emotional guy. His mental state he wears on his sleeves, I don't think he even really thinks about it much in the heat of the moment. But yeah I hope he stops the shirt ripping. Once ok after 11 hours of slam level tennis is fine. But I think he is self aware enough and takes criticism in, so I wouldn't be surprised if he cut that back as he gets more and more mature.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:30 pm

here here, the shirt ripping is the one thing he needs to stop. However like Socal says, I don't think he means it in a bad way, just the emotions that come with it. Would prefer if he cut that out though

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down