The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer and Djokovic - The Cold War?

+17
kingraf
break_in_the_fifth
Josiah Maiestas
Chydremion
banbrotam
Danny_1982
JuliusHMarx
Henman Bill
erictheblueuk
socal1976
hawkeye
barrystar
sirfredperry
bogbrush
laverfan
Silver
HM Murdock
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Federer and Djokovic - The Cold War? - Page 2 Empty Federer and Djokovic - The Cold War?

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

This relates to something discussed on the Rafa Not Backing Down thread but it's off-topic, so I'll give it its own thread.

Interesting blog about the Roger-Novak relationship:

http://tennis-column.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-relationship-between-federer-and.html

I do find the dynamic between the two players very interesting. It seems to have been noticeably warmer the last 18 months or so but there's still a frisson there, I think.

They have very different personalities. It's clear that Roger has been irked by some of Novak's (or his family's) behaviour in the past. Likewise, it's clear that Novak has never been enraptured by Roger in the way that many other of his rivals have been.

I think if Novak had hit his peak a couple of years earlier, this relationship had the potential to get really heated!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Federer and Djokovic - The Cold War? - Page 2 Empty Re: Federer and Djokovic - The Cold War?

Post by lydian Tue 19 Mar 2013, 5:03 pm

Yeah, what is it about Czech players...Berdych never smiles either - which is surprising considering the absolutely stunning GF he has Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Federer and Djokovic - The Cold War? - Page 2 Empty Re: Federer and Djokovic - The Cold War?

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Mar 2013, 5:09 pm

I think one of the things that made Lendl unpopular was that his wife to be was only 14 when he started living with her... credit to him he married her and had five kids.. but he wasnt the most popular person on the tennis court albeit a great player.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 19 Mar 2013, 5:14 pm

lydian wrote:Yeah, what is it about Czech players...Berdych never smiles either - which is surprising considering the absolutely stunning GF he has Wink

Who no doubt loves him purely for his winning personality Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 5:35 pm

"... so tell us, what was it that first attracted you to the multi-millionaire tennis player Tomas Berdych ...?" chin

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 19 Mar 2013, 5:50 pm

MMT1 wrote: Federer still thinks he's a better tennis player than all his main rivals, and it sticks in his craw when he loses to them .

But the thing is it doesn't "stick in his craw" when he loses to Rafa because he acknowledges that Rafa is his equal. That's perhaps the reason for the animosity between Djokovic and Federer. When Federer loses to Djokovic he still acts like he's the superior player. "Act" is perhaps the wrong word because Federer IS the superior player.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

I don't judge, I'm just reporting what I've heard/read, but as far as I can remember, there weren't too many top players that had much good to say about Ivan Lendl. As far I can recall, there was Christo van Rensburg, a South African player who excelled in doubles, and Wojtek Fibak a Polish player (another very good doubles player who made two finals with Lendl) who took him under his wing when he first came on tour, having also come from a country behind the "iron curtain".
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 19 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

I believe that there was very nearly a fisticuffs between him and Agassi in the locker room on one occasion.. but was that just a rumour ?? I do know that Agassi had little or no time for him

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 19 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm

I think it was Cash and Lendl that had a locker room set-to. Although maybe Agassi as well and probably any number of other players Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:44 pm

You're right Julius - it was Cash who had a go at Lendl in the "Shoebreaker Incident" (google it and you get a link from SportTaco that tells the story - I can't post the link because I'm a new member). Jon Feinstein's book "Hardcourts" makes reference to Lendl's hatred of Russians, but he sort of excuses it given that he is Czech, and all they had to put up with from the Russians, but this is the only time I've ever heard anyone call Lendl a straight up racist, although McEnroe did also say that he loved to berate lower ranked players. That is ironic coming from a guy (McEnroe) who (according to Bill Scanlon in his memoirs) interrupted a match with him, in the middle of a game, just to explain to Scanlon how he had no business on the court with him, that nobody wanted to see him proceed to the next round, and he should just give it up...in the middle of a match. But I digress.

MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2