The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do wales have such a poor home record?

+8
funnyExiledScot
MarcusHalberstram
ScarletSpiderman
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
Toohey
12 posters

Go down

Why do wales have such a poor home record? Empty Why do wales have such a poor home record?

Post by Toohey Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:40 am

Someone mentioned on another thread that it had been a while since Wales had won at home which surprised me given the last couple of years they have had so I thought I'd look at the stats. Looking at the six nations teams plus the quad nations over the last four years only Italy (38.1%) has a worse home win ratio than Wales (41.1%).

Any major reason for this? Poor pitch not suiting their game? Pressure of the home crowd?

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Why do wales have such a poor home record? Empty Re: Why do wales have such a poor home record?

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:47 am

If you checked out AI stats as well that number would drop like a stone!

It's an odd conundrum, because at present I think Wales are the most settled NH team, and arguably the strongest (on par with England)

I think there are a number of factors...

We tend to be an all or nothing team, so we either win for long periods and look good, or we lose for long periods and look awfull.

Also there is a pressure when playing in Cardiff (not just the MS) that I think is unparalleled in the NH (maybe parts of Munster and Paris) The city literally shuts down on gameday, and from 9am the buzz begins, the welsh players tend to feel and deal worse with that pressure than most other nations, we tend to be a bit mentally fragile!

I also think the success of the MS is part of the problem, Robinson recently mentioned on Scrum V that he'd never had to try to get a team highly motivated, or 'up' for playing at the MS, that it's the best rugby arena to play in and players naturally get excited to play there (and He brought England and Scotland) So other teams enjoying playing there isn't helping, compounded by enjoying the experience and winning there is compounding it even more!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Why do wales have such a poor home record? Empty Re: Why do wales have such a poor home record?

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:51 am

Over the past 4 years Gatland and the WRU in their conventional wisdom have had us playing a lot of SH teams in the AI's and we've not come out of this well as this Autumn illustrated. Arranging 4 games like that was ridiculuous actually. This skews things for us big time with regard to your stat. These fixtures also produce a lot of injuries. This autumn we should have played Canada, Argentina, S Africa and N Zealand. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:55 am

RubyGuby wrote:Over the past 4 years Gatland and the WRU in their conventional wisdom have had us playing a lot of SH teams in the AI's and we've not come out of this well as this Autumn illustrated. Arranging 4 games like that was ridiculuous actually. This skews things for us big time with regard to your stat. These fixtures also produce a lot of injuries. This autumn we should have played Canada, Argentina, S Africa and N Zealand. thumbsup

Didn't realise the quad boys were included, MUST READ PROPERLY!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:07 am

Fair enough but I can't really think of any of the other NH teams getting more than a token win against the big boys in the last few years.

Didn't look but must mean you've got a pretty hot away record over the same period though eh?

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:13 am

Most home games have been against SA, Aussies or NZ. We've not had much luck against them.

Been a lot of close games, been some glorious victories too. Home is an advantage for any team. I would be surprised to see it considered a negative factor by any Welshman, particularly those involved in the final score.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:32 am

maestegmafia wrote:Most home games have been against SA, Aussies or NZ. We've not had much luck against them.

Been a lot of close games, been some glorious victories too. Home is an advantage for any team. I would be surprised to see it considered a negative factor by any Welshman, particularly those involved in the final score.

Plus toughies against Samoa & Argentina Wink

In all honesty though its an odd one, Wales do tend to a look stronger on the road though with their ability to counter suiting teams coming into them.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:45 am

Why do wales have such a poor home record? - Simples because we lose there more often than we should.

Funny fact this six nations saw Wales set their worst ever record for losses at home on the bounce, however it has also seen us set our best ever record for away wins in the 6 Nations on the bounce.

Realistically I think Wales are one of those sides that play well in the 6Ns but really struggle against the 4Ns sides, but constantly arrange matches against them to improve ourselves.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:03 am

Pressure and hysteria in the MS gets to the players. E.g. Thousands of mad women collectively screaming whenever Lee Halfpenny gets the ball with more than an inch of space in front of him (this reaction used to reserved for Shane). I honestly believe the home crowd hinder Wales more than they help them these days.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:05 am

Why do Wales have such a poor home record?

Laziness. Pure and simple.

Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:15 am

Nerves and fear.

Nerves that keeps them wanting to do the showboating stuff in front of their adoring crowd. Sometimes too much brain melting going on due to the heat of expectation in a home venue.

Fear....well, of the Daffodil girls...I hear their handbags pack a punch.

Calm down and pretend you're abroad would be my advice, if Wales ever wanted it.

They don't???? Wot an ungrateful bunch.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

Wales is not the only team that has struggled against SA, NZ and OZ

In the last 5 years:

England played 11 matches at home and beat Australia once and New Zealand once

Ireland played 6 matches at home and beat SA once

Scotland played 9 matches at home and beat SA once

Wales played 14 matches at home and beat Australia once

As you can see Wales plays far more matches against SA, NZ and OZ.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:26 am

SecretFly wrote:Nerves and fear.

Nerves that keeps them wanting to do the showboating stuff in front of their adoring crowd. Sometimes too much brain melting going on due to the heat of expectation in a home venue.

Fear....well, of the Daffodil girls...I hear their handbags pack a punch.

Calm down and pretend you're abroad would be my advice, if Wales ever wanted it.

They don't???? Wot an ungrateful bunch.

Yahoo thumbsup We just like to keep a welcome in the hillsides - Croeso ir Gymru Wales

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:26 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Most home games have been against SA, Aussies or NZ. We've not had much luck against them.

Plus toughies against Samoa & Argentina Wink

In all honesty though its an odd one, Wales do tend to a look stronger on the road though with their ability to counter suiting teams coming into them.

Wales were awful in both those games, likewise Argentina and Samoa were superb....! Can't knock them for their good results.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

Biltong wrote:Wales is not the only team that has struggled against SA, NZ and OZ

In the last 5 years:

England played 11 matches at home and beat Australia once and New Zealand once

Ireland played 6 matches at home and beat SA once

Scotland played 9 matches at home and beat SA once

Wales played 14 matches at home and beat Australia once

As you can see Wales plays far more matches against SA, NZ and OZ.

Thanks for reminding us yet one more time that we ain't all that, biltong. That'll teach us!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:44 am

Did you realise that in every Six Nations Wales and England always have the contrasting fixtures. Whoever England play at home, Wales have away.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:46 am

maestegmafia wrote:Did you realise that in every Six Nations Wales and England always have the contrasting fixtures. Whoever England play at home, Wales have away.

How exactly do Wales play England when both teams are home? Laugh Do we meet in Hereford?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:53 am

Least England wasn't our opening game again !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Why do Wales have such a poor home record?

Laziness. Pure and simple.

Laugh

Hilarious laughing

Maybe we need some of that English arrogance good old Jim was talking about.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

Had it been, you might be on your way to a Grand Slam....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:07 pm

Toohey wrote:Someone mentioned on another thread that it had been a while since Wales had won at home which surprised me given the last couple of years they have had so I thought I'd look at the stats. Looking at the six nations teams plus the quad nations over the last four years only Italy (38.1%) has a worse home win ratio than Wales (41.1%).

Any major reason for this? Poor pitch not suiting their game? Pressure of the home crowd?

Too many pink cowboy hats and inflatable leeks. Very distracting to the players.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Did you realise that in every Six Nations Wales and England always have the contrasting fixtures. Whoever England play at home, Wales have away.

Is that because they used to share a stadium?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down