The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikkel Kessler

+12
ONETWOFOREVER
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
spencerclarke
AlexHuckerby
sittingringside
Haito
Seanusarrilius
TopHat24/7
azania
TRUSSMAN66
seanmichaels
16 posters

Go down

Mikkel Kessler Empty Mikkel Kessler

Post by seanmichaels Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

On the Hawkesby and Jacobs show on Talksport in the next hour or so.

Will put up a link later.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Mikkel Kessler Empty Re: Mikkel Kessler

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

Kessler is getting far too much hype....A child of his times..............

Does anybody have him beating any of the fab 4.........Watson, Eubank, Benn or Calzaghe???

We know he lost to an old Joe...........I'd pick all the others to beat him to.....

Might give Irish boy a fight though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

So he shouldn't be on the radio and he shouldn't be promoting his fight because he probably could not have beaten those 4 guys.

All hype.

His fight with Froch is a great match up and should be promoted heavily with or without PPV.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:16 pm

Did I say that..... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

You say an awful lot of nothing then.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

You're starting again aren't you????...........

Bless..... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

Nope.

So what are you saying then?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

I'm suggesting he's overrated............but nowhere did I suggest he shouldn't try to plug his fight...

But then deliberate misinterpretation.. and taking people out of context is all part of your game....to try to get into an argument with somebody!!

I can't be a***d...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

So because he's over-rated he shouldn't be promoted so heavily for his upcoming fight with Froch? And being on some obscure radio station is him being a sign of our times?

All fights are hyped and this deserves hyping seeing as it is the second and third best guys in their division who have shown in their previous fight that they are prone to wars.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Kessler is getting far too much hype....A child of his times..............

Does anybody have him beating any of the fab 4.........Watson, Eubank, Benn or Calzaghe???

We know he lost to an old Joe...........I'd pick all the others to beat him to.....

He lost to a prime Joe, not an 'old' one.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

I'd pick Kesler to beat Benn. Too good a boxer and stronger at the weight. Benn will not be able to take his punches. Mikel will be too clever and will not be as reckless as Gman was.

Mid round KO for Mik.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Kessler is getting far too much hype....A child of his times..............

Are we referring to these guys as the Fab Four now, Truss?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:20 pm

azania wrote:I'd pick Kesler to beat Benn. Too good a boxer and stronger at the weight. Benn will not be able to take his punches. Mikel will be too clever and will not be as reckless as Gman was.

Mid round KO for Mik.

Too good a boxer?? Mikel will be too clever?? Different Kessler to the one ive seen then.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:24 pm

Haito wrote:
azania wrote:I'd pick Kesler to beat Benn. Too good a boxer and stronger at the weight. Benn will not be able to take his punches. Mikel will be too clever and will not be as reckless as Gman was.

Mid round KO for Mik.

Too good a boxer?? Mikel will be too clever?? Different Kessler to the one ive seen then.

Too good a boxer for Benn. Clever in the sense that he wouldn't knacker himself out trying to go for the KO either.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:29 pm

It wouldnt be anything other than a war im afraid. A terrific fight and Kessler hits hard and is the naturally bigger man so yeah he could win for sure but to right Benn off in that kind of fight would be very risky as he proved against Gman, Barkley etc and to call Kessler "too good a boxer" and "too clever" is nonsense. Kessler would turn up and trade toe to toe.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:42 pm

Haito wrote:It wouldnt be anything other than a war im afraid. A terrific fight and Kessler hits hard and is the naturally bigger man so yeah he could win for sure but to right Benn off in that kind of fight would be very risky as he proved against Gman, Barkley etc and to call Kessler "too good a boxer" and "too clever" is nonsense. Kessler would turn up and trade toe to toe.
It would be a war. Benn's weaknesses were against straight punchers. Kessler had more variety also. He could mix it up and confuse Benn and either outpoint him or more likely KO him..

Has Kessler hurt Benn in the same manner Gman did, I doubt Benn would see the end of the round.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:50 pm

and im sure Kessler would have just walked through Benn's best shots. Kessler has showed against Froch that he is very open and is there to be hit and not many hit harder than Benn. Im not saying your wrong in the outcome but think you are wrong to right Benn off in a fight that would have suited him. It would be a pick em for me. maybe slightly favour Benn
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:57 pm

Benn wasn't as devastating at SMW. Kessler is more of a small LHW with benn a very small SMW> He was also a small MW. Kessler has a strong and proven chin and bags of will. He will win in an exciting fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:05 pm

Still had more than enough clout to have been a threat though.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:11 pm

azania wrote:
Haito wrote:It wouldnt be anything other than a war im afraid. A terrific fight and Kessler hits hard and is the naturally bigger man so yeah he could win for sure but to right Benn off in that kind of fight would be very risky as he proved against Gman, Barkley etc and to call Kessler "too good a boxer" and "too clever" is nonsense. Kessler would turn up and trade toe to toe.
It would be a war. Benn's weaknesses were against straight punchers. Kessler had more variety also. He could mix it up and confuse Benn and either outpoint him or more likely KO him..

Has Kessler hurt Benn in the same manner Gman did, I doubt Benn would see the end of the round.

I don't see Kessler as being a better finisher than the G-man!

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:26 pm

As promised from 14.33hrs: http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/108660

Pretty standard stuff. not that interesting but seems a nice guy. Mentioned Groves facing the winner.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

sittingringside wrote:
azania wrote:

I don't see Kessler as being a better finisher than the G-man!

I see your point. But I'd say a more intelligent finisher. Gman just waded in on a seek and destroy mission when he got someone hurt. Kessler seems to pick his punches better. At least that's what I see the difference.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:21 pm

Have him beating Eubank and Benn as much as it hurts me, would give Watson a terrific fight that would be pretty close.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:31 pm

I think I would have him to beat all three. Not every time but more often than not.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Have him beating Eubank and Benn as much as it hurts me, would give Watson a terrific fight that would be pretty close.

Alex, you're quite young aren't you? How can you say that? Hungry Eubank whoops Kessler.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:58 pm

Its true. Eubank could seriously bang and Kesslers a little too open to beat Eubank. He might beat SMW Benn, who has lost some of the pop at the higher weight but it wont be a rollover. I think all Benn did againt Gman after the initial violence was duck, Gman threw only straight and sometimes hooks. Smarter than the MW benn but slightly less intense. Watson, I think gets bullied, not much going for him apart from being a decent boxer - Neither the intensity of Benn nor the ability to hurt an opponent from nowhere from Eubank. Joe has already beaten him - once he figured him out it was one way traffic.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

Put it this way Kessler beat Froch and i'd make him favourite over all of Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:46 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Put it this way Kessler beat Froch and i'd make him favourite over all of Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson.

Sorry that is just crazy.

TRUSS is right about Kessler in a way. There is hype surrounding Kessler but he is a decent fighter.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

Froch as far as i'm concerned is a level up from the 90's lot, they had a few good fights between eachother and the odd one against world class opposition but on the whole they fought garbage or lost. They're romanticised but I just don't think they're as good as some care to remember.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:58 pm

Froch is getting massively overrated it appears. He wouldn't beat any of the 90s lot.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm

Collins and Benn would be the easiest of the lot, he has the chin not to be bothered by either of them as well as just being a better boxer than the pair. Eubank remains an enigma, he could win but isn't active enough for me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm

I think Eubank is probably the most overrated of the lot myself. His aristocratic behaviour and penchant for posturing I think made him seem like a more cultured technical boxer than he actually was and helped him sneak fights that he could well have lost to fairly average fighters. It was actually when he had to brawl that he was probably best.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:11 pm

azania wrote:Froch is getting massively overrated it appears. He wouldn't beat any of the 90s lot.

Can I ask what 'that' lot is? And I assume you mean GB guys? (yes I haven't read every comment)

Eubank? Hated being swarmed, loved being in control of the pace. Would be drawn in to a war and it would be like him vs Benn but against a guy who was a better fighter. Froch 115-113 SD sort of call but a clear winner.

Benn? FOTY through and through, but Benn lacked the smart to mix it with a guy who could/would 'fight'. By that I mean Froch is cuter than people give him credit for. Benn never was. Froch stops him around round 9 after having some success.

RJJ dances circles round him before you ask, poorer boxer than Ward but still as wrong stylistically. And by poorer boxer Ward has it all, RJJ had speed and when he lost that got nailed. Ward is the new Bhop but with the added natural ability he never had.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:25 pm

Gee wrote:
azania wrote:Froch is getting massively overrated it appears. He wouldn't beat any of the 90s lot.

Can I ask what 'that' lot is? And I assume you mean GB guys? (yes I haven't read every comment)

Eubank? Hated being swarmed, loved being in control of the pace. Would be drawn in to a war and it would be like him vs Benn but against a guy who was a better fighter. Froch 115-113 SD sort of call but a clear winner.

Benn? FOTY through and through, but Benn lacked the smart to mix it with a guy who could/would 'fight'. By that I mean Froch is cuter than people give him credit for. Benn never was. Froch stops him around round 9 after having some success.

RJJ dances circles round him before you ask, poorer boxer than Ward but still as wrong stylistically. And by poorer boxer Ward has it all, RJJ had speed and when he lost that got nailed. Ward is the new Bhop but with the added natural ability he never had.

Eubank is the one who would beat Froch easiest imo. You say he didn't like being swarmed? I disagree. He preferred guys to come to him instead of going to look for them. His problem is that he had a tendency to take his foot off the gas and that could give Froch the chance to outpoint him. If a washed up Jermain Taylor can box rings round Froch, Eubank does the same.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

I'd pick Eubank and Calzaghe to beat Froch....I'd also give Watson a damn good chance....

Benn might be more to Froch's taste......

All these guys are better than anything Froch's beat so far.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

Can anyone name a great Froch performance against a top tier fighter?

Pascal - could have gone either way close fight
Taylor - down in the 3rd needed a knock out to win
Kessler - Went toe to toe and lost with a fighter does nothing more then jab jab straight right
Ward - Outboxed, outthought, outworked.
Abraham - Euro level at best, never world elite
Bute - Exposed against Froch.

Froch has a lot of hype because he is involved in exciting fights but most P4P fighters have a few dominant performances against top level fighters

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:40 pm

What is the point of these over exaggerated breakdowns? If you do the same for Benn, Eubank or Collins you end up getting a similar result.

Froch has never struggled to beat Ray Close or Dan Schommer or avoided the top fighters in his division.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm

Pascal wasn't a close fight that could have gone either way. Froch won by 2-3 rounds. Lets not start making shyte up just to make a point.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:24 pm

Can't see Kessler beating an on song Eubanks.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 9:15 am

azania wrote:Pascal wasn't a close fight that could have gone either way. Froch won by 2-3 rounds. Lets not start making shyte up just to make a point.

Shocked

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 14 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

Garbage article..........is that the correct terminology?

Of the interviews I have seen given by Calzaghe he has always been more respectful to Kessler than to any other fighter. I expect he sees Kessler as his toughest fight alongside the spoilfest rubbish fight he had with Hopkins.

As for the "Fab Four" picard Kessler is better fighter because he has put himself up there against the best which can hardly be said about Eubank and Benn. Benn beat a guy who was having brain injury problems before he even stepped into the ring that night. Benn, Eubank et al are far more over rated than Kessler.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

Strongback wrote:Garbage article..........is that the correct terminology?

who stole your lucky charms?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 14 Mar 2013, 11:51 am

He seems to use that phrase a bit around here........thought I'd take a leaf.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

"Kessler is better fighter because he has put himself up there against the best which can hardly be said about Eubank and Benn. Benn beat a guy who was having brain injury problems before he even stepped into the ring that night. Benn, Eubank et al are far more over rated than Kessler."

What??. To use The gman fight against Benn in anyway is low and how do you know Gman was having brain problems before he stepped into the ring??. You dont. Its fabrication.

The only reason Benn didnt fight the likes of Toney and Jones Jr was not Benn's fault he was hardly ducking anybody. Im not saying he would have beat them but he would have fought them. He was still calling Jones jr out in 1995. He went over to America looking for those fights. After beating De-witt and Barkley the only offers he got in the US was a fight with Tommy Hearns or he could earn a big pay day to fight Eubank so he returned home

Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down