The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ferris going to Japan next year - Irish Times

+11
RubyGuby
bedfordwelsh
captainrapido
sickofwendy
rodders
profitius
geoff998rugby
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
brennomac
15 posters

Go down

Ferris going to Japan next year - Irish Times Empty Ferris going to Japan next year - Irish Times

Post by brennomac Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

Report in Irish Times today says Stephen Ferris going to play in Japan next year because he's p1ssed off with a much reduced central contract from the IRFU. Seems that (like Leinster with Sexton) Ulster can't top up his central contract to keep him. Ferris is only 27, much younger that most internationals who go to Japan for a pre-retirement payday, so does suggest that the IRFU aren't convinced that Ferris's knees will hold up for the next few years. Either way, it's bad news for Ulster, bad news for Ireland - although POM's development this year has been excellent and he looks like a ready replacement for Ferris. Ferris has been fantastic for Ireland - awful shame that it looks like he's quitting Ireland for Japan with a sour taste in his mouth. He deserves better.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Ferris going to Japan next year - Irish Times Empty Re: Ferris going to Japan next year - Irish Times

Post by lostinwales Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

Given the injury situation I think we should just be glad if he can walk away

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Ferris going to Japan next year - Irish Times Empty Re: Ferris going to Japan next year - Irish Times

Post by brennomac Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

Sorry, here's link to Irish Times story on Ferris

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/japan-bound-ferris-set-to-leave-ulster-1.1324280

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:58 pm

I suspect he doesn't represent value for money to the IRFU what with his injury record. Ulster won't be able to compete financially with the Japanese clubs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:00 pm

Bad news for all involved in my opinion.

Poor decision by Ferris in my view. If he really has to leave Ireland, Japan is not the solution, not at this stage of his career.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:00 pm

brennomac wrote: Ferris has been fantastic for Ireland - awful shame that it looks like he's quitting Ireland for Japan with a sour taste in his mouth. He deserves better.

IF and it is a big IF he goes it willl be because the medical reports are not good and it has been decided he will not be offered a Central Contract and that his days on a rugby pitch are numbered and he probably feels he might as well cash in money wise.

No ill feeling, no sour taste - it is my belief this is paper speculation.

IF he goes to Japan it is because he is finished as a front line rugby player.
I think the writing, as many of us feared, is on the wall

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

That would be a big loss but it might give him time to sort out his injuries in a less competitive league.

You can see why the IRFU are reluctant to give him a big deal. He is injured half the time so they might be looking at it in terms of value for money while he is looking at it in terms of his talent.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm

I think its a good decision, if this happens. He'll make big money out there in what will probably be his last contract and the league will be much less physical.

Obviously I want him to stay but given his knees he has to do whats best and if I were him I wouldn't accept a reduced contract at this stage of his career.

He's given his all for Ulster and Ireland and wrecked his body in the process and we can ask no more. Legend.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:33 pm

Always impressed when I've seen him,very tough player.I remember haskell trying to intimidate him at HQ in 2010.He just laughed at him.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by captainrapido Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:40 pm

Speaking as an English fan, he is the sort of player Haskell wishes he was. Just immense.

captainrapido

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:33 pm

Strange move at his time in his carear though maybe hes taking injuries into consideration etc.

Do Ireland have a policy on picking overseas players?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

I would have thought that such a national hero would be able to secure a lucrative job in his own country and play rugby thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Strange move at his time in his carear though maybe hes taking injuries into consideration etc.

Do Ireland have a policy on picking overseas players?

Yeah. They have to be clearly better than any Irish based player. They won't be picking Ferris if he goes to Japan. Its too far away.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:18 pm

Ireland's equivalent of Juan Smith. With Kahui they can swap injury stories on the bench. Shame to see this calibre of player end their international careers like that. At least Kahui and Smith got World Cup medals. Ferris just has a big fat pay check to commiserate him. Sad

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:31 pm

Ye Kia, Ferris is one of the bravest guys I've had the privilage to watch so it is a shame that he is going out like this from top flight rugby, but his knees and his most recent long term injury being his ankle, have clearly taken their toll and the medics clearly do not like the look of scans etc and prognoses . I mean, 4 games for this season says it all.

can I ask a more informed Ulster fan if they have figures for his game timeover the past few season? I wouldn't be surprised to read if he hasn;t had too many season with more than 15 matches. Ireland's player are managed that the maximum anyone will play is 35 I think;

Roughly speaking that breaks down at 3 Autumn Ints, 5 Six Nations matches, 9 Heinekin Cup games, and then no more than 12-14 Rabo games and 3 SH Tour matches. So circa 34/35 games.

I wish him the best in Japan if he does go and that when he does take the boots off for the last time, it is without pain or long term damage to his post rugby life.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

If he moves to Japan then it wont have been purely down to the central contract situation surely? He'd be able to get a much bigger contract than his Irish one in France without giving up his international hopes. Japan sounds like he's not sure how much longer he's got.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:37 pm

thomh wrote:If he moves to Japan then it wont have been purely down to the central contract situation surely? He'd be able to get a much bigger contract than his Irish one in France without giving up his international hopes. Japan sounds like he's not sure how much longer he's got.

That or maybe the french and/or English clubs haven't been sniffing around him and that this was a 'come-and-get-me' leak to the media. Now, it is not like the French or English clubs would plow money into a player that has a dubious injury record without wanting some certainty on that score, but unlike sexton, they may well have just not contacted him or his agent to ask him. we shall see what happens in any respect anyway.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 14 Mar 2013, 6:38 pm

Yeh that's true - I meant assuming that the move to Japan actually materialises though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

I think with his injury record moving to France or England, where he'd have to play way more games, would probably not be a viable option for Ferris.

I suspect he knows this which is why Japan is being considered as the main alternative if is central contract deal falls through.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 14 Mar 2013, 7:33 pm

A huge shame, at his brief peak, our most important player in my opinion, our Bakkies Botha in terms of impact. I wish him all the best, he deserves whatever he can get.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down