The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hagler Retired and Stayed Away: Leonard Didn't

5 posters

Go down

Hagler Retired and Stayed Away: Leonard Didn't Empty Hagler Retired and Stayed Away: Leonard Didn't

Post by davidemore Wed 13 Mar - 22:53

Interesting isn't it?

Hagler lost a fight he should have won, really. But, he knew it was the end of the line, he knew he could walk away an ATG, comfortable he had his moments in the sun, made his fortune, gave it his all, fought the best.

Leonard went on to lose to guys he would have smashed in his prime.

Hagler avenged all but one defeat and walked away, let his glory resonate. That's why they call him marvelous, the man's discipline is amazing. Especially when you consider it's a sport that always sees a fighter have one too many fights.

Did Hagler go out with one fight too early?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Hagler Retired and Stayed Away: Leonard Didn't Empty Re: Hagler Retired and Stayed Away: Leonard Didn't

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar - 22:57

No.

azania

Back to top Go down

Hagler Retired and Stayed Away: Leonard Didn't Empty Re: Hagler Retired and Stayed Away: Leonard Didn't

Post by davidemore Wed 13 Mar - 22:59

Clinical AZ, and I agree, he went at the right time. There was no rematch available.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar - 23:03

I think he started wearing silk pyjamas.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Mar - 23:09

Hagler just accepted that he could not do much against slick boxers like Leonard. Guys like Mugabi, and Hearns who come forward suit him more. Hagler tried for 12 rounds to ko Leonard but was in the end played with even tho I had it closer then the official card.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Mar - 23:18

Accepted he couldn't do much with slick boxers? What???

He tried for ages to get a rematch with Leonard.

As big a fan as I am of Ray's , it's fairly obvious Hagler would have easily beat Ray in the rematch.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Mar - 23:44

It wasn't that obvious. I had Marv winning and would have chosen him to win a rematch convincingly. But this is Sugar Ray and he would never have been easy for anyone.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Mar - 23:52

Ray's got a chance in the rematch sure, but I just suspect his nerve wouldn't have held out. Hagler would have known what to expect second time round. I have a feeling a stoppage would be on the cards. Or Ray running the full twelve, Hagler winning a shutout ud.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 14 Mar - 0:01

I reckon Hagler would have ran through him knowing that Sugar couldn't hurt him. But, perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part as I suspect it wouldn't have been easy. The change Marvin would have made would have been to me more agressive and why the hell he came out orthodox for 4 rounds only he knows.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 14 Mar - 0:17

Ray only got the decision because they took it as red there'd be an immediate rematch. Another multi million dollar fight.

If they'd given it to Marv, Marv could have walked away, didn't need to rematch.

Ray didn't play ball. He wanted Marv to go to his grave with that defeat. It's called rivalry. And it rankles Marv to this day. It must give Ray a nice warm glow when he wakes up every morning. Still makes me chuckle too.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 14 Mar - 8:43

They called him marvelous marvin because he changed his name to marvelous marvin.

He retired a very bitter man, no comeback was less about discipline and more about disillusionment.

I'm intrigued as to how hagler walks through Srl in any rematch.. When he failed to do so in the first encounter. He might well have won the rematch, i'm sure he wasnt stupid enough to fight orthodox for a few rounds twice, but there's no guarantees. Both were past their best, a rematch just has both further past their best.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 14 Mar - 10:34

Milky,

Hagler probably doesn't walk through SRL in a rematch. But even you must see that sentiment plays a role in these things.

After all the complaints about the scoring after the fight, if the second fight had been a replica of the first, then Hagler would have got the decision.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 14 Mar - 10:40

Leonard was out of action for 3 years before the Hagler fight and Hagler still could not do the job. He retired because he knew he was useless against the type of boxer Leonard was.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 14 Mar - 10:50

Even me? Whistle

Hermy, history overplays the controversy. One card was way out. Most had Leonard winning at the time, and even now opinions are fairly evenly divided. Close fight, no robbery

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 14 Mar - 11:10

Hey Milkers, I've got a lot of respect for you the way you defend Ray in the face of those fanatical Hagler fans.

But in a close SD, where no superiority is established, don't you think Ray showed a lack of class by not granting a rematch? And didn't he give Hagler the moral victory?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 14 Mar - 11:32

Yep, I think he should have offered him one, hermy, of stayed retired. And its a shame the first one didn't happen earlier.

Shame hagler didn't chase spinks, instead of the big names on his cv being smaller guys moving up too. But such comments have been known to incite riots on other boards!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down