The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lenzerheide - more cancellations!

Go down

Lenzerheide - more cancellations! Empty Lenzerheide - more cancellations!

Post by Bleausardv2 Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 am

What a pity that, once again, world cup placings in both overall and individual disciplines have been decided by bad luck, poor weather and FIS intransigence! Svindal has won his first downhill crystal globe, and deservedly so, but as he has noted, the cancellation gives him little chance now of catching Hirscher for the overall title. In the women's events, Tina Maze missed out on the downhill title by just 1 point when the race was cancelled. There are arguments on both sides about how fair it was that Lindsey Vonn therefore just takes the title - certainly Vonn dominated the discipline before her accident, without which she would almost certainly have destroyed the rest of the field, and I suspect that even Maze would concede that. On the other hand Vonn was extremely vocal about the FIS decision making two years ago when a similar decision cost her the overall title - Höfl-Riesch beat her by only 3 points after 2 races were cancelled, also in Lenzerheide! At least this suggests that the FIS don't have a pro or anti USA bias; but you have to question why races, even this late in the season, can't be rescheduled (into the team event slot, as many have suggested due to it's relative lack of popularity) and also the FIS choice of venues/dates.

At present the Super G races are also postponed - I know it's an outdoor sport, but maybe this venue shouldn't be used for the final races of the series again? Not the way anyone really wants an exciting season to end - not with a bang etc!! No real surprises - both Super Gs also cancelled - 4 races scheduled, none completed and Klaus Kröll injured; not a happy end to the season, but hopefully the rest will happen.
Bleausardv2
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down